Shooting Revealed Mayor as Vigilante

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Shooting Revealed Mayor as Vigilante

Postby alex1234321 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:42 am

In the vast majority of cases, shooting a revealed Mayor as Vigilante is considered to be gamethrowing. Usually, it is only considered a valid play if that Mayor is gamethrowing or is extremely bad. But I was thinking about situations where it's actually a viable strategy to shoot the Mayor and no gamethrowing/really bad play is involved. Let's say that it's a 3v1 and there's a revealed Mayor. Other than that, nobody knows anyone else's role, but there are no TP claims. I know this would almost never happen in a real game, but it's supposed to be hypothetical. In most cases, the Mafia would kill the Mayor. If you shoot the Mayor, you're usually not going to cause any additional deaths, and the game is going to end the next day so guilt isn't an issue. The benefit of doing this is that now you're a confirmed Townie. Assuming that the players randomly lynch one of the unconfirmed players, the Town's chances of winning just increased from 33% to 50%. I'm not sure if this outweighs the risk of the Mafia killing someone else, but it is a possible strategy.

Does anyone else have any situations where it may be a viable strategy to shoot a revealed Mayor as Vigilante?
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Re: Shooting Revealed Mayor as Vigilante

Postby kosmo16 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 am

alex1234321 wrote:In the vast majority of cases, shooting a revealed Mayor as Vigilante is considered to be gamethrowing. Usually, it is only considered a valid play if that Mayor is gamethrowing or is extremely bad. But I was thinking about situations where it's actually a viable strategy to shoot the Mayor and no gamethrowing/really bad play is involved. Let's say that it's a 3v1 and there's a revealed Mayor. Other than that, nobody knows anyone else's role, but there are no TP claims. I know this would almost never happen in a real game, but it's supposed to be hypothetical. In most cases, the Mafia would kill the Mayor. If you shoot the Mayor, you're usually not going to cause any additional deaths, and the game is going to end the next day so guilt isn't an issue. The benefit of doing this is that now you're a confirmed Townie. Assuming that the players randomly lynch one of the unconfirmed players, the Town's chances of winning just increased from 33% to 50%. I'm not sure if this outweighs the risk of the Mafia killing someone else, but it is a possible strategy.

Does anyone else have any situations where it may be a viable strategy to shoot a revealed Mayor as Vigilante?

Yes. You shoot mayor without announcing the shot in this scenario:
Only Godfather left. Claims are Vigilante, Veteran, Doctor (confirmed), Mayor. Godfather(Veteran claim) kills mayor along with you and instead of 50/50 you win 100%. I would say it is low risk.
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Postby OreCreeper » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:31 am

There can also be times where there is a transporter, so when you shoot the mayor they can trans the shot into an evil. There could be a bmer, and you don't want to reveal who the trans is transing, for example.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 am

alex1234321 wrote:In the vast majority of cases, shooting a revealed Mayor as Vigilante is considered to be gamethrowing. Usually, it is only considered a valid play if that Mayor is gamethrowing or is extremely bad. But I was thinking about situations where it's actually a viable strategy to shoot the Mayor and no gamethrowing/really bad play is involved. Let's say that it's a 3v1 and there's a revealed Mayor. Other than that, nobody knows anyone else's role, but there are no TP claims. I know this would almost never happen in a real game, but it's supposed to be hypothetical. In most cases, the Mafia would kill the Mayor. If you shoot the Mayor, you're usually not going to cause any additional deaths, and the game is going to end the next day so guilt isn't an issue. The benefit of doing this is that now you're a confirmed Townie. Assuming that the players randomly lynch one of the unconfirmed players, the Town's chances of winning just increased from 33% to 50%. I'm not sure if this outweighs the risk of the Mafia killing someone else, but it is a possible strategy.

Problem with this

It is always a 50/50. because you know that you are town. Now you have confirmed that theres a vigi 2 things can happen:

- Maf claims vigi first, or CCs you. Remaining townie that hasnt claimed till a 2v1 has a 50/50 to decide which Vigi claim is the real deal.... good luck with that

- Maf has a different claim ready. You are confirmed. You now have a 50/50 to decide which townie is the dumb one that hasnt claimed until a 2v1. (no chance to go for draw if youre wrong)

Or you dont take the shot, maf kills mayor -
-Theres a 50/50 chance the other townie will vote with you ; )

Worst case scenario:
Maf realises a 2v1 with mayor wont be much different from a 2v1 with any other 2 town roles, it just going to be a 50/50 on who mayor decides to lynch. It just depends on which player the maf thinks he can sheep. Or if he can put sus on the non claiming townie.... I mean, if mayor is dumb, as maf, youre better off keeping him alive if he can be swayed into thinking the other guy is maf.
- In this case Maf win, and vigi gets reported for throwing.

kosmo16 wrote:Yes. You shoot mayor without announcing the shot in this scenario:
Only Godfather left. Claims are Vigilante, Veteran, Doctor (confirmed), Mayor. Godfather(Veteran claim) kills mayor along with you and instead of 50/50 you win 100%. I would say it is low risk.

- GF kills doc, weighing up whether doc has a self heal left or not... Mayor is left to decide between a vig (with 3 bullets remaining??? or ''I only hit immunes'') and a vet claim (that never killed while on alert?)..... as long as he kills a confirmed role and leaves 2 sus af claims standing, its a 50/50 (But we all know maf is going for the mayor) From maf POV its not any different whether doc or mayor makes the decision on who to lynch (the dumber the player, the better)....maf is always voting you and you are always voting maf.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby OreCreeper » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:49 am

kyuss420 wrote:
kosmo16 wrote:Yes. You shoot mayor without announcing the shot in this scenario:

- GF kills doc, weighing up whether doc has a self heal left or not... Mayor is left to decide between a vig (with 3 bullets remaining??? or ''I only hit immunes'') and a vet claim (that never killed while on alert?)..... as long as he kills a confirmed role and leaves 2 sus af claims standing, its a 50/50 (But we all know maf is going for the mayor) From maf POV its not any different whether doc or mayor makes the decision on who to lynch (the dumber the player, the better)....maf is always voting you and you are always voting maf.

Yeah but how often have you seen mafia not kill the mayor when given the chance? This is assuming that the GF will attack the mayor, which they most definitely will.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:10 am

OreCreeper wrote:
kyuss420 wrote:

Yeah but how often have you seen mafia not kill the mayor when given the chance? This is assuming that the GF will attack the mayor, which they most definitely will.

Yea, that was my point, but I have been known to not kill the mayor, because I can see that there is basically no difference. In that situation I would have claimed long before the 2v1 and said in chat things like ''I vote with mayor'' when trials begin, or ask him ''who are we voting today mayor?'' This makes it look like I am sided with him from an early point, when he is checking chat/voting logs. Also in coven, the other guy could be a silent trapper/crus/BG so hitting the mayor is just as much of a risk as taking him to the 50/50.

In a 2v1 theres always a dispute, and as evil you have to dispute the smarter player and let the dumb one make the mistake. If the mayor is the dumb one, then killing him is just a bad move. Sometimes you gotta play the players, not the roles.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Emily372 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 am

Town Traitor mode, when they suspect the mayor could be TT, or the Vigi is TT. A similar situation is provided for the Jailor.
Serial Killer has killed the TT Jailor... and now the Town has congratulated that serial killer for no reason.
That TT Jailor has a will covered in blood, making it unreadable...
Since there is no medium, the town lost to the SK.
Emily372
Witch
Witch

Postby Descender » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:07 pm

trial doesnt care about strategy being involved
if you shoot a mayor youre gonna get beaned
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EqsyLootz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:57 pm

Emily372 wrote:Town Traitor mode, when they suspect the mayor could be TT, or the Vigi is TT. A similar situation is provided for the Jailor.

why... do... you... keep... Necro... Posting... GOSH
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
General Salem Community Accomplishments.
~~Master Elo Ranked Player: 2.1k Elo~~
I'm also a damn Sunflower, Deal with it.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby LewisFaisal » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Descender wrote:

trial doesnt care about strategy being involved
if you shoot a mayor youre gonna get beaned

it's fucking wack but it's also true :(
LewisFaisal
Witch
Witch

Postby CloverPlayah » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:50 pm

alex1234321 wrote:Does anyone else have any situations where it may be a viable strategy to shoot a revealed Mayor as Vigilante?

The only real situation I can think of without repercussions is in the situation of a vampire game, around mid-game and such. And the Mayor can easily be tested for this said thing, but it's the only thing I can really think of.
CloverPlayah

Return to Strategic Discussion