Rootwalker (Town Investigative)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Rootwalker (Town Investigative)

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:40 am

Role Name: Rootwalker

Role Alignment: Town Investigative

Abilities:

Each night, you may watch one of the people you saw the previous night. You will see anyone they visit, and anyone who visits them.

Attributes:

• When you visit someone, you see who they visit (like a Tracker) and who visits them (like a Lookout).
  • You can only visit someone you saw in your results the previous night. On the first night, you can only stay home.
  • If you stay home, whether by choice or because something prevented you, you see everyone who visited you that night.
Notifications:

• Your target visited ____!"
  • "____ visited your target last night!"
  • "____ visited you last night!" (if visited while staying home)

Goal: Lynch every criminal and evildoer.

Win Conditions:
You win with the Town
You win with Survivors
You must kill the Mafia
You must kill the Coven
You must kill Serial Killers
You must kill Arsonists
You must kill Werewolves
You must kill Vampires
You may spare everyone else.

Special Attributes:
Attack: None
Defense: None

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Your target is not suspicious.
Investigator - Your target could be a Lookout, Forger, Witch, or Rootwalker.
Consigliere - Your target traces the connections between people. They must be a Rootwalker.

Additional Information:

This role's visits cannot be redirected by a Transporter.

This role started with the name, then I picked an ability to fit.

It feels very similar to Plaguebearer on a thematic level, but it plays very differently because the Plaguebearer is ultimately a killing role.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Re: Rootwalker (Town Investigative)

Postby Jackparrot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Interesting idea, however, I don’t think it could work.
1. It’s a combination of LO and tracker. Role combinations are usually frowned upon, as they are OP. This role can catch a fair bit of roles knowing who her target visited, and was visited by.

2. This role cannot act N1. The root walker is a TI, meaning it should be able to gather info n1, as they might be expected to share d2. This delays town’s ability to find evils.

3. The role is limited in who it can choose to visit. TIs should be able to visit anyone they want.

For the above reasons I must /nosupport

However, I do like the broad concept of the role. Being able to see who a player visited/was visited by is an interesting characteristic.
I am not as active as I used to be, although I should be somewhat active.
Jackparrot
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Rootwalker (Town Investigative)

Postby Brilliand » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm thinking this needs to be re-worked as a neutral role, with even more power but a town-hostile goal. However, there aren't many goals that would work with the limited visits. Perhaps a Coven role?

Role Name: Rootwalker

Role Alignment: Coven Evil

Abilities:

Each night, you may watch one of the people you saw the previous night. You will see anyone they visit, and anyone who visits them. You will then kill that person when moving to one of the people you saw.

Attributes:

• When you visit someone, you see who they visit (like a Tracker) and who visits them (like a Lookout).
  • You are limited in who you can visit. You can only visit Coven members, and players you saw in your previous night's results.
  • If you stay home, whether by choice or because something prevented you, you see everyone who visited you that night.
  • If you visit someone you saw in your previous night's results, you will deal a Powerful attack to whoever you visited the previous night (if that person wasn't a Coven member)
With Necronomicon:

• You are no longer limited to visiting people you saw the previous night. You can visit any player.
  • You will always deal a Powerful attack to the person you visited the previous night, if that person wasn't a Coven member.
Notifications:

• Your target visited ____!"
  • "____ visited your target last night!"
  • "____ visited you last night!" (if visited while staying home)

Goal: Kill all who would oppose the Coven.

Special Attributes:
Unique Role
Redirection Immunity (Transporter cannot change this role's target)
Detection Immunity (with the Necronomicon)
Attack: Powerful
Defense: None

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Your target is suspicious. (Innocent with Necronomicon)
Investigator - Your target could be a Investigator, Consigliere, Mayor, Tracker, Plaguebearer or Rootwalker.
Consigliere - Your target traces the connections between people. They must be a Rootwalker.

Additional Information:

A Bodyguard cannot defend against this role's attacks (because the attack isn't on the same night as the visit).

This role would compete with Medusa for the CL's N1 control, which is interesting.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Role Ideas