Game freezing through steam

Put any feedback about the game here.

Game freezing through steam

Postby SwampRabbit » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 am

OMFG.....enough with the freezing games already. Will the unity port thing fix this freezing of games when there is no connectivity issue or internet issue--just random frozen town of salem. No other game does this. I have only played TOS through steam from the first day it was offered on steam, and this rarely happened at first, but now it is a near daily occurrence. Sometimes multiple times per day.

Right now, right this second, I am in a frozen game where I am 1 of 3 living mafia versus the arso. We have a consort so arso is being rbed for sure, but they cannot vote the arso without me and I cannot vote because YET AGAIN my game is just stuck on night mode (sometimes it freezes on day mode). I can interact with the game. I can read wills, move the screen around, etc. I just cannot vote or see anything because my game is frozen and unplayable.
SwampRabbit
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Game freezing through steam

Postby Flavorable » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:28 am

As much as I hate to say it and you refuse to believe it, it is, sadly, factual that the game freezes if you lose your connection, however shortly. Generally, people don't think this is the case, because other programs will keep running, but this is because most programs have a built-in latency buffer to hold you over if your connection is unstable for a bit. This isn't necessarily always caused by your internet connection, but could also be due to Flash simply bugging out, making it appear as though it has lost connection.

Unity should make it more stable, definitely, if the problem is caused by Flash bugging out. The easiest way to test this, would be to switch to the Unity Beta and see how it fares.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SwampRabbit » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:11 am

I do refuse to believe it. If the game lost connection, it disconnects. God knows, we have all seen that happen. (and yes, game appears frozen then as well) But, I am not talking about a disconnect. The game does not see any interruption in connection. The game thinks I am still in there playing. BTW, that is why we have to sit and wait 15 to 20 minutes in a frozen game rather than closing the window. If we were to close the window, we would get hit with the -15 elo for leaving a game. If we just sit there frozen long enough to make sure game has ended, we get whatever elo our faction got.

The one I was just referencing, I got +2, because apparently the arso helped other 2 mafia vote me out to avoid a draw. If I had lost connection as you suggest, then I would get the -15 elo for leaving.
SwampRabbit
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby SwampRabbit » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 am

The games I am in usually end by d4 or d5 because we move that quickly, so when a game freezes without disconnecting, it usually lasts til the game ends. But there have been a few times where the game is frozen for 4 game days and then unfreezes with an entire 4 days and nights of chat flooding the chat screen all at once. Just a couple of weeks ago, my game froze at the start of d2, I got lynched, revived, and on d6 my game unfroze and I was still alive, and I was able to vote with the town to prevent a draw.

I do not know what is causing it. I just know that it is becoming progressively more frequent, and more often than not results in your faction losing.
SwampRabbit
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Flavorable » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 am

SwampRabbit wrote:The games I am in usually end by d4 or d5 because we move that quickly, so when a game freezes without disconnecting, it usually lasts til the game ends. But there have been a few times where the game is frozen for 4 game days and then unfreezes with an entire 4 days and nights of chat flooding the chat screen all at once. Just a couple of weeks ago, my game froze at the start of d2, I got lynched, revived, and on d6 my game unfroze and I was still alive, and I was able to vote with the town to prevent a draw.

I do not know what is causing it. I just know that it is becoming progressively more frequent, and more often than not results in your faction losing.

In that case, it's the more likely option that Flash is simply bugging out. I strongly suggest testing on Unity Beta to see if the freezes are fewer.

Also make sure that whilst you are playing, you don't have any other processes open, especially things that can temporarily screw with your CPU speed (anti-virus programs, malware protectors, lots of open google chrome tabs, etc etc).
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ImprobableFatality » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:55 pm

I've been having this same issue recently, it's definitely not a network thing as my connection remains strong the whole time, and at no point are any processes overwhelming my computer. I have no clue if others are experiencing it or just me because after a certain amount of time without it unfreezing, (I usually wait about 10 minutes and it never does). The game doesn't crash, the animations continue. all the buttons still work. I can type messages. but the time stays at 0, I don't see anyone's new messages, and the game never progresses. If it's a bug it's something tos should work on because right now I'm too frustrated to continue playing the game, and I don't want to negatively impact other's gaming experience. I wish I could review games so I could try to figure out some more specifics
ImprobableFatality

Return to Feedback