Appealing: ChineseGandalf

Were you banned? Have it appealed here.

Appealing: ChineseGandalf

Postby ChineseGandalf » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Hello,

I am writing to respectfully request that my ban be lifted. I was banned on January 13th for 'hate speech/harassment' for my conduct in a game. I believe that I was issued a permanent ban because of a prior ban that I have had (that was graciously lifted after an appeal).

In this case, I, along with many other players, had "nipple" themed names. While this was immature (and may or may not be funny), I don't believe my conduct was hateful or harassing. While some obscene messages were posted by other players in that game with the same theme, I did not post any obscene, hateful, or harassing posts. The closest I believe I came to harassment was arguing with one of the other players in dead chat at the end of the game and telling him that I would report him and guilty him if I saw his report in the trial system. Interestingly, I was reported in the same game for having an innapropriate username, and that report was deemed innocent.

I have played this game for long time, and have (I believe) nearly a thousand games played. About 4 years ago, I was banned for using some admittedly innapropriate and incredibly immature racist words. I was initially issued a ban which was then lifted after my appeal. Since that point, I have changed my behavior in game and have not committed any similar infractions. While I admit that the name theme and chat was probably immature (although I still think it was funny), I do not believe I harassed or used any sort of hate speech against anyone. I also did not use any obscene or offensive language.

Because I do not believe I broke the rules concerning harassment and hate speech, I believe I should not have been issued a permanent ban here. I realize that my prior actions, four years ago, place me on thin ice with regards to subsequent reports. However, I believe that my conduct over games subsequent to that previous ban show that I am a serious player and positive member of the TOS community.

As such, I respectfully request that the moderators revisit this ban and reconsider the decision to issue me a permanent ban. I appreciate your time consdering this and I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
-Chinese Gandalf
ChineseGandalf
Civilian
Civilian

Re: Appealing: ChineseGandalf

Postby TrialBot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Want your guilty reports without submitting an appeal? Send me a PM!
Want all your reports filed against you? Put "All" in the body of the message.

TrialBot by iggyvolz.
TrialBot
BOT
BOT

Postby Hiway202 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Hello,

You were suspended for lynching people for not following a name theme which can be considered harassment.
Hello, my name's Elencia! I'm happy to answer questions, so feel free to send me a PM if you need anything! However, I don't have the power to grant your appeal, so please don't PM me about that.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Hiway202
Trial System Judge
Trial System Judge

Postby ChineseGandalf » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:11 pm

Hiway202 wrote:Hello,

You were suspended for lynching people for not following a name theme which can be considered harassment.

Okay, I have not seen that in the rules, but fair enough I guess. I did not lynch anyone based on name, although I do see how it appears that way in chat. In any regard, I would just ask for reconsideration of whether what happened in that game was enough to warrant a permanent ban.

I appreciate the speedy response.
ChineseGandalf
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Hiway202 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 pm

Reports work on a tiered system, so your first guilty report is a 24 hour suspension, your second is a 72 hour suspension, your third is a 7 day suspension, and your fourth is permanent.

You only have 3 reports listed here, so I'd guess you received a suspension at one point by the automatic chat filter, however I do not have the power to check that so you'll have to wait for an admin to respond. Also keep in mind that your other 2 reports are archived and not able to be appealed. More information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8913#p3542650

I don't have the power to accept or deny appeals, I can only provide more information on why reports are guilty, so unfortunately you will have to wait for an admin to reply.
Hello, my name's Elencia! I'm happy to answer questions, so feel free to send me a PM if you need anything! However, I don't have the power to grant your appeal, so please don't PM me about that.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Hiway202
Trial System Judge
Trial System Judge

Postby ChineseGandalf » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:22 am

Hiway202 wrote:Reports work on a tiered system, so your first guilty report is a 24 hour suspension, your second is a 72 hour suspension, your third is a 7 day suspension, and your fourth is permanent.

You only have 3 reports listed here, so I'd guess you received a suspension at one point by the automatic chat filter, however I do not have the power to check that so you'll have to wait for an admin to respond. Also keep in mind that your other 2 reports are archived and not able to be appealed. More information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8913#p3542650

I don't have the power to accept or deny appeals, I can only provide more information on why reports are guilty, so unfortunately you will have to wait for an admin to reply.

Understood, thank you for your help. I look forward to admin response.
ChineseGandalf
Civilian
Civilian

Postby ChineseGandalf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:31 pm

Good afternoon. I am bumping my post because I have not received an admin response yet to my appeal.

Thank you again for your consideration.
ChineseGandalf
Civilian
Civilian

Postby ChineseGandalf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Hello, I have still not heard back concerning my appeal. I am hoping to receive an admin response at your convenience.

Please let me know if there is another method I should use to appeal this. I have not pm'ed an admin directly yet, as I'm not sure if that is allowed.
ChineseGandalf
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Jerme » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:07 pm

The admin responses may take a while and each time you respond you are pushed back in the queue.
But please note that only invalid reports may be appealed.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:19 pm

I can confirm you were permanently banned correctly as you have a fourth strike from the filter back when it suspended players for triggering it too many times. Normally I would revoke these strikes since it no longer does it on those that were considered a 'one-off' issue, however your report history shows that this wasn't a one-time instance, and that you've used language to trigger the filter plenty of times, as such I'll be keeping that strike on the account.

In regards to your most recent report, Hiway was correct when stating you were suspended for lynching people for not following a theme. This can also be counted as gamethrowing, as you're intentionally hurting your team's chances of winning because you're lynching them based off not following the theme, even if they are your teammates. (This isn't necessarily the example for your report here, just an example.)

All reports are valid and valid bans cannot be appealed. You're free to return on a new account if you wish to do so.

Appeal Denied.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Appeals