Portrait mode for mobile !

This forum is used to post suggestions to improve the tablet version of the game.

Portrait mode for mobile !

Postby Swixxy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi Devs,

I'm sure you like everyone else uses their mobile in portrait mode when writing any messages. It is extremely difficult on most phones to type in landscape mode (and even worse with the increasing size of all popular phones - look at the latest iPhones for an example of the expected trend towards bigger devices)

I understand you want to put a lot on the screen and obviously width of the screen is much more paramount than height.

However if I can suggest an alternative, with the "map" being scrollable to look around (or perhaps zoomed out to a much larger degree although obviously this means graphic work on the top/bottom of the map image)

You could make the scrollable lists appear along the top of the screen in a horizontal list instead of vertical (with the tab hidden by default only the buttons displayed to give more screen space)

With town of Salem being a mostly typing based game, I think sacrificing ability to type for graphic UI is a bad compromise personally.

I love town of Salem and would love to play it on mobile, and I'm sure others would too and obviously the potential market is phenomenal if you can nail this!

However the entire mobile market is dominated by portrait typing - most devices are designed in width specifically for typing ergonomically and quickly in a portrait orientation.

Any kind of compromise to fix this would be ideal, even a "dirty hack" of having a portrait mode that only shows the chat when in portrait mode would vastly improve the experience and I'm sure if you attached some metrics your see most users will naturally "attempt" to orient in portrait mode when trying to type after a few attempts at typing.

I know this is a huge task, however I truly believe the benefits of addressing this asap would be tenfold in return of adoption - and importantly in the number of users leaving mid game! And ultimately, long term users turn into paid customers especially in a market as rich in micro transactions as the mobile industry is.

I hope I've laid out my thoughts in as detailed a way as possible, I'm sure this came up plenty of times in your review process however I know this seems to be the biggest gripe in "it's so hard to use!" That people have. The UI is actually smooth and polished, but being unable to type in a game that relies on you typing quickly at times gives incredible frustration.

Thank you for considering!
Swixxy

Return to Mobile Suggestions