Town on Steam ridiculously overheats my laptop

Bugs reports for the Steam Client

Town on Steam ridiculously overheats my laptop

Postby Zayex » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi, so I've had this problem for a while now, but I haven't found a fix.

Basically, the game is just a heat generator. It's like if my laptop were a stove and playing the game sets it to hot. My laptop is an Asus flagship with 16 gigs of RAM, 2.8 (boost to 3.8) ghz processor, 4K HDR screen, GTX 1050 graphics card, and all of that. And I can run Rome II at max settings without that much overheating. Yet when I play this Unity game that doesn't even have "gameplay" in those terms, it just continually overheats my laptop until it's hot to the touch and the game crashes.

And this happens as soon as I launch it -- I've tested it. Just being in the main menu or shop overheats it in 10 minutes, which is absurd. My friend plays with a shitty $100 HP laptop that runs the game better than my quasi-gaming laptop, so what's the deal? I'm at a complete loss.

And let me add, it didn't always do this. I've played since 2015 (I think on Steam since 2016) and it NEVER overheated until these past few months. I'd taken a hiatus from town for a year and a half, then when I came back, the overheating problem started. The browser version was fine, though, but I haven't tried the updated version yet.

I'll appreciate any assistance because I just don't really know what to do. Steam forums and the ToS subreddit weren't of any help, either.
Definitely not a newbie
Zayex
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Town on Steam ridiculously overheats my laptop

Postby DocExer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:03 pm

@Zayex, have you turned on the VSync option in the burger menu? If this is turned off, the game will try to run as fast as your computer will support. If VSync is turned on, it will slow it down. Let me know if this does anything for you. Thanks.
DocExer
Developer
Developer

Re: Town on Steam ridiculously overheats my laptop

Postby Zayex » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:19 am

Sorry for the late reply!

I turned VSync off, and it helped a bit, but not that much. However, let me add that after the most recent update, the heating up got a bit better (though not fixed).

It's basically like the game is just a heat generator, where even just chilling in the main menu turns it into a stove, and I really don't understand.

But it has gotten better since the update, thankfully.

Is it just an issue that my PC is having with the Unity engine? The update on browser that switched flash to unity is now causing overheating where the flash version didn't.
Definitely not a newbie
Zayex
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Steam Bug Reports