A Somewhat Controversial Question. (Please no arguing!)

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

A Somewhat Controversial Question. (Please no arguing!)

Postby ScorpioDiAngelo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 am

So everyone here is aware that I've recently begun coming out to my family and church as bisexual. For those of you who have known me here on the forums for a while, you know that I was a very religious person just over a year ago. Coming out has, as is expected, been very difficult because of my religious background and the beliefs of everyone in my family and/or church. So far I've only come out to four people, and I've bewn outed to my pastor and a few others by someone I thought I could trust. I guess my question is this.

For those of you with religious backgrounds and/or experience with religious/lgbt interactions. How can I reconcile my faith with my sexuality? Also how am I suppossed to respond to the, sometimes hurtful, comments and/or questions I am receiving from people who used to be my friends?

Here are some of the aforementioned comments/questions so you have an idea what I mean.
-"Have you ever felt this way towards children?"
-"You know it's a slippery slope. Once you start you don't know where you'll end up."
-"So what, you've just been faking it (my faith) for the last four years?"
-"What have you done that would cause you to feel this way?"

Edit:
Almost forgot my favorite:
-"You know you're going to end up being a pedophile right?" (This one, for extremely personal reasons, hurt the worst. Let's just say I've had some not so good things happen to me in my life and the person who told me thid knows about what happened.)
How to Become a Confirmed Disatser Bi (The series)

Spoiler:
ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:I was so distracted watching bi tik tok compilations that I didn't realize it was mod and argued with them about it so kms now.

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:So who's body parts do I have to play with to be guven modinstritive capabilities.

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:You forgot the anus. Never forget the anus.

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:I sensed a disturbance in the yasss force. So I have arrived.
ScorpioDiAngelo
Retributionist
Retributionist

Location: Probably in my bed at 6 A.M. stubbornly refusing to sleep.

Re: A Somewhat Controversial Question. (Please no arguing!)

Postby James2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 pm

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:How can I reconcile my faith with my sexuality?

To be quite honest (and given what you've said, I assume you won't be offended by anything I say about your denomination), situations like yours are a big part of why charismatic spirituality can be problematic. It tends to induce a (false) expectation that if you're faithful enough, God will take care of your problems. This in turn leads to the idea that if you're suffering, depressed, chronically tempted, or what have you, that it must be because of something you've done wrong, because you aren't "really" faithful, such as in this example:

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:"What have you done that would cause you to feel this way?"

How far is this model from the truth! Think of the example of Mother Theresa; she was one of the most saintly people to live in the last century, yet she spent decades in spiritual darkness, tempted to despair and *feeling* as if God had abandoned her (we know this from her private letters, some of which have been published since her death). Yet the whole time she continued to do the will of God, and now she's in Heaven.

In your case, you are tempted to engage in sexually immorality. This is true in one way or another of all nearly all unmarried Christian young people (myself included). The correct response to such temptations is to reject them, and if you fail, repent and get back up again. If someday you marry a woman, you will be in the same position as a married man who is tempted to lust after women other than his wife. If you are not able to marry, then the right choice is celibacy for the sake of the kingdom of Heaven (which St. Paul says is better than marriage anyway).

As for the practical question of what to do about being surrounded by people who believe that chronic temptation, spiritual desolation, etc. is proof of unfaithfulness (now that you know this to be false), you need to seriously think about what you believe, why you believe it, and what the real truth is. From our previous discussions, you have plenty of cause to know that the Gospel is true, that Jesus is the Son of God and died and rose again to save the human race, etc. The only question is who authentically speaks for Him and what implications that has for your spiritual life. My opinion is well known, and in my more arrogant days I would have pushed it, but this is something you need to find out for yourself.
James2
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby ScorpioDiAngelo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:45 am

Allow me to rephrase my previous statement. I have been in the pentecostal movement for nearly six years now. I've seen and felt too much of it to ever try and go bavk and say there's nothing to it. So I guess my question is not "How can I reconcile my faith with my sexuality." My question, I suppose, is how can I come to peace with the fact that I am turning my back on my faith, which has been a major part of my life and has honestly helped me through so much.

Spoiler:
ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:I was so distracted watching bi tik tok compilations that I didn't realize it was mod and argued with them about it so kms now.

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:So who's body parts do I have to play with to be guven modinstritive capabilities.

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:I sensed a disturbance in the yasss force. So I have arrived.
ScorpioDiAngelo
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Kmenx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am

You know you're going to end up being a pedophile right?" (This one, for extremely personal reasons, hurt the worst. Let's just say I've had some not so good things happen to me in my life and the person who told me thid knows about what happened.)

I don't know about all of the religious stuff but I can safely say the person who said this is scientifically wrong since if they were right there wouldn't be any straight pedos also pedophilia is more of a fetish than a sexuality so you won't be a pedo unless you always were so fuck em
You can find me in discord at Disguiser#5127

Spoiler: My FM record:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Kmenx
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby ScorpioDiAngelo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:40 am

Kmenx wrote:
You know you're going to end up being a pedophile right?" (This one, for extremely personal reasons, hurt the worst. Let's just say I've had some not so good things happen to me in my life and the person who told me thid knows about what happened.)

I don't know about all of the religious stuff but I can safely say the person who said this is scientifically wrong since if they were right there wouldn't be any straight pedos also pedophilia is more of a fetish than a sexuality so you won't be a pedo unless you always were so fuck em

I know.I'm not going to be. It just hurts that they would say that about me.and I don't know how to respond to some thing like that.

Spoiler:

ScorpioDiAngelo
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Kmenx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 am

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
Kmenx wrote:

I know.I'm not going to be. It just hurts that they would say that about me.and I don't know how to respond to some thing like that.

Depends if they only do it to bash on bisexuals/gays you just can't respond but if they are actually clueless you can try to explain it and that may work
Last edited by Kmenx on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kmenx
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Kmenx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am

Spoiler:
James2 wrote:
ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:How can I reconcile my faith with my sexuality?

To be quite honest (and given what you've said, I assume you won't be offended by anything I say about your denomination), situations like yours are a big part of why charismatic spirituality can be problematic. It tends to induce a (false) expectation that if you're faithful enough, God will take care of your problems. This in turn leads to the idea that if you're suffering, depressed, chronically tempted, or what have you, that it must be because of something you've done wrong, because you aren't "really" faithful, such as in this example:

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:"What have you done that would cause you to feel this way?"

How far is this model from the truth! Think of the example of Mother Theresa; she was one of the most saintly people to live in the last century, yet she spent decades in spiritual darkness, tempted to despair and *feeling* as if God had abandoned her (we know this from her private letters, some of which have been published since her death). Yet the whole time she continued to do the will of God, and now she's in Heaven.

In your case, you are tempted to engage in sexually immorality. This is true in one way or another of all nearly all unmarried Christian young people (myself included). The correct response to such temptations is to reject them, and if you fail, repent and get back up again. If someday you marry a woman, you will be in the same position as a married man who is tempted to lust after women other than his wife. If you are not able to marry, then the right choice is celibacy for the sake of the kingdom of Heaven (which St. Paul says is better than marriage anyway).

As for the practical question of what to do about being surrounded by people who believe that chronic temptation, spiritual desolation, etc. is proof of unfaithfulness (now that you know this to be false), you need to seriously think about what you believe, why you believe it, and what the real truth is. From our previous discussions, you have plenty of cause to know that the Gospel is true, that Jesus is the Son of God and died and rose again to save the human race, etc. The only question is who authentically speaks for Him and what implications that has for your spiritual life. My opinion is well known, and in my more arrogant days I would have pushed it, but this is something you need to find out for yourself.

Wait is this a James2 post that is not outright ignorant and actually tries to help?
Color me impressed

Kmenx
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Kmenx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:36 am

Kmenx wrote:
ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:
Kmenx wrote:

Depends if they only do it to bash on bisexuals/gays you just can't respond but if they are actually clueless you can try to explain it and that may work

What I mean is your friends may not like your sexuality but if they are gonna accuse you as a pedo maliciously just because of your sexuality then they shouldn't be that important in your life

Kmenx
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby ScorpioDiAngelo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am

But you have to understand. These have been the only friends in my life for the past six years. That's why it's so difficult for me to walk away from my church.

Spoiler:

ScorpioDiAngelo
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby James2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:00 pm

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:Allow me to rephrase my previous statement. I have been in the pentecostal movement for nearly six years now. I've seen and felt too much of it to ever try and go bavk and say there's nothing to it.

I'm not challenging the validity of your previous spiritual experiences. I'm only saying that the charismatic understanding of spirituality is incomplete (in a serious way) because it does not correctly understand spiritual desolation. Unless you believe (like the person you quoted) that your inclinations are the result of past sin, I don't see how you can rationally deny this.

So I guess my question is not "How can I reconcile my faith with my sexuality." My question, I suppose, is how can I come to peace with the fact that I am turning my back on my faith, which has been a major part of my life and has honestly helped me through so much.

You can't. You may eventually numb your conscience (though that would probably take a long time), but you can never find real peace while turning your back on God.
James2
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby ScorpioDiAngelo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 pm

You're right. Lifelong loneliness while serving a God that won't even set me free from what he's going to semd me to Hell for sounds so peaceful. It's almost like I should have thought to try this at some point during my last six years of trying to be a christian.

Spoiler:

ScorpioDiAngelo
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby James2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Have you been operating under the belief that, if you're faithful enough, God would set you free from same sex attraction?

Have you been operating under the belief that, if you were never freed from same sex attraction, it would cause your damnation, even if you never acted on it?
James2
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:59 am

Jesus didnt have a religion, there were no christians in his time, there was no christianity. Christianity was stolen by the catholic church, to control the masses who were turning away from Rome because their religion had better ideologies than Roman politics. What better way to keep the masses controlled (and paying their taxes) than to use their own religious ideologies as law? Overtime the religion has become corrupted to suit the political climate of the day over the last 2000 years, as can be proven by all the branches of christianity that separated from the catholic church over time, picking and choosing what was considered a sin and what wasnt.

Being gay was considered a sin, (much like contraception was considered a sin) because the christian religions wanted to remain a majority of the population, and for that, they needed to breed (and plunder)... out breed the muslims, jews and whatever else threatened their political systems. Now days fighting wars no longer takes men, it takes machines and technology, and the contraception ''laws'' have been removed becuase we no longer need to outnumber someone to be a threat.

You can believe in God, and not believe in religion. Jesus didnt believe in any religions of the day, thats for sure, to the point that he was crucified for blasphemy. Why? because he could see the corruption of man in all of the religions. If you want to live like Jesus, you would also acknowledge the corruption of man, and the corruption of religion as a result.

Love thy neighbour, was the only commandment Jesus gave the world. If your ''religious'' friends arent doing just that, then their religion has become corrupted.

Judge not lest ye be judged yourself.
Forget what religion has taught you. Its all corrupted. Your relationship with god is personal, god doesnt care if you listen to what a preacher tells you, the preacher is no more holier than you (thats the ego of man talking), god cares that you listen to what god tells you, and no preacher can tell you what god is saying to you, thats between you and god. Do you really believe an all loving god wants to smite you for being the way he made you? I mean, if your friends believe that, then thats their corruption... maybe god made you the way you are and put you there to test them....maybe so far, they are failing the test
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Vigilante
Vigilante

Return to Off-Topic Discussions