Overhauled Coven VIP guide

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Overhauled Coven VIP guide

Postby sarysa » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:44 am

I've been playing VIP mode for a long time, and the number of hours put into it is easily in four digit territory. I wrote a guide a long time ago, and while it was okay for its time, it had two major problems:
  • It's woefully outdated. Not only does it use the old ret mechanics and center around a more naive meta, but it also mentions a ton of old bugs that simply don't exist anymore. (the Trapper bug) It also doesn't mention the probably-never-gonna-be-fixed Pirate bug that has honestly become core to how VIP needs to be played now. (must...hold in...rant...)
  • It never even touched on the gaslighting that is common among advanced players. At the time, I avoided this for two reasons: I didn't know how to articulate it (the term "gaslighting" wasn't as widespread then) and I figured that other guides could do it better. Hell, not many players were even doing it to the level that nighttime VIP players do...I probably wrote it before T1NO had fully developed their shtick. This time around, I've written a fairly small section but one more focused to common VIP gaslighting techniques.

So here's the updated version, rewritten from the ground up and with its own URL. The one in my sig I need to update sooner or later. :p

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2465181300

I hope people find it useful, and I hope to see more new faces in VIP mode.
Favorite roles: Jailor, Executioner, Consigliere, Witch, Coven Leader, Guardian Angel
Least favorite: Framer, Disguiser, Jester
Most broken IMO:
Jester - Revert the 2.3.0 patch, give a swiss army knife of nighttime annoyance (ala Potion Master) to aid in fooling the town. Just some kind of agency.
Psychic - Game-breaking enough that I made a thread about it.

VIP - The one true mode.
sarysa
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Overhauled Coven VIP guide

Postby Joacgroso » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:13 am

I don't own the DLC, but VIP is one of the few reasons that tempt me to buy it. Thanks for taking the effort to write such a detailed guide!
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby sarysa » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:17 pm

Joacgroso wrote:I don't own the DLC, but VIP is one of the few reasons that tempt me to buy it.

Heck, there's not just VIP to be tempted by. Coven Town Traitor is kind of superior to VIP at this point, as there is a lot more that Coven and Town can do due to the increased claimspace. Those two modes offer alternate, but serious gameplay and have focused nighttime player bases who play to win. (neither are Ranked, but the regulars have mental rankings for who the best players are)

I'm tempted to write a guide about that one as well, but there's so much going on in CovTT that it would utterly dwarf the already massive guide that I posted above. Not sure if I have the energy.
Favorite roles: Jailor, Executioner, Consigliere, Witch, Coven Leader, Guardian Angel
Least favorite: Framer, Disguiser, Jester
Most broken IMO:
Jester - Revert the 2.3.0 patch, give a swiss army knife of nighttime annoyance (ala Potion Master) to aid in fooling the town. Just some kind of agency.
Psychic - Game-breaking enough that I made a thread about it.

VIP - The one true mode.
sarysa
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby kyuss420 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:52 am

Thats a pretty awesome guide.

Altho with the TP on TP chain breaking.... whoever crusader hits is purely RNG and not server client sided, have sent crus at themselves and killed the TP on them 1st attempt, 2nd attempt and 3rd attempt in different games (and they wont hit themselves) either 2 crus will both hit CL, controlled crus will hit CL and other will hit the controlled crus (who has protection since 2 crus are on him), controlled crus will hit other crus, other crus hits CL or both crus hit each other.... so in a crus on crus chain its a 50% chance of success, but theres 4 scenarios that can take place with 2 possible outcomes of it failing.

With a doc/crus chain, the crus will either hit CL or hit doc, still 50% chance, but only 2 possible scenarios occuring with 1 possible outcome of it failing

so its a 2 in 4 chance or a 1 in 2 chance....so you kinda have better chance of it working with a doc/crus, than a crus/crus, cos crus on crus has 2 scenarios of failure - same % tho, idk Im not a stats math guy lol
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby kyuss420 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:06 pm

here, I even took the 30 seconds out of my day and found the guide for you (on the first page of the strategies threads)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2465181300
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Return to Strategic Discussion