Is claiming your own role gamethrowing?

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

Is claiming your own role gamethrowing?

Postby Yobamba69 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Is claiming your own role (i.e. claiming SK or Coven Leader), actually gamethrowing?
I did get reported for this before, despite lasting D5+ and taking out many of the other Neutral Killing or Mafia roles.

I did not reveal any of my other faction members' roles.

Please let me know if it is or is not. Personally I will stay away from doing it until I get a confirmed response on this.
Yobamba69

Re: Is claiming your own role gamethrowing?

Postby dolphina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 am

Yobamba69 wrote:Is claiming your own role (i.e. claiming SK or Coven Leader), actually gamethrowing?
I did get reported for this before, despite lasting D5+ and taking out many of the other Neutral Killing or Mafia roles.

I did not reveal any of my other faction members' roles.

Please let me know if it is or is not. Personally I will stay away from doing it until I get a confirmed response on this.

ask yourself if that claiming your actual role as evil is detrimental to your chances of winning. i’d say claiming your actual role as evil is a case by case basis, so it depends.

not an expert on the whole trial system, though, so probably wait for a response from someone more experienced
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Flavorable » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:11 am

Outting yourself as evil is generally only ever allowed in situations where doing so ensures you the win.

Example:

Out of nowhere for no reason at all, you start claiming SK when you're SK (even as a reverse psychology or "maybe they think I'm jester"-play: Not allowed.
You find an evil as consig and you go "I'm consig, so and so is this or that evil role": Not allowed.

An Exe that has already won says "Hey, who's SK? I'll vote with you" in a maf/town vs SK (1v1 + Exe) situation and you say "I'm the SK!" = Allowed.

The rule of thumb that is generally upheld is: If it's the only thing you can do to win, it's fine. If you're doing it and it actually hurts your (faction's) chances of winning (like the consig example where you could have claimed anything else to try to get the other evil lynched), it's generally not allowed.

Disclaimer: Reports are handled on a case by case basis, so I always advise to err on the side of caution.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:34 am

Flavorable wrote:Outting yourself as evil is generally only ever allowed in situations where doing so ensures you the win.

Example:

Out of nowhere for no reason at all, you start claiming SK when you're SK (even as a reverse psychology or "maybe they think I'm jester"-play: Not allowed.
You find an evil as consig and you go "I'm consig, so and so is this or that evil role": Not allowed.

An Exe that has already won says "Hey, who's SK? I'll vote with you" in a maf/town vs SK (1v1 + Exe) situation and you say "I'm the SK!" = Allowed.

The rule of thumb that is generally upheld is: If it's the only thing you can do to win, it's fine. If you're doing it and it actually hurts your (faction's) chances of winning (like the consig example where you could have claimed anything else to try to get the other evil lynched), it's generally not allowed.

Disclaimer: Reports are handled on a case by case basis, so I always advise to err on the side of caution.

So Jesting by claiming an evil role is illegal? What if you are about to be lynched because you did something super scummy and you believe the best way to stay alive is to make people think you are a Jester? I get why randomly saying your are an SK is gamethrowing, but Jesting seems like a viable strategy to me in certain situations. I've seen Vampires act like Jesters (which can involve claiming an evil role) since it fits with the Investigator results and it often works.

I see why the Consig thing is bad unless scum has majority. Even in those situations, it's possible that a hidden Veteran or something causes Mafia to lose so it's still not guaranteed. Also, on the Executioner wiki page it describes strategies that involve claiming Consig, Witch, or Godfather and claiming that someone else is a higher-priority target. Is this considered gamethrowing? I've never tried it but I can see it working in certain All Any situations.

What about in situations with a Pestilence? Are the rules about outing yourself as evil more relaxed?
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Yobamba69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:22 am

Flavorable wrote:Outting yourself as evil is generally only ever allowed in situations where doing so ensures you the win.

Example:

Thanks for the clarification! This helps me understand things a bit better. Also per say if I was an arsonist/SK, and from Day 1 I start claiming arsonist/SK and town learns to ignore me, is that also gamethrowing? Even if it's a strategy?
Yobamba69

Postby dolphina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:05 pm

alex1234321 wrote:

Example:

So Jesting by claiming an evil role is illegal? What if you are about to be lynched because you did something super scummy and you believe the best way to stay alive is to make people think you are a Jester? I get why randomly saying your are an SK is gamethrowing, but Jesting seems like a viable strategy to me in certain situations. I've seen Vampires act like Jesters (which can involve claiming an evil role) since it fits with the Investigator results and it often works.

I see why the Consig thing is bad unless scum has majority. Even in those situations, it's possible that a hidden Veteran or something causes Mafia to lose so it's still not guaranteed. Also, on the Executioner wiki page it describes strategies that involve claiming Consig, Witch, or Godfather and claiming that someone else is a higher-priority target. Is this considered gamethrowing? I've never tried it but I can see it working in certain All Any situations.

What about in situations with a Pestilence? Are the rules about outing yourself as evil more relaxed?

This is already handled under the
>“situations where doing so ensures you the win”
besides if you’re jesting maybe don’t claim the actual evil role you are
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Flavorable » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 pm

Like I said (or insinuated) before: There are no black and white answers, sadly, since it highly depends on the specific situation ingame. Say you're a PB that is up on the stand and there's no defending yourself out of it apart from a hail Mary in the form of "I'm more useful to you alive as a PB, since I can't kill yet" to buy yourself a couple more days to maybe try to squeeze a win out of it, I highly doubt any player would report you, let alone a majority of jurors would guilty that report, let alone a Judge would do more than give an "exception" verdict. But again, if it's D5 with you, 3 townies and another evil, that's a winnable play. If you do it D2, then you're at risk for gamethrowing, because at that point there are so many other "outs" you can try first.

I'd always love to give specific answers, and that's generally easy when it comes to basically any other reporting category, but GT is and always will be heavily based on the game itself. Hence my advise to err on the side of caution and don't out yourself unless you absolutely have to in order to try and get a win (i.e. outting yourself as witch in evil majority to get a townie voted off).
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Ask Questions