Do you think that taunts should be considered metagaming?

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

Do you think that taunts should be considered metagaming?

Postby Denuran » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:23 am

So I just played agame I was maf and the dead sheriff taunted me and I was obviously hanged.. the mafioso got angry and said that what the dead sheriff did was considered "metagaming" tos didn't invent taunt for those purposes so I just wanted to know if it was actually metagaming
Have you seen any other ninja?
Denuran
Lookout
Lookout

Re: Do you think that taunts should be considered metagaming

Postby Jerme » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Please be aware that the term "metagaming" is not rulebreaking, cheating would be. So it doesn't matter if taunts are metagaming or not. Since the dead are allowed to taunt, its not rulebreaking.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby itaicool » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:55 am

Jerme wrote:Please be aware that the term "metagaming" is not rulebreaking, cheating would be. So it doesn't matter if taunts are metagaming or not. Since the dead are allowed to taunt, its not rulebreaking.

I don't think dead should be allowed to taunt for that reason.
itaicool
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Yemac » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:41 am

Metagaming might not be considered cheating, but it should be*. Using taunts is a shady and scummy pay to win tactic that 90% of the community doesn't condone. Yes, you can get taunts using the cauldron, but that shouldn't be considered a viable source of gaining these in my opinion. Furthermore, I agree that you can counter this strategy by taunting someone yourself (as maf for example). This however, doesn't take into consideration that it's actively stretching/breaking a game's features to alter gameplay, thus it shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. Taunting should therefore be, in my opinion, only be usable by the living. The dead can still see the taunt, but they cannot use taunts themselves.

*I'm assuming you mean 'cheating' in your headline instead of 'metagaming'. It is metagaming, but it is 'allowed'.
Yemac
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Denuran » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:49 am

Jerme wrote:Please be aware that the term "metagaming" is not rulebreaking, cheating would be. So it doesn't matter if taunts are metagaming or not. Since the dead are allowed to taunt, its not rulebreaking.

Still I think that at least when dead you shouldn't be allowed to taunt.
Have you seen any other ninja?
Denuran
Lookout
Lookout

Postby MoustachioMario » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Denuran wrote:

Still I think that at least when dead you shouldn't be allowed to taunt.

Dead players should be able to taunt

It's just if a dead player taunts someone only other dead players see the taunt.

If a alive player taunts someone then everyone sees the taunt :D
Games Won
Spoiler:
SFM63
The Godfather
[Survived]

Games Lost
Spoiler:
NFMNFM3
The Consigliere
[Lynched Day Four]
MoustachioMario