Login Recaptcha Not Working

Bugs that were fixed for all clients go here.

Login Recaptcha Not Working

Postby LordofFail » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:05 pm

I cannot log in to my account because the login recaptcha is not working properly.

I get the following error message:

Code: Select all
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/captcha/plugins/ReCaptcha/RequestMethod/Post.php on line 72: file_get_contents(https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/siteverify): failed to open stream: Connection timed out

I was logged in to my account from another device so I am able to post here, but I cannot access my account from my desktop or from my phone.

I have tried clearing the cache, resetting the password (multiple times), using a VPN, using other browsers, using other computers, using my phone (using cellular data and not wifi), resetting the router, rebooting the computer, nothing works.

Recaptcha even works on other sites.

Just not on these forums.

Oh, and I can login to the town of salem game just fine. Just not the forums because of the recaptcha thing.
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Re: Login Recaptcha Not Working

Postby TurdPile » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Do you get the error after attempting to login, or right on the login page? I'm not really understanding where the error is coming from since I manually added the code to the login page and made zero references to phpBB recaptcha plugin. Does the ReCaptcha on the password reset page work? That's using the exact same code as the login page.

Regardless, I've changed authentication method the forum uses; please try again
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby LordofFail » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 pm

I get the error when attempting to click login, most likely when submitting the form.

The recaptcha on the password reset page does work as I was able to reset my password multiple times earlier today.

Also it still doesn't work.

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby TurdPile » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:27 pm

LordofFail wrote:I get the error when attempting to click login, most likely when submitting the form.

The recaptcha on the password reset page does work as I was able to reset my password multiple times earlier today.

Also it still doesn't work.

Well the processing that you are getting post-login is only the processing that occurs for when an IP is failing multiple logins. I'm assuming you are on a VPN or a shared IP. Connection issues reading from Google isn't really something I can fix; especially when the implemented code that you confirmed working is the code that I implemented onto normal logins. The login you are getting is a different entity; the one the forum implemented, I've no clue.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby LordofFail » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:45 am

I did have multiple unsuccessful logins from my mobile, so that part isn't wrong.

I am not on a VPN. The IP is shared but I don't think anyone else with this IP uses the forums.

Is there a way to reset the unsuccessful login thing, or does it auto reset after a period of time?

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby TurdPile » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:48 am

LordofFail wrote:I did have multiple unsuccessful logins from my mobile, so that part isn't wrong.

I am not on a VPN. The IP is shared but I don't think anyone else with this IP uses the forums.

Is there a way to reset the unsuccessful login thing, or does it auto reset after a period of time?

Period of time but don't ask me what that is

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby LordofFail » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:19 pm

So after some searching it looks like users who have failed too many login attempts can sometimes just get locked out because captcha sucks like that.

(source: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2187955)

The solution from the support team is to manually reset the failed login counter to zero with a sql query
UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_login_attempts = 0 WHERE username = 'whoever';

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby TurdPile » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 am

LordofFail wrote:So after some searching it looks like users who have failed too many login attempts can sometimes just get locked out because captcha sucks like that.

(source: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2187955)

The solution from the support team is to manually reset the failed login counter to zero with a sql query
UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_login_attempts = 0 WHERE username = 'whoever';

Manual solutions are not a solution.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby LordofFail » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Guess I'll make an alt or wait out the login time then :|

On a somewhat related note, I'm not sure why there are two recaptcha's when you have too many failed logins, that seems a bit redundant. (and might be the reason why I can't log in because I don't think a form is supposed to have multiple recaptchas - not saying it can't, to be honest I have no idea, but when I search stuff about recaptcha there is no indication that there is any use of having more than one in a form, or that it was built to sustain having more than one in a form - but again, I've never implemented recaptchas and I haven't throughly read their documentation so I'll just wait for now since it doesn't look like there is any actual solution to this problem. I just hope it isn't affecting anyone else who doesn't have / know how to make an alt and wasn't logged in from another device and therefore has no way of reporting the issue :? )

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby LordofFail » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:33 pm

TurdPile wrote:
LordofFail wrote:I did have multiple unsuccessful logins from my mobile, so that part isn't wrong.

Period of time but don't ask me what that is

Are you 100% sure about there being a time limit?

From what I've read, unless there is some mod installed on the forum to explicitly set a reset time, failed login attempts never expire, so unless the double reCaptcha starts working this account might be permanently locked out if I ever decide to log out from this device.

...or if the forums log me out bc I'm logged out on other devices or something else goes wrong somewhere (which sometimes happens because phpbb does strange things sometimes - like randomly log me out on mobile).

Alternatively, if a reset time period has been established, can you try to find out what is it (or at least redirect me to someone who would know what that time limit is)?

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby LordofFail » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 am

Resolved.

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby Jerme » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:04 pm

I am moving this to fixed then, thanks for your update.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Fixed Bugs