Has this EVER worked?

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Has this EVER worked?

Postby stealthking » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:56 pm

A mafia strategy that I’ve considered as a new player (and that I’m sure lots of other players have thought of at least once) is to pretend to be an investigative role and Lynch another member of the mafia to earn the towns trust. Short term loss for a long term gain.

However, this strategy is not nearly as good as it’s made out to be (and in fact, it’s so bad that I’ve seen people debate whether or not it counts as game throwing) because you are not only killing a fellow mafia member, but also drawing a ton of attention on yourself, even if people initially trust you). Not to mention that your fellow mafia members probably won’t go along with it and instead try to get you lynched, whether to save themselves, or out of spite.

What I want to know is, has anyone ever tried this and succeeded? As bad of a strategy as it is, it seems like something that COULD work, even if it’s one out of a million. So I’d like to know if anyone ever managed to win like this
stealthking
Jester
Jester

Re: Has this EVER worked?

Postby CrimsonKatana » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:43 pm

If you're gonna do it go all out claim Sheriff as GF and call every single one of your mafia sus day by day
There really was no light in my room and I really couldn't see my keyboard
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Sffc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:54 pm

It's..somewhat common. Depends on who you're playing against, because a smart player won't consider you "confirmed" just because you hung a mafia, especially if you're not actually helping town gather info. Furthermore, it creates the expectation that you will visit certain people (depending on what you claimed), and a smart TI would confirm whether or not you're actually visiting. And god forbid you visit someone that was jailed, claim to have visited that person and.. you get the point.

Then you have to consider that late game an extra vote is the difference between being able to hang/not being able to hang, and even if **you** get to the very late game, you may very well be alone against other confirmed townies... and you'd be the odd man out.
Sffc
Spy
Spy

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 pm

do it all the time with afks, sometimes youre ''confirmed'' other times not. Depends on the NKs too, SKs love to stab a sheriff claim
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby MysticMismagius » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 pm

I usually reserve bussing for team members who have asked to be bussed, or have been AFK for more than a day. The former, well they literally asked, and the latter aren't going to be very useful to you anyways. Teammates who have been flagrantly bad despite your efforts to correct them sound like viable candidates, but more likely than not they're also going to be the type that outs you out of spite, so I'd advise against it.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kosmo16 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:49 am

stealthking wrote:A mafia strategy that I’ve considered as a new player (and that I’m sure lots of other players have thought of at least once) is to pretend to be an investigative role and Lynch another member of the mafia to earn the towns trust. Short term loss for a long term gain.

However, this strategy is not nearly as good as it’s made out to be (and in fact, it’s so bad that I’ve seen people debate whether or not it counts as game throwing) because you are not only killing a fellow mafia member, but also drawing a ton of attention on yourself, even if people initially trust you). Not to mention that your fellow mafia members probably won’t go along with it and instead try to get you lynched, whether to save themselves, or out of spite.

What I want to know is, has anyone ever tried this and succeeded? As bad of a strategy as it is, it seems like something that COULD work, even if it’s one out of a million. So I’d like to know if anyone ever managed to win like this

Yes. That works really well in Towns with a lot of TIs. With a lot of TS you would be eventually lynched by poe.
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Postby EqsyLootz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:06 pm

Sometimes it's all too annoying though. Especially when GF just sucks.
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
General Salem Community Accomplishments.
~~Master Elo Ranked Player: 2.1k Elo~~
I'm also a damn Sunflower, Deal with it.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Return to Strategic Discussion