Ranked Mode needs changes

Put any feedback about the game here.

Does the system of joining Ranked Mode need fixing? Is this a good solution?

Ranked needs to be fixed, and I like this solution.
77%
Ranked needs to be fixed, but I can think of a better solution, which I'll mention in the comments.
14%
Ranked is fine, I'm totally cool with playing with n00bs in a mode that's meant for experienced players.
9%

Total votes : 64

Re: Ranked Mode needs changes

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:46 pm

TheMajesticSammie wrote:
Tooshy wrote:Name one game where only good players are allowed to play ranked. I don't know even one.

And I am certainly not in the 1% with the amount I play, it was just an example.

I don't think you understand. Ranked was designed specifically for good players, that's why they implemented the feature where you have to play 50 rounds of ToS before you can join Ranked. But it's not effective enough. Ranked is where people go to avoid inexperienced/nooby players, and if that doesn't work, then what's the point? Without proper limits, Ranked is just the same as classic, and it's basically pointless.

"Name one game where only good players are allowed to play ranked."
Town of Salem.
But the filter is broken, so noobs get in all the time, even though they're not supposed to.

The ELO system is also broken. If you have a rough start, no matter how good of a player you are, you'll end up with low ELO. And you know what happens next? You STAY there. Not because you're bad at the game, but because you're stuck with the inexperienced players that result to random lynching to solve their problems. Your faction will be filled with noobs, and will literally shit itself every time. That's why it's called "ELO hell"- once you get in, you can't get out, and it sucks, because you'll never be able to be in a game with decent players, ever again. It is literally hell.

There's literally nothing else I can add to this.
But I can put it in layman's terms: Ranked = For Not Awful Players
Everything else= Fair Game
canadian joker says a lot aboot society
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby TheMajesticSammie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:54 pm

HereThereEverywhere wrote:There's literally nothing else I can add to this.

What he said, in caveman's terms:

RANKED=GOOD PLAYERS
NOT RANKED=BAD PLAYERS

I hope you understand now.
TheMajesticSammie
Spy
Spy

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:16 pm

TheMajesticSammie wrote:

RANKED=GOOD PLAYERS
NOT RANKED=BAD PLAYERS

What Sammie said in emojis, if you're still having trouble:
Ranked = :angel: Not Ranked = :devil:
Subtle jab at emoji users
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby TheMajesticSammie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:57 pm

HereThereEverywhere wrote:
TheMajesticSammie wrote:

RANKED=GOOD PLAYERS
NOT RANKED=BAD PLAYERS

What he said but in old person emojis:

Ranked= :) Not Ranked= :(
TheMajesticSammie
Spy
Spy

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:00 pm

TheMajesticSammie wrote:
TheMajesticSammie wrote:

RANKED=GOOD PLAYERS
NOT RANKED=BAD PLAYERS

Quality posts, people
This is not where you find them
What he said but in old person emojis:

Ranked= :) Not Ranked= :(

What Sammie said, but in some other way:
Ranked = People like us
Not Ranked = People who need emojis to understand what we're talking about
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Tooshy wrote:Many games have games played requirement for ranked, but they still allow players of all skill levels to play.

Also you bringing "elo hell" into this discussion just shows lack of experience. There is no such thing. Let go off that excuse and start being critical of your own play and you will be able to improve instead of being stuck in a cage made by yourself.

Also like I said earlier, if you keep filtering out "lowest skill" players from ranked, after filtering a couple layers you will find yourself to be removed. Or is the magical skill where players are good enough to enjoy your company exactly where you stand?

"Let go off that excuse..."
Let go off your inability to proofread, then you can tell us how we're bad players and how we should stop whining about a topic that a lot of people also agree with.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby randomguyhavingfun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Tooshy wrote:Many games have games played requirement for ranked, but they still allow players of all skill levels to play.

Also you bringing "elo hell" into this discussion just shows lack of experience. There is no such thing. Let go off that excuse and start being critical of your own play and you will be able to improve instead of being stuck in a cage made by yourself.

Also like I said earlier, if you keep filtering out "lowest skill" players from ranked, after filtering a couple layers you will find yourself to be removed. Or is the magical skill where players are good enough to enjoy your company exactly where you stand?

I don't care if I'm removed. If I'm low enough I should be removed with the others. It's common sense.

There is a thing such as ELO hell. Just lose some ELO till you drop under 800 and then play a few games. Personal skill does matter but I do wonder what kind of skill is saving you when your mafia kills and cleans the guy who accused you on the same night he did.
I have become what i despise, a man who despises himself.

Check out my role suggestions
http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=45162
the psychaiatrist
Do you also want a more balanched and competetitive ranked mode in patch 1.6? See my ranked suggestions
http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48199

How would a new investigator list with new roles look?
randomguyhavingfun
Godfather
Godfather

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Tooshy wrote:I could do that and "prove" you wrong, but what is there to gain. I did it once before but people don't change their opinions and it's just huge waste of my time on top of lowering game quality for people in low elo.

How about this instead: You put in the work and time to record one GOOD game of yours and upload it to youtube. I will watch the video and fairly comment / criticize your play. If your play is actually good I acknowledge that you belong to higher rating.

You don't seem to understand, we're not here for your opinion. I don't care whether or not you think I or anyone else deserves a certain ELO, and nobody else should either. This thread isn't "Hey guys do you think Ranked needs to be fixed?" it's "Ranked Mode needs changes" which it does, and this addresses one of the changes needed. If you don't think it needs changes, don't say that you'll judge our skills. Again, nobody asked you.
We're talking about ELO hell in ToS, ToS isn't other online games. Drop your ELO and see if it's real or not, better yet, make a new account so you can save yours, since you're apparently so good you get to decide who is and isn't.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:25 pm

Tooshy wrote:
You don't seem to understand, we're not here for your opinion. I don't care whether or not you think I or anyone else deserves a certain ELO, and nobody else should either. This thread isn't "Hey guys do you think Ranked needs to be fixed?" it's "Ranked Mode needs changes" which it does, and this addresses one of the changes needed. If you don't think it needs changes, don't say that you'll judge our skills. Again, nobody asked you.
We're talking about ELO hell in ToS, ToS isn't other online games. Drop your ELO and see if it's real or not, better yet, make a new account so you can save yours, since you're apparently so good you get to decide who is and isn't.

"Only people who agree with me are allowed to post in my suggestions"

I disagree with this change and that's what I originally said. You guys kept discussing it further and I kept answering. If you want to be elitist about who you play with, go make a discord community. Elitism is NOT for public matchmaking.

We're saying Ranked is for good players.
It is.
What do you have against a simple quiz making sure people actually know how to play the game before they get into Ranked? Seriously, I don't remember one thing you said against the quiz idea other than how we don't get to decide who is and isn't a good player, but you do.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Tooshy wrote:
You put in the work and time to record one GOOD game of yours and upload it to youtube. I will watch the video and fairly comment / criticize your play. If your play is actually good I acknowledge that you belong to higher rating.

Tooshy wrote:Who are you to decide what should be the entry level to ranked?

We're, or at least Sammie is, suggesting an idea to keep bad players out of Ranked, because they don't belong, and it'll show who is and isn't good enough to be in Ranked quite yet.

We're saying the same things.
You just think your opinion is a better judge of skill than a quiz that could actually be used to somewhat measure skills of players or at least their knowledge of the game. It's just that our idea makes more sense, Ranked is for those who want serious and good games, but to get to Ranked, you need to understand the basic concepts. I'm not going back, but you said that the Ranked requirements are high enough, if not too high. Ranked is not for everyone. Classic is for everyone. Ranked Practice is for everyone. All Any, Vigilantics, Rainbow, Custom, Rapid, those are for everyone. Ranked is not. That's why it has a requirement in the first place. It's just not enough of a requirement to keep the people who aren't ready yet out.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Tooshy wrote:It is faulty idea because you can't make proper questions for it. Either you make it too simple to serve any purpose or the questions will have multiple potentially correct answers. For example look at the first question in the OP. Answer a) can be perfectly legit play and you definitely can't call it a misplay that excludes you from ranked. And that was pretty damn simple question.

Similarly the other questions are faulty too. Who says that bodyguard is most likely GF claim? Who says that the survivor claim is legit just because there is no cc? Why would spy waste time asking for others investigators to check the person?

I don't see this suggestion doing any good while requiring significant amount of work to do.

Sammie literally said these are just example questions.
Behold had a good one, what does it mean when a Veteran dies to the Veteran they visited. That's a good question, because it makes sure you know how Disguiser works.
You really aren't reading well enough.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Damafaud » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Well, I think this would be a good idea. Apart from the requirement to play 50 Ranked Practise game, the quiz could improve player's knowledge. Maybe 25 questions will suffice? Too many could be boring, and too less will no cover much area.
Hi.
Toasts are nice. And cookies. COOKIES!

Damafaud
Consort
Consort

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 pm

Damafaud wrote:Well, I think this would be a good idea. Apart from the requirement to play 50 Ranked Practise game, the quiz could improve player's knowledge. Maybe 25 questions will suffice? Too many could be boring, and too less will no cover much area.

Yeah, we don't want it too long that it gets a lot of flak, but too short'll be too easy.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby TheMajesticSammie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:32 pm

If Ranked mode isn't for experienced players, then what makes it any different from classic?
TheMajesticSammie
Spy
Spy

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:33 pm

TheMajesticSammie wrote:If Ranked mode isn't for experienced players, then what makes it any different from classic?

The rolelist.
Oh yeah, another example that Ranked is for good/experienced players is Ranked Practice.

Literally a Practice mode to prepare players for Ranked.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby TheMajesticSammie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Tooshy is either

A) A troll
or
B) A little kid who feels entitled to play in every gamemode, no matter his skill level

Either way, you're just bumping this thread, so thanks :)
TheMajesticSammie
Spy
Spy

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:43 pm

TheMajesticSammie wrote:Tooshy is either

A) A troll
or
B) A little kid who feels entitled to play in every gamemode, no matter his skill level

Either way, you're just bumping this thread, so thanks :)

I've bumped worse threads for worse reasons.
Though usually those threads are mine.

This is a good idea though.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:06 am

Tooshy wrote:You two are impossible to discuss with so you can keep your thread all to yourselves. "Anyone who disagrees with us is a troll/idiot" attitude is really overpowered in feedback forums! Just look at your biased poll.

Enjoy the "Elo hell".

I've seen more experienced players talk about how Elo Hell is horrible. Why should I believe you over them?

Ranked is for good players. Not for bad ones.
Most people know this.
Most people is not you, apparently.
We try to help you understand, but you just say we're shitty players and to stop whining about how much we suck. Oh, and THEN you tell us to show you some gameplay of ours so YOU can tell US we don't suck, but we want to make a FAIR quiz to help people who DON'T suck get into Ranked, while those who do can practice more before being let in. We want a fair and unbiased quiz to judge people's skill, whereas you think your opinion is a better judge of experience.
So why shouldn't we believe you're either trolling or not listening? I wont go as far to say stupid, because people on the internet are all stupid. But you're making it hard to believe that you're actually trying to argue, here.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Tooshy wrote:Ranked is for:

1) Experienced players = players that know basic mechanics of the game. This does NOT mean good players.

2) Competitive players = Players that play to win. This does NOT mean good players.

Ranked was NOT designed for good players. Ranked was designed for COMPETITIVE players of ALL skill levels.

You pull off so many argumentation errors it's actually insane.

When I say good I mean "Players that know the basic mechanics of the game" because if they don't know the basics, they're probably not good players.
And we're insane now?
You seriously don't get why we're brushing you off?
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby TheMajesticSammie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Tooshy wrote:Ranked is for:

1) Experienced players = players that know basic mechanics of the game. This does NOT mean good players.

2) Competitive players = Players that play to win. This does NOT mean good players.

Ranked was NOT designed for good players. Ranked was designed for COMPETITIVE players of ALL skill levels.

You pull off so many argumentation errors it's actually insane.

Good players are:
1) Experienced
2) Competitive
3) Intelligent/logical
4) Mature/not little kids
5) Not trolls/game-throwers/spammers

If you don't fit all of the above criteria, you shouldn't be playing Ranked.

We don't define "good" players as players with a high win rate. We define good players as players who know what they're doing and take the game seriously.
TheMajesticSammie
Spy
Spy

Postby ProblemsIRL » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Making ranked games more selective is a bad thing, and here's why:

First off, cue times are already pretty long as is (3 mins for me and I purchased the game through steam, which I supposedly have shorter cue times than browser players?). Making ranked more selective with a quiz (or whatever method really) means less players will be playing ranked, meaning cue times will go up even further, meaning more people will be annoyed by longer cue times, meaning more people will be playing ranked practice not wanting to cue for 5 mins, meaning.... You get the point.

Passing a quiz does also not equate to knowing game mechanics. You could hand a 10 question quiz to every ranked newcomer and if they're lucky they get 10 questions they know when there's like 5 questions in the roation that they don't know the answer to. Just get lucky and roll the right questions and you get to play ranked, ezpz. And now don't tell me you want to ask more than 10, ten would already be ridiculous if I could just play ranked practice without as much of a hassle. Seriously, who wants to do that?

Also, you're looking at this problem from the wrong angle. Say you do make ranked games more selective. Let's say you implement this kind of quiz to make sure that the bottom 20% of players for example can't play ranked anymore because they're knowledge of the game wasn't sufficient. All that's going to accomplish is to shift the distribution of people's ranks relative to their skill level. Suddenly the people that were the bottom 21-36% of players are now the botton 20% of the pack playing ranked and people will rage at them for making basic mistakes such as voting up the wrong person as mayor, executing the wrong person as jailor, etc etc.
My point is, no matter who plays ranked, someone HAS to be amongst the worst players in the rotation. And people will rage at them for that and complain on the forums to do something to get them out of ranked. So all you do by filtering out players from ranked is open the doors to complain about new people.

/nosupport

On a side note, I do find it incredibly hypocritical of Sammie to ask for better player selection in ranked when they just yesterday found out that the disguiser has been reworked weeks ago.
As you can see, keeping up to date with game knowledge isn't always a very straightforwards task. People just miss out on things.

This is a social-based game. The fact that there's so many different types of players is what makes Town of Salem what it is. In a way, it's a beautiful reflection of real life. You're gonna meet smart people, dumb people, loud and quiet people. You have to learn to deal with them somehow, both in ToS as well as real life. Sure there's boundaries to what you can and should do, but you can't exactly punish people for being dumb, or maybe just inexperienced?
Instead of trying to get inexperienced players out of ranked, help them. Take them by the hand, lead them through their role, explain their mistakes to them. Less hate and toxicity and more comradeship. Even if they're the Mayor and they wrote the wrong people, they're still your teammates. Help them out.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ProblemsIRL
Lookout
Lookout

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm

ProblemsIRL wrote:Making ranked games more selective is a bad thing, and here's why:

First off, cue times are already pretty long as is (3 mins for me and I purchased the game through steam, which I supposedly have shorter cue times than browser players?). Making ranked more selective with a quiz (or whatever method really) means less players will be playing ranked, meaning cue times will go up even further, meaning more people will be annoyed by longer cue times, meaning more people will be playing ranked practice not wanting to cue for 5 mins, meaning.... You get the point.

Passing a quiz does also not equate to knowing game mechanics. You could hand a 10 question quiz to every ranked newcomer and if they're lucky they get 10 questions they know when there's like 5 questions in the roation that they don't know the answer to. Just get lucky and roll the right questions and you get to play ranked, ezpz. And now don't tell me you want to ask more than 10, ten would already be ridiculous if I could just play ranked practice without as much of a hassle. Seriously, who wants to do that?

Also, you're looking at this problem from the wrong angle. Say you do make ranked games more selective. Let's say you implement this kind of quiz to make sure that the bottom 20% of players for example can't play ranked anymore because they're knowledge of the game wasn't sufficient. All that's going to accomplish is to shift the distribution of people's ranks relative to their skill level. Suddenly the people that were the bottom 21-36% of players are now the botton 20% of the pack playing ranked and people will rage at them for making basic mistakes such as voting up the wrong person as mayor, executing the wrong person as jailor, etc etc.
My point is, no matter who plays ranked, someone HAS to be amongst the worst players in the rotation. And people will rage at them for that and complain on the forums to do something to get them out of ranked. So all you do by filtering out players from ranked is open the doors to complain about new people.

/nosupport

On a side note, I do find it incredibly hypocritical of Sammie to ask for better player selection in ranked when they just yesterday found out that the disguiser has been reworked weeks ago.
As you can see, keeping up to date with game knowledge isn't always a very straightforwards task. People just miss out on things.

This is a social-based game. The fact that there's so many different types of players is what makes Town of Salem what it is. In a way, it's a beautiful reflection of real life. You're gonna meet smart people, dumb people, loud and quiet people. You have to learn to deal with them somehow, both in ToS as well as real life. Sure there's boundaries to what you can and should do, but you can't exactly punish people for being dumb, or maybe just inexperienced?
Instead of trying to get inexperienced players out of ranked, help them. Take them by the hand, lead them through their role, explain their mistakes to them. Less hate and toxicity and more comradeship. Even if they're the Mayor and they wrote the wrong people, they're still your teammates. Help them out.

This quiz would hopefully remove people lynching revealed Mayor(As Town, anyway)
Saying there will always be players worse than others means nothing. Yes, it's true. But what's the worst now shouldn't be so. People should know you don't lynch the Mayor as Town. Those who don't need to play other modes. Once those players are gone, the "Worst" players might just be people who aren't too good at scumreading. Ranked isn't for everyone, and those who really shouldn't be playing it can go play something like Ranked Practice. Ranked isn't the place where you go to learn the game. It's where you go after you HAVE learned the game.

Sammie not knowing the Disguiser rework means nothing, it's not like we'd be the ones designing the questions or anything. It just means Sammie would need to play a bit more or ask someone before going onto Ranked. Which is fair. When you play a video-game, the hardest difficulties aren't always unlocked from the start, you have to complete the other ones first. This is the same thing. You master the basics, and you get to move onto Ranked.
Ranked is for serious players. Not for players who lynch the Mayor because they didn't know.
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby TheMajesticSammie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:23 pm

ProblemsIRL wrote:So all you do by filtering out players from ranked is open the doors to complain about new people.

The point of this is to get rid of the players who legitimately have no idea what they're doing. Yes, not everyone is of the same skill level. Some are better than others. But the point of this test is to get rid of the ABSOLUTELY AWFUL players. When it's done, sure, there'll still be some players who aren't as good as others. But at least they're guaranteed to have a decent grasp of the gameplay, as opposed to the people who still don't know how arsonist works or don't bother to read wills.

Just the other day, I was playing ranked and some guy (a transporter) falsely claimed Jailor, AFTER the Jailor had already died, specifically to make himself suspicious. Why? I have no idea. As a vigilante, I assumed he was a Jester or something, so I tried to shoot him. But he transported himself with an escort, causing me to commit suicide (I would have whether or not I'd actually shot him anyway, but still.) So he simultaneously killed a vigilante while keeping his own dumb ass alive. He then proceeded to lynch the Mayor and transport himself into a Werewolf attack.

If you think that fuckery is acceptable in Ranked, then I don't know what isn't.
TheMajesticSammie
Spy
Spy

Postby Julien8080 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 am

I am all in favour of improving Ranked. However, this is not the way to do it. Within the first 15 minutes of a quiz being put up, an online solution will be posted. The fact that it is further barred makes it more alluring for trolls and bad players. Overall, I predict an increase of Ranked toxicity from this. It's nice to know that others want to fix Ranked too, though.
Spoiler: Rosebud is the sled.
Spoiler:
Julien8080
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby TheMajesticSammie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:13 am

Julien8080 wrote:I am all in favour of improving Ranked. However, this is not the way to do it. Within the first 15 minutes of a quiz being put up, an online solution will be posted. The fact that it is further barred makes it more alluring for trolls and bad players. Overall, I predict an increase of Ranked toxicity from this. It's nice to know that others want to fix Ranked too, though.

Well, the question numbers and answers would be shuffled, and there would be more questions total than there would be on each test, making it more difficult to cheat. Even if people did find a way to cheat, reading the cheat page would, ultimately, count as a study session for them. So, like it or not, they'll learn how to play.
TheMajesticSammie
Spy
Spy

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback