is being called an ape and autistic considered racist?

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

is being called an ape and autistic considered racist?

Postby Kyosji » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:41 am

Just played a game with a very unfriendly guy. Basically he started constantly calling me an ape and autistic. I told him to stop being racist and he continued. Is this considered racism under BMG rules?
Magic is distilled laziness. Put that on my gravestone.
Kyosji
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: is being called an ape and autistic considered racist?

Postby Flavorable » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:02 am

No, being called an ape can just be that, being called an ape.

At most it could be considered harassment if they continuously harass you throughout the entire game, but those rules are generally reasonably lax.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Flavorable wrote:No, being called an ape can just be that, being called an ape.

At most it could be considered harassment if they continuously harass you throughout the entire game, but those rules are generally reasonably lax.

The Australian government would disagree.

A fan got picked out of a crowd and charged for calling a black football player ''Adam Goodes'' an Ape.

On 24 May 2013, during the AFL's annual Indigenous Round, a 13-year-old Collingwood supporter called Goodes an "ape". Upon hearing the abuse, Goodes pointed the girl out to security, who ejected her from the stadium. After the game, Collingwood president Eddie McGuire apologised to Goodes on behalf of the club.

He refused to press charges tho, it did turn into a media shitstorm for months and led to everyone booing him every time he touched the ball for the next 2 years.

So yea, ''Ape'' is considered a racial slur towards black people.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Brilliand » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:20 pm

kyuss420 wrote:The Australian government would disagree.

A fan got picked out of a crowd and charged for calling a black football player ''Adam Goodes'' an Ape.

On 24 May 2013, during the AFL's annual Indigenous Round, a 13-year-old Collingwood supporter called Goodes an "ape". Upon hearing the abuse, Goodes pointed the girl out to security, who ejected her from the stadium. After the game, Collingwood president Eddie McGuire apologised to Goodes on behalf of the club.

He refused to press charges tho, it did turn into a media shitstorm for months and led to everyone booing him every time he touched the ball for the next 2 years.

None of this says anything about the Australian government. It's just what a particular black person in a position of power demanded from someone less powerful who disrespected him.

As you said, no actual charges were filed, and most of the fans present at games apparently disagreed with his claim.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby TheFluffyWaffleV2 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 pm

kyuss420 wrote:
Flavorable wrote:No, being called an ape can just be that, being called an ape.

The Australian government would disagree.

So yea, ''Ape'' is considered a racial slur towards black people.

“Ape”, while it could be considered a slur for blacks, is also generally used as an insult for someone who is really stupid, like an ape. The cases you bring up cannot be compared to calling someone an ape over a game as in your examples, “Ape” was used as a racial slur. The people who said it meant it as a racial slur as they knew the person they were calling an “Ape” was black, and therefore relating them to monkeys due to the racist stereotype between black people and monkeys. However, calling someone an “Ape” online, unless you somehow know for certain the victim is black, is not racial. You are simply calling them braindead and nothing more.
Retired Goop God
Spoiler:

jumpscare
TheFluffyWaffleV2
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Brilliand wrote:
kyuss420 wrote:The Australian government would disagree.

None of this says anything about the Australian government. It's just what a particular black person in a position of power demanded from someone less powerful who disrespected him.

As you said, no actual charges were filed, and most of the fans present at games apparently disagreed with his claim.

But he could of pressed charges, therefore it is illegal. Its the australian government that makes the laws. Whether most people disagree with a law is a moot point, you can still be charged with something that most people disagree with. Democracy is an illusion of the power of choice. If you think you have choices, you are easier to control. Money is the only thing that gives you choices in this world.
Getting booed was more likely to put him on tilt, as tilted players play badly and if you show youre easy to get on tilt, fans will play on that. (hes not the only player that has been booed every time they get the ball)
The fact he didnt press charges would more than likely be because he'd look like a dick, filing charges against a 13 year old girl, and he looked like a big enough dick by stopping the game until she was removed from the arena
Last edited by kyuss420 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby James2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:48 pm

Brilliand wrote:
kyuss420 wrote:None of this says anything about the Australian government.

Not directly, though from what I've heard offending members of the privileged class is a crime in Australia.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:52 am

James2 wrote:
Brilliand wrote:
kyuss420 wrote:None of this says anything about the Australian government.

Not directly, though from what I've heard offending members of the privileged class is a crime in Australia.

The ones with the money, have the choice on the rules. The only colour the privileged class care about is green.
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Confectionery » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:11 am

It's not. I say it all the time in my games and haven't been banned once for hate speech. Don't listen to the sensitive people who say that it is bannable.
Confectionery
Civilian
Civilian

Postby dolphina » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Confectionery wrote:It's not. I say it all the time in my games and haven't been banned once for hate speech. Don't listen to the sensitive people who say that it is bannable.

Actually, doing this is a bannable offense. If someone asks you to stop because it's insulting and you keep repeating it to them, you can get suspended/banned for hate speech/harassment.
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Return to Ask Questions