VLDR Combat Outline

Virtue's Last Dangan Ronpa

Re: VLDR Combat Outline

Postby PolyesterHomes » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Combat 2.0 so far:

Added Disarm.
Added Delimb.
Added Decapitate.
Added Disorient, with 5 different types.

Added Blocking. Just in case you didn't feel like making the first move.
Added Parrying and Riposte. Punish the enemy for attacking you.
Added Retreat, now you can flee without getting shot in the back of the head!
Added Tackle. Now you can play American football/Rugby.
Added Feinting. In case you have commitment issues.
Added Jesus Take the Wheel: ..you know what this does. Let lady luck save you.
All in Attack: All or Nothing.

Added blood type because y’all can’t behave.
"Whisper in the dark. The battle may yet be won."
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LordofFail » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:16 pm

I might go with a dokapon style combat system with attack/stroke/counter/defend or something
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby PolyesterHomes » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:21 pm

LordofFail wrote:I might go with a dokapon style combat system with attack/stroke/counter/defend or something

That's definitely a lot simpler than what I have in mind but that would work.
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:19 am

I’m with arc here, not that I wouldn’t be willing to process it

I just like how I’m currently running combat in my games so I don’t have a need for a new one

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9
FM Awards: Town

Postby TheNiceOne16 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:47 pm

Okay I had an idea. So what about catching the opponents weapon? Like using something close to a whip to wrap around the sword while their standing their or swinging at you and grabbing the bit you have wrapped or a "sword Breaker" which is basically a combat knife with deep grooves on the back side ment to catch then hold in the blade in it. This would keep their attack options with that weapon locked down and allow you to close the distance and attack with your free hand.
Nice To Meet You Friendo!
TheNiceOne16
Jester
Jester

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:56 pm

TheNiceOne16 wrote:Okay I had an idea. So what about catching the opponents weapon? Like using something close to a whip to wrap around the sword while their standing their or swinging at you and grabbing the bit you have wrapped or a "sword Breaker" which is basically a combat knife with deep grooves on the back side ment to catch then hold in the blade in it. This would keep their attack options with that weapon locked down and allow you to close the distance and attack with your free hand.

id like to see you even hit something with a whip without severely injuring yourself

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9

Postby PolyesterHomes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 pm

TheNiceOne16 wrote:Okay I had an idea. So what about catching the opponents weapon? Like using something close to a whip to wrap around the sword while their standing their or swinging at you and grabbing the bit you have wrapped or a "sword Breaker" which is basically a combat knife with deep grooves on the back side ment to catch then hold in the blade in it. This would keep their attack options with that weapon locked down and allow you to close the distance and attack with your free hand.

The latter sounds like a Parry. THe former already exists as a called shot.
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TheNiceOne16 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:23 pm

A whip is not necessary for the maneuver, a simple tough and bundled up fabric like a cloak would work. It's just the wrapping motion that is important. The "Sword Breaker" is diferent from parrying in that the blade is held instead of diverting it. This results in a semi grapple with your weapons for until the grapple is broken or the weapons are left instead of simply leaving your enemy open and then moving on like with parrying.

I have no idea where "called shot" is found in the docs Polyester.
Edit: I figured out that its an entire catagory. Are you talking about the "disarm" one? Because I think this technique is sufficiently different to get its own move.
TheNiceOne16
Jester
Jester

Postby PolyesterHomes » Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 pm

Update:

Buffed Concussion and debuffing maneuvers. A -1 or -2 isn't worth spending a turn for. In return, the effect now stacks differently.
Nerfed Parry and Riposte. It was strictly superior to attacking.
Nerfed 'Take the Wheel' so only conscious people may use it.
Nerfed 'All in attack', mostly to protect host characters.

Potential future changes:
Simplifying the bleed system to not track individual ML per turn but to instead check bleeding ratings. (0-5). In such a system, the score would increase based on how devastating a hit is and how much damage is dealt with. Blood count will be calculated after the encounter, or once every 5 turns.
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PolyesterHomes » Fri May 01, 2020 8:10 pm

Update^2:

I made an alternate system. Yes, it is basically just a health point system. Or, rather, two that feed into each other.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bVRE9UCiPHOOxuO-yDsOx1Kp5WFzNW8cSHHl0ulaPRs/edit?usp=sharing
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TheNiceOne16 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 pm

Okay this system feels both highly abusable and a tad more complicated than the last one. For instance, whats stoping someone from just getting two dizzy or concussion hits off and then immediatly using a de-limb aimed at the head to OHK once their knocked out, since the opponent has no ability to defend while unconscious? If its a pair role even worse since they can get the two dizzies off every round effectively stun locking you.

Okay this system seems to require someone get knocked out before death except in speacial cases so first aid is good for staying alive. Since pain is restored an hour after battle ends whats the point of using first aid to restore it? You certainly dont have enough time in combat to make it viable.

Why wouldn't someone just endlessly chain Knock the Wind out of somedbody?

Whats the pointing of turtling up using a shield? Won't that just make them a sitting duck to be killed?

Okay yeah that was my main points just giving the updated combat a quick pass. I think the new tokens system could use some work but the idea has merit to it and uncomplicates things vastly for the host if applied correctly.
TheNiceOne16
Jester
Jester

Postby PolyesterHomes » Fri May 01, 2020 11:59 pm

The simplification was more so to the health system, however, I will explain myself in regards to your statements on Concussions and dizziness.

These systems all require you to still land a hit. This isn't an automatic saving throw they need to make just because you decided to go for these actions. In every scenario where you would have the target make a saving throw, you'd be in a situation where you could have dealt damage instead. Yes, you could try to go the Dizziness -> Concussion -> Unconsciousness route in theory. However, at a minimum, it would take three turns to do so. This may not seem like much, but in that time period, you could have also taken 3 points of bleed from somebody already without bothering to rely on saving throws. Keep in mind, Dizziness is a relatively easy check. Most of the time, the enemy only needs to get about 11-15. If your enemy has a high vitality score, let's say +2, they're going to get that about 50% of the time. Should this occur, you'd need to try again, this time against an enemy that has a decent idea of what strategy you're going for.

If you go for the Dizziness 4 times, you'll need a minimum of 5 turns, any time of which your enemy could retreat, feint, go for an all-in attack, tackle you, or maybe even land a hit on you.

However, even so, this is a problem. Shutting a person down like this shouldn't be so easy. I'm going to make it so the penalty applies to Strength/Dexterity/Cunning checks. That way, that Vitality check doesn't get any harder for them to pass. This will significantly increase the amount of time this strategy takes, and thus make it non-viable in comparison to say, just attacking them.

I'll probably have some sort of move priority determined by the move + Dex. If we put retreating at the top, followed by attacks and maneuvers, this should prevent stun locking from happening.

Also to be fair if you're fighting more than one person, you should lose. A real-life knight with only their longsword would lose to 2-4+ peasants with pitchforks if the peasants put forward even a modicum of teamwork. The only thing stopping peasants in real life is resolved checks, and frankly, that's a big can of worms I'd rather design around not needing.

On the usefulness of first aid:
Simple. An hour of roaming is quite a while. Imagine if somebody sneak attacked you in your weakened state. Extending the time it takes for pain to heal is probably a good idea though. Maybe at the end of the phase.

Turtling up:

+2 to +10 on your defense test isn't anything to sniff at. If you're a killing role, that's probably going to be a total of a +6-8. Plus, shields would have their own bonus associated with it, given that it's an item, so a total of +10. This is good to mitigate the suffering felt by failing a feint.

Current Changelog:
Nerfed Concussion and Dizziness to no longer affect non-tangible things like fate itself, and to not decrease the enemy's ability to deal with getting hurt. They will also no longer stack, meaning you need to go for the harder check.
Nerfed knock out the wind to have priority on the turn order but allow the enemy to take a nonoffensive action on the following turn, preventing stun locking.
Nerfed Disorient with a blanket weapon-based penalty to prevent unarmed people from stun locking an ax-wielding maniac.
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PolyesterHomes » Fri May 22, 2020 11:01 am

Update:

Buffed healing by removing natural pain regeneration.
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to VLDR