Update banned or forbidden names/words.

Put any feedback about the game here.

Update banned or forbidden names/words.

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:08 am

I've seen a massive increase in number of players who are racist.
With names such as N*gro (Should be obvious why this should be banned) to the actual username of "LynchtheN*ggy (Should also be obvious why this should be banned.) And while people may not consider this racist, names such as or equivalent to China virus, China Flu and so on should also be banned for the same exact reason. It's clear that while previously the low banned words amount actually was okay for Salem, as time goes on, people are gonna find ways around it.
It's time for it to be updated, to also catch some chat words as well, such as n * & % ÷ $ s (fill in the blanks, some people also get away with not spacing it and replacing the I with x, o or a.) It does not make me comfortable making this post, as I've always avoided it. But it's blatantly clear that people have already found a way around the current banned words list. It would go a long way to stop the long known Jester way of getting lynched by screaming racial slurs or just racism in general in the game. Remember, Toxicity /=/ racism, you'll probably never going to be able to fix toxicity due to the nature of the game, but you can at least curb the amount of racism.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Re: Update banned or forbidden names/words.

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:48 am

file a report and let the trial system handle them
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:45 am

kyuss420 wrote:file a report and let the trial system handle them

This is a threefold issue.
1. Reporting literally every racist I see is draining mentally, as I'm sure it is for a lot of people.
2. Ultimately, by updating the banned or forbidden words, you reduce the amount of reports, therefore reducing the workload on the mods as a whole.
3. Filing a report doesn't always mean they'll get banned in a timely manner. No offense to the mods, I'm sure they have a lot of reports to parse through, but often times a racist goes unbanned for several hours.

The most effective solution, and likely the easiest, is just to update the banned or forbidden words. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same or similar to when I originally joined TOS. This is a pretty consistent issue rather than individual groups of people, so while I do report literally every racist I see, it'd ultimately easier for everybody involved to reduce the amount of racist words they can use.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby OreCreeper » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:03 am

dbpeanut wrote:

1. Reporting literally every racist I see is draining mentally, as I'm sure it is for a lot of people.
2. Ultimately, by updating the banned or forbidden words, you reduce the amount of reports, therefore reducing the workload on the mods as a whole.
3. Filing a report doesn't always mean they'll get banned in a timely manner. No offense to the mods, I'm sure they have a lot of reports to parse through, but often times a racist goes unbanned for several hours.

The most effective solution, and likely the easiest, is just to update the banned or forbidden words. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same or similar to when I originally joined TOS. This is a pretty consistent issue rather than individual groups of people, so while I do report literally every racist I see, it'd ultimately easier for everybody involved to reduce the amount of racist words they can use.

Words like nagger are actual words that have no racist connotation so it makes no sense to ban those words.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby EqsyLootz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:46 am

dbpeanut wrote:

The Mods are not those who handle the Trial System fully. It's filled with Jurors whom decide which reports deserve to be inno'd and which ones should be guiltied and Sent to judges. reports do a lot for the community. And if you happen to notice severe cases of Racism I do suggest posting the reports in the subforum "Report a Player." If you happen to see Hate Speech and or lobby Reports. Although I suggest you provide screenshots.
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
General Salem Community Accomplishments.
~~Master Elo Ranked Player: 2.1k Elo~~
I'm also a damn Sunflower, Deal with it.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Flavorable » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:08 am

People will always find a way around filters, plain and simple. There is no way we can ever compile a list that covers every possible filter evasion.

Just report it and move on, that's the best and quickest way to handle things.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby dolphina » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:40 am

Flavorable wrote:People will always find a way around filters, plain and simple. There is no way we can ever compile a list that covers every possible filter evasion.

^ This. Why do you think there’s an Inappropriate Usernames 3.0 thread? For shits and giggles?
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Flavorable wrote:People will always find a way around filters, plain and simple. There is no way we can ever compile a list that covers every possible filter evasion.

I respectfully disagree about this being the best and quickest solution. We are talking about multiple 1 character changes or spaces in between letters that have been known and used for years. We are talking about slurs that have been used long before the game was made.
Would it not actually be more effective to ban some of the most used words and blatantly racist words outright, that way the reports the trial system does see are either reduced or more clear cut.
Respectfully Creeper, nagger is not used for it's original word primarily. It's primarily used by people avoiding the soft filter and this has been known for years.

dolphina wrote:

^ This. Why do you think there’s an Inappropriate Usernames 3.0 thread? For shits and giggles?

Even so, the banned and forbidden names list clearly needs updating if people can have "N*gro" as a name.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:33 pm

I would also like to add before anybody else says it. I report every single racist I come across. Every single one. But I've roughly seen 50 (low balling it due new accounts being a thing) within the last week, week and a half. This has been going on for years though. I'll obviously keep reporting them, I just want to see an actual solution.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:31 am

dbpeanut wrote:I would also like to add before anybody else says it. I report every single racist I come across. Every single one. But I've roughly seen 50 (low balling it due new accounts being a thing) within the last week, week and a half. This has been going on for years though. I'll obviously keep reporting them, I just want to see an actual solution.

Another thing with your idea, is that filtering any words with combinations of letters that could be racist, means that a lot of non racist words would be filtered. I mean just count how many times the word ''night'' is used per game. Now try to type it when the first 3 letters are filtered everytime....
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby dbpeanut » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:57 pm

The first 3 letters don't have to be filtered if the racist words themselves are banned. Often times though, when people go to be racist, they don't keep the first three letters together anyways. Or they change the I to various other vowels.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Flavorable » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:37 am

dbpeanut wrote:The first 3 letters don't have to be filtered if the racist words themselves are banned. Often times though, when people go to be racist, they don't keep the first three letters together anyways. Or they change the I to various other vowels.

Then what racist words are you coming across that aren't hard filtered?
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:09 am

Flavorable wrote:
dbpeanut wrote:The first 3 letters don't have to be filtered if the racist words themselves are banned. Often times though, when people go to be racist, they don't keep the first three letters together anyways. Or they change the I to various other vowels.

Then what racist words are you coming across that aren't hard filtered?

Words like N*ggy (shortened version of the full N word, relatively commonly used), N*gro (Only used for the racist connotation), words like Chinavirus, I've seen ch*nk at least a couple times (Asian slur), stuff you could find in a Google search in all honesty.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:21 am

I would like to add, that if you took a quick look through the unban requests, specifically the ones that have to do with hate speech, you'd probably find half a dozen words that just need to be hard filtered, such as b*#ner. Generally, if a word can consistently get you banned on TOS, it probably should be hard filtered. It also would theoretically reduce workload along the line. I can't imagine it's particularly easy updating the filter this late in the game, but it's been overdue for a while.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby MarsGodofWar » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:15 am

dbpeanut wrote:I've seen a massive increase in number of players who are racist.
With names such as N*gro (Should be obvious why this should be banned) to the actual username of "LynchtheN*ggy (Should also be obvious why this should be banned.) And while people may not consider this racist, names such as or equivalent to China virus, China Flu and so on should also be banned for the same exact reason. It's clear that while previously the low banned words amount actually was okay for Salem, as time goes on, people are gonna find ways around it.
It's time for it to be updated, to also catch some chat words as well, such as n * & % ÷ $ s (fill in the blanks, some people also get away with not spacing it and replacing the I with x, o or a.) It does not make me comfortable making this post, as I've always avoided it. But it's blatantly clear that people have already found a way around the current banned words list. It would go a long way to stop the long known Jester way of getting lynched by screaming racial slurs or just racism in general in the game. Remember, Toxicity /=/ racism, you'll probably never going to be able to fix toxicity due to the nature of the game, but you can at least curb the amount of racism.

Slurs like N***o and usernames like LynchtheN*ggy I completely agree with and should be banned. But "China virus" lol? come on, don't be ridiculous
MarsGodofWar
Witch
Witch

Postby EqsyLootz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:35 am

dbpeanut wrote:I would like to add, that if you took a quick look through the unban requests, specifically the ones that have to do with hate speech, you'd probably find half a dozen words that just need to be hard filtered, such as b*#ner. Generally, if a word can consistently get you banned on TOS, it probably should be hard filtered. It also would theoretically reduce workload along the line. I can't imagine it's particularly easy updating the filter this late in the game, but it's been overdue for a while.

Actually in regards to this I do agree. I did see an appeal of someone saying a "Hard filtered word" but the system wasn't preventing the hard filtered word from being said...
However like I stated previously I do suggest playing coven or Ranked as you won't run into racist spammers. And mark my works if there's someone being racist they won't last long.
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:54 pm

EqsyLootz wrote:
dbpeanut wrote:I would like to add, that if you took a quick look through the unban requests, specifically the ones that have to do with hate speech, you'd probably find half a dozen words that just need to be hard filtered, such as b*#ner. Generally, if a word can consistently get you banned on TOS, it probably should be hard filtered. It also would theoretically reduce workload along the line. I can't imagine it's particularly easy updating the filter this late in the game, but it's been overdue for a while.

Actually in regards to this I do agree. I did see an appeal of someone saying a "Hard filtered word" but the system wasn't preventing the hard filtered word from being said...
However like I stated previously I do suggest playing coven or Ranked as you won't run into racist spammers. And mark my works if there's someone being racist they won't last long.

I do play coven consistently. I just don't think the mindset around racism in a game should be "Go into a DLC/paid mode or competitive play". It's always harmed the game as long as the mindset exists. However, it is kinda ridiculous that the hard filter doesn't get updated at least once a year.
MarsGodofWar wrote:
dbpeanut wrote:I've seen a massive increase in number of players who are racist.

Slurs like N***o and usernames like LynchtheN*ggy I completely agree with and should be banned. But "China virus" lol? come on, don't be ridiculous

It's not ridiculous to want a racist word to be banned. The entire meaning around Chinavirus IS to be racist. That's the literal whole point it's called that, and people near exclusively use the name in game to say racist or offensive things.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby EqsyLootz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Chinavirus is not offensive. The Corona Virus originated in china. I don't understand how it could be considered Racist.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby dolphina » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:28 pm

EqsyLootz wrote:Chinavirus is not offensive. The Corona Virus originated in china. I don't understand how it could be considered Racist.

because it’s associated with people who decide to fucking murder asians for being asian, do i actually need to explain why it’s shit

if we start calling it “chinavirus” dumbfuck white supremacists are gonna start going “oh ok it’s from china therefore chinese people are carrying this disease and literally everyone who looks like a traditional chinese person is a disease carrying vermin” even if they aren’t chinese and that reasoning is shit

sorry to go on a mini-rant but this is very close to my heart as a person of eastern asian descent and racism against us is overlooked so fucking often
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby dbpeanut » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 pm

EqsyLootz wrote:Chinavirus is not offensive. The Corona Virus originated in china. I don't understand how it could be considered Racist.

Read Dolphina's comment. Then also realize that world events have shown that it is in fact racist and lead to a rise in anti Asian attacks.

Regardless, it should be banned, I've never seen a person with the name "Chinavirus" that isn't racist or trying to be offensive. Same with literally every slur in this post.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby EqsyLootz » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 pm

You are welcome to your opinion but going in these huge rants about possible terminology is a little bit of a stretch. Evidentally it's not the most offensive thing in the world but I understand where you're coming from. But I've seen people just refer to the Virus itself as the China Virus therefore It's not exactly discriminatory against specifically Asians rather the virus and the cause if that makes any sense.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Return to Feedback