Balanced Disguiser: #RunItBack

Old Role Ideas

Should this be added into a game? (Optionally, please explain your decision)

Yes!
91%
No.
5%
Disguiser is okay as is.
5%

Total votes : 330

Re: Balanced Disguiser mechanics

Postby PolyesterHomes » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Yes. Absolutely yes.
Add now.
"Whisper in the dark. The battle may yet be won."
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby oliy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:29 pm

Disguiser needs a different buff, because Disguiser becomes confirmed without a Medium or Spy. Those are the problems we should address.
Simple fixes:
Remove target's last wills
Target is Blackmailed in death for two days
Spy will not see the Disguiser, and the Mafia will attack the Disguiser's name.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby orangeandblack5 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 am

oliy wrote:Disguiser needs a different buff, because Disguiser becomes confirmed without a Medium or Spy. Those are the problems we should address.
Simple fixes:

I believe you mean "with a Medium or a Spy".

And honestly, that's fine.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby KirbyRider1337 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:24 pm

orangeandblack5 wrote:
oliy wrote:Disguiser needs a different buff, because Disguiser becomes confirmed without a Medium or Spy. Those are the problems we should address.
Simple fixes:

I believe you mean "with a Medium or a Spy".

And honestly, that's fine.

Agreed on keeping this weakness; Medium and Spy can point out forgeries or a Disguiser who disguised as a cleaned/forged person, even with the Last Will vulnerabilities for the latter scenario. Plus, the whole point of this thread was to balance the Disguiser...
I like these roles:
Town: BodyGuard, Investigator, Jailor, Mayor, Spy
Mafia: Consigliere, Janitor, Mafioso
Neutral: Arsonist, Jester, Serial Killer
KirbyRider1337
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Mroz4k » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:58 am

Simple fixes:

you just summed down everything thats wrong with absolute majority of Role ideas as a thread.

People are always trying to overbuff their ideas for roles/buffs, in absolute majority of times.

Seriously, not a single one of the buffs you suggested is neccesary, or even a good idea, for a number of reasons.

There should always be a role that contradicts a certain Mafia role. Always.
And, speaking of Spy in general, thats kind of the role thats ultimate at confronting Mafia roles (just by seeing who they visit). Anyways Medium buff in general is a good idea, and Medium + Spy counterclaim ability towards Disguiser is also great, considering this buff gave Disguiser quite a decent power.
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby K1llthestory » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 am

ew no that's not how balance works roles shouldn't counter each other they should counter a lot of roles indirectly with a unique ability but ew that logic is gross
Flow 2018 - Heroes only.

what are the 7 words to say?
K1llthestory
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby orangeandblack5 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:05 am

Hardcounters aren't great, but weaknesses are allowable.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Mroz4k » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:12 am

K1llthestory wrote:ew no that's not how balance works roles shouldn't counter each other they should counter a lot of roles indirectly with a unique ability but ew that logic is gross

There are lot of roles that are specifically what I would refer to as "cryptonite" toward another role. Spy in general is sort of a cryptonite towards Mafia in general. Like, Medium is a cryptonite to Janitor right now - as weak of a role as Medium is cause of its low confirmability, it removes one of the biggest Mafia powers in the game - ability to make a safe claimspot. Blackmailer is a cryptonite towards Mayor, for reasons rather obvious.

Its not like an existence of that role will neccesarily mean you will get lynched. I mean, good luck trying to convince someone this person was disguised as Medium, most ppl will consider you Jester or Exec unless you are trying a lot.

On the contrary, if you accuse the Disguiser out of being disguised, he will just disguise again to avoid the suspicion. It wont be easy to catch them.
Removing the deathnote makes Disguiser a low-quality Janitor of sorts. And blackmailing dead people is just lazy.
This is elegant suggestion that makes Disguiser still a rather unique role in terms of functioning, not a bastard copy of a different role.

(IMO if Disguising blackmails dead people, why doesnt cleaning work the same way? Whats the difference between those two, really, except one creates a spot to claim as well?)
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby K1llthestory » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:17 am

spy is a horribly constructed role.

Medium indirectly counters janitor with its ability that's useful in any game. Same with BMer except it'd be hard to BM mayor lmfao.
Flow 2018 - Heroes only.

what are the 7 words to say?
K1llthestory
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Mroz4k » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:34 am

K1llthestory wrote:spy is a horribly constructed role.

I dont dissagre on that point. As a role, Spy needs to be completedly overhauled. We had some pretty decent ideas as a group on that, too.

K1llthestory wrote:Medium indirectly counters janitor with its ability that's useful in any game. Same with BMer except it'd be hard to BM mayor lmfao.

Thats kind of what I meant by the Kryptonite. There is no role that would be specifically against another role, except for Vampire Hunter and lets be honest, Vampire Hunter is the biggest garbage of a role there is. I dont even consider it a role, tbh. To me, there are only two Town Killing roles cause that garbage doesnt count.
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby orangeandblack5 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:14 am

Three.

Jailor.

But I guess you're not wrong, since Jailor is confirmed in Ranked and most Custom games. Also because it is so OP that it doesn't even compare, even to Veteran.
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Mroz4k » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:34 am

Just going to bump this up real quick... I am still dissatisfied with the amount of feedback on this, could use more opinions/comments on this.

22 yes vs 2 no for the poll to put this into effect feels pretty well. Its good to see people are interested in seeing the old roles corrected, rather then have them be removed or kept the same way. This should help elevate Mafia power by a decent amount - while keeping Disguiser independent from other roles like Framer or Janitor.
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Jerme » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:45 am

Well I have often seen and read this topic. I do like the idea and have nothing to add, nor do I have open questions to it, so I abstained from commenting.
In the poll I have voted yes, since this way it is still noticeable that a person got disguised as, but harder to detect. I don't this change makes me stop playing Mafia goon/Jester when I am Disguiser, but this is a personal reason. Good job on this.
May I know how much time you have spent on this?
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Mroz4k » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:02 am

Jerme wrote:May I know how much time you have spent on this?

Depends.

On this particular idea? It was epiphany, I think I was reading some of Kirize´s or Orange´s Role Ideas when it struck me. Or it might have been when there was a discussion about Elastoid´s Spy change idea.
When I got it, I spent about a day or two thinking through all the possible scenarios that came to my mind. Trying to figure out the weak points or illogical interactions there could be with this scenario.

As far as trying to figure out how to fix Disguiser, as well as bunch of other roles - its going to be over a year now. I tend to think through a number of possible opinions, situations and ideas for buffs because I´d prefer the game was more balanced out rather then push out newer and newer roles, because looking back, this always seems to destabilize the game rather then make it more balanced. Vampire & Vampire Hunter are the perfect example.
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby orangeandblack5 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:13 am

And Werewolf
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Robocog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I would love this to be added, it would make Disguiser more enjoyable for me, because as it is right now, Disguiser is absolutely AWFUL.

It is basically not even worth disguising if there isn't a Janitor or Forger, because everyone puts their name in their will. Sometimes they even put a different name to try to get someone lynched.

So, yeah I am all for this role. I would love to see it make it to the TG :D
Even if you are Veteran, don't piss off a WereWolf.

-A WereWolf Victim
I go by: Based Larry, Disco King.
Robocog
Witch
Witch

Location: Where ever the WereWolf can continue to hunt me, and not care that I am in fact Survivor.

Postby mmss5joker » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:20 pm

I saw a person say disguiser is ok......DISGUISER IS NOT OK. It is extremly hard to disguise in rank, since most people put names in wills.
IN GAME NAME: Suicidal Bob

CHECK THIS OUT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36703
mmss5joker
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Tricks » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:47 am

Disguiser need this buff.
Tricks
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby GuldenFlame » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:40 am

Here is one thing that could give this away.
The second person's will will only be up to date of the night he died. This would be the new giveaway for the disguiser.

Night 4: Giles dies
Will: Giles the Transporter
N1 2&3
N2 11&6

Due to the fact it was written as if he died N2, the town would know a disguiser is about.
I make role ideas... most of them apparently stink.

Except maybe these ones. Spoiler: Alchemist
Magician
Soul taker

I've been gone for a while. What have I been doing you may ask?
Spoiler: Image
GuldenFlame
Medium
Medium

Postby Mroz4k » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:28 pm

GuldenFlame wrote:Here is one thing that could give this away.
The second person's will will only be up to date of the night he died. This would be the new giveaway for the disguiser.

N1 2&3
N2 11&6

Due to the fact it was written as if he died N2, the town would know a disguiser is about.

Which may or may not be a give away at all. Could be they didnt update the will, or it might be forged, or it could be they just stopped caring to keep the will up to date.

Anyway this is pretty valid point, thanks. Regardless, its not as immidiate as the names in last wills, so its still a big improvement.

Here is another thought. What about Disguiserbeing able to add new info into their victims las will, but being unable to remove the previous one?
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby orangeandblack5 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Mroz4k wrote:

N1 2&3
N2 11&6

Which may or may not be a give away at all. Could be they didnt update the will, or it might be forged, or it could be they just stopped caring to keep the will up to date.

Anyway this is pretty valid point, thanks. Regardless, its not as immidiate as the names in last wills, so its still a big improvement.

Here is another thought. What about Disguiserbeing able to add new info into their victims las will, but being unable to remove the previous one?

This isn't even a problem.

It only gives away that the person was disguised after they die.

And that's only a problem the second and third times you disguise, if you even do.

Again, not a problem.
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Mroz4k » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Oh, right. Not sure why I considered this bad.

It just confirms existence of Disguiser, who would be proven this way anyways because the second last will wouldnt match the role of the actual victim, only name (and role of the previous disguiser body.)
So this is no big deal.

(thx orange for bringing me back to senses)
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby orangeandblack5 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Mroz4k wrote:(thx orange for bringing me back to senses)

It's what I'm here for :P
Spoiler:

orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Wzombie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:35 pm

I. Love. This. YOU HEAR THAT, BMG? ADD IT.

Otherwise I will be very unhappy
I usually go by the IGN "Linen Mather"

I blame PewDiePie

Check out my Courier Role

Spoiler:

VucubCaquix wrote:Our juice was already diluted with water. More water has been added, but the juice has long been too watery for a parrot like me to drink. And thus, nothing was truly changed.

-These words of wisdom are about the influx of new players brought upon us by the YouTubers.
Wzombie
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby PinataColada » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:53 am

N1 2&3
N2 11&6

Still, you have a fighting chance now instead of the original "disguise and get lynched immediately" problem.

/support
PinataColada
Benefactor
Benefactor

PreviousNext

Return to Role Idea Archives