"Ban evasion"

Put any feedback about the game here.

"Ban evasion"

Postby yummyporkchops » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 am

Apologies if someone has already made a post regarding this, but I just found out about this and would like some clarification.

...Correct me if I'm wrong, but is ban evasion no longer a thing? Before ToS became P2P, players whose accounts were banned weren't allowed to make new ones, but now it's okay for people to do that only after P2P was set in place?

I understand that being banned does not mean you must have been extremely toxic or worthy of contempt. Though having the game as P2P did reduce the number of bots, it's still allowing repeat offenders back into the community. The only difference is that they have to pay for a new account, which means more $$$ for BMG... so the only reason I see for abandoning the punishment of ban evasion (or tolerating it) is a total cash-grab in and of itself.
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Re: "Ban evasion"

Postby Tahee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 am

Banning people for ban evasion was silly to begin with. In the past everyone could've just made a new account, banned or not, and they wouldn't be caught. Only a few people actually got apprehended for it and it was mostly because they weren't hiding it (similar username + same old racism). IMO catching any other ban-evader is a huge wasted efforts by the mods since the evaders can recreate anew in a few seconds whereas finding them would take significantly more time. while true they can check their IP address to see if there's a match, but that begs the question whether it could be a sibling, same school ip, or even a internet hotspot, not to mention how easy accessible vpns are. Ultimately opens up a huge can of warms that nobody wants to handle. Theres a reason why no modern gaming company handles it.
Tahee
Survivor
Survivor

Postby yummyporkchops » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 am

Tahee wrote:Banning people for ban evasion was silly to begin with. In the past everyone could've just made a new account, banned or not, and they wouldn't be caught. Only a few people actually got apprehended for it and it was mostly because they weren't hiding it (similar username + same old racism). IMO catching any other ban-evader is a huge wasted efforts by the mods since the evaders can recreate anew in a few seconds whereas finding them would take significantly more time. while true they can check their IP address to see if there's a match, but that begs the question whether it could be a sibling, same school ip, or even a internet hotspot, not to mention how easy accessible vpns are. Ultimately opens up a huge can of warms that nobody wants to handle. Theres a reason why no modern gaming company handles it.

I see your point. However, the motivation appears to be the fact that BMG can now profit off ban evaders, rather than it being difficult and inconvenient to find ban evaders and enforcing that particular rule in the game. If it were the latter, then ban evasion would still be punishable even after the paywall, especially since the paywall was specifically meant for deterring bots. They seemingly dropped the rule only after people had to pay money. Essentially, it doesn't matter that you're breaking rules and being banned, just so long as you're giving them money by buying more accounts.
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Postby Villagerlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm

According to BMG, ban evasion is against their rules, and will result in you getting banned.

Well, that is if they somehow catch you, and have definite proof that it's the exact same ban evader. Which is...pretty much never.
Honestly if you get banned and make a new account under a different username, I can't possibly see how they could catch you in the act unless you're being really obvious about it. (By being obvious, I mean like using the same username, or displaying the same behavior)
Last edited by Villagerlover on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Chemist1422 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Since the P2P change ban evasion is now allowed.
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Villagerlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Chemist1422 wrote:Since the P2P change ban evasion is now allowed.

No. It's not allowed.

But from a human factor, it's probably just more tolerable/non-priority over other rules.
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Chemist1422 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Subject: Appealing my ban

Jerme wrote:We usually do not approve the so called "banevasion", but after the change to pay2play it is tolerated.
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?

Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Villagerlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Huh...wow, that's new I guess. I'm totally wrong then.

BlankMediaGame's Forum Rules wrote:10. Should your account be disciplined with a ban, you cannot register with a new account to start posting again.
This rule also applies to FM Blacklists.
Bans are given for a reason. We have no tolerance for ban-evaders, so creating a new account to get around it will just result in you getting banned again. If you are caught assisting someone from evading their ban in any way, you will be given a Board Warning. This includes, but is not limited to: Creating the account then letting them using it, giving them advice to not get caught, not reporting a known ban-evader, etc.) If you are blacklisted in FM, you are considered banned from FM. If you're found out to be playing in FM while blacklisted, you will be given one Board Warning and the alternate banned. Continuing to try to play after the Board Warning will result in a ban for your main. Further punishment may be handed out by Forum Mafia Moderators if they deem it necessary.

Though, they should really change this rule here since that's the case.
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Chemist1422 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Villagerlover wrote:Huh...wow, that's new I guess. I'm totally wrong then.

BlankMediaGame's Forum Rules wrote:10. Should your account be disciplined with a ban, you cannot register with a new account to start posting again.
This rule also applies to FM Blacklists.
Bans are given for a reason. We have no tolerance for ban-evaders, so creating a new account to get around it will just result in you getting banned again. If you are caught assisting someone from evading their ban in any way, you will be given a Board Warning. This includes, but is not limited to: Creating the account then letting them using it, giving them advice to not get caught, not reporting a known ban-evader, etc.) If you are blacklisted in FM, you are considered banned from FM. If you're found out to be playing in FM while blacklisted, you will be given one Board Warning and the alternate banned. Continuing to try to play after the Board Warning will result in a ban for your main. Further punishment may be handed out by Forum Mafia Moderators if they deem it necessary.

Though, they should really change this rule here since that's the case.

Pretty sure that specifically applies to forums.
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?

Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Return to Feedback