Damned (Neutral Benign) (Revised! Very Detailed!)

Old Role Ideas

Damned (Neutral Benign) (Revised! Very Detailed!)

Postby Mystoc » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Role Name: Damned

You are a shade who has sinned not quite Alive or Dead unseen by the living, you have made a deal with Death who has promised to give you a new immortal body if you complete his task.

Role Alignment: Neutral Benign (maybe neutral evil or neutral chaos not sure leave suggestions!)

Abilities: Spoiler: -Select one person each night that is alive if they die in anyway till the end of next day you harvest their soul (includes hanging)

- any who visited the dead target or voted guilty on target you choose are exposed to your ghastly aura when you come to harvest the soul they become "marked"

- neutral killing is immune to the damned's aura , cannot be marked (since they are pure evil or insane the damned's ghastly aura has no effect on neutral killing)

- if you revive yourself (harvest you final soul) any that are marked, for that day only will be unable to vote and their vote will not count has part of the majority needed to vote someone up to be hanged

- cannot vote innocent or guilty either once someone is voted up must abstain if marked

EX:

-You revive yourself 6 people are alive besides you 4 of them are marked
-only 2 votes will be needed to vote someone up to stand (2 out 3 is majority only 2 are not marked not counting you so there are 3 people total who can vote!

(i have thought of making this debuff last the rest of the game but that seems to strong leave suggestions!)

Attributes: (when dead)
Spoiler: - unique role (can only ever be one damned in game)

- starts off dead
- your name and role appears in graveyard day 1
- town will see your dead body on day 1 as they walk out to town square and it is revealed "Mystoc has died mysteriously he is damned!"
- to be clear everyone will know there is a damned in the game at start of day 1
- cannot be targeted in anyway (you are dead)
- can only speak in dead chat (medium can see what he says during the night)

- sees all chat:
- whispers, town chat, mafia chat , dead chat , medium chat, Jailer chat , vampire chat
- you are revived from the dead once you have harvested 3 souls

- nothing bad happens to the souls you harvest they are all ready dead (maybe retribunist will be unable to revive them seems to strong though)

- dead / medium will see Damned role not player name when he talks in dead chat (so dead / medium dont have remember the damned's name when he types something also it looks cooler!)

Attributes: (when alive)
Spoiler: - (still sees all of the chat while alive) - whispers, town chat, mafia chat , dead chat , medium chat, Jailer chat , vampire chat
- can only speak in dead chat during night when alive (like medium)
- once revived can speak in town chat and can whisper / be whispered to.
- even when alive you cannot be targeted in anyway. (this includes being voted on! cannot be voted on)
- can vote

Goal:
Spoiler: -Live again

Victory Conditions:
-when you have harvested 3 souls you are revived and win.
-if you do not harvest 3 souls by the end of the game you loose.

-if you harvest your soul the night the game ends you will win. (you will walk out alive revived the day the game ends)

- if you harvest your last soul from a target that is hanged during the day that causes the game to end you DONT win you need a night to revive yourself!

-wins with everyone
-must kill no one

Investigative Results:
Spoiler: -since everyone will know your role because you appear dead in the graveyard on day 1
and you cannot be targeted in anyway
there are NO sheriff, investigator or consigliere results for the damned.

Additional Information:
Spoiler: - everyone in the game will know at the start that there is damned in the game
- the damned will be told at start of each night how many souls he has harvested
- only the the people who are marked will receive info the they have been marked by the damned at nights end
- this means unless this is shared, town / mafia / evils will have will have no idea how many souls you harvested so far could be 0 or 2

- if a target is hung a message will appear that the damned has come claim his soul (like jester message so all of the players will know the damned as successfully harvested a soul)

- vampire bite conversions do not count as a death, if vampire bites mafia and kills them it will count.

- a message will appear when the damned revives himself (like when retribunist revives someone)

- other players will not know who was debuffed when damned revives (game wont tell them , a clue will be if they are able vote anyone that will prove they arent marked)

What happens if a player leaves the game and you harvest their soul?:

Spoiler: - If a player that has left the game dies the next day as a result of suicide only this will NOT count as a harvested soul.

- If they left during the day they will be unselectable during the night as a soul to harvest.

- If they leave during the night and nothing else happens to them and you select them it will not count
(the damned has to pay attention to that players do receive messages during the night if someone leaves)

-If Something else happens to kill them and they leave it will still count
EX:(mafia kills john he leaves game before deaths are shown for day it would say something like this)
"John has committed suicide he was also killed by the mafia!"

Jailor interaction with the Damned:

Spoiler: the damned will not know who the jailor jailed he will not see either the jailor's name or the jailed's names

EX:

Jailhouse: hi
Jailhouse: hey
Jailhouse: role?
Jailhouse: im medium.
Jailhouse: okay

- this so the damned cannot know for sure who is being jailed or whose saying what
- the damned will not see if the jailor decides to execute

- he will get clues from chat yes but he cannot be sure who is saying what he might see someone say "no dont exe im good ull loose your exe" but who is it?
- even if the target says his name in chat and hes about to get executed it could be the jailor trying to trick you and pose has a jailed person saying a random name
or at the very last second the jailor could change his mind. (like the mafia does to the spy the jailor can play mind games with the damned)

Town interactions with the Damned:
Spoiler: - as stated before the damned can talk to the medium an no one else besides the dead while he is dead
- if the retributionist revives a target that has had its soul harvested he still keeps the soul doesn't loose it.
- the retributionist cannot revive the damned he inst town and inst targetable anyway.

The damned's pick is not effected by transporter

EX:

damned predicts target C will die mafia decides to kill target C
transporter transports C with A dies instead
the damned's pick does not transfer to A
if the transporter somehow causes target C to die then it will count
(name must die that is picked for soul to be harvested doesn't matter how)

My reasoning why Neutral Killing is immune to being marked:
Spoiler: this also for balancing reason NK is the hardest role to win as and being immune to this makes sense lore wise also.
- mafia will recieve this debuff if one of them is debuffed they will be very careful and try to kill targets the damned wont pick.
- this just doesnt only hurt mafia any visiting town role can get the the debuff that debuffs them upon the damned's revival
- any town or mafia and NE (witch can visit) that visit a target that died and the damned predicted would die will receive the debuff.
- also NK will be the damned's only real "ally" the NK wants the damned to win because if he does people will will be unable to vote a day and he might get an ally making it easier for NK to win
- the damned does not have to side with NK if he revives himself but maybe the damned will be grateful "helped" him win and help NK win in return.

How the marked debuff works with Neutral Killing:
Spoiler: - if Serial killer kills the damned must pick that target serial killer kills.

- if Werewolf kills the damned can pick any of the targets that die as a result from the werewolf
primary target or secondary targets

(however only the target the damned picked will give people the marked debuff if they visit that target)

- If Arsonist kills the damned can pick any of the targets who dies from being ignited and it will count

(however only the target the damned picked will give people the marked debuff if they visit that target )

-A damned who picks someone who is doused that night does nothing! (they dont die)

!

Notifications: (if you can think of a better way to word something let me know!)
Spoiler:

"Name has died mysteriously they are damned!"

(all other players will receive this message day 1 after they walk into the town square)

"you have harvested x soul(s) so far!"
(at start of each night the damned will be reminded how may souls hes collected)

"You have successfully harvested a soul!"
(damned sees this when he picks correctly and harvests a soul. sees at the end of the night OR after the target he picked is hanged during the day)

"You live again! you have successfully harvested 3 souls!"
(the damned sees this after the night ends and he as harvested his 3rd soul)

"You have been Marked! the target you visited last night died and had its soul collected by the damned!"
(only players who have been marked will recvieve this message at the end of the night)

"The Damned has come to collect this condemned soul!"
(everyone will see this message when the damned's chosen target for the day is hanged)

"The Damned lives again! Upon being exposed to his ghastly aura a second time you are temporarily rendered mute from sheer terror you cannot participate in voting in anyway for one day!"
(marked players will receive this message when the damned revives him self at end of night)

"Name is no longer damned they live once again!"
(everyone sees this when the damned revives himself like retribunist message.)

Achievements:
Spoiler: Death's Errand Boy: Win your first game as a Damned.
Death's Servant: Win 5 games as a Damned.
Death's Employee: Win 10 games as a Damned.
Death's Partner: Win 25 games as a Damned.
Over Achiever: Win by day 4. (fastest possible you can do this)
Cutting it Close! : Win the day the game ends.
Town's Mascot: Harvest only Mafia souls and win.
Mafia's Lapdog: Harvest only Town souls and win.
Equal Opportunist: Harvest 3 different factions souls and win.
Wannabe Killer: Harvest only murdered souls and win.(people who died during the night)
Wannabe Executioner: Harvest only condemned souls and win.(people who died from hanging)
Any Soul Will Do!:: Harvest a mix of the condemned and murdered souls and win.
Who's Laughing Now?!: Win and be the only one left alive when the game ends.
(its funny cause instead of you being the only one dead at the start your the only one alive at the end!)

Lore: Spoiler: the damned was a former Investigator who was angry at town for not lynching a person who he had found proof had killed his family. Driven by grief and anger the investigator decided to take the law into his own hands late in the late of night he visited this persons house and shot and killed them. the next day it turned out they were an innocent town member who had been framed by the framer. Instead of feeling remorse the Investigator became somewhat deranged he reasoned that the town member had deserved it! the town member was complicit in his families murder by not listening to him sooner they all were to blame every last one and the real murders had to die! The next night in the poring rain the Investigator took his gun to shoot another "evildoer". This time the Mayor and the sheriff were hiding out in the town square when they saw him leave his house with a gun they confronted him. in Anger he admitted to his crimes railed at them they were stopping him from doing his job his duty!. The mayor and sheriff tried to arrest him for murder and conspiring to murder another but he would not go in quietly a gun battle ensued the Investigator was shot and mortally wounded . As the town member lay dying the poring rain it was then he realized in his grief and anger he had done a terrible thing and would most likely go to hell when he died. He was afraid of what his punishment might be and would do anything to to stay alive anything! It was then that death appeared only before him in his hooded robe cloaked im mist scythe in skeletal hands and said into the dying town members mind "anything you said"? "You are about to die but what if I offered you a second chance, a better life where you would live forever? "Anything! anything just give me a second chance." the town member thought back. "Very well" said death "After you die I will give you a new form one where you are not quite dead but not quite alive either, you will be agonizing pain and alone and unseen in this form , If you dont complete my task by the deadline you will remain this way damned unseen and in agony in purgatory forever". "If you do complete my task I will revive you in a new immortal body that is invulnerable to injury and never hungers , tires or feels pain do you accept? Without even caring what the task was the town member accepted he reasoned anything was better then the dawning abyss of the unknown that was death. He would complete what ever the task was, he had to! "Very well said Death your task is to harvest me 3 freshly killed souls. 3 souls, this should be enough payment for me to overlook your death and give you a new body. However it will take you some time to harvest these souls they must be freshly killed so be sure to pick who you think will die wisely for a soul dissipates quickly!" shortly after the town member died and he rose from his body a shade of his former self. He had job to do and the clock was ticking because if he didnt complete his task in time he would remain damned forever...

Why I feel this role is balanced

Spoiler: - only the day the damned revives himself will he be powerful his vote will might decide which way the game will goes with his vote (since alot people will be unable to vote for that day)
-after the day he revives himself he is like a survivor but immune and also has a lot of information he can choose to share (still sees all of the chat while alive)

- he is really only a threat to everyone while he is still dead.
- there are usually 5-7 days in a game the damned must predict a death 3 times to win this is not and easy thing to do in 5-7 days

- this why the damned can see all chat and he as all this information but is he smart enough to process it all and make the right decison?

Feedback I need the most:

Spoiler: -what role should the damned be? (i think neutral benign is best )

-(if it was neutral evil , evil roles would have a hard time calling sheriff results executioner plays) (yes there can be two neutral evils through any but this is very unlikely)
- (if it was neutral chaos town would know what any was on day 1 and that doesn't seem fair to evil roles.)

-Should the retribunist be able to revive a a harvested soul that died?

-Are the ways neutral killing roles interact with the damned fair ( is it to hard for the damned or to easy to harvest a soul?)

-How long should the marked penalty last? (one day , two days , the rest of the game? ect...\)

- is 3 harvested souls to much - MAYBE 2? (remember the less people there are the easier it will be to predict who will die)

LASTLY and most importantly!!
- My goal with this role was that everyone who was marked would not want the damned to revive himself so i want the penalty to be a fair to the damned and the rest of the players.
- Is the debuff to harsh or not harsh enough? (leave FEEDBACK!)

alternatives to not being able to vote for a day / not being part of majority as penalty suggested so far below.

(suggestions so far none!)

I believe i covered everything any questions or suggestions/criticism is welcome!
Last edited by Mystoc on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:09 am, edited 147 times in total.
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Damned (Neutral Evil)

Postby mihail66 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:54 am

I would say that NB would be a pretty good alignment for this. So this is a role that can't be killed because it's already dead, now some people will say that this is OP but in my opinion being spectator predicting kills is challenging, you never know who is gonna die. Also, it gives the mafia an opportunity, they can tell the Damned who the mafia will kill if the Damned sides with them when revived(but please allow him to vote when revived)
And please don't kill all marked that is too far OP, I would prefer it to be a not killing role, or maybe killing 1 marked will be ok.
Oh and remove the lynch as case of dead, it is too easy to predict.
mihail66
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Mystoc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:13 am

-he cant be killed yes but in most peoples mind getting killed means you loose this not the case if the damned doesn't revive himself by the end of the game he looses.

death being to strong a penalty: (please suggest another penalty that those get if he revives himself!)

-okay but i feel i like there must be a penalty maybe u loose ability to vote for the day the damned is revived and your vote doesn't count has part of majority?
example the damned marks 3 people he revives him self 5 people are left when he does only two votes are needed to vote someone to the stand that day.

mafia working with the damned:

i dont want mafia to able to work with him because it would to be to easy he can read mafia chat mafia needs a reason to not want him to revive i think.

the vote counting has predicting a death:

- the damned picks who he thinks will die during the night if he thinks someone will be hanged based on the last day chat he must pick them during the night.

-in my mind it wont be that easy to predict town knows there a damned in the game if someone was called out being mafia the day before and the damned picks them town has two choices

-hang him anyway because the damned needs 3 souls town wont care if he gets one nothing happens till he gets 3.

-or town votes up the suspected mafia and ask only the people they dont trust to vote guilty or just one person votes guilty like jester.
Last edited by Mystoc on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby AnaKat » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:06 am

It seems like an interesting idea, but there are a few questions I have.

-If he can see the mafia chat, won't they usually say who they target? Ex.:

John has decided to kill Cake tonight.
Cake: no dont kill him
Cake: kill Miss instead
John has decided to kill Miss instead.

Obviously the damned wouldn't be able to see who they targeted, but the mafia commonly say who they are going to kill like this. That would make it incredibly easy for the damned. Of course, an easy fix for this would be for the mafia not to say who they will target, but then they will not be able to talk about their targets at all, making the mafia chat almost useless.

A reason for the mafia not to want to work with the damned is because they get marked. A possible punishment for them is to be roleblocked for, say, two nights when he gets revived, so the evils won't be able to kill anyone and the town investigatives would have two extra nights to find them. That way, no evils would want to work with the mafia.

-Death does seem like a huge penalty for the marked. For example, the mafia would kill someone, clean them, and disguise as them, so that's 3 people already that are marked for only one night.

-What about the vampires? If the damned targeted someone who was bitten that night, what happens? Does he get a soul for that? Does he get a mark, but not a soul?

-Maybe if the damned's target gets hung that day, one of the guilty voters would become marked, similar to a Jester?
Image Image save my babies! Image Image

AnaKat
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Mystoc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:27 am

1) the idea is that mafia doesn't want the damned to be alive (usauly) because most of time one or more them will have the debuff so they wont want to tell him he they are killing also if they do tell him and they dont have the debuff the Mafioso will get the debuff becasue he visted a target the damned and picked and they died.
(they also might say a fake name to trick him into picking the wrong target)
(also cancel spaming vote to kill / ability in mafia chat is way to to talk without typing i know its kinda gimmicky but it works i use it all the time with consig when i find a juicy role)

2) yes the damned only see chat and not decisons.

3 I have added your suggestion to the alternatives to death section i like it (town would get this debuff to then the if they were marked correct? not just mafia)

4) vampire conversion will not count they are still in game (some could argue vampires are dead lore wise) but im thinking must die for real.

5) in regards to the the the one voters being marked i dont like that becasue it introduces RNG to the game
(maybe add a way for the damned to pick during the night who should get marked? from voting guilty during the the day)
maybe add moon icon with list of guilty voters during the night if he doesnt pick it will random like the jestor.
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Idea Archives