Delete 'Hitler' or 'Stalin' as an okay username.

Put any feedback about the game here.

Delete 'Hitler' or 'Stalin' as an okay username.

Postby Kelisidina » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:51 pm

If you guys are so hell-bent on making stopping IGNS related to Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin, why even allow people to be named that? That's literally bait for people to get banned.
I AM !@#$%^#-------- C0NSIG/WiTCH ON ME T0 DeSCRAMBLE C0DE-------- BMER D0NT CoME!!!!----------------- XDiES HAS MALE B00BS!
Kelisidina
Transporter
Transporter

Re: Delete 'Hitler' or 'Stalin' as an okay username.

Postby Ezradekezra » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 pm

I wouldn't say that it's bait, since there's nothing that encourages people to choose those names, but I do agree that the game should just outright prevent people from choosing Hitler as their IGN.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby StlnSP » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 pm

i'd be dead on sight if they actually hardcoded any combination of letters that looked like "stalin" to be banned.
It's short for Stallion, but you can call me Stin.

FM Record: 0 / 0 / 0

Image Spoiler:
Goodbye, GrandChase.
StlnSP
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Flavorable » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:00 pm

Kelisidina wrote:If you guys are so hell-bent on making stopping IGNS related to Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin, why even allow people to be named that? That's literally bait for people to get banned.

They are filtered. Just turn on the maturity filter.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:59 am

StlnSP wrote:i'd be dead on sight if they actually hardcoded any combination of letters that looked like "stalin" to be banned.

They'd have to only ban the exact sequence of letters, not everything that looks like it. Trying to prevent filter evasion with hardcoded checks is asking for trouble.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby OreCreeper » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:00 am

Flavorable wrote:
Kelisidina wrote:If you guys are so hell-bent on making stopping IGNS related to Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin, why even allow people to be named that? That's literally bait for people to get banned.

They are filtered. Just turn on the maturity filter.

I mean soft-filtering a word implies it is okay to say it (considering there's an option to turn it off). If it's offensive enough to warrant a suspension or ban, then in my opinion it should be hard-filtered.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby sodomyandlust » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:31 pm

I disagree, and here's why: Where do you draw the line? Genghis Khan? Agent Orange? Zyklon B? Ariel Sharon? Pope Sixtus? Woodrow Wilson? are these names ok because I would find any of these equally offensive as hitler or stalin?
sodomyandlust
Jester
Jester

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:40 pm

sodomyandlust wrote:I disagree, and here's why: Where do you draw the line? Genghis Khan? Agent Orange? Zyklon B? Ariel Sharon? Pope Sixtus? Woodrow Wilson? are these names ok because I would find any of these equally offensive as hitler or stalin?

This is an OK argument for making the names completely allowed, but it's no argument for maintaining the status quo. The status quo is contradictory: the names "Hitler" and "Stalin" aren't blocked, but they will get you banned if you use them and get reported.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby CapWarrior2 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:12 am

sodomyandlust wrote:I disagree, and here's why: Where do you draw the line? Genghis Khan? Agent Orange? Zyklon B? Ariel Sharon? Pope Sixtus? Woodrow Wilson? are these names ok because I would find any of these equally offensive as hitler or stalin?

And anyway, if the names do get blocked people will just avoid the filter, so in the end it wouldn't be worth the time to code it in just for the outcome to be the same with or without filtered out names.
Idea Index:
Click Here

Reworked Idea:
Omen - Neutral(Evil)

Testing Grounds:
Come visit!
CapWarrior2
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:05 am

CapWarrior2 wrote:And anyway, if the names do get blocked people will just avoid the filter, so in the end it wouldn't be worth the time to code it in just for the outcome to be the same with or without filtered out names.

People who intend to break the rules will avoid the filter. But there will also be people who, upon being told their name isn't allowed, will take the hint and use a different name entirely.

(Granted that won't protect the people for whom misspelling Hitler's name was the point of the joke in the first place. Monty Python's "Hilter" is a famous example of this.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Flavorable » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 am

Brilliand wrote:

This is an OK argument for making the names completely allowed, but it's no argument for maintaining the status quo. The status quo is contradictory: the names "Hitler" and "Stalin" aren't blocked, but they will get you banned if you use them and get reported.

Actually, both "Stalin" and "Hitler" are filtered.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:44 am

Flavorable wrote:
Brilliand wrote:The status quo is contradictory: the names "Hitler" and "Stalin" aren't blocked, but they will get you banned if you use them and get reported.

On the name entry screen?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Flavorable » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Brilliand wrote:
Flavorable wrote:
Brilliand wrote:The status quo is contradictory: the names "Hitler" and "Stalin" aren't blocked, but they will get you banned if you use them and get reported.

On the name entry screen?

Yes, all soft filtered words are filtered in the naming screen, unless people circumvent it. (i.e. HitIer with capital i instead of Hitler)

Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:48 pm

...in that case I'm confused about what the OP is talking about.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Kelisidina » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:00 pm

Yeah, you can lock this thread.

I saw an IGN named 'Adolf Hotler' and mistakenly read that as 'Adolf Hitler' in the Appeals Section, which was why I was like, 'Why even give someone an opportunity to be named that?''

My bad about that one though.
I AM !@#$%^#-------- C0NSIG/WiTCH ON ME T0 DeSCRAMBLE C0DE-------- BMER D0NT CoME!!!!----------------- XDiES HAS MALE B00BS!
Kelisidina
Transporter
Transporter

Return to Feedback