elo when disconnecting

Put any feedback about the game here.

elo when disconnecting

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:29 am

so, from what i've heard, you lose the max elo when you leave a ranked game early. now this alone doesn't seem that bad but i've heard numbers like 30 elo lost from one disconnection and some even higher. i just think that's too harsh, as disconnects happen. it just really sucks to lose a bunch of progress because your wifi decided to stop working or your game froze or something like that. this hasn't happened to me but from what i've heard it's pretty damn harsh
signature

this is a certified floating candle moment

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: elo when disconnecting

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:07 pm

it has happened to me, and yeah it sucks, on season 4 due to abnormal disconetions I lost 200 elo
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Paradox12 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:10 pm

This season I lost more than 100 elo probably from disconnecting and then I got banned for a disconnection (because of something I said while the game was frozen which I didn't know went through anyway).
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Ezradekezra » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:57 pm

Yeah this is annoying, but unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done about it without opening up loopholes for people to leave while alive with no penalty.

Also inb4 V2 tells everyone to fix their internet
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby James2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 pm

Ultimately you're responsible for the quality of your internet service. As for random disconnects, that should (in theory) even out and therefore have a neutral effect on the playerbase writ large (if anything this would counteract elo inflation, and thus be a good thing on the whole).
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby OreCreeper » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:06 am

James2 wrote:Ultimately you're responsible for the quality of your internet service. As for random disconnects, that should (in theory) even out and therefore have a neutral effect on the playerbase writ large (if anything this would counteract elo inflation, and thus be a good thing on the whole).

Random disconnects doesn't counter elo inflation because it's random? If anything, it makes elo even less reliable of a skill indicator since some people could go months without a single disconnect and someone else can get 3/4 abnormal disconnections in a week.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Kelisidina » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:51 pm

In Among Us, it can tell immediately if a player purposely chose to leave the game or a player got disconnected. Can that be used for ToS?

[Asking to people who know of this particular thing]
I AM !@#$%^#-------- C0NSIG/WiTCH ON ME T0 DeSCRAMBLE C0DE-------- BMER D0NT CoME!!!!----------------- XDiES HAS MALE B00BS!
Kelisidina
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Ezradekezra » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:04 pm

vectormodo wrote:
Kelisidina wrote:In Among Us, it can tell immediately if a player purposely chose to leave the game or a player got disconnected. Can that be used for ToS?

[Asking to people who know of this particular thing]

yes it's possible, as both games are coded in unity so there's no excuse for not making the difference, devs are known to be lazy and incompetent though, if you want an example of this they took 4 years to rework retributionist

Have you considered that the Unity port was precisely why so many updates took forever? It's kinda hard to rework this type of thing from what I can tell.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby James2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:09 pm

OreCreeper wrote:
James2 wrote:Ultimately you're responsible for the quality of your internet service. As for random disconnects, that should (in theory) even out and therefore have a neutral effect on the playerbase writ large (if anything this would counteract elo inflation, and thus be a good thing on the whole).

Random disconnects doesn't counter elo inflation because it's random? If anything, it makes elo even less reliable of a skill indicator since some people could go months without a single disconnect and someone else can get 3/4 abnormal disconnections in a week.

Do you know what the phrase "elo inflation" refers to?
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby cob709 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 pm

There are many causes to Abnormal Disconnections. The first step to solving this problem is identifying the cause, rather than criticizing Town of Salem for being broken. Even though they are responsible for minimizing errors, users should attempt to help solve problems, which will overall have a positive impact on future game development.

Is there anything that you do that seems to trigger an Abnormal Disconnection?

One of the ways that an Abnormal Disconnection can happen is logging in on a second tab(Browser), or multiple devices.
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby MonkeyMoody » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:42 pm

Is there a known fix? I keep getting abnormal disconnect in the loading screen prior to name select. Every single game I queue for it happens to me.
MonkeyMoody
Donor
Donor

Postby Kelisidina » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:59 pm

There is a difference between experimental probability and theoretical probability.

My belief is that you should make it a loss of 15 elo for people leaving games, and an exception for people in masters. This is because of how they're likely non-throwers and actually do play this game to win- they likely don't leave games.
I AM !@#$%^#-------- C0NSIG/WiTCH ON ME T0 DeSCRAMBLE C0DE-------- BMER D0NT CoME!!!!----------------- XDiES HAS MALE B00BS!
Kelisidina
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Paradox12 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:10 pm

Kelisidina wrote:

There is a difference between experimental probability and theoretical probability.

My belief is that you should make it a loss of 15 elo for people leaving games, and an exception for people in masters. This is because of how they're likely non-throwers and actually do play this game to win- they likely don't leave games.

Yeah that and also the winrates are pretty balanced for every role except maybe witch, so there isn't really that sort of "I got evil and evils usually lose so I might as well just leave" mentality.
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Paradox12 wrote:
Kelisidina wrote:

Yeah that and also the winrates are pretty balanced for every role except maybe witch, so there isn't really that sort of "I got evil and evils usually lose so I might as well just leave" mentality.

Im pretty sure that leaving d1 is more like

"I hate this role" than "Evils always lose"

I keep seeing mafioso and framer suicides, because those 2 roles are an ass
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby James2 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:28 pm

Kelisidina wrote:

Elo should be harder to retain at higher levels, not easier.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Paradox12 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:05 pm

James2 wrote:
Kelisidina wrote:

Elo should be harder to retain at higher levels, not easier.

Elo also should not be given or lost based on a random factor (disconnections).
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:24 pm

I just had an idea:

I think it might be possible to lessen the punishment for elo losses due to accidental disconnections by adding some sort of whitelist system or something where players who don't have any guilty reports from a certain period of time (6 months to a year maybe?) only lose elo to the same degree as if they left while dead. I think that these players would be much less likely to abuse loopholes when leaving.

If the game detects that the game was left with the in-game button or by closing the tab/application, then max elo is lost regardless.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Kelisidina » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:59 am

Ezradekezra wrote:I just had an idea:

I think it might be possible to lessen the punishment for elo losses due to accidental disconnections by adding some sort of whitelist system or something where players who don't have any guilty reports from a certain period of time (6 months to a year maybe?) only lose elo to the same degree as if they left while dead. I think that these players would be much less likely to abuse loopholes when leaving.

If the game detects that the game was left with the in-game button or by closing the tab/application, then max elo is lost regardless.

I'm not a fan of guilty reports --> how about things like guilty LEAVING reports
Kelisidina
Transporter
Transporter

Postby James2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:49 am

No one has established logically why the leaving penalty is a problem as is.

Being annoyed by something is not an argument against it.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm

James2 wrote:No one has established logically why the leaving penalty is a problem as is.

Because it is unfair that something that you cant control (not only your net, it can also be a bug or a server issue) makes you lose 30 elo

Last season I lost more than 200 due to server issues
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm

James2 wrote:No one has established logically why the leaving penalty is a problem as is.

Because it's not fair to lose 30 elo every time you unintentionally DC. The penalty is in place for people who leave intentionally, not for people who have occasional internet issues or experience other bugs.

While it's hard to implement a solution that differentiates between the two without creating loopholes, I would be in favor of a system that at least lessens the penalty for some people.

Kelisidina wrote:

I'm not a fan of guilty reports --> how about things like guilty LEAVING reports

I think it should apply to all reports. That way, there's an extra incentive to not break rules.

It's not hard to go a long time without getting suspended anyway
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Paradox12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:

Because it's not fair to lose 30 elo every time you unintentionally DC. The penalty is in place for people who leave intentionally, not for people who have occasional internet issues or experience other bugs.

While it's hard to implement a solution that differentiates between the two without creating loopholes, I would be in favor of a system that at least lessens the penalty for some people.

Kelisidina wrote:

I think it should apply to all reports. That way, there's an extra incentive to not break rules.

Kills the whole point of implementing this if people other than intentionally leavers are gonna be punished.
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Postby James2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:42 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:Because it is unfair . . .

Ezradekezra wrote:Because it's not fair . . .

To the extent that you can control disconnects, it's a perfectly fair penalty for ruining others' experience. To the extent you can't control them, it's a random penalty that everyone is at equal risk of experiencing (akin to having bad teammates). Either way it's perfectly fair.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Paradox12 wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:

Kelisidina wrote:

Kills the whole point of implementing this if people other than intentionally leavers are gonna be punished.

How so?

Sure, not all people who DC unintentionally are gonna get lesser punishments, but it's better than allowing more people who DC intentionally to do so with a lesser punishment imo.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby James2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Paradox12 wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:

Kelisidina wrote:

AFAIK elo is still inflationary even with the leaver penalty. So you're not "being punished" for random disconnects. You're just not being rewarded for playing as much as you would have been before the leaver penalty was implemented.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Next

Return to Feedback