Rainbow Ramblings! (LGBTQ[AEIOUsometimesY]** Thread)

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Re: Rainbow Ramblings! (LGBTQ[AEIOUsometimesY]** Thread)

Postby Fenraiser » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Spoiler:
Rickdaily12 wrote:Interesting question...

Well, I actually don't think I've been following a whole lot of media about this? I hate to admit it, but I don't actually cross a lot of LGBT media I trust where news outlets are concerned, (not that they're as bad as say, Fox, but I don't find the topics all that useful to report or as believable as most national news outlets?) and the other entertainment content has mostly been subpar quality where I've come across.

I will say that I think Sense8 is a fabulous show, and absolutely recommend that everyone watch that series if they have access to it. One of the main leads is a Transwoman played by an actual Transwoman, and they touch on so many interesting topics both related to actual LGBT issues, while also having an interesting unrelated other plot going on. I also think How to Get Away with Murder is another great show. There were a few scary points here and there (and the ending leaves a minor... bad taste in my mouth about some troubling implications), but the show all in all addressed itself well and also at least casted LGBT actors in LGBT roles, and actually confronted important issues as well.

Other great shows/movies would interest me if I cross them. I will say that I generally dislike a how a lot of shows try to grapple with LGBT topics/roles, when they try to do this in the absolute worst way possible so many times; many productions either do not cast LGBT actors into LGBT roles, or even worse, they use the worst possible tropes, by accident or on purpose, who's to say :roll: (Not that Bi; Bury Your Gays, etc). Shows like Lucifer and Scandal/The 100, respectively, come to mind here.

From a literary point of view, I get it. It can be really hard to do this sort of thing correctly, and still end up with an interesting piece of media. But holy god, is it ever easy to do this sort of thing wrong, and it's something I notice and bothers the hell out of me. I would rather a story that doesn't bring up LGBT topics at all (yet doesn't shun them), than a story that gets ruined by a "bi" character who only has straight relationships and love interests that are explored, or queer characters who just lose absolutely everything while the straight people have great lives. There also are plenty of talented queer actors- seeing straight actors constantly cast as us and then miss a major mark later seems to be more of a pattern rather than a coincidence these days.

TL/DR, I appreciate great high quality media where LGBT characters are allowed to succeed and have happy endings, rather than their identities being used as mere tragic plot devices and excuses to look "inclusive". Shows that nail the first part fly great with me, and shows that attempt to do this, but fall into the second category very quickly irritate me.

I really hate it when stereotypes and stigma are perpetuated (especially when it's clear the writers/creators don't understand or share your queer experience). Hope things get better in the media. I can't say much about audio-visual stuff like movies because I don't watch movies or shows at all- I read. Maybe for Steven Universe/Adventure Time but that's literally it (I like how they dealt with Garnet and Ruby and Saphire in relation to fusion tbh). For comics, I can say I'm seeing a good trend of good queer content imo being pushed out onto the mainstream (I'm really selective so idk how much this statement stands but compared to the past it's a really good look and shows that society is growing more accepting).

My favorite comic (WebToons) with queer inclusion would be Gourmet Hound on Webtoons though I don't know of any queer *featured* Webtoons comic that aren't comedy which is sad. The only featured WebToons that I know of on Webtoons (Edit) with a queer protagonistis Muted which I think is pretty well done as it is (genre is mystery/drama/supernatural).

I have a selection of queer comics on certain topics that I feel is pretty cool and informed at the very least if you all want me to share.

On another note, I think YouTube also has some pretty rad content creators though I'm not too knowledgable about those- I feel it'd be more accessible IF YOUTUBE DIDN'T DEMONETIZE THEM.

Speak of the devil, another issue that queer people and queer creators face is respectively finding good queer content and distributing such queer content.

It makes it harder for kids to come to terms with themselves in a world that doesn't understand them just yet....I'm gonna stop rambling now sorry if this is disorganized see ya fams.
Last edited by Fenraiser on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deathofrats0808 wrote:
James wrote:DEATH! I JUST WANT ONE MORE BREATH!
CAAN YOOOU GRANT MEE ONE MOOOORE PLEEEEEEEEAAASE!?

All out of breath I'm afraid. I only have existential dread left.
Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dolphina » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:41 pm

Fenraiser wrote: Spoiler:

Well, I actually don't think I've been following a whole lot of media about this? I hate to admit it, but I don't actually cross a lot of LGBT media I trust where news outlets are concerned, (not that they're as bad as say, Fox, but I don't find the topics all that useful to report or as believable as most national news outlets?) and the other entertainment content has mostly been subpar quality where I've come across.

I will say that I think Sense8 is a fabulous show, and absolutely recommend that everyone watch that series if they have access to it. One of the main leads is a Transwoman played by an actual Transwoman, and they touch on so many interesting topics both related to actual LGBT issues, while also having an interesting unrelated other plot going on. I also think How to Get Away with Murder is another great show. There were a few scary points here and there (and the ending leaves a minor... bad taste in my mouth about some troubling implications), but the show all in all addressed itself well and also at least casted LGBT actors in LGBT roles, and actually confronted important issues as well.

Other great shows/movies would interest me if I cross them. I will say that I generally dislike a how a lot of shows try to grapple with LGBT topics/roles, when they try to do this in the absolute worst way possible so many times; many productions either do not cast LGBT actors into LGBT roles, or even worse, they use the worst possible tropes, by accident or on purpose, who's to say :roll: (Not that Bi; Bury Your Gays, etc). Shows like Lucifer and Scandal/The 100, respectively, come to mind here.

From a literary point of view, I get it. It can be really hard to do this sort of thing correctly, and still end up with an interesting piece of media. But holy god, is it ever easy to do this sort of thing wrong, and it's something I notice and bothers the hell out of me. I would rather a story that doesn't bring up LGBT topics at all (yet doesn't shun them), than a story that gets ruined by a "bi" character who only has straight relationships and love interests that are explored, or queer characters who just lose absolutely everything while the straight people have great lives. There also are plenty of talented queer actors- seeing straight actors constantly cast as us and then miss a major mark later seems to be more of a pattern rather than a coincidence these days.

TL/DR, I appreciate great high quality media where LGBT characters are allowed to succeed and have happy endings, rather than their identities being used as mere tragic plot devices and excuses to look "inclusive". Shows that nail the first part fly great with me, and shows that attempt to do this, but fall into the second category very quickly irritate me.

Spoiler: I really hate it when stereotypes and stigma are perpetuated (especially when it's clear the writers/creators don't understand or share your queer experience). Hope things get better in the media. I can't say much about audio-visual stuff like movies because I don't watch movies or shows at all- I read. Maybe for Steven Universe/Adventure Time but that's literally it (I like how they dealt with Garnet and Ruby and Saphire in relation to fusion tbh). For comics, I can say I'm seeing a good trend of good queer content imo being pushed out onto the mainstream (I'm really selective so idk how much this statement stands but compared to the past it's a really good look and shows that society is growing more accepting).

My favorite comic (WebToons) with queer inclusion would be Gourmet Hound on Webtoons though I don't know of any queer *featured* Webtoons comic that aren't comedy which is sad. The only featured WebToons that I know of on Webtoons is Muted which I think is pretty well done as it is (genre is mystery/drama/supernatural).

I have a selection of queer comics on certain topics that I feel is pretty cool and informed at the very least if you all want me to share.

On another note, I think YouTube also has some pretty rad content creators though I'm not too knowledgable about those- I feel it'd be more accessible IF YOUTUBE DIDN'T DEMONETIZE THEM.

Speak of the devil, another issue that queer people and queer creators face is respectively finding good queer content and distributing such queer content.

It makes it harder for kids to come to terms with themselves in a world that doesn't understand them just yet....I'm gonna stop rambling now sorry if this is disorganized see ya fams.

dw fam this is for rainbow ramblings, not rainbow organized speech

can i just mention how much gay was stigmatized for me as a child btw? up until like idk 9-10 years of age i didn’t even know that saying gay was acceptable and not a swear™. i didn’t know about a lot of lgbtq+ terms until kind of but not really recently. it sucks that children don’t know about this stuff more. i didn’t even realize same sex relationships were a thing
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Fenraiser » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 pm

dolphina wrote:
Fenraiser wrote: Spoiler:

Spoiler: I really hate it when stereotypes and stigma are perpetuated (especially when it's clear the writers/creators don't understand or share your queer experience). Hope things get better in the media. I can't say much about audio-visual stuff like movies because I don't watch movies or shows at all- I read. Maybe for Steven Universe/Adventure Time but that's literally it (I like how they dealt with Garnet and Ruby and Saphire in relation to fusion tbh). For comics, I can say I'm seeing a good trend of good queer content imo being pushed out onto the mainstream (I'm really selective so idk how much this statement stands but compared to the past it's a really good look and shows that society is growing more accepting).

My favorite comic (WebToons) with queer inclusion would be Gourmet Hound on Webtoons though I don't know of any queer *featured* Webtoons comic that aren't comedy which is sad. The only featured WebToons that I know of on Webtoons is Muted which I think is pretty well done as it is (genre is mystery/drama/supernatural).

dw fam this is for rainbow ramblings, not rainbow organized speech

can i just mention how much gay was stigmatized for me as a child btw? up until like idk 9-10 years of age i didn’t even know that saying gay was acceptable and not a swear™. i didn’t know about a lot of lgbtq+ terms until kind of but not really recently. it sucks that children don’t know about this stuff more. i didn’t even realize same sex relationships were a thing

I'm very glad your worldview is opening up- that's how we grow, learning new things about ourselves and others. The stigma worldwide is still pretty prevalent, unfortunately. The rising exposure of queer media should help a great deal in reducing the negative view on LGBTQ+ people. In addition, public figures who are out such as Lil Nas X and SonicFox and having many queer candidates go into Office in the U.S. is a good sign, but we need to keep on going.

Discussions like these are always pretty cool. If you have any questions, I think you can shoot them here, ya know. Hopefully these kinds of discussions become more common and less stigmatized in society and the world.

I need to go make my compilation of queer comics now. Let me also see if there is a resource for finding queer media and creators (esp. YouTube. That'd be pretty cool, but give me a few days xD unless you want online comics.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JazzMusicStops » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:10 am

StlnSP wrote:
JazzMusicStops wrote:Image

I guess my heterosexual, cisgendered ass gon die then

If you're cishet why are you in this thread

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby JazzMusicStops » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:26 am

Rickdaily12 wrote:One of the main leads is a Transwoman played by an actual Transwoman

Just as a heads up, "Transwoman" is grammatically incorrect, Trans is an adjective so there should be a space.

I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:01 am

JazzMusicStops wrote:
Rickdaily12 wrote:One of the main leads is a Transwoman played by an actual Transwoman

Just as a heads up, "Transwoman" is grammatically incorrect, Trans is an adjective so there should be a space.

Whoops. :oops: Thanks for catching that.

JazzMusicStops wrote:If you're cishet why are you in this thread

Because they're allowed to be... =/

OP wrote:2. Allies, also known as Heterosexual Supporters, are more than welcome to post on this topic for ANY reason. As long as they are respectful when addressing others, there is no reason that they cannot be involved here with us as well.

I suppose I should also add on a "Cisgender" onto this as well, but I digress, we're all accepting here!
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12
FM Awards: Town

Postby dolphina » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:09 pm

lgbtq+ and cishets alike deserve love

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby BRVR » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:24 pm

the hell is a cishets

i thought you guys were mispelling chip really wrongly
THE GREAT KIJAH IS BACK AND IS HERE TO STAY!
I AM OPEN TO MAKING NEW FRIENDS TO FILL THE VOID IN MY HEART OF SADNESS!
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Alicitzen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:15 pm

BRVR wrote:the hell is a cishets

i thought you guys were mispelling chip really wrongly

cisgender heterosexuals
Discord: Alicitzen#1312
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby Fenraiser » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:46 am

My discord adventures has led me to this which I thought was interesting. Idk if the thread discussed this before but it's pretty cool for people who aren't sure how to define their attraction to others.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rickdaily12 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:22 pm

Speaking practically, and not trying to throw shade or make fun of anything at all if this is terminology they use, but I personally would find it to be an absolute major boner killer if someone I was interested in confided that they had also considered me a smush. :lol:

It... does not provoke the most attractive imagery.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12

Postby Fenraiser » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:54 pm

Rickdaily12 wrote:Speaking practically, and not trying to throw shade or make fun of anything at all if this is terminology they use, but I personally would find it to be an absolute major boner killer if someone I was interested in confided that they had also considered me a smush. :lol:

Idk about the crush type terminologied, but I think platonic, sensual, and aesthetic attractions do a good job describing non-sexual attraction. Alterous is weird but kind of relatable.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JazzMusicStops » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:25 pm

the fuck is queerplatonic?

I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby dolphina » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:04 pm

JazzMusicStops wrote:the fuck is queerplatonic?

when you wanna be more than friends but not romantically or sexually

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Alicitzen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:15 pm

When the plates of the earth are really gay
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby Syliana » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Alicitzen wrote:

Does this mean earthquakes are just earthgasms?
Squeaks in the night
Syliana
Jester
Jester

Postby Fenraiser » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 pm

dolphina wrote:

This is a pretty apt definition, I will get more information later.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Chemist1422 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:15 pm

dolphina wrote:

wait then what's the difference between that and alterous attraction
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Alicitzen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:47 pm

Syliana wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:

That is correct. dont ask about geysers.
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby BRVR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 pm

Alicitzen wrote:
Syliana wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:

i'm gonna ask about geysers
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby dolphina » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 pm

BRVR wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:
Syliana wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:

c u m

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby BRVR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 pm

dolphina wrote:
BRVR wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:
Syliana wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:

c u m

N O
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Fenraiser » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:54 am

Chemist1422 wrote:
dolphina wrote:

wait then what's the difference between that and alterous attraction

This is a really good question! I had to go look up things on a lgbtq+ server I frequent and also on several websites to find the difference.

Prefacing that, I'm going to introduce the term Amatonormativity by Elizabeth Brake.
The belief that marriage and companionate romantic love have special value leads to overlooking the value of other caring relationships. I call this disproportionate focus on marital and amorous love relationships as special sites of value, and the assumption that romantic love is a universal goal, ‘amatonormativity’: This consists in the assumptions that a central, exclusive, amorous relationship is normal for humans, in that it is a universally shared goal, and that such a relationship is normative, in that it should be aimed at in preference to other relationship types. The assumption that valuable relationships must be marital or amorous devalues friendships and other caring relationships, as recent manifestos by urban tribalists, quirkyalones, polyamorists, and asexuals have insisted. Amatonormativity prompts the sacrifice of other relationships to romantic love and marriage and relegates friendship and solitudinousness to cultural invisibility.

Elizabeth Brake, Minimizing Marriage (OUP, 2012), Chapter 4.iii

TLDR: Amatonormativity is the belief that two-partnered romantic love trumps all other types of relationships and should be prioritized before all other relationships (such as friendships or polyamorous people).

Now, here's quick answer provided by a kind user on the server I mentioned before about the difference between queerplatonic and alterous attraction:
queerplatonic is explicitly platonic
alterous isn't related to romance or platonic*

*Disclaimer: more of the relationship isn't defined by romance/friendship (can be a spectrum between romance and friendship, queerness is fluid after all lol) but emotional closeness.

Alterous and queerplatonic attraction/relationships both defy amatonormativity.

Alterous attraction is more based off of wanting to be emotionally close to someone without a romantic/platonic drive. In my view, being "emotionally close" could be described as wanting to know or understand a person's "soul." It reminds me of the usage of "soulmate" between people who aren't romantically involved.

Queerplatonic is mostly used in terms of defining a relationship where people defy the social boundaries of friends and lovers. For example, in a romantic relationship, the common social structure dictates that the pair (only the pair) should live together and raise kids together. In a queerplatonic relationship, two (maybe more?) friends zuchinnis (I do not know what to call people in a QP relationship ahhhh found it) decide to live together for the rest of their days and adopt and raise child(ren).

I hope I captured the distinction clearly. This is sort of new to me too, and I just google searched this and asked a server on discord for help. I still don't understand things completely myself, but it was interesting to try and research new things. If I have anything that's inaccurate or you have additional questions, please let me know.

I've posted some links I've skimmed consulted below:

Amatonormativity:
https://elizabethbrake.com/amatonormativity/ (Brief Overview w/ Elizabeth Brake who coined the term Amatonormativity)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amatonormativity (Brief overview & history)
https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/187 ... rmativity/ (Thread about amatormativity on the forums of AVEN - the Asexual Visibility and Education Network)

Queerplatonic:
https://aromantic.wikia.org/wiki/Queerp ... ite_note-2 (Brief Overview)
https://kaz.dreamwidth.org/238564.html?thread=1342436 (Origin of popular use)

Alterous:
https://aromantic.wikia.org/wiki/Alterous (Brief Overview)
https://arospecawarenessweek.tumblr.com ... ined-terms (First use)

Aside Responses:
Spoiler:
Rickdaily12 wrote:Speaking practically, and not trying to throw shade or make fun of anything at all if this is terminology they use, but I personally would find it to be an absolute major boner killer if someone I was interested in confided that they had also considered me a smush. :lol:

That is certainly true lol for the imagery. I don't want to imagine this.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AbstractGlacial » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 am

dolphina wrote:
BRVR wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:
Syliana wrote:
Alicitzen wrote:

c u m

https://cdn-wp.madskil.com/2020/08/Gach ... rticle.png
AbstractGlacial
Civilian
Civilian

Postby JazzMusicStops » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:13 am

I'm not going to quote the post but that was very informative

However "zucchini" is quite possibly the worst word ever to refer to people in any kind of relationship and coupled with the whole squish/smush/whatever thing I feel like we shouldn't let lolrandom fourteen-year-olds name things that could otherwise have been taken seriously

I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussions