Best Mafia moves

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Best Mafia moves

Postby cob709 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:06 am

Okay so, playing Mafia is difficult when there are a lot of TI roles so they need a way to control the information or prevent players from finding them.

Generally, players claim based on their investigated results, for example, a Godfather is most likely going to claim Bodyguard to appeal to the investigator, and a Mafioso would claim vigilante. This can be a huge problem for the mafia though since it's not a really good claim. Claiming these roles means they can't really push people without being seen as suspicious. Especially when you're pushing someone who has massively contributed for the town. Claiming vigilante would mean you're forced to shoot someone and then claim that they're immune, but town probably wouldn't believe you and then you get lynched or executed. A Godfather claiming Bodyguard will also probably backfire because there's always gonna be a Town Protective counterclaim, and then they're gonna just gonna hang both claims which isn't a good trade off for the Mafia. There's always a flaw when mafia roles claim to match investigative results because well, it's obvious.

Honestly, the investigator is probably the most powerful Town Investigative role(The Lookout is also quite good). But this role is also pretty difficult to play as or claim as because town will accuse you of being consigliere if you don't contribute a lot for the town. So this is a pretty tough option for mafia to claim.

Now, the Mafia needs to kill all Town while staying alive. So they will usually just stay quiet until they kill enough people. This however, is a horrible strategy because they become sitting ducks until Jailor or other Town Investigatives find them

Here's the real smart boi strat: CLAIM INVESTIGATOR OR SHERIFF! This is probably one of the best things you can do. But it still takes a lot of coordination with your teammates and you need to back each other off. Remember, the Mafia usually has 3 or 4 members, so that's like a quarter of the Town's votes. Mob mentality is extremely powerful tool for the Mafia to use. Usually in early game, town will literally accuse each other so Mafia should stay low until Day 3 or 4. Then, when town is low on numbers, the entire mafia should ALL come out as Sheriffs or Lookouts and work together to accuse. The mafioso or Godfather should claim sheriff and accuse one guy, then have the Random Mafias claim Lookout and post a fake will. This will 100% guarantee their target being lynched. Then the next night, assuming the Town Protective is dead, the mafia should kill the jailor or other Town Killing roles and then it's all smooth sailing from then.
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Re: Best Mafia moves

Postby dolphina » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:54 am

this "smart boi" strat is easily countered by vfr and the jailor's existence
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby cob709 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:01 pm

mafia usually controls VFR with their 4 votes
claim sheriff to jailor and hope for the best
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby dolphina » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:16 pm

sheriff is a scummy claim, and mafia almost never controls vfr
*ahem all the times I've been voted up by my own maf ahem*

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby CrimsonKatana » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:46 am

The best thing mafia needs to do is that they need their RM who isn't Consort unless they have 2 to claim Sheriff or Investigator D2 and call a non confirmed town evil and you need to have your GF back you up and claim investigator on you and that their results line up with your claim and you should try really hard to get that mislynch. If there's a consort then rb Jailor that night when they try to execute someone on your side... You could do it D3 too but you can not wait longer because that is how you lose and it depends on the situation...
There really was no light in my room and I really couldn't see my keyboard
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby dolphina » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:54 am

It mostly depends on elo I'm gonna be honest

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby kyuss420 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:49 am

The best thing mafia can do is target the townies in the correct order and hope for the best. Thats kinda #1 priority. Staying alive and outclaiming town #2. Even with the best claims, you still gonna lose if you dont get rid of the town in the right order....

Whats the correct targeting order? Idk... what roles do you want alive the most when youre town? What plays you make to keep those roles alive? If you know that, you should have half an idea how to counter town (if they dont confirm themselves too fast)
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby cob709 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Kill the smart people, then let the town kill each other.
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby dolphina » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:51 pm

cob709 wrote:Kill the smart people, then let the town kill each other.

that's how I play as mafia except they're always stupid so I just sit back and relax

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:03 am

cob709 wrote:Kill the smart people, then let the town kill each other.

Still gonna lose targeting a smart medium, over a dumb TP that knows how to click the jailor every night. or a dumb LO that knows how to click the TP. Especially if the smart medium cant do anything but vote in a 4v4, while the dumb TP is still clicking on jailor in that situation.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Return to Strategic Discussion