Rainbow Ramblings! (LGBTQ[AEIOUsometimesY]** Thread)

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Re: Rainbow Ramblings! (LGBTQ[AEIOUsometimesY]** Thread)

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:30 am

that was just a brainfart i swear, i didnt fail that section of chemistry class this year qqqqqq
Spoiler: FM Record Image
Click here if you like crime games/text RPGs.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:31 am

Nellyfox wrote:Not really. Just remember prefixes.
Hetero - different.
Homo - same.
Bi - two.
A - lack of.

Pan - Any.

It transcends the borderlines of physicality. It's almost poetic in its spirituality.

However it's also a position espoused by the likes of evil people who see people as unloveable objects.

A very thoughtful thought of which I am reluctantly a member.
"Oh no not Coffee.." | Lead town, get lynched. Lather, rise, repeat.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:34 am

I didn't include pan for my own reasons. Not going to get into them because people won't like them.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:36 am

I'll shoulder the burden.

This is the purpose of discussion.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby RetralMega » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:08 am

Nellyfox wrote:Hetero is different, Alzar. :P
Or opposite. Doesn't matter.

RetralMega wrote:
Nellyfox wrote:Autocorrect is terrible. And what Retral?

Cisgender and Cisnormativity are Cis ones.

Cis is completely stupid, so I disregard it.
I'm not cisgender, I'm female. That's that.

You're breaking Rick's custom rules to this thread... That was pretty uncalled for.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby parkerparkour » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:09 am

SecretWeaponCoffee wrote:
Nellyfox wrote:Not really. Just remember prefixes.
Hetero - different.
Homo - same.
Bi - two.
A - lack of.

Pan - Any.

It transcends the borderlines of physicality. It's almost poetic in its spirituality.

However it's also a position espoused by the likes of evil people who see people as unloveable objects.

A very thoughtful thought of which I am reluctantly a member.

r/iamverysmart

Fighting over labels is dumb.
parkerparkour
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Location: The real bad place was the friends we made along the way

Postby FMLSheWas12 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:19 am

Some non-distinguishable labels are necessary if you identify as a special snowflake.
FM Star Collection
Spoiler:
Trolled by the League of Losers
Spoiler:
FMLSheWas12
Consort
Consort

Postby Candela » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:37 am

Although I am (still) confused on my sexuality, I do know I'm not hetero.
Candela
Witch
Witch

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:57 am

RetralMega wrote:You're breaking Rick's custom rules to this thread... That was pretty uncalled for.

As I've stated before, how you identify is none of my business. Use the terms if you wish, but I choose to avoid them. I don't see the need for them.
Sorry if my views offend you.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Rickdaily12 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:51 am

Nellyfox wrote:
RetralMega wrote:You're breaking Rick's custom rules to this thread... That was pretty uncalled for.

As I've stated before, how you identify is none of my business. Use the terms if you wish, but I choose to avoid them. I don't see the need for them.
Sorry if my views offend you.

Be that as it may, Nelly, Retral does have a point. It's one thing to say "I personally don't use the label", and another to say "It's dumb, I disregard it for reasons".

The word and prefix is very important to a large group of people, and those people almost certainly do occupy these forums. Please remember that this is a space to be inclusive. So in case it needs to be stated clearly, please choose your words carefully regarding labels and prefixes. This goes for everyone.

It's okay to state that they're personally not your thing, but attacking it, calling it dumb, things like that- those cross lines that are likely to go very badly. Please don't.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12
FM Awards: Town

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:58 am

Question is why I would cause a conflict.
I mean with touchy subjects like this you should expect to have people with different views. Because honestly, you do you. I don't like to sugarcoat things like this. >.>

But w/e. Forget I said anything on that then.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Rickdaily12 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Nellyfox wrote:Question is why I would cause a conflict.
I mean with touchy subjects like this you should expect to have people with different views. Because honestly, you do you. I don't like to sugarcoat things like this. >.>

But w/e. Forget I said anything on that then.

You just need to pick your words more carefully. I get what you're trying to say, and I'm not saying that your mindset is the problem. Personally, I don't see much harm in discussing that there's a label for something that you just don't get. Or even just simply say "Eh, that's not really for me".

But going out and labeling labels as dumb is just going to cause trouble. Some people do care about those things.

#LabelingLabels \_(=/)_/

oily wrote:How do you feel when someone uses your sexual alignment as an insult?
Was there any clear moment you found your sexual alignment (no need to share stories, but I won't object) (anyone can answer this as well)
Do you make jokes about your own sexual alignment?

1. Demisexuality is usually a sexual orientation not commonly heard of, so I usually don't get huffy about my own alignment. :lol: Normally what ends up happening regarding mine is people who try to argue that it doesn't exist. Hell, even autocorrect will red-line Demisexuality for other terms because the computer just doesn't recognize it.
Generally, even if they aren't aware they're talking about me, my problem tends to be against any kind of bigot. They might not even be talking about something that applies to me (A transphobe, for example) and I'll get in their face for being overly rude. I'll try to at least explain first why these things matter and just how hurt people can get just from words like that, but if the person saying these things just doesn't get it, I'm very quick to just write them out of my life as immature. Some people aren't worth getting angry over.

2. I actually just said that my orientation was "questioning", for a fairly long period of time. It took me about three years before reading on another LGBTQ board for a webcomic- the label "Demisexual" told me that such a classification even exists. Once I actually found something that actually describes how I find attraction for another person, it was pretty easy to make that discovery.
As for the "questioning" itself, I guess you can say there were inconsistencies... after I found myself largely grossed out by naked men yet somehow attracted to my best friend... even when I desperately wanted NOT to be.

3. Sometimes. I appreciate dark humor around certain people. I'm very careful about it. It has to be around someone who I KNOW is mature when it comes to these topics, and someone who would know I'm not being serious about it. I also let these people joke about those things too- within reason.

SecretWeaponCoffee wrote:Thought Rick was departed. I like your strategy guides.

Meh. Call it a hiatus. :P
I never left the forums, not really- I simply abandoned Town of Salem guide making, for Forum Mafia guide making.

I probably would have finished the Town of Salem guides if I enjoyed the game as much as I used to. But nowadays I typically only like to play with people from the forums and my friends, not so much strangers anymore. It's a much more different dynamic to play the game over a longer period of time (like in Forum Mafia) where it's actually more challenging. Town of Salem got a bit more boring as a result.

Thanks for the kind words, though. Nice to see my roots still dig deep around here.

Alzar wrote:my gender alignment is neutral evil

sometimes im just ??? when a gsa doesnt accept allies because rip closeted people who dont want their family/friends to know

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This happens in high schools way more often than it should. :roll: I have stories from my school experiences, and now my sister's- five years later.

It really is a depressing thing that needs to change.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Rickdaily12

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 pm

parkerparkour wrote:r/iamverysmart

Fighting over labels is dumb.

Flattered. Awaiting some non-hominim riposte.

You can either draw the line and grow together.. or..
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby JazzMusicStops » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Nellyfox wrote:I'm not cisgender, I'm female. That's that.

Doesn't cisgender simply mean that your gender matches your sex, like, the opposite of transgender?

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 pm

It does, but that doesn't change the fact I dislike having the label applied to me.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Alicitzen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Rickdaily12 wrote: Also, several cat memes and among other things.

Where are the cat memes?
Discord: Alicitzen#1312
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby Rickdaily12 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Sarah Thorpe wrote:

Where are the cat memes?

2lazy

I mean, I could always just go look for a Nyan Cat meme, but effort.

Rickdaily12

Postby alouvre » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:20 pm

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Where are the cat memes?

Seeing demisexuality being mentioned makes me remember my questioning phase, and jeez, fuck that. I used to be so hung up on whether I was demisexual or asexual, damn. I'm neither, for the record, but for a while I was under the impression I was one or the other, because I misunderstood demisexuality and had some weird shit going on with my libido.
alouvre
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Alicitzen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Rickdaily12 wrote:
Sarah Thorpe wrote:

Where are the cat memes?

2lazy

I was promised cat maymays.
How dare you tempt me into this thread and disappoint me.
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby MashFlob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:00 am

What's the difference between bisexual, pansexual and demisexual?

I get the linguistic differences, but I don't see how they are practically different sexual orientations. At best bi-sexuality is the umbrella term for the other two.
MashFlob
Lookout
Lookout

Postby alouvre » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:32 am

Bisexuality and pansexuality are, from what I understand, the same thing. Some people have a preference for one for some reason or the other, though. I knew somebody who went with bisexual simply because she liked how it looked.

Pansexuality is a more inclusive label, however, simply because of the linguistic difference. Some people identify outside of just male and female, like agender or genderfluid people. Pansexuality is a label that encompasses all these identities — an acknowledgement, if you will.

Demisexuality is something completely different. There are some people who see somebody they're attracted to, but will never anything to do with them unless they get to know each other first. This is not demisexuality. When they are not attracted to anybody unless they already have an established bond with them, that is demisexuality.

And here I show the embarassing amount of time I spent researching LGBT+ labels. Bite me.
alouvre
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby MashFlob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 am

alouvre wrote:Pansexuality is a more inclusive label, however, simply because of the linguistic difference. Some people identify outside of just male and female, like agender or genderfluid people. Pansexuality is a label that encompasses all these identities — an acknowledgement, if you will.

uph, that's my problem with new movements. Why use new words if they mean the same, just to be different?
But thanks for explanation it makes somewhat sense.

alouvre wrote:
Demisexuality is something completely different. There are some people who see somebody they're attracted to, but will never anything to do with them unless they get to know each other first. This is not demisexuality. When they are not attracted to anybody unless they already have an established bond with them, that is demisexuality.

But a sexual orientation isn't a question of how you get attracted to somebody, but to who you can get attracted.

So to me it sounds like demisexual are bisexual people with little to no sexual drive, which explains the focus on the emotional bond rather than a physical attraction.
MashFlob
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Nellyfox » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:52 am

Sexuality today deals mostly with gender instead of sex. Bisexuality means you're attracted to two genders (usually male and female) and pansexuality is any gender.

Those are what people use them for today at least.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Alicitzen » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:14 am

I always thought pansexuality used the french word pan.
That explains a lot actually.No I did not actually think that.

oily wrote:How do you feel when someone uses your sexual alignment as an insult?
Was there any clear moment you found your sexual alignment (no need to share stories, but I won't object) (anyone can answer this as well)
Do you make jokes about your own sexual alignment?

I rarely see it happen. People would rather find other reasons to hate others here.
Yes.
Yes.
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby Rickdaily12 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm

MashFlob wrote:What's the difference between bisexual, pansexual and demisexual?

I get the linguistic differences, but I don't see how they are practically different sexual orientations. At best bi-sexuality is the umbrella term for the other two.

MashFlob wrote:A sexual orientation isn't a question of how you get attracted to somebody, but to who you can get attracted.

Let me suggest that perhaps you may be thinking a bit too narrow here.

Sure, on the surface, people who do not strictly identify as heterosexual only, can see a possibility where their partner is of the same sex. Those who do not strictly identify as homosexual only, can see possibility where their partner is of the opposite sex.

What if sex is irrelevant to these people?

I don't strictly accept that sexual orientation is only meant to predict the sex of your partner with X% accuracy and Y% margin of error- which would basically be the end result, I find, if we suggest the "to who you can get attracted to" assertion. If you change your viewpoint to the "how you get attracted", on the other hand, this may be far more relevant in the topic of dating someone you may or may not wind up having feelings for.

The reasons why people who are demisexual and pansexual don't just stop at bisexual are USUALLY:
1. They do not care if their partner is of the same or opposite sex AND also do not care if the person is genderqueer, agendered, or otherwise
2. In the case of demisexuals, they may generally find themselves with little to NO attraction to sex/gender... in the absence of any connection to people
3. In the case of pansexuals, when talking about why they are sexually active, may discuss things completely irrelevant to sex/gender.

To be a bit less politically correct, from I've come to understand in discussions, A Bisexual is someone who enjoys high sexual activity but does find themselves with varying degrees of attraction to both core sexes. The attraction could be equal, it may also swing one way more than the other due to a stronger preference to one of the two core sexes.

Pansexuals tend to not have sexual preferences (this doesn't mean they don't ever), but from discussions I've grown to understand that they try to grow sexual attraction beyond the physical body. They usually have far less problems dating people who are more agendered or genderqueer, whereas a Bisexual might not prefer to do this.

Demisexuals tend to have no sexual preferences at all (liking neither =/= liking both) which is quite different from Bisexual. What makes them different from the grey spectrum of Aromantics and Asexuals, is that a lot of them say that they want a sexual and romantic relationship with a future partner, but struggle because they don't find the human body sexually appealing without any attachment to that person. The attraction is personal, not general.

So, just to top this off, if you really want to limit your viewpoint to the sex/gender of someone's potential partners, then sure- typically anyone who identifies strictly heterosexual only would not be married to the same sex, and anyone who identifies strictly homosexual only would not be married to the opposite sex.

But again, why restrict your viewpoint?

If your intention is to understand what the person sees for attraction, don't you think the subjective for that person here would matter?

Rickdaily12

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussions