Rules for Forum Games

Forum announcements and contests will be posted here.

Should the Forum Games board have its own set of rules?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes : 23

Rules for Forum Games

Postby enderitem » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Due to increase of questions about the moderation of Forum Games especially regarding the powers of the hosts of games that require commitment, we wanted to check if the community wanted to have a certain set of rules that concern this special board. The poll will be simple but it is encouraged to give your opinions regarding this possible change, the rules it might bring and the future of the board if this was to happen.

The rules may include but are not limited to:

The procedure that a host needs to follow if they think their game is too similar to FM or VLDR and DR.
The host's rights regarding the moderation of the game they wish to host.
Remakes of the old Arcade games
Games with special instances that a normal user may not be allowed to follow. (eg. unlocking topics, games with prizes, scavenger hunts)
Games that require multiple topics
enderitem
FM Awards: Creator

Re: Moderation of Forum Games

Postby Schultz128 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:32 pm

-Hosts should have full liberty in who they wish to allow into their games with proper reason.
-Rehosting old games should be brought up with the original host and permission should be gained. If the host has left the community, then it should be fine to rehost.
-For FM and VLDR, a user should PM Metrion. For DR they should PM Nellyfox/Arckas/Sarah Thorpe.
Schultz128

Postby JazzMusicStops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Schultz128 wrote:-Hosts should have full liberty in who they wish to allow into their games with proper reason.
-Rehosting old games should be brought up with the original host and permission should be gained. If the host has left the community, then it should be fine to rehost.
-For FM and VLDR, a user should PM Metrion. For DR they should PM Nellyfox/Arckas/Sarah Thorpe.

/thread

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Varanus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm

I'll trust capitalism on this one
You were expecting a decent signature...

BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!
Varanus
FM Lead Moderator
FM Lead Moderator

Postby Varanus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Free market
If you don't like the host, don't join the game
ez

BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!
Varanus
FM Lead Moderator
FM Lead Moderator

Postby Kmenx » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Y'all need communism
You can find me in discord at Disguiser#5127

Spoiler: My FM record:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Kmenx
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Varanus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Kmenx wrote:Y'all need communism

Last time we tried this, we ended up with Metrion as a Head FMMod
Never again

BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!
Varanus
FM Lead Moderator
FM Lead Moderator

Postby Kmenx » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Varanus wrote:
Kmenx wrote:Y'all need communism

Last time we tried this, we ended up with Metrion as a Head FMMod
Never again

You can find me in discord at Disguiser#5127

Spoiler: My FM record:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Kmenx
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Schultz128 wrote:-Hosts should have full liberty in who they wish to allow into their games with proper reason.

this tbh

also since nobody likes fg drama we should appoint mods kappa

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9
FM Awards: Town
FM Awards: Town

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't see a need to have moderators in Forum Games. It's a lawless wasteland, but mods won't fix that. Games that don't fill never take off and die, games that do are run and are finished. Series (like Behind the Masks) already have people who curate their hub thread and control who hosts what. Giving users increased moderator powers isn't needed. What's the point of being able to lock and unlock a thread freely here? That one game that's stickied is still locked and stickied and it's been "on pause" for about six weeks.

I only play a game on Forum Games every now and then, so I'm not familiar with the greater community. Drama should fall under general forum rules- be respectful of other users, keep conflicts to PMs, etc. I don't see how a third-party intervention would diffuse any arguments.

Old arcade games don't need to be remade. I'm thinking of "last to post gets the money, "count until a mod posts" and so on. The only exception is if there's a rule that needs to be changed to make it run smoother. I'm thinking of that game which I won't mention so nobody bumps it. Also, the necro game since nobody is really around to update it (it also isn't long enough to set a high score yet if you're thinking of that).

By scavenger hunt, do you mean on the scale of forum events? I think those are best left to moderators, in certain conditions. Otherwise there will be a lot of people rushing to make their own. If you really want to do a forum scavenger hunt go do it with your own posts.

I see no issue with WotM or having multiple threads for a game as long as it does not exceed a certain amount. Two is acceptable, three is passable. Four or more and it's just cluttering up a front page where threads get bumped off of it too often. That's because of games in signups that never fill at times, and sometimes the host just never lets go. If your game hasn't filled for months, will it ever? I'm neutral towards the idea of a time limit after which games can't be run after they go into signups/having a thread where users can announce the signups for a game that they plan on making soon. I guess that could be extended to ensuring that games get carried out, but I've seen good hosts get too busy with life. Is the cohost thread still stickied?
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby Waffleme3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Why do we need rules to make a game? I understand the DR, VLDR, and FM idea for rules but people should have the power to do what they want to do in their game. They have the right to remove someone from their game and such. If people don't like the person hosting then they won't sign up. We should be allowed to do what we want, and how we want to host our games. Thats just my thought of an old unactive forumer.

Edit: The idea of having mutliple game threads is rather stupid ngl. Unless it is a popular game (I.E. BtM) it should not be allowed. It clutters the forum games up with pointless threads.
Thanks hurricat
Rest in peace Coolway and Birdy <3
Waffleme3
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby mdb1023 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Hosts should absolutely be able to blacklist certain players IF they have a valid reason to blacklist them. Furthermore, I think that those who replace out of games should have some sort of punishment associated with doing so like in fm (though that would require FG mods which would be a lot of work so that probably isn't feasible).
Discord: Finn#5059

http://www.twitch.tv/mikeakafinn?sr=a

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby Waffleme3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 pm

mdb1023 wrote:Hosts should absolutely be able to blacklist certain players IF they have a valid reason to blacklist them. Furthermore, I think that those who replace out of games should have some sort of punishment associated with doing so like in fm (though that would require FG mods which would be a lot of work so that probably isn't feasible).

I don't think that there should have to have a ligit reason to black list someone from their game. It's their game. And the punishment of replacing out. They shouldn't be forced to have to wait a time or such but it is the host's job to know people records in replacing and such so they can decide if they are allowed to play.
Thanks hurricat
Rest in peace Coolway and Birdy <3
Waffleme3
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Re: Rules for Forum Games

Postby Veeena » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Topic Name has been edited to reduce confusion of the concept within the thread.
OSRS Accounts: Veeena
Lewd Queen (Former HCIM)
Peepo Vee (GIM)

FF14: Xa Erros (NA Sargantas)

Formerly M4xwell
Known as
Xa/M4xy/Vee

Some fucking Vee I suppose.

Veeena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JazzMusicStops » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:29 am

mdb1023 wrote:Hosts should absolutely be able to blacklist certain players IF they have a valid reason to blacklist them. Furthermore, I think that those who replace out of games should have some sort of punishment associated with doing so like in fm (though that would require FG mods which would be a lot of work so that probably isn't feasible).

"Sorry you replaced out of BtM that means you can't play this other completely different game with nothing to do with BtM"

The replacement thing works with FM because every FM game is identical in terms of rules and fundamentals, barring a few that vary from game to game

You could manage a replacement punishment for bigger game series like Danganronpa, BtM, VLDR and so on, but that is down to those in charge of their specific FG Franchise and should not be decided by an overall set of rules or moderators that aren't specific to the game in question, it fits in with the "hosts can bar entry" to be honest, you can say "you replaced out of a couple of games recently so I won't let you play in case you go inactive in this one too"

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Schultz128 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:26 am

Replacement systems don't work for VLDR either, given how much time usually takes place between each game.
Schultz128

Postby Segaco » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Auto prunning counts as a rule right?
If so, could you also remove/change the "thread not seen for three months = delete" rule thing on forum games?
Segaco#3884
Segaco
Godfather
Godfather

Postby alex1234321 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:17 am

I believe that a ruleset is needed for forum games. Hosts often do not know what procedures they need to follow and new hosts can become confused quite easily.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Veeena » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:51 am

Thank you for your response and voting in our polls.
OSRS Accounts: Veeena
Lewd Queen (Former HCIM)
Peepo Vee (GIM)

FF14: Xa Erros (NA Sargantas)

Formerly M4xwell
Known as
Xa/M4xy/Vee

Some fucking Vee I suppose.

Veeena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator