My first role idea: Soulkeeper

Old Role Ideas

Re: My first role idea: Soulkeeper (Edited!) (80% Support!)

Postby Crazyzombie168 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:26 pm

I like the concept of this role, very interesting. Adds some spice to the game. Plus the dead can give info to the Soulkeeper as they all prepare for the awakening.
Shapeshifter Neutral Killing

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48756
Crazyzombie168
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Spectre0 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:41 pm

(Deleted)
Last edited by Spectre0 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Crazyzombie168 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:51 pm

Spectre0 wrote:Unfortunately, it's possible that my role won't be put into the testing grounds solely because of the incompetence of at least SOME TG mods.

I won't go into specifics, and I won't link the place where this happened because it's an unrelated conversation I don't want derailed.

The essentials are this: I pm'd kirize12 ("TG representative") asking for this role to be considered for testing grounds. She responded with 1. a BLATANT bias against conversion roles (Literally implying that it's impossible for a conversion role to be balanced) and 2. Feedback which showed she didn't read the role. She didn't know what the Awakening was, for Christ's sake.

I pm'd the executive of TG asking for both consideration and complaining about the incompetency of kirzie12. Here's hoping Kirzie12 doesn't reflect the intelligence of the other TG staff.

I don't really consider this a conversion role. I don't think its impossible for them for conversion roles to be balanced either. However if the conversion role in question is town I think it will just be OP.

Crazyzombie168
Investigator
Investigator

Postby RosalinasGalaxy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:52 pm

Spectre0 wrote:Unfortunately, it's possible that my role won't be put into the testing grounds solely because of the incompetence of at least SOME TG mods.

I won't go into specifics, and I won't link the place where this happened because it's an unrelated conversation I don't want derailed.

The essentials are this: I pm'd A certain mod ("TG representative") asking for this role to be considered for testing grounds. She responded with 1. a BLATANT bias against conversion roles (Literally implying that it's impossible for a conversion role to be balanced) and 2. Feedback which showed she didn't read the role. She didn't know what the Awakening was, for Christ's sake.

I pm'd the executive of TG asking for both consideration and complaining about the incompetency of that mod. Here's hoping this mod doesn't reflect the intelligence of the other TG staff.

When I wanted my Farmer role to be in testing grounds, I had to PM all the staff for Testing Grounds. That way, they can all work together to figure out things.
But the only issue I have is that yes, some of the Testing Ground staff are not very...welcoming.
Happy-end-of-the-year holidays!
RosalinasGalaxy
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby RosalinasGalaxy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Kirize12 wrote:First of all, HE.

Second of all, me not liking a role doesn't mean it's going to get insta-excluded.

If you'd look at the TG Roles for November thread, there's a bunch of roles I don't like, all of which are on the poll.

Oh.

But still. If you really called someone out like the way he says it happened, I think you should try to be more welcoming about it instead of down-pouring on their parade.
RosalinasGalaxy
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Spectre0 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:35 pm

I made a mistake posting about this on my post, and I don't want any conflict spilling into here. That was my bad. I was very angry at the time, but I acted out of line and immaturely.

I'm deleting any of my posts related to the manner. I urge everyone who commented on it to do the same, and only continue this in PM's if you must.

Thanks, guys.
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby BlazinIce » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:01 am

I just have one problem.
Let's say, in a match, there's an amazing jailor who learns tons of information, and executed the NK, and 2 mafia. Then he eventually gets killed, and the soulkeeper revived him. Then the soulkeeper dies, and the jailor, now a spectre, dies too. Finally, town wins. But the jailor who played amazingly loses. He doesn't deserve that. Maybe after the soulkeeper dies, the spectre turns itself into its original role (And dies)
Last edited by BlazinIce on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to get unlimited Town Points in Town of Salem
I'm a forum regular. You may see me in Role Ideas (critiquing bad roles), Testing Grounds, Feedback, Suggestions, or Forum Games. I'm also in ToS as Noone.

Mortician -A Neutral Evil Janitor that buries lynches. Has over 100 supporters!
Gossiper -A Neutral Evil role that gives a player valuable information about another player each night.
BlazinIce
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Spectre0 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:10 am

BlazinIce wrote:I just have one problem.
Let's say, in a match, there's an amazing jailor who learns tons of information, and executed the NK, and 2 mafia. Then he eventually gets killed, and the soulkeeper revived him. Then the soulkeeper dies, and the jailor, now a spectre, dies too. Finally, town wins. But the jailor who played amazingly loses. He doesn't deserve that. Maybe after the soulkeeper dies, the spectre turns itself into its original role.

Fair point. However, I think being able to bring back 5 people at once and then make it possible to revert back to the original role is ridiculously chaotic and unbalanced. Especially since if the Soulkeeper steals, say, evil-only souls, it will be impossible to kill SK without screwing yourself anyway.

The problem is that ANY role can be screwed over undeservingly by another person. If your mafia killer is AFK, everyone in mafia loses. If your godfather is stupid and attacks someone who the BG will protect, the mafioso IS screwed. If the mayor isn't good at scumreading, this DOES hurt every townie. Mafia sometimes will (and I've been on the receiving end of this) kill the witch end-game, just 'cause they can. Obviously this is different - most of those issues lie within the same faction - but I think that a role shouldn't be excluded for the sole reason that it makes it possible to make someone who deserves to win lose. There's a lot of roles which cause and suffer from that issue.
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Sandyduck » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Spoiler:
RosalinasGalaxy wrote:

The essentials are this: I pm'd A certain mod ("TG representative") asking for this role to be considered for testing grounds. She responded with 1. a BLATANT bias against conversion roles (Literally implying that it's impossible for a conversion role to be balanced) and 2. Feedback which showed she didn't read the role. She didn't know what the Awakening was, for Christ's sake.

I pm'd the executive of TG asking for both consideration and complaining about the incompetency of that mod. Here's hoping this mod doesn't reflect the intelligence of the other TG staff.

When I wanted my Farmer role to be in testing grounds, I had to PM all the staff for Testing Grounds. That way, they can all work together to figure out things.
But the only issue I have is that yes, some of the Testing Ground staff are not very...welcoming.

Don't tell Spectre0
Here is the link to the argument that Spectre0 and Kirize12.
http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=54618

░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄
░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░█▄
█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒█
█░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀█
░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░█
░░█░░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█
░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄█░█
░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░▀▀█▀█▀██░█
░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄▄▄█▄█▄▀░░█
░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█
░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Last edited by Sandyduck on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandyduck

Postby BlazinIce » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Spectre0 wrote:
Let's say, in a match, there's an amazing jailor who learns tons of information, and executed the NK, and 2 mafia. Then he eventually gets killed, and the soulkeeper revived him. Then the soulkeeper dies, and the jailor, now a spectre, dies too. Finally, town wins. But the jailor who played amazingly loses. He doesn't deserve that. Maybe after the soulkeeper dies, the spectre turns itself into its original role.

Fair point. However, I think being able to bring back 5 people at once and then make it possible to revert back to the original role is ridiculously chaotic and unbalanced.

Sorry, I forgot to say after the soulkeeper dies, they still die too.
I'm a forum regular. You may see me in Role Ideas (critiquing bad roles), Testing Grounds, Feedback, Suggestions, or Forum Games. I'm also in ToS as Noone.

Gossiper -A Neutral Evil role that gives a player valuable information about another player each night.
BlazinIce
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Spectre0 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Sandyduck wrote:Don't tell Spectre0
Here is the link to the argument that Spectre0 and Kirize12.
http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=54618

m8
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby RosalinasGalaxy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:16 pm

BlazinIce wrote:
Spectre0 wrote:

Fair point. However, I think being able to bring back 5 people at once and then make it possible to revert back to the original role is ridiculously chaotic and unbalanced.

Sorry, I forgot to say after the soulkeeper dies, they still die too.

Hold on a minute...
I thought it was agreed on earlier that if the Soulkeeper dies with revived Spectre, the Spectre still remain even if their headmaster dies.
Usually it's going to be obvious who the soulkeeper is after revival because once their confirmed, everyone is going to look around for the person who hasn't claimed a role yet.

If the Soulkeeper dies with revived Spectre, I think it's best to leave the Spectre to help vote off what they can so that the Soulkeeper and Spectre still have chances at victory.
RosalinasGalaxy
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Spectre0 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:31 pm

I'm not sure why I changed that, Rosalina, since I agree with you. I'm sure there was a reason.

Regardless, I changed it back.
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Villagerlover » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:37 pm

I really like this!
But I have one question.

What happens if it's alone(no spectre collection/all are dead), and happens to stand to the near end? Do they win for simply being alive? Or must they be lynched?
What exactly must the Soulkeeper do to win?

Since it only wins with itself/spectre/survivors/witches, but has night immunity, I feel like it would definitely need to be lynched.

But at the same time, it's going to be tedious if it happens to be with itself, and an opposing role.
The way I see it, it would have to end in either a draw, or for some reason, other factions overtake a Soulkeeper?

I'm not too sure. Please elaborate.
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Crazyzombie168 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Let's say, in a match, there's an amazing jailor who learns tons of information, and executed the NK, and 2 mafia. Then he eventually gets killed, and the soulkeeper revived him. Then the soulkeeper dies, and the jailor, now a spectre, dies too. Finally, town wins. But the jailor who played amazingly loses. He doesn't deserve that. Maybe after the soulkeeper dies, the spectre turns itself into its original role (And dies)

Same thing can happen with Vampire, IMO this won't change anything. Plus it gives the Spectres a reason to throw away their goal.

Crazyzombie168
Investigator
Investigator

Postby RosalinasGalaxy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Crazyzombie168 wrote:

Same thing can happen with Vampire, IMO this won't change anything. Plus it gives the Spectres a reason to throw away their goal.

If either of you read the original post thoroughly, you'd know Spectre don't die if the Soulkeeper dies.
RosalinasGalaxy
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby BlazinIce » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 am

RosalinasGalaxy wrote:
Crazyzombie168 wrote:

If either of you read the original post thoroughly, you'd know Spectre don't die if the Soulkeeper dies.

I know, but my suggestion suggests they do

BlazinIce
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby RosalinasGalaxy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:52 pm

BlazinIce wrote:
RosalinasGalaxy wrote:
Crazyzombie168 wrote:

I know, but my suggestion suggests they do

Why do you believe this?
It will only ruin the game for others rather than help them. I see the Soulkeeper as having a second chance at redemption despite your "loss".

And making Spectre die when their leader dies is going to take that away.
RosalinasGalaxy
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: My first role idea: Soulkeeper (100+ Views!)

Postby Sandyduck » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Spoiler:
RosalinasGalaxy wrote:
Spectre0 wrote:
BS4125 wrote:I have a great idea for this role:
This role should be a Mafia Support role however it can only keep a soul for one night.
It can use their ability in the day to say who to talk to. Also, using this, the target will see who the Soulkeeper talks as as 'Medium' so the Soulkeeper can get information from townies by tricking them that they are Medium. The target cannot communicate to the other dead people because it can confirm there is no Medium really there. Hope this helps and you take this into account

Nah. Too big of a change.

Yeah. I feel like this isn't a good role for the mafia.
You shouldn't create a whole new team of mafia.

Were here to support a neutral chaos role. Not an absurdly different mafia role.

BS4125 Why don't you make this into a role?
Sandyduck

Postby Spectre0 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Just a small bump, since I would like some feedback and fresh eyes on this idea.
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby alex1234321 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:19 pm

I like this role. While conversion is, in my opinion, the second worst aspect that a role can have (hardcounters are first), this role does it correctly. The largest problem with conversion roles is that they are chaotic, with this role, everyone knows that the revived people are Spectres, so a Soulkeeper would not revive unless the Spectres would give it majority. I would probably vote for it if you put it on the Testing Grounds poll. /support
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby RosalinasGalaxy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 pm

alex1234321 wrote:I like this role. While conversion is, in my opinion, the second worst aspect that a role can have (hardcounters are first), this role does it correctly. The largest problem with conversion roles is that they are chaotic, with this role, everyone knows that the revived people are Spectres, so a Soulkeeper would not revive unless the Spectres would give it majority. I would probably vote for it if you put it on the Testing Grounds poll. /support

Actually, I wanna vote for it right now. Is it on the poll?
RosalinasGalaxy
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Spectre0 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:53 am

Ralozey wrote:We have decided to deny your role by the following reasons:

Rule 3:
Your role idea should not take control of another role. This can also go hand-in-hand with Requirement #1.

Rule 4:
Keep Town and Neutral role ideas as the "uninformed majority" and Mafia role ideas as the "informed minority". To be more specific, the Town shouldn't know other Town members right off the bat and the Mafia should know all of their members.

If you have got any questions regarding your denial please state so.
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Spectre0 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:35 am

(Last bump. I don't want this idea to be forgotten before I have time to get feedback and try for TG again)
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Spectre0 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:11 am

dmsc1999 wrote:This is a very good idea despite the rest of these derps giving bad reviews. I would definitely vote yes

Honestly, the only bad reviews were from Testing Grounds staff, and their issues with my role made no sense to me. Mostly because my role breaks their Town of Salem role rules, which themselves are way too limiting.

That's part of the reason i'm pretty pissed about being shot down like that. I know this role is good, and almost everyone agrees that it's good. However, it can't be permitted in the game because the Soulkeeper knows who the Spectres are, and is therefore a bad idea (And that's really all the justification I got. I'm still confused about that).
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

PreviousNext

Return to Role Idea Archives