Is roleplaying considered a strategy?

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Is roleplaying considered a strategy?

Postby MR60G0LD » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:50 am

I mostly play casual and enjoy to roleplay as characters for fun (e.g. Satan, Springtrap, TwoFace, etc) however in my casual game I have found that I tend to do better when roleplaying as my actions are less suspicious, at worst there are some people who get annoyed by the roleplay but that's about it so I was wondering is roleplaying considered a strategy by some?

Also on a side note, when roleplaying I do not throw the game or anything, I just stick to the role and chat like it while still befitting my role (e.g. as Satan I once got Transporter and did really well as the transporter, however I still maintained a Satanic demeanor of viewing myself as above the rest and demanding obedience, all while saying who i transported and played the game as normal OR when roleplaying as TwoFace I kept bringing up the theme of coin flipping even having it as a death note since I was Godfather, however that doesn't mean i tried to throw as I had an excuse planned for if they chose me by saying "TwoFace is known for coin flips, why would I make a death note so obvious? they are trying to frame me". So just some fun while still doing the best I can at the game)
MR60G0LD
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Is roleplaying considered a strategy?

Postby Jerme » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:21 am

Greetings,

I do not view roleplaying as a strategy. It may be a fun thing to do during a game, as long as it does not break the game's rules. You need to be careful about the deathnote thing, though.
You are more than welcome to have fun playing the game, but don't set that above the rules.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Boredfan1 » Tue May 03, 2022 9:59 pm

Jerme wrote:Greetings,

I do not view roleplaying as a strategy. It may be a fun thing to do during a game, as long as it does not break the game's rules. You need to be careful about the deathnote thing, though.
You are more than welcome to have fun playing the game, but don't set that above the rules.

Why do you not consider it a strategy?
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Wed May 04, 2022 6:15 pm

Boredfan1 wrote:

Cause what benefit do you get from doing it? (Besides fun ofc)
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Boredfan1 » Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:
Boredfan1 wrote:

Cause what benefit do you get from doing it? (Besides fun ofc)

It depends on how you do it I guess.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby alex1234321 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:12 pm

I think you can get benefit from roleplaying. I don't role-play but I do sometimes take on different demeanors, usually based on my role but sometimes based on how I'm feeling. Like sometimes before the game I decide I'm gonna try a super aggressive playstyle regardless of what I roll and end up accusing either my scumreads if I roll Town or suspicious/dumb townies if I roll scum. Either way unusual playstyles tend to catch people off-guard and make you harder to read. Roleplaying wouldn't be much different since you are acting in a different way from how a typical player would behave as any role.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Return to Strategic Discussion