Re: REMOVE TAUNTS

Postby Robbytherobot » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:03 am

Any thing that undermines medium has got to go including dead taunts
Robbytherobot
Medium
Medium

Postby Transcender » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 am

Robbytherobot wrote:Any thing that undermines medium has got to go including dead taunts

you do know how bad a concept medium is right
if anything both retri and medium should be completely overhauled and THEN taunts should be changed.
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Superalex11 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:14 am

Descender wrote:the medium role
should not exist in the first place
Descender wrote:you do know how bad a concept medium is right

Well this isn't a balance thread, so these points are irrelevant.
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Transcender » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:16 am

Superalex11 wrote:
Descender wrote:the medium role
should not exist in the first place
Descender wrote:you do know how bad a concept medium is right

Well this isn't a balance thread, so these points are irrelevant.

incorrect
imo if you are willing to have alive-dead interactions pay-for taunts are ok too. its not like only the top 1% of tos players can pay for them.
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Superalex11 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:26 am

Descender wrote:if you are willing to have alive-dead interactions pay-for taunts are ok too

Well I don't believe this claim is true, so you're going to have to qualify it.
You also seem to keep ignoring the point I'm making about how taunts are based externally, whereas other interactions aren't (e.g. medium's ability).
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Transcender » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:38 am

Superalex11 wrote:
Descender wrote:if you are willing to have alive-dead interactions pay-for taunts are ok too

Well I don't believe this claim is true, so you're going to have to qualify it.
You also seem to keep ignoring the point I'm making about how taunts are based externally, whereas other interactions aren't (e.g. medium's ability).

i know that taunts are an issue and think they should be fixed. I think that it should be done after medium and retri are changed, not before.
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:01 am

1. Personally, I think Medium is mostly good. Definitely a bit too powerful with the new copy and paste system, but not rework-worthy. Retri, on the other hand, needs to either be removed from ranked or completely reworked. However, role balance isn't the point of this thread.
2. Dead people need to not be able to taunt before med/ret are nerfed/reworked, because taunts give the dead an avenue to communicate with the living that is much more accessible than a medium or retri. The main risk involved in using taunts is that "false" taunts are able to be used by anyone, and taunts are anonymous. However, I'd say that the risk is worth it. Medium and retri are roles that aren't guaranteed, but anyone can use taunts. Also, you can easily fake medium, so taunts potentially being fake isn't a reason to not change them.
signature

this is a certified floating candle moment

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Robbytherobot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Copy and pasting chat messages is op, it just makes evils plays harder. I think copy and pasting these should be removed especially event messages.
Robbytherobot
Medium
Medium

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:29 pm

I have my own opinions on that, but I don't wanna go off-topic.
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby MissAlanius » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:58 pm

If you're in ranked, you play enough that you can buy taunts with MP.

I often use taunts, both as town and as evil. When I'm evil, it's a great way to cause a mislynch. Oh, TI died? Who was the last person on their list? Taunted. Someone goes, "So-and-so was checked by sheriff/invest and they're taunted, all town on So-and-so!" If no townie does, I will do it.

Boom.

Don't cry about it, get better.
MissAlanius
Jester
Jester

Postby Robbytherobot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 pm

"Don't cry about it, get better." This is not an intended game mechanic thats why people are complaining no other meta feature can have as large as an impact.
Robbytherobot
Medium
Medium

Postby orangeandblack5 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:15 pm

"I use taunts to get mislynches" literally supports the argument for getting rid of them
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Robbytherobot » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:10 am

Yeah, I think it should be that dead people cant taunt, taunts are very fun but when people intentionally abuse them it kind of takes some fun out of the game.
Robbytherobot
Medium
Medium

Postby Kyosji » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:14 am

So first taking place in these threads, I have tried to use these tactics as often as I could or cared. Out of all the times I've done it, there has only been 1 game where I wasnt the one who initiated it. This is from my experience Every time I put in my will if someone is taunted when i die, they are evil, the field lit up with random taunts. When I was dead and someone asked me to taunt a baddie for him, everyone else taunted as well. My experience is that this isn't even a concern.
Magic is distilled laziness. Put that on my gravestone.
Kyosji
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Robbytherobot » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:28 am

This is not the most likely case 9/10 noone asks them to taunt, person who died from medusa simply taunts medusa and because noone is taunting it gets noticed and they die. I have seen this happen atleast 5 times already.
Robbytherobot
Medium
Medium

Postby shapesifter13 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Ok, now that emails and such are less of a nightmare I can spend more time here on the forums responding to feedback, and playing the game to get a feel for things again.

On that note:

Taunts*:

I totally understand how seeing taunts to cause valid lynches, or mislynches could be problematic. We are not opposed to a taunt change, but they would very likely never be removed. One suggestion I saw was letting dead players taunts only be seen by other dead players. This was the best suggestion I saw, and I'll bring it up with the team, and see what the thoughts are. This is something we have brought up a couple times, but never pulled the trigger on because Unity has taken up nearly all of our time. I am also open to more feedback on solutions.

Medium and Ret:

I saw some posts mentioning these roles because they also allow dead to living interaction, and that some players view this mechanic in general as bad. We know that Ret is one of the most problematic roles, and it is slotted for a redesign now that Unity is out. We do need to get some bug fixes in for Unity first though. As for Medium it is in a similar spot to Ret almost. Many players either view it as wildy underpowered, or overpowered. Medium is another role that is on our radar for a potential redesign.

Now that the Unity port is out, we are hoping to get back into the swing of releasing new content, balance changes, and redesigning different aspects of the game. First we need to get the Unity port into a good spot. Over the last week we have implemented improved logging to help track down issues, and have fixed several of them, but we got some more to track down.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:20 pm

By "scrolls" do you mean "taunts?" I can't see how scrolls can cause mislynches.
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby shapesifter13 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Whoops, fixed that.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby orangeandblack5 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Wait

I mean

I've never pushed for a Medium rework because I didn't figure it would happen

But if it's on your guys's radar alongside Ret, I can take a minute to write something up about both when I'm off work this weekend (need to prep for the Mafia Championship podcast on Sunday but I don't think it'll take that long)
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby orangeandblack5 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:59 pm

Continuing that discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109316#p3459046
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:20 am

shapesifter13 wrote:
Taunts*:

I totally understand how seeing taunts to cause valid lynches, or mislynches could be problematic. We are not opposed to a taunt change, but they would very likely never be removed. One suggestion I saw was letting dead players taunts only be seen by other dead players. This was the best suggestion I saw, and I'll bring it up with the team, and see what the thoughts are. This is something we have brought up a couple times, but never pulled the trigger on because Unity has taken up nearly all of our time. I am also open to more feedback on solutions.

Problem being that a player can only be taunted once. What if a dead player taunted someone that a live player wanted to taunt? Or I could just taunt every player until I found the one that was unable to be taunted to find medusa. Or just taunt the last player in the dead TIs will, to see if the dead TI had already taunted them....
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 am

I'd imagine the living could taunt someone who the dead had already taunted.
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby orangeandblack5 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:43 pm

KAKERMAN23 wrote:I'd imagine the living could taunt someone who the dead had already taunted.

Agreed
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Previous

Return to Feedback