Is Vigilante the Best Claim?

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Is Vigilante the Best Claim?

Postby RiceHatMan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:28 pm

This applies for mostly for Godfather, but also all Neutrals with Basic defense.

Strategy:
- Kill all Spies
- Keep a low profile. Don't speak too much or too little
- Claiming in whispers to Jailor asap if you want to be more credible and to prevent them from voting you in the future
- Don't claim publicly if no one asks, you will get cced for sure and it just speeds up the process of eliminating roles. Only do this if you are ccing another TK
- The real strategy comes in when someone ccs you. The town will be like "TK shoot each other to confirm" since you are immune, the only thing you need to do now is make sure there are no Spies to bug you or the Vigilante. This will save you a night and mislynch the Vigilante, since you can claim the Vigilante was immune. Note that if the Vigilante is confirmed, you won't be able to do this. This means it is good to cc any Vigilante claims before they get confirmed, giving you the opportunity to mislynch the Vigilante. This also assumes you whispered to Jailor, making you look more credible, even if it only shows on the Jailor's will
- If the other TK is a Veteran, you do the exact same thing. No one will die, the Veteran will claim to have alerted and you will have claimed to have shot them. If the Veteran is confirmed, you can't even claim TK anyway, so go find another claim or do this before they can confirm themselves
- If you are told by the Jailor to shoot someone, it's best to claim that they were to immune to save another day, they might actually be immune. Normally, you should be more proactive.

Godfather
- If you are Mafia, you can easily tell who is NK. Use that to your advantage and potentially confirm yourself. If Jailor tells you to kill your fellow Mafia, if there is confirmed Consort, make them rb no one and claim to have been rbed, bus the player you were supposed to kill, and confirm yourself as not Mafia
- If there are situations with two or more other TKs, use Forger if you can. If one of them is a confirmed Vigilante, forge their will to have said they shot the other non-confirmed TK. Otherwise, you need to act more credible and convince the Vigilante shoot the other non-confirmed TK
Neutral Killing
- If you are NK, try to find the Godfather to out them and confirm yourself. If you are SK, put suspicion on the jailed player if there is no SK kills (aka you attacked the GF) and also out the Godfather. If the jailed person is credible, it's safer to wait a day or find another opportunity to confirm yourself
- If you are any other NK, it is a good claim, just keep in mind you will need to scum read the Godfather if you want to confirm yourself using that way. If you are Arsonist you can bait the Godfather to attack you if there is no Mafioso, and claim to have shot them because you know who they are through passive dousing, or scum reading your douse list
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Re: Is Vigilante the Best Claim?

Postby cob709 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:13 pm

Vigilante is definitely the best claim when you're sheriff.

Day 1:
"I'm Vigilante, TP/LO on me"

Day 2:
whisper everyone for their roles
write stuff in your will
IF someone refuses to claim, say youre gonna shoot them
IF they still refuse to claim, investigate them at night

Day ???:
If on trial, then try to convince town that you really are vigilante.
However, town has discovered that you actually aren't vigilante, reveal yourself as sheriff.
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby OreCreeper » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 pm

cob709 wrote:Vigilante is definitely the best claim when you're sheriff.

Day 1:
"I'm Vigilante, TP/LO on me"

Day 2:
whisper everyone for their roles
write stuff in your will
IF someone refuses to claim, say youre gonna shoot them
IF they still refuse to claim, investigate them at night

Day ???:
If on trial, then try to convince town that you really are vigilante.
However, town has discovered that you actually aren't vigilante, reveal yourself as sheriff.

Nah vigilante is the best claim for mayor.

Day 2: some guy claims vigilante
"I cc TK"

Day 3:
They were shot by a Vigilante. Their role was Mayor.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Brilliand » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:37 pm

Harryyoshi wrote:- Kill all Spies

Focus-firing one of the less important Town roles just to give the Town a 1-for-1 in the lategame? Probably not worth it.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby RiceHatMan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:32 am

Brilliand wrote:Focus-firing one of the less important Town roles just to give the Town a 1-for-1 in the lategame? Probably not worth it.

Spies are a pain for Mafia anyway, and yes, a mislynch late game is crucial, maybe even more than killing the Jailor. Firstly, it wastes a night for a Vigilante, when they try to shoot you, and also gets rid of a TK when they mislynch. It also makes Vigilantes shoot you instead of your precious Mafioso, which is needed to counter Jailor late game.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby OreCreeper » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Harryyoshi wrote:
Brilliand wrote:Focus-firing one of the less important Town roles just to give the Town a 1-for-1 in the lategame? Probably not worth it.

Spies are a pain for Mafia anyway, and yes, a mislynch late game is crucial, maybe even more than killing the Jailor. Firstly, it wastes a night for a Vigilante, when they try to shoot you, and also gets rid of a TK when they mislynch. It also makes Vigilantes shoot you instead of your precious Mafioso, which is needed to counter Jailor late game.

Only a dumb vigi would always shoot their cc, and only a dumb mafioso would claim vigi (most of the time). Most players in high elo know this already so you don't really see people getting TKs to shoot each other as often, because it's a really dumb strat, especially since the meta has developed to the point where the only evils who would claim TK are immune evils or mafiosos when caught by an investigator. As vigi, I'd much rather shoot someone who has been really quiet or have been really sus with their voting over someone who claims TK and hasn't really been that susp.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby cob709 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:11 pm

OreCreeper wrote:
Harryyoshi wrote:

Only a dumb vigi would always shoot their cc, and only a dumb mafioso would claim vigi (most of the time). Most players in high elo know this already so you don't really see people getting TKs to shoot each other as often, because it's a really dumb strat, especially since the meta has developed to the point where the only evils who would claim TK are immune evils or mafiosos when caught by an investigator. As vigi, I'd much rather shoot someone who has been really quiet or have been really sus with their voting over someone who claims TK and hasn't really been that susp.

It's not dumb to claim vigilante. The strategy is all in the delivery
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby RiceHatMan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:27 am

OreCreeper wrote:Only a dumb vigi would always shoot their cc, and only a dumb mafioso would claim vigi (most of the time). Most players in high elo know this already so you don't really see people getting TKs to shoot each other as often, because it's a really dumb strat, especially since the meta has developed to the point where the only evils who would claim TK are immune evils or mafiosos when caught by an investigator. As vigi, I'd much rather shoot someone who has been really quiet or have been really sus with their voting over someone who claims TK and hasn't really been that susp.

If we are talking about high elo here, most evils know their best claim and the most suspicious person is probably you with no kills. Plus, early game, many good strategies for Town roles are to stay quiet, because you act like a NE or NK to Mafia, so they won't kill you. Examples of this are Medium (only day 2), Town Protective, unconfirmed Town Support. Normally in high elo, scum reading becomes harder and it becomes less reliable to scum read evil targets through being quiet or didn't vote up Mafia. You will probably target Town roles trying to stay under Mafia's radar. Of course, you could stray away from those that whisper to Jailor, but Mafia and Neutral Killing do that as much as Town in high elo. TKs shoot each other is the only strategy in many situations. It's Mafia and Neutral Killing's job to make sure no TKs are confirmed until late game, where Town is forced to deal with more than one unconfirmed TK. By the way, TP and TK are generally the last to be confirmed, and a TK's target is the other TK claim, TP claim, or unconfirmed TI. Shooting TP claims are riskier if they haven't had their chance to confirm themselves. Evils don't really claim TP in high elo, unless they have a chance to confirm themselves through Lookout without a Spy, or they were investigated. Unconfirmed TI is actually a good call, it's just that the fact that TK claims are lowering your targets is what makes you less effective. Anyway, TK claims are good because they hinder the other TK claim either way.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Joacgroso » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:12 pm

The only problem is that if you counterclaim vigi early, a witch might force you to suicide into the jailor. If there is a spy, you are screwed.
Personally I think investigator is a better claim because it has more potential to confirm or push whoever you like, at least if you are mafia.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Return to Strategic Discussion