Religious Discussion

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Re: Religious Discussion

Postby DestroyerR225 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:24 am

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
DestroyerR225 wrote:Only a little point to add, the Messiah is said to come on a ‘chamor’ (a donkey), and the Hebrew word for it (חמור) comes from the same root as ‘chomer’ (חומר), which means ‘material’. Meaning, the Messiah, however connected with the transcendental he must be, must also be connected with the material plane of existence. He is going to be the LITERAL LEADER OF ALL NATIONS, after all. With all due respect, I don’t think a dead person qualifies to being connected with the material world. Also, what good is saying “naw, Jesus is totally in the process of doing it, he’s already the Messiah” when you don’t see any results? The Messiah isn’t supposed to be some kind of “God #2” that has his own plan on getting to the Messianic era, it’s supposed to be a perfectly normal person, who also happens to be the leader.

Jesus, the Messiah did come on a donkey. He rode into Jerusalem on one. And at that time he was, as you say, connected to the physical world, although he is much more so now. Jesus doesn't have "his own plan" he is following the plan that he himself, along with God and the Holy spirit, had ordained since the begining of time. And if you even read tye prophecies of the Messiah, he was anything but normal.

Yes, he may have BEEN normal, and he may have BEEN connected with the material world, and he probably DID ride a donkey. The key here, though, is the time: past. Jesus was and did those things, as did countless other people before and after him. But the simple fact that he doesn’t exist anymore in the physical world goes against what the Messiah by definition must be. And I just explained why ‘riding on a donkey’ isn’t an actual requirement but something a tad more profound. That would seem like a ridiculously specific and needless requirement otherwise.
DestroyerR225
Survivor
Survivor

Postby DestroyerR225 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 am

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:The Old Testament contains over 400 prophecies about the coming Messiah. Jesus Christ perfectly fulfilled every one of them.

Do you know what the odds of that happening are? Think about it: one single man fulfilling every prediction about the coming Messiah, Savior of the world.

A professor named Peter Stoner worked with 600 students to figure out what the probability would be of just eight (of the over 400) prophecies being fulfilled in any one person who had lived up to the present time. The result: 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000.21

Lee Strobel, an atheist-turned-Christian, performed some calculations to try to figure out what this would look like in real life. Lee notes:

“I imagined the entire world being covered with white tile that was one-and-a-half inches square—every bit of dry land on the planet—with the bottom of just one tile painted red. Then I pictured a person being allowed to wander for a lifetime around all seven continents. He would be permitted to bend down only one time and pick up a piece of tile. What are the odds it would be the one tile whose reverse side was painted red? The odds would be the same as just eight of the Old Testament prophecies coming true in any one person throughout history!”22

Here are some of the over 400 Old Testament prophesies that Jesus FULFILLED:

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD COME FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDAH, ONE OF THE 12 TRIBES OF ISRAEL. (GENESIS 49:10)
1505 years later...

FULFILLED: Jesus’ genealogy comes through the tribe of Judah. (Matthew 1:1-16)

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD BE A DESCENDANT OF KING DAVID. (JEREMIAH 23:5, PSALMS 132:11)
645 years later...

FULFILLED: Jesus was a descendant of King David. (Matthew 1:1-16)

PROPHECY: MICAH 5:2 SAYS THAT THE ONE TRUE MESSIAH WAS TO BE BORN IN BETHLEHEM.
760 years later...

FULFILLED: Jesus was born in Bethlehem. (Matthew 2:1, Luke 2:4-6)

PROPHECY: IN ISAIAH 7:14, IT SAYS THAT THE MESSIAH WOULD BE BORN OF A VIRGIN.
740 years later...

FULFILLED: Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (Matthew 1:22, Matthew 1:23, Luke 2:7)

PROPHECY: PSALMS 2:7 SAYS THAT THE MESSIAH WOULD BE THE SON OF GOD. “I WILL PROCLAIM THE DECREE OF THE LORD: HE SAID TO ME, ‘YOU ARE MY SON; TODAY I HAVE BECOME YOUR FATHER.’”
520 years later...

FULFILLED: “The angel answered, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’” (Luke 1:35)

PROPHECY: ISAIAH 53:2 SAYS THE MESSIAH WOULD GROW UP IN POVERTY. “HE GREW UP BEFORE HIM LIKE A TENDER SHOOT, AND LIKE A ROOT OUT OF DRY GROUND. HE HAD NO BEAUTY OR MAJESTY TO ATTRACT US TO HIM, NOTHING IN HIS APPEARANCE THAT WE SHOULD DESIRE HIM.”
740 years later...

FULFILLED: “‘Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?’ And they took offense at him.” (Mark 6:3)

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD HEAL THE SICK. “THEN THE EYES OF THE BLIND WILL BE OPENED AND THE EARS OF THE DEAF WILL BE UNSTOPPED. THEN THE LAME WILL LEAP LIKE A DEER AND THE TONGUE OF THE DUMB WILL SING FOR JOY.” (ISAIAH 35:5-6)
740 years later...

FULFILLED: “The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.” (Matthew 11:5)

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD SPEAK IN PARABLES. (PSALMS 78:2)
520 years later...

FULFILLED: “Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable.” (Matthew 13:34)

PROPHECY: ZECHARIAH 9:9 SAYS THAT THE MESSIAH WOULD ENTER JERUSALEM RIDING ON A DONKEY.
578 years later...

FULFILLED: “They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road. When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen: ‘Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!’ ‘Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!’” (Luke 19:35-38)

PROPHECY: PSALMS 41:9 SAYS THAT THE MESSIAH WOULD BE BETRAYED BY A CLOSE FRIEND, ONE WHOM HE TRUSTED, ONE WITH WHOM HE BROKE BREAD.
520 years later...

FULFILLED: Jesus was betrayed by his disciple, Judas. (John 13:18, John 13:21, Matthew 26:21-25)

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD BE BETRAYED FOR THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER. (ZECHARIAH 11:12)
578 years later...

FULFILLED: “Then one of the Twelve—the one called Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, ‘What are you willing to give me if I deliver him over to you?’ So they counted out for him thirty pieces of silver.” (Matthew 26:14-15)

PROPHECY: THE THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER USED TO PURCHASE THE MESSIAH’S BETRAYAL WOULD BE USED TO BUY A POTTERS FIELD. (ZECHARIAH 11:13)
578 years later...

FULFILLED: When Judas hanged himself, they used the money to buy a potters field. (Matthew 27:7)

PROPHECY: HE WOULD BE DENIED BY HIS DISCIPLES. “STRIKE THE SHEPHERD, AND THE SHEEP WILL BE SCATTERED.” (ZECHARIAH 13:7)
578 years later...

FULFILLED: “Then everyone deserted him and fled.” (Mark 14:50)

PROPHECY: ISAIAH 53:3 SAYS THAT THE MESSIAH WOULD BE DESPISED AND REJECTED BY MEN.
740 years later...

FULFILLED: Jesus was despised, rejected and crucified. (Luke 23:20-23)

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD BE MOCKED BY HIS ENEMIES. (PSALMS 22:7-8)
520 years later...

FULFILLED: “Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, ‘You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!’ In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. ‘He saved others,’ they said, ‘but he can’t save himself! He’s the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’ In the same way the robbers who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.” (Matthew 27:39-44)

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD DIE IN A BRUTAL WAY, HIS HANDS AND FEET PIERCED. (PSALMS 22:14-17)
520 years later...

FULFILLED: Jesus was beaten, nailed to a cross and crucified. (Luke 22:63, Luke 23:32-33, John 19:18)

PROPHECY: THE MESSIAH WOULD BE GIVEN GALL AND VINEGAR TO DRINK. (PSALMS 69:21)
520 years later...

FULFILLED: “They came to a place called Golgotha (which means ‘the place of the skull’). There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it.” (Matthew 27:33-34)

PROPHECY: “THEY DIVIDE MY CLOTHES AMONG THEM AND CAST LOTS FOR MY GARMENT.” (PSALMS 22:18)
520 years later...

FULFILLED: “When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots. And sitting down, they kept watch over him there.” (Matthew 27:35-36)

PROPHECY: HIS BONES WOULD NOT BE BROKEN. “HE PROTECTS ALL HIS BONES, NOT ONE OF THEM WILL BE BROKEN.” (PSALMS 34:20)
550 years later...

FULFILLED: “The soldiers therefore came and broke the legs of the first man who had been crucified with Jesus, and then those of the other. But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.” (John 19:32-33)

PROPHECY: “I OFFERED MY BACK TO THOSE WHO BEAT ME, MY CHEEKS TO THOSE WHO PULLED OUT MY BEARD; I DID NOT HIDE MY FACE FROM MOCKING AND SPITTING.” (ISAIAH 50:6)
740 years later...

FULFILLED: In Matthew 26:67-68, they spat in His face and struck Him with their fists.

PROPHECY: HE WOULD BE FLOGGED. ISAIAH 53:5 SAYS, “HE WAS PIERCED FOR OUR TRANSGRESSIONS, HE WAS CRUSHED FOR OUR INIQUITIES; THE PUNISHMENT THAT BROUGHT US PEACE WAS ON HIM, AND BY HIS WOUNDS WE ARE HEALED.”
740 years later...

FULFILLED: “Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.” (Matthew 27:26) Isaiah not only talks about the flogging that Christ would receive, he even outlines the reason why Christ would suffer—to save us from the judgment of sin and death.

PROPHECY: ISAIAH 53:7 SAYS, “HE WAS OPPRESSED AND AFFLICTED, YET HE DID NOT OPEN HIS MOUTH; HE WAS LED LIKE A LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER, AND AS A SHEEP BEFORE HER SHEARERS IS SILENT, SO HE DID NOT OPEN HIS MOUTH.”
740 years later...

FULFILLED: “When He was accused by the chief priests and the elders, He gave no answer. Then Pilate asked Him, ‘Don’t you hear the testimony they are bringing against you?’ But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge—to the great amazement of the governor.” (Matthew 27:12-14)

PROPHECY: ISAIAH 53:12 SAYS THAT THE MESSIAH WOULD ATONE FOR THE SIN OF MAN. “HE BORE THE SIN OF MANY, AND MADE INTERCESSION FOR THE TRANSGRESSORS.”
740 years later...

FULFILLED: “God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished.” (Romans 3:25)

PROPHECY: “THE LORD SAYS TO MY LORD: ‘SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET.’” (PSALMS 110:1) THE MESSIAH WOULD SIT AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD AND HAVE AUTHORITY OVER EVERYTHING.
520 years later...

FULFILLED: “After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.” (Mark 16:19)

But please. Continue to tell me how Jesus isn't the Messiah and just fulfilled all of those by pure coincudence.

Wow, what a surprise! The man who Christianism refers to as savior fulfills all of the prophecies written in the text that Christianism reworked to fit its belief! Wow, that’s just wild.
DestroyerR225
Survivor
Survivor

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:43 am

It's almost like I already explained that point where Elijah could have said the Messiah must have blue eyes, and would you look at that, in John 6:9.42524154572682 it states "Jesus had the brightest bluest eyes, just like Elijah said."
Spoiler: Thanks Archo and sorry for rushing you

Anyone who thinks they can debate me without evidence cannot win a debate. Anyone who just uses one quote as a point shows they are the failure, and prove the opposing side.

I suck at grammar. I admit it. Grammar is my lowest subject, compared to my math, reading, writing, science and history.
NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

DestroyerR225 wrote:
James2 wrote:
DestroyerR225 wrote:Only a little point to add, the Messiah is said to come on a ‘chamor’ (a donkey), and the Hebrew word for it (חמור) comes from the same root as ‘chomer’ (חומר), which means ‘material’. Meaning, the Messiah, however connected with the transcendental he must be, must also be connected with the material plane of existence. He is going to be the LITERAL LEADER OF ALL NATIONS, after all. With all due respect, I don’t think a dead person qualifies to being connected with the material world. Also, what good is saying “naw, Jesus is totally in the process of doing it, he’s already the Messiah” when you don’t see any results? The Messiah isn’t supposed to be some kind of “God #2” that has his own plan on getting to the Messianic era, it’s supposed to be a perfectly normal person, who also happens to be the leader.

Why must the messiah adhere to this?

Because that is what the Jewish tradition and the Torah, both much more ancient than Christianism and therefore more reliable, say? Why can the Messiah adhere to YOUR beliefs?

Why must the messiah adhere to Jewish tradition?

Where in the Torah does it say the things you mentioned?

Why is something more reliable simply because it is older?

I don’t come at this from the POV of having pre-existing ideas about what the messiah must do. I believe in the OT because of Christ, not vice versa.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
James2 wrote:
RetralMega wrote:Why do people pray to Jesus?
Jesus isn't telepathic. He can't hear you.
God is the omnipotent one. This is the #1 thing about religion I don't understand at all.

The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are three distinct persons who are all one in being and equally God (and thus they share a common omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, and omnibenevolence). While each existed from all eternity, The Son took on a human nature in time, thus it is that Jesus Christ is both fully God and fully human. Since Jesus is God, He is omniscient. Moreover, even with his human intellect He knows all things that can be known by a human being.

God also permits the saints in Heaven to hear the prayers of the faithful on Earth, which is why Catholics ask them to pray for us.

Actually the Bible reads that Jesus is the sole intercessor to the throne. The only exception being the Holy Spirit in some cases.

Where does it say that?
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:33 am

James2 wrote:
DestroyerR225 wrote:
James2 wrote:

Because that is what the Jewish tradition and the Torah, both much more ancient than Christianism and therefore more reliable, say? Why can the Messiah adhere to YOUR beliefs?

I don’t come at this from the POV of having pre-existing ideas about what the messiah must do. I believe in the OT because of Christ, not vice versa.

Because JESUS WAS JEWISH, THUS MEANING HE IS THE JEWISH MESSIAH IF YOU CLAIM HE IS THE MESSIAH. If he isn't the Jewish Messiah, what must he be to be the Messiah? Be named Jesus Christ, claim to be the son of God?

Anyone who thinks they can debate me without evidence cannot win a debate. Anyone who just uses one quote as a point shows they are the failure, and prove the opposing side.

I suck at grammar. I admit it. Grammar is my lowest subject, compared to my math, reading, writing, science and history.
NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:38 am

NDM wrote:
James2 wrote:
DestroyerR225 wrote:
James2 wrote:

Because JESUS WAS JEWISH, THUS MEANING HE IS THE JEWISH MESSIAH IF YOU CLAIM HE IS THE MESSIAH. If he isn't the Jewish Messiah, what must he be to be the Messiah? Be named Jesus Christ, claim to be the son of God?

I’m aware that Jesus was a Jew. Why does that mean he had to adhere to Jewish tradition?
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:41 am

Because if you say that someone is a Jew and Messiah, that means he is the Jewish Messiah, meaning he follows Jewish Messiah laws.

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:43 am

NDM wrote:meaning he follows Jewish Messiah laws.

Why?
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:46 am

James2 wrote:

Why?

Is your only question why?

Why is Jesus the Messiah than?

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:52 am

NDM wrote:
James2 wrote:

Why?

Do you mean “why” in the causative sense (what is the actual cause of the fact) or the epistemic sense (how do we know it)?

In the causative sense, Jesus is the messiah because God sent him to save the human race from its sins. In the epistemic sense, we know it because he was raised from the dead and ascended into Heaven, as was confirmed by 11 witnesses (his Apostles).

I have kept asking you why because you have kept making assertions that were in need of support.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DestroyerR225 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm

James2 wrote:
NDM wrote:
James2 wrote:

Why?

Do you mean “why” in the causative sense (what is the actual cause of the fact) or the epistemic sense (how do we know it)?

In the causative sense, Jesus is the messiah because God sent him to save the human race from its sins. In the epistemic sense, we know it because he was raised from the dead and ascended into Heaven, as was confirmed by 11 witnesses (his Apostles).

I have kept asking you why because you have kept making assertions that were in need of support.

So, let me get this straight: you think Christian belief to what the Messiah must adhere has no need to be proven with evidence because 11 men say they’ve witnessed it, but Jewish belief to what the Messiah must adhere needs to be proven with evidence despite there being an entire people (that were scattered across the world with no way of communication between them) that claim that their ancestors witnessed it? Is that right?
DestroyerR225
Survivor
Survivor

Postby DestroyerR225 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:22 pm

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:Are the prophecies in the Torah any different than those found in the Old Testament?

Yes. The Old Testament is different than the Torah in many points.
DestroyerR225
Survivor
Survivor

Postby James2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:50 pm

DestroyerR225 wrote:
James2 wrote:
NDM wrote:
James2 wrote:

Why?

So, let me get this straight: you think Christian belief to what the Messiah must adhere has no need to be proven with evidence because 11 men say they’ve witnessed it

The testimony of 11 witnesses is very strong evidence.

but Jewish belief to what the Messiah must adhere needs to be proven with evidence despite there being an entire people (that were scattered across the world with no way of communication between them) that claim that their ancestors witnessed it? Is that right?

What specific events were witnessed that prove that the messiah must adhere to the rules that you laid out earlier?
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:56 pm

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:Are the prophecies in the Torah any different than those found in the Old Testament?

The Torah is the first five books of the Bible. The Tanakh is what Jews call the OT. A lot of what NDM is asserting comes from the Talmud, a collection of rabbinical writings. What I’ve been asking (and what NDM and Destroyer have not answered) is why the messiah needs to adhere to what the rabbis wrote.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 pm

I am doing the book of Prophets, like Elijah... Talmud is more Jewish law.

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:45 pm

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
NDM wrote:I am doing the book of Prophets, like Elijah... Talmud is more Jewish law.

How about this. You compile a list of Messianic prophecies. And then we'll discuss how Jesus fulfilled them.

Did the dead rise? As in all of them? Because that is one you never answered.

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Isaiah 1:26: "And I will restore your judges as at first and your counsellors as in the beginning; afterwards you shall be called City of Righteousness, Faithful City." Some Jews[9] interpret this to mean that the Sanhedrin will be re-established.
Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance (Isaiah 2:4)
The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:11–17)
He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via Solomon (1 Chronicles 22:8–10, 2 Chronicles 7:18)
The "spirit of the Lord" will be upon him, and he will have a "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)
Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)
Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)
He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)
All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)
Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)
There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)
All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)
The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)
He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)
Nations will recognize the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13–53:5)
The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)
The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)
Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)
The people of Israel will have direct access to the Torah through their minds and Torah study will become the study of the wisdom of the heart (Jeremiah 31:33)[10]
He will give you all the worthy desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)
He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13–15, Ezekiel 36:29–30, Isaiah 11:6–9).

List of the common ones.

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:01 pm

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
NDM wrote:
ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
NDM wrote:I am doing the book of Prophets, like Elijah... Talmud is more Jewish law.

How about this. You compile a list of Messianic prophecies. And then we'll discuss how Jesus fulfilled them.

Actually the dead did rise at the death of Jesus. But if that's not enough for you then at the end of time all who are dead will rise once again.

Can you cite, a source, not New Testament, which we have stated could just state whatever it wanted to claim Jesus was the Messiah.

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 pm

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
NDM wrote:
ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
NDM wrote:
ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:

Actually the dead did rise at the death of Jesus. But if that's not enough for you then at the end of time all who are dead will rise once again.

Can you cite, a source, not New Testament, which we have stated could just state whatever it wanted to claim Jesus was the Messiah.

Well the fact that it was written by multiple authors over the course of three decades lends some veritibility to it. But think about this. Before Jesus' death, christianity was rare, extremely so, with belivers being mostly limited to his disciples and those whom he had healed, but after his death there is an explosion of people willing to leave their homes and travel around the world to share the Gospel. Something had to cause the sudden increase in the number of believers. Perhaps you seem to forget that the scientific method is believe something until it's misproven, not the other way around.

It grew in size from legends. A myth will spread a story further than the truth. And you haven't spoken on how Jesus did all the needed Messiah traits that I could find.

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Dodowarrior44 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:10 am

James2 wrote:
Dodowarrior44 wrote:Omnipotence is impossible.

In fact, if a god tried to be omnipotent, I could do things it couldn't.

Create a pile of rocks on a tarp / in a box so heavy it can't life it.

The word “I” is equivocal, since it’s meaning varies based on who is using it. Logic 101.

God can make a rock so heavy you can’t lift it. Neither God nor you can make a rock so heavy God can’t lift it (since that would be a logical contradiction).

That is just so wrong. I can collect some rocks. Each rocket could weigh about 20 pounds. If I put 100 rocks in a basket, it would weigh 1 ton. I cannot lift one ton.

Therefor, I can do things god cannot.

EDIT:

Obviously, I can lift 20 pounds.
Favorite Roles:
Witch, Blackmailer, Jailor

Least Favorite Roles:
Executioner

I usually play as Forest.
Dodowarrior44
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby James2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Dodowarrior44 wrote:Therefor, I can do things god cannot.

God is perfectly capable of putting a ton of rocks in a basket. But unlike you He can still lift it.
Last edited by James2 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 pm

In case you still don’t get it, omnipotence means the ability to do anything. It doesn’t mean the inability to do something (such as lift a one ton bag of rocks). Again, Logic 101.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NDM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:43 pm

It is a paradox. If G-d is all powerful, can he create a stone so heavy he cannot lift it, or can he not create that?

NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Gobln » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 pm

NDM wrote:It is a paradox. If G-d is all powerful, can he create a stone so heavy he cannot lift it, or can he not create that?

James2 point is that God can do anything, including creating a rock he cannot lift. But then he could also lift that same rock.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussions