[FORUM] How do I block Private Messages from other Users?

Search here before posting your questions

[FORUM] How do I block Private Messages from other Users?

Postby Mroz4k » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello!
Welcome to tutorial, which will teach you how to set up your Forum account and not receive notifications or Private messages from other Users, or from your Foes.

UCP settings:
  1. Open up your "Private Message Inbox".
  2. Go to "Rules, folders & settings".
  3. All the settings for your Private messages will be opened up. In here, pay attention especially to the ADD NEW RULE section of the page.

Screenshot for help:
Spoiler: Please keep in mind I am using Town of Salem Forum board on screenshots, however, the buttons are in the same place as on the original Forum board.

1. Block specific User

This will effectively block all Private messages from certain User. However, the messages will still be sent to you - the rule will just instantly delete them, without even warning you they ever existed. This is especially useful if you are being harrased by a certain user via Private Messages, because moving this User into your Foes does not remove their ability to message you privatedly.

Remember - never set up this rule for any of the Staff Members - if you do, you will no longer get messages from them, considering your warnings or just information related to your reports, etc. These messages still apply as if they were received, as it is your resposibility for not receiving them - further complains like "I didnt see them because I had their PMs disabled!" will be considered invalid.

Setting up the Rule to block a User:
Spoiler: Image
    1. Click the highlighted button.
    2. from highlighed box, choose the "Sender".
    3.Click "Next".
    Repeat in this fashion, according to the following screenshots.
    Click the box, select "Is User", click Next.
    Into the box, type in Username of the User you wish to block. Optionally, you can use "Find member" to find them via the Members section. Click "Next".
    Select "Delete message", click "Add Rule".
    And you are finished. From now on, all the Private Messages from the User you selected will be deleted.

2. Block All your Foes.
Spoiler: Image
    This Rule is quite similar to the first one, with the exception that you will select these options instead.
  1. Sender
  2. is foe
  3. Delete message
    and hit the "add rule".
    Now, all Private Messages from your Foes will be instantly deleted.

3. Create a Folder for Foe messages.
Spoiler:
    First, you will need to create a Folder:
    Type in the name of your Folder, then select "add".
    Continue as if you were adding Rule to delete all Foe messages, but in the last option, select "Place into folder - (name of your folder)"
    Optionally also set up a rule that messages from Foes will be "marked as read" - that way, you will not receive notifications if Foes send you a message.

Optionally, you can also create a wide variety of other useful Rules and Settings, or even PM Folders. One example would be setting up a new Folder for Moderator messages, and then selecting a Rule with Usergroup of Global Moderators, and send their messages straight to the Folder for Moderator Messages.
You can also select the Foe or User messages and instead of selecting "delete message" you can select "Mark as read" - in that case, you will receive the messages from your Foes/ User, but they will not show up as a Notification on the top of your page.
Away in the real world most of the time, but I return from time to time, at my own whim.

FM history:
Spoiler: NFM4 - Lookout - W
NFM7 - Consort - L (so close tho)
FM8D - Cit+ to Sheriff - W
FM9C - Cit - L (epicly failed)
CFM hydra 2 - Medium with Varanus - W
SFM17 - Caporegime - W
FM9D - Serial Killer - W (epicly :D)
SFM14 - Bodyguard-ish role - modkilled, caused MyLo FTW - W?
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Return to Frequently Asked Questions