Appealing a gamethrowing ban

Were you banned? Have it appealed here.

Appealing a gamethrowing ban

Postby foggyartsit3 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm

Hey,
I'm here to appeal an invalid guilty report against me.
I was reported for gamethrowing because I outed myself as a blackmailer in order to reveal a coven member to the town. Gamethrowing, being the intentional act of harming your team's chances of winning simply doesn't apply here. I made an act with intent, yes. but the intention wasn't to harm my teams chances of winning. In jail I stated "we were so fucked and I just wanted a piece of action here. like I get that u might not be happy with my suicide but. like god damn" (quick note this was a message sent immediately after the day ended and was meant to be read by my teammate rather than jailor). prior to my execution i made it very clear that one (1): I believed the mafia was in a bad position and was unlikely to win, and two (2): that despite the negative position I undoubtedly intended to continue to exert my influence over the game(in favor of the mafia). wanting a piece of the action isn't an admission of guilt and I meant it more or less as my intention to squeeze every bit of value out of my position before my likely end (this was meant as a justification of my actions immediately after, I believed my death was approaching prior to outing myself). looking also to the contents of the whispers sent by the coven member "i am cov, hopefully no BMer". from this it appeared to me that their exact role wasn't considered important information to pass onto an ally of theirs, if the coven were small then it seemed like the specifics of their organization would be vital information to pass on to their "GA" this lead me to the inaccurate conclusion that the coven was both large and assumed to win.
multiple times in dead chat I made it clear that at the time I believed that sacrificing myself to ensure the death of a coven member was a good decision. Sure, we lost but with two mafia in that situation our loss was quite likely and not indicative of a substantial negative effect as a result of my choices. I knew there was a jailor and there was a chance I would be executed following my reveal, I knew that coven are unlikely to whisper to each other or have substantial information that they alone can pass on to the town. What I didn't know was how many coven members (or other assorted evils) there were, or my mafia's chances of surviving enemy killers. it's very apparent given only what I said and did that I wholeheartedly believed the best use of my life was spending it on the immediate elimination of a coven member and preventing my mafioso from being jailed again

Sorry for making what I gather most would consider a bad play, but I was invested, exhibited no malice, and made the best decision I could given the information that was available to me and I stand by it 100%
thank you for reading through my report and I hope that when this if this is reviewed i will either be unbanned or convinced of an alternate point of view,
Chai
foggyartsit3
Survivor
Survivor

Re: Appealing a gamethrowing ban

Postby TrialBot » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Want your guilty reports without submitting an appeal? Send me a PM!
Want all your reports filed against you? Put "All" in the body of the message.

TrialBot by iggyvolz.
TrialBot
BOT
BOT

Postby Jerme » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 am

Outting yourself as evil when the majority is against you is considered gamethrowing. You could have gone better ways to get those lynched, for example by claiming Sheriff.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby foggyartsit3 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:28 am

Gamethrowing still requires intent though, If nothing else I've shown through in game quotations and elaborated reasoning that my intentions couldn't be seen as active sabotage.
Jerme wrote:Outting yourself as evil when the majority is against you is considered gamethrowing.
There can't be blanket statements pertaining to actions in game that would immediately prove my intent, trading my life felt like a good thing to do for my team I showed that at the very least I believed that. The idea that "trading your life out is always ineffective" isn't widespread enough that it can't seriously be reasoned that I must have intended to hurt my team's chances of winning.

Jerme wrote:You could have gone better ways to get those lynched, for example by claiming Sheriff.

I had no information that would lend any credibility to my accusations, all I knew was that they were coven, not even their role. a sheriff accusation, being the weakest of all TI accusations due to it's lacking specificity and "he said she said" lack of corroboration, is more than unlikely to hang a competent player in one day. any TP/med/ret claim in addition to a "shut up exe" and they have another day without pause. Mafia was running out of time, I felt the noose around my neck and I made the one play that I could be sure would get the coven member killed before they could attack my mafioso (not to mention I got my mafioso out of jail). I'd be happy to debate just how effective that trade was in lengthening /shortening the life of the mafia but as it stands I had absolutely no intention of harming the mafia's chance of winning and didn't gamethrow.
much thanks,
living your best life despite knowing that your life couldn't have unfolded any other way is the most effective condemnation of the nature of reality. Done by complying with it in its entirety. Be your best self, you don't have a choice either way.
~A rather optimistic determinist
foggyartsit3
Survivor
Survivor

Postby foggyartsit3 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:11 pm

I'm simply arguing that what I did was the quickest and most likely way to get a coven member killed. sure a sheriff claim could've put pressure on them (until they killed me and made the fake claim completely useless) but outing myself got them killed that same day and got my mafioso out of the jailor's cell. I'm just looking to have this revisited, the idea of spending the rest of my life without Town of Salem sounds simply unbearable.
Regards,
living your best life despite knowing that your life couldn't have unfolded any other way is the most effective condemnation of the nature of reality. Done by complying with it in its entirety. Be your best self, you don't have a choice either way.
foggyartsit3
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Jerme » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 am

Greetings,

you could have used better strategies to get the Coven killed without outting yourself, as the latter is seen as throwing. Besides that, are you allowed to return using a new account in general.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby foggyartsit3 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 am

I understand that they were other methods for hanging a suspected coven member, that's inarguable. What I'm getting at is that from my perspective there were benefits to my play even though what I did is to be seen as gamethrowing by jurors. Sure, I can't argue for the effectiveness of my play against every possible push given my information but no one else can argue against it either. The idea that "no matter the circumstances trading your life will always result in a worse position for your team and a reasonable, benevolent player will recognize this and avoid that situation" is an extremely reductive position to hold. To gamethrow is to intend to harm, requiring proof of both intent and undeniable harm. Neither of which is apparent here. The fact that there was even a single measurable benefit to my position within the game at large (of which I can name 3) completely strips credibility away from the idea that a reasonable, benevolent person (one who who would never intend to harm nor accidentally harm their own chance at victory) would never make a similar play. if the perfect player might (under an extremely specific set of circumstances) EVER choose to out themselves for the benefit of their team denying an appeal under the assumption of guilt is preposterous.

I show no malicious intent and do not make a play with absolutely 0 benefits, that alone should be enough to disprove a gamethrowing report. the additional hurdle that outing oneself is always gamethrowing and therefore always intentional and undeniably harmful should not stand in the way of my appeal. The generalization doesn't always fit. The generalization doesn't fit here.
Regards,
foggyartsit3
Survivor
Survivor

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:46 pm

I'm going to turn this into an Exception and grant the appeal, however note that an Exception is still Guilty; you still broke the rules, just this was actually more of a borderline case, a terrible case to actually Guilty on. Not worth losing your account over.

Appeal approved.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Appeals