FAQs - Read First

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

FAQs - Read First

Postby ValeforRaine » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Welcome to the new and improved FAQs! Should you not see your question, please search "Ask Questions" and any other applicable subboards before making your own thread. Additionally, should you notice something incorrect or think something should be added, send me a PM and I'll take a look (this goes for anything linked here, as well).

Game Questions

Where do I play the game?
You play it here! If there's something to test, you can also sign in to the Public Test Realm to try out the new features.

How do I play?
This thread has a lot of info for new players. You can also find an overview in the spoiler below.
Spoiler: Check out our video tutorial for a quick and easy walkthrough of a full game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4bpFr8oBpo

The game ranges from 7 to 15 players. These players are randomly divided into alignments - Town, Mafia, Serial Killers, Arsonists and Neutrals. If you are a Town member (the good guys) you must track down the Mafia and other villains before they kill you. The catch? You don't know who is a Town member and who is a villain.

If you are an evil role, such as a Serial Killer, you secretly murder town members in the veil of night and try to avoid getting caught.

Roles

Town of Salem has 30 unique roles ensuring a different experience each time you play.

Before a game starts, players are put into a lobby where the host can select what roles will be in the game. Players are then assigned roles at random from the list of chosen roles. Players have an in-game role card that explains their role's abilities and alignments. For an in-depth look at the abilities of each role please visit this thread.

Game Phases

Night
The night phase is when most roles use their abilities. For example, Serial Killers stealthily murder people, Doctors heal people who are attacked, and Sheriffs interrogate people for suspicious activity.

Day
The day phase allows the Town members to discuss who they suspect of being an evil role. Once the voting phase starts a majority vote from the town will put someone on trial.

Defense
The defense phase is when you plead your innocence to the town. Have a convincing story or find yourself facing the gallows!

Judgement
During this phase the town will vote on the fate of the defendant. Players can vote guilty, innocent or abstain. If there are more guilty votes than innocent votes the defendant is sentenced to death by hanging!

Where can I find the game rules and Code of Conduct?
The game rules are located in the Terms of Use, Section V. They're also located in the spoiler below. Spoiler:
Terms of Use wrote:A. Impersonating any person, business, or entity, including an employee of BlankMediaGames, or communicating in any way that makes it appear that the communication originates from BlankMediaGames;

B. Posting identifying information about yourself, or any other user, to the Site or within the Game;

C. Harassing, stalking, or threatening any other users in the Game;

D. Removing, altering or concealing any copyright, trademark, patent or other proprietary rights notices of BlankMediaGames contained in the Site, the Game and/or the Software. You also may not transmit content that violates or infringes the rights of others, including without limitation, patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, publicity, personal rights or other proprietary or nonproprietary rights;

E. Transmitting or communicating any content which, in the sole and exclusive discretion of BlankMediaGames, is deemed offensive, including, but not limited to, language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable;

F. Transmitting or facilitating the transmission of any content that contains a virus, corrupted data, trojan horse, bot keystroke logger, worm, time bomb, cancelbot or other computer programming routines that are intended to and/or actually damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or mine, scrape or expropriate any system, data or personal information;

G. Spamming chat, whether for personal or commercial purposes, by disrupting the flow of conversation with repeated postings of a similar nature;

H. Participating in any action which, in the sole and exclusive judgment of BlankMediaGames,"exploits" an undocumented aspect of the Game in order to secure an unfair advantage over other users;

I. Participating in any action which, in the sole and exclusive judgment of BlankMediaGames, defrauds any other user of the Game, including, but not limited to, by "scamming" or "social engineering;”

J. Using any unauthorized third party programs, including but not limited to "mods," "hacks," "cheats," "scripts," "bots," "trainers," and automation programs, that interact with the Software in any way, for any purpose, including, without limitation, any unauthorized third party programs that intercept, emulate, or redirect any communication between the Software and BlankMediaGames and any unauthorized third party programs that collect information about the Game by reading areas of memory used by the Software to store information;

K. Accessing or attempting to access areas of the Game or Game servers that have not been made available to the public;

L. Selecting an Account name that is falsely indicative of an association with BlankMediaGames, contains personally identifying information, infringes on the proprietary or non-proprietary rights of third parties, or that is offensive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable. You may not use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent this restriction on Account name choices. BlankMediaGames may modify any name which, in the sole and exclusive judgment of BlankMediaGames, violates this provision without further notification to you, and may take further disciplinary measures, including Account termination, for repeated violations; or

M. Logging out or exiting the Game during live game-play.

What does (insert role here) do?
You can check out the full list of roles and what they do here.

I have been seeing some acronyms thrown around, what do they mean?
A comprehensive list of terminology can be found here.

When will (insert feature here) be added?
There is currently no ETA for any of the features. They'll get here when they get here. It appears Ranked Mode will be coming out next, though!

How does the stalemate detector work?
The stalemate detector is supposed to help prevent draws and usually kicks in with two roles remaining. The basic order is:
Werewolf (next night is a full moon) > Arsonist > Serial Killer > Mafia > Town > Werewolf (next night is not a full moon) > Witch
There are some complexities dealing with Transporters, Godfather vs Mafioso, Witch, and Town Killing roles. A full description can be found here.

How do I remove someone from my friends list?
Right-click on the name and the option to remove them should appear.

How do I turn off the chat filter?
When on the main screen or in lobby, you can find the option in your settings.

Do certain names give you certain roles?
No. If you seem to always get certain roles with certain names, it's just luck. The roles are randomized every time.

How do you become the lobby host or make a lobby?
Currently, the only way to become host is to be the first into the lobby or get repicked as the new host. Currently, there is no way to make a lobby.

How do you have a private game with just your friends?
Currently, you can't unless you get lucky and can start the game before anyone else joins the lobby.

If I play the Steam/Mobile/Browser version of the game, am I only playing with others on the same version?
No, the servers are shared between all versions.

How do I ignite my doused targets as an arsonist?
Targeting yourself will ignite them.

What happens if I target myself as the Werewolf?
You will stay at home and attack anyone who visits your own house.

Chat Command Questions

How do I whisper someone?
Type /help in chat to get a list of all commands you can do.
You can whisper players in the following ways:
/w playerName messsage
You can replace the [/] with a [-]
You can also replace [w] with [pm] or [whisper].
You can also replace [playerName] with [playerNumber] (the number next to their name in the role list).

Can I ignore people?
Yes! It is only temporary and is reset each game. You can also unignore people. Type:
/ignore playerName
/unignore playerName
You can also replace [playerName] with [playerNumber] (the number next to their name in the role list).
Note that ignore does not include whispers and anonymous chats (jailor, medium, etc).

My lobby host is AFK, can we repick the host?
Yes! After a certain number of votes the host can be repicked (as long as there are at least 7 players in the lobby). Type:
/repick

Account Questions

Will I need to make a new account to play the Steam/mobile/etc version?
No, your account will go with you regardless of which version you play on. Steam achievements currently aren't synced with the in-game achievements, but this will be fixed in a future patch.

I made an account for the forums and use a Facebook account in-game. Now that I have chosen a new account name for my Facebook account, can I merge it with my forum account?
At this time, no. There may be a feature to link accounts in the future, however.

How do I connect my Facebook account to Steam?
First, log into the game using Facebook via your internet browser. It should prompt you to choose a username and password. Now, when you use the Steam version, you can use those details to log in.

I signed in on Steam, but my coins didn't show up. What do I do?
It takes time for the two accounts to sync. It's been recommended you try 1) logging out then back in and 2) playing a game or two. If neither of these works, feel free to post your issue in the Steam Bug Reports subboard.

Can I change my username?
Currently, no. There will be a feature for this in the future, though.

How do I change my password. What do I do if I forgot my password?
If you want to change your password, go here. If you forgot your password, you need access to the email address associated with your account and to go here.

How do I change the email address associated with my account?
Go here to change your email address.

Can I delete my account?
Send an email to info@blankmediagames.com using the email you used to register your account. The account will be deleted within a few weeks.

I was banned. How do I appeal it?
First, read this thread. You can then make a thread here to appeal your ban.

Bug and Report Questions

I'm having problems accessing the game (for instance, it won't load). What should I try?
Arckas' thread details the steps you should take.

I found a bug in-game. What do I do?
Read this thread. Also make sure you get a screen shot of the bug before reporting here.

I want to report someone. Can I do that here?
If you reported in game or only have screen shots from in the game, it's unnecessary. If you found someone doing something in the lobby, make sure to read this thread before reporting them here.

I reported someone in game. What happens now?
A full log of the game (including last wills, death notes, lobby chat, and the name choosing phase) is sent to the devs. They handle everything from there.

A false report was filed against me. Will I get in trouble?
If you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear. The devs will be able to see everything that happened throughout the game.

Questions About What is Reportable

Is lying about cheating a valid strategy?
I would say no. If you admit to cheating in game and are reported, the devs have to take you at your word and will likely ban you.

What is considered gamethrowing?
Anything that goes against a role's win condition. This includes mafia members outing one another, jailors/vigilantes intentionally killing a revealed mayor, and many other scenarios.

Can I report a jester for spamming?
All spamming is reportable regardless of role. Jesters are not special.

Is being afk reportable?
Not currently, as it is impossible to determine if someone is actually afk or pretending to be as a strategy.

How do I leave the game and is it against the rules?
Currently you have to refresh your browser to leave a game. In steam, you must close the window. It is against the Code of Conduct, but is generally acceptable if you have died and are completely unable to win.

Is it against the rules to kill a known survivor?
It can be considered gamethrowing only if those killing/lynching the survivor will lose because of it. Otherwise, while not nice, they are under no obligation to let the survivor win. This goes for all neutral roles who win with more than one side.

Forum Specific Questions

Why do some people have colored names?
The Administrators. PyromonkeyGG and Achilles are the devs of Town of Salem (Blake and Josh, respectively). TurdPile is the admin of the forums, and shapesifter13 is our new community manager who will manage the social aspects of BMG.
The Global Moderators. We're here to help TurdPile manage the forum and enforce forum rules, as well as the game's rules in-game.
The FM Moderators. They moderate the Forum Mafia section of the boards and run games there.
FM Episode Winners. The most recent winners of an FM episode game.
Kickstarter Backers. Those who backed the most recent kickstarter got a fancy color as one of their rewards.
Facebook Users. Users who signed in through facebook and were asked to pick a username.

Can I become a (insert role here)?
Short answer: no. Long answer: Global Moderators are chosen by Turdpile (with influence from the current gmods) and FM Moderators are chosen through an application process. Please do not ask to become a moderator.

What are spiders/bots?
The bots index the forums for search engines. Spiders do the same (just with a different name).

What are the forum ranks? Can I choose which I have by default?
The ranks are listed here. They go up with your post count, so you can't choose which one is displayed by default.

Miscellaneous

Can I help translate the game into another language?
No. BlankMediaGames plans to hire translators for this.

What is the official font used in the Town of Salem title?
Blackwood Castle.
Sing something new, I have nothing left,
I can't face the dark without
you.
There's nothing left to lose, the fight never ends,
I can't face the dark without
you.

Holding the hand that holds me down.
I forgive you, forget you,
the end.
ValeforRaine
Mafioso