Appealing: ShiningSeraph

Were you banned? Have it appealed here.

Appealing: ShiningSeraph

Postby ShiningSeraph » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:46 pm

Hello, Staff of Town of Salem:

I am appealing the most recent report that I received, which was for Spamming. I went ahead and looked at the game that I was deemed guilty for, and I feel that I did not break the rules of Spamming. Perhaps I might have annoyed the other users, and in that regard, may have stretched the rules a little bit, but I have not strictly broken the rules for Spamming. If I recall, the rules on that are either 5x of the same message in a single phase, OR 15x of the same message throughout the entire game. I checked all of the messages I've sent, and I haven't said any single message of its type more than twice.

To further strengthen my case, every other time I've roleplayed as the character that I did was deemed innocent, and that happened at least 4 times. I've done this particular roleplay well over 50 games, and it's never truly been a problem, which is why I feel that the latest Spamming report is invalid. I never carry the roleplay in any large degree past the first day/night cycle, and I always try to win, no matter the circumstances.

If you believe that this roleplay is inappropriate, I can understand, and I will not perform it again; however, I feel certain that this should not be considered Spamming. Maybe it might be construed that way, due to how quickly I type, but there isn't a rule on the number of messages you can send in a day, just the type, which as I've mentioned earlier, was only at most twice of any individual type of message.

I have been playing this game for over 6 years, and love and respect this game a great deal, and only wish to be a good (and perhaps interesting and eccentric) player of the game. I would never break the rules of the game, and I feel that this shouldn't be considered a rule-break, given that the same roleplaying was deemed innocent every time until now, and it doesn't meet the defined criteria for Spamming. Please consider my argument, and if I am given another chance, I won't roleplay as this particular character, if that is what you wish.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
ShiningSeraph
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Appealing: ShiningSeraph

Postby TrialBot » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:50 pm

Want your guilty reports without submitting an appeal? Send me a PM!
Want all your reports filed against you? Put "All" in the body of the message.

TrialBot by iggyvolz.
TrialBot
BOT
BOT

Postby Jerme » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:20 am

Greetings,

please note that roleplaying is allowed as long as its within the game's rules. We do define "disrupting the chat" as spamming which may be the reason why your latest report was given a guilty verdict. In my opinion was this offense rather mild, though.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ShiningSeraph » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:46 pm

Hello Jerme, thank you very much for the input!

I see, so that's another definition of Spamming. In that case, allow me another attempt to make a case for myself:

The way I see it, there are only two moments in the game when I spoke at any great length. Those two moments are: 1) During the time-frame that consists of the Lobby, Name Selection, and Day 1; 2) During Day 3. For the first moment, it was across three different phases, the first two of which don't exactly matter very much in terms of gameplay (Lobby and Name Selection), since any conversation during these phases serve mostly for banter, as we haven't even gotten our roles by this point, nor can said roles be reliably predicted. By Day 1, the only phase that remotely matters for gameplay, as it is the very beginning of the game, I only sent 3 messages, and never referenced my roleplaying again, since I knew that beyond Day 1, the game really needed to be played, and I wasn't going to let the roleplay interrupt the actual game. Additionally, there wasn't exactly much chatting going on during the Lobby and Name Selection screen, and I feel that the roleplaying messages I sent during this time was just to make things fun and interesting, not so much to disrupt the very little chatting that did go on. Sure, maybe the messages were a little bit on the comically annoying side, but it was the heart of the character I was roleplaying, and I don't feel it disrupted the gameplay or any chat related to the game, since the majority of it was during the phases when roles weren't even given yet (i.e. the game hasn't even started yet), and chat was mostly for lighthearted banter!

As for Day 3, well... my life was being threatened! The Jailor knew that I lied about being Vet, since the Vet killed our Blackmailer while I was jailed, so naturally, they called for my hanging. Now, of course, by this time, our Framer had already thrown the game, which was confirmed by the deaths of the Mafioso and Blackmailer during the same night I was jailed (Night 2) to the Bodyguard and Veteran, respectively; however, I still wanted to try to salvage the game to the best of my ability. There wasn't much I could do, since I was the last mafia alive, and the Jailor knew I lied, so I did the only thing I could do: claim a similar role to what I already did. Now, of course, I misspoke and said I was Vet, so I had to rapidly come up with an excuse, and it was the best I could come up with. Maybe it was quite a few messages for a single day, but when my life was at stake, can you really blame me for trying my hardest to convince town as best as I could through a series of quick messages? I can type upwards of 80 words a minute, but I needed to hit enter more times than normal, since typing longer and fewer messages meant that there was less time for town to read them and be convinced. Of course, none of that really mattered, since the Framer's gamethrow was all but confirmed, but I wanted to go down fighting valiantly. If that could be considered disrupting the chat, then I sincerely apologize, as it was something I hastily did to try to salvage the game. But I hope you do not consider it so, especially since every message I've sent in the game doesn't have more than 2 of its kind, so it shows that I tried different angles to save myself while on the stand in this particularly desperate situation, even if my doom was inevitable.

I genuinely don't feel that what I did was particularly disruptive to the chat to any great degree, and I hope that everyone understands where I am coming from. Thank you all very much again for your time and consideration.
ShiningSeraph
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Jerme » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:14 am

I do agree that this is not really to be considered spamming in that regard as well, so I'd be not against having the report overturned, yet the final decision is not mine.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TurdPile » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:07 am

Appeal granted.
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Return to Appeals