ToS Historians Needed

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

ToS Historians Needed

Postby Superalex11 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:51 am

Doing some analyses and I need a list of all past role-lists along with the date ranges they were active.
From the wiki and patch notes I've compiled the following so far:

I'm trying to be as specific as possible, so literally any information would be helpful, even if to confirm what I already have. In particular though, I'm looking to verify a few points:
1) That I'm not missing any modes/role-lists (even temporary ones, like the 3-day ranked list this pre-season)
2) That the dates I have are as exact as possible (e.g. while the most recent ranked list update was posted on 2020-11-09, the actual date of the patch may have been later)
3) That some of the obscure role-lists are correct (e.g. the mid-2017 ranked practice list, found in wiki edit history)
4) That the orders the roles appear in are exact (e.g. sheriff before doctor in classic) - this is important because of matches starting with partially-filled lobbies, so for modes where starting with less than 15 has never been possible, this won't matter

The biggest hurdle for me in putting this together myself is that there really don't seem to be any true sources of information out in the open, as older patch notes don't provide the role-lists themselves, or otherwise don't even exist (where is 1.4.2??), so I've mostly relied on the correctness of wiki editors.

All help is appreciated :)
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: ToS Historians Needed

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:25 am

The test Ranked/RP list with 5 Mafia is missing

11/09/2020 - 11/17/2020

Jailor
Town (Investigative)
Town (Investigative)
Town (Protective)
Town (Killing)
Town (Support)
Random Town
Random Town
Random Town
Godfather
Mafioso
Random Mafia
Random Mafia
Random Mafia
Neutral (Evil)

The start date for the current Ranked list also seems to be wrong

That's all that comes to mind so far
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Superalex11 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:18 pm

Alright, I've updated my list from that, thanks.

Now as an addendum to my OP I'd like to add a few more specific questions:
- During which periods of time could 5 mafia spawn in AA/CAA? Could Coven ever have 5?
- When was the option to start with less than 15 players in lobby removed? And for which modes?
- Have role alignments ever changed? And what's the deal with RC vs CE?
Last edited by Superalex11 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:23 pm

Superalex11 wrote:And what's the deal with NC vs CE?

CE - Coven (Evil). The only Coven subalignment, although I think there might've been a Coven (Support) alignment at one point with just PM in it. Don't quote me on that last part tho
NC - Neutral (Chaos). Currently used as a catch-all for Neutral roles that don't fit elsewhere, currently contains Vamp, Pirate, and PB/Pest.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Superalex11 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:50 pm

Oh that was a typo, I meant RC vs CE.
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 pm

Superalex11 wrote:Oh that was a typo, I meant RC vs CE.

There's no difference since there's only 1 Coven subalignment

If there were more subalignments then RC would be the Coven version of RM but there aren't so a RC slot is functionally the same as a CE slot

I don't think there's a way to even add a CE slot to a custom game tho
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Superalex11 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:37 am

Update: I've done some report scouring and I've found something strange.
For the most part, the list I have above is essentially complete. However, between April 20, 2016 and November 20, 2016 I've found 84 reports marked as ranked games (also confirmed by player messages) which do not fit into any of the lists provided. Further, the role-lists in these matches don't line up much with each other.

(Note, these do account for amne/vamp conversions)
Here's a breakdown:
So for example, 14 of the 84 matches had 10 town, 2 maf, 1 amne, 1 NK, and 1 NE.

Worse yet is that the only thing I can even point to which seems related is patch 1.5.9.4557 coming on November 21, 2016, the day immediately after this range. But there's no mention of anything to do with role lists, or ranked at all. And there isn't anything similar for the beginning. I'm stumped.

Edit: if at all useful, the distribution of these matches over the time period is as follows:
April - 3
May - 14
June - 12
July - 20
August - 11
September - 12
October - 8
November - 4
And as far as I can tell there's no pattern between the months (e.g. the 10-2-1-1-1 lists don't all clump into June).

Edit 2: Looking at total matches in this time period, it follows the same rise-fall pattern approximately proportionally, so that's likely the reason.
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Superalex11 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:52 pm

Hagg1s wrote:
Superalex11 wrote:Update: I've done some report scouring and I've found something strange.
For the most part, the list I have above is essentially complete. However, between April 20, 2016 and November 20, 2016 I've found 84 reports marked as ranked games (also confirmed by player messages) which do not fit into any of the lists provided. Further, the role-lists in these matches don't line up much with each other.

These were ranked custom games, I played in all of them

Is this real
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Return to Ask Questions