Apocalypse Survivor

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Brilliand » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 am

Role Name: Apocalypse Survivor

Role Alignment: Neutral Chaos

Abilities:
  • During the day, you can choose to hide in your bunker. While in your bunker, you have Powerful defense, and visits to you fail. You can't do this two nights in a row.
  • While in your bunker, you may choose one other person to invite into your bunker. The player you invite in will be able to visit you, ignoring your bunker. If they choose to do so, they will receive Powerful defense for the night.

Attributes:
  • On the first night of the game, you will be struck by lightning, dealing a Powerful attack.
  • You will automatically use your bunker on the first night, even if you didn't choose it.
  • Each night thereafter, the lightning counts 4 players down from its previous target, and strikes that person next. If it reaches the last player, it loops around from the top.
  • You will be informed each night who was struck by the bolt of lightning that you brought to the game.
  • You will always be a valid target for your lightning bolt, even if you are dead. Other players are only valid targets if they are alive.
  • Lightning cannot strike the same player two nights in a row. If the lighting would strike a player that was targeted by lightning the previous night, it simply doesn't strike that night.
  • Lightning cannot be redirected by a Transporter.
  • The draw timer does not start, and the game does not end, until the apocalypse is over.

Notifications:
  • At the start of N1, the Apocalypse survivor receives the message: "You hide in your bunker, knowing what is coming tonight."
  • Attempts to visit an Apocalypse Survivor in his bunker produce the same messages as visiting a jailed target (unless you were invited in, in which case you receive no message).
  • If 3 nights pass with no deaths, the town will see the message "You have successfully weathered the apocalypse", and the lightning will stop.
  • If the lightning strikes the Apocalypse Survivor, killing him, or if the lightning strikes the grave of a dead Apocalypse Survivor, the town will see the message "The lightning has returned to its source.", and the lightning will stop. This is guaranteed to happen if all players are dead.
  • An Apocalypse Survivor targeted by lightning in his bunker will see the message "Your bunker was struck by lightning!"
  • A player targeted by lightning in jail will see the message "The jailhouse was struck by lightning!"
  • If healed by a Doctor: "You were struck by lightning, but someone nursed you back to health!"
  • If Pestilence is struck by lightning: "You were struck by lightning. It kind of tickles."
  • If killed by the lightning: "You were struck by lightning. // You have died."

Goal: Survive to the end of the game.

Win Conditions:
You win with the Town.
You win with the Mafia
You win with Serial Killers
You win with Arsonists
You win with Werewolves
You win with Witches
You win with Survivors
You may spare anyone else.

Special Attributes:
Roleblock Immunity
Control Immunity

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Your target is not suspicious.
Investigator - Your target could be a Survivor, Vampire Hunter, Amnesiac, or Apocalypse Survivor.
Consigliere - Your target is prepared to weather an apocalypse. They must be an Apocalypse Survivor.

Achievements:

Community Effort: Weather the apocalypse with at least 10 players left alive
Sole Survivor: Be the only person left alive

Additional Information:

This is a repost of the Apocalypse Survivor role I made on reddit, which in turn was inspired by the song "Sole Survivor" by Blue Oyster Cult.

It would probably have to be its own chaos gamemode; it's too game-changing even for All Any.

Interaction with other roles:
  • The Jailor's jail overrides the Apocalypse Survivor's bunker.
  • A Doctor can heal the lightning
  • A Bodyguard cannot protect against lightning
  • A Transporter can redirect the lightning
  • A Spy's bug will see the lightning

Lore:

Doom rains down upon us all! This advanced survivor is ready to face these dark times.
Last edited by Brilliand on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
User avatar
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Brilliand » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 am

Chaos gamemode rolelist (classic)

  • Apocalypse Survivor
  • Apocalypse Survivor
  • Jailor
  • Doctor
  • Doctor
  • Witch
  • Witch
  • Transporter
  • Town Support
  • Town Investigative
  • Godfather
  • Consort
  • Consigliere
  • Town Killing
  • Random Town

Chaos gamemode rolelist (coven)

An Apocalypse rolelist just wouldn't be complete without Pestilence.

  • Apocalypse Survivor
  • Apocalypse Survivor
  • Doctor
  • Doctor
  • Doctor
  • Transporter
  • Investigator
  • Town Investigative
  • Jester
  • Coven Leader
  • Medusa
  • Potion Master
  • Plaguebearer
  • Guardian Angel
  • Guardian Angel
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
User avatar
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby greenrabbit7 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:37 am

MAN

this role is unbalanced but looks FUN!

/support
Image
User avatar
greenrabbit7
Bodyguard
Bodyguard
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: hiding from the Indonesian Government

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby LuckyBoi57 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 pm

Clever idea for a role.
/support
LuckyBoi57
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby DestructionII » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Ngl, but I'm really confused and looking at the abilities and attributes more than five times gave me a headache. Maybe its just cuz I am dumb.

At first it sounded like a different version of a Survivor+Doctor that manipulates the entire game with an "apocalypse", but I can't exactly clarify what this role does. Can you give an in-game scenario if it helps? Also, maybe change the name to make it sound better? I have some suggestions:

-Undertaker/Mortician/Refugee/Outcast/Asylum: Could also be good since this role "hides in a bunker" to evade an apocalypse. Refugee would be best to fit in its lore.
-Soothsayer/Clairvoyant/Oracle/Sibyl: Since these all relate to prophecy/the future and one of the notifications you mentioned was: "You hide in your bunker, knowing what is coming tonight.", the role sounds like it knows the future.
-Destinist/Stygian/Djinni/Portent/Vaticinator/Martyr: Stygian relates to the Underworld and you can change the context to make it fit this role's name, destiny as in "what the future holds", portent is an omen.
Game Username: xtallllll
Forum Username: DestructionII


Role proposals: Vector, Prosecutor, Pythoness
User avatar
DestructionII
Bodyguard
Bodyguard
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:15 pm
Location: In a world full of destruction...

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Brilliand » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 am

DestructionII wrote:Ngl, but I'm really confused and looking at the abilities and attributes more than five times gave me a headache. Maybe its just cuz I am dumb.

At first it sounded like a different version of a Survivor+Doctor that manipulates the entire game with an "apocalypse", but I can't exactly clarify what this role does. Can you give an in-game scenario if it helps?


It sounds like you got it about right. This role's presence in a game starts an "apocalypse" gamemode where a player is dealt a Powerful attack every night, in a completely predictable pattern.

In the meantime, the role itself functions as a Survivor, with a Powerful vest that has a 1-night cooldown instead of having limited uses. It also functions as a Doctor, though the way this works is a bit messy:
- He can only protect someone else on the nights when he protects himself.
- He can only protect visiting roles, and only when they choose to visit him.
- He doesn't protect himself from the person he chose to protect. If he protects a killing role, he dies. (He'd better not protect the Godfather!)

In-game scenario (in the form of an Apocalypse Survivor will):
N1: (Bunker, not protecting) [Struck by lightning]
N2: (Cooldown)
N3: (Bunker, protecting bluedude because he's the next lightning target)
N4: (Cooldown)
N5: (Waiting, because lighting will strike me tomorrow night)
N6: (Bunker, protecting supermonkey because why not) [Struck by lightning]
N7: (Cooldown)
N8: (Bunker, protecting iminurbase because he's the next lightning target)

...then this will shows up after "Killed by a member of the Mafia" the next morning, and everyone realizes that iminurbase is the Godfather.

DestructionII wrote:Also, maybe change the name to make it sound better? I have some suggestions:

-Undertaker/Mortician/Refugee/Outcast/Asylum: Could also be good since this role "hides in a bunker" to evade an apocalypse. Refugee would be best to fit in its lore.
-Soothsayer/Clairvoyant/Oracle/Sibyl: Since these all relate to prophecy/the future and one of the notifications you mentioned was: "You hide in your bunker, knowing what is coming tonight.", the role sounds like it knows the future.
-Destinist/Stygian/Djinni/Portent/Vaticinator/Martyr: Stygian relates to the Underworld and you can change the context to make it fit this role's name, destiny as in "what the future holds", portent is an omen.


These are all decent ideas, but Apocalypse Survivor actually sounds really awesome to me. It's a matter of taste, I get that.

I think of this role as a sort of prepper who heard about an upcoming apocalypse and took the rumor seriously. The emphasis is on bracing against the disaster, rather than on predicting it. Things like Clairvoyant would imply making this a Town role with no ability to self-protect, which... might also be fun.
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
User avatar
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby MorganTheMod » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 pm

/support

I realize this would work better as a game mode but I would like to see it in action with some all any games for some real chaos
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
User avatar
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby noveiia » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:13 pm

I really like this role.
I feel like it should also appear in all/any however as those games tend to be chaotic anyway.
RPG Alignment:
Spoiler: Image
FM Stats:
Spoiler: 100% - N/A
User avatar
noveiia
Civilian
Civilian
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Flakey112345 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:50 pm

wack
Flakey112345
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:11 am

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:58 am

It's interesting, here are my thoughts/questions:
  1. Will the lightning consider who dies at night in order to pick a target, or will it have high priority?
  2. I don't like the fact this role is confirmable by looking at who is 5 spots above the guy who was struck n2. This would make winning as this role extremely easy since no one would have any reason to kill you. The only reason I can think of is stopping the apocalypse, but since the apocalypse can't be stopped by killing the "as", it would be meaningless.
  3. Shouldn't this be an unique role?
  4. Since the apocalypse will stop once the bolt hits the as, I think some sort of "curse" should be added to its backstory.
  5. Will the protected person know they are being invited by an as (which would also easily confirm them), or will they have to visit them in order to see if they are actually as? (this could lead to interesting interactions with Medusa. Maybe that could be taken in account for the investigative results?).
  6. Will the invited person receive a notification if their house are struck by the lightning?
  7. The predictability of the bolt would turn transporters into OP vigilantes.
  8. Wouldn't it be totally unfair for the person who died n2 because of the lighting? No one except the as can possibly predict who is going to be struck, unlike with evil players whose attacks can be predicted (I guess we can ignore this one, though, since it's a NC role).
  9. Why would the as want to invite anyone to their bunker? There more people that die, the sooner the game will end, and the sooner the as wins.
Sorry if I have spelling mistakes. English is not my main language.
I added a petition to my achievement rework!
Plese come and vote to support it!
If you have any suggestions related to achievements, please post them on my thread so we can suggest them together!
Also, support my suggestion about private lobbies!It would definitely increase the playerbase.
User avatar
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Brilliand » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Joacgroso wrote:Will the lightning consider who dies at night in order to pick a target, or will it have high priority?


High priority.

Joacgroso wrote:I don't like the fact this role is confirmable by looking at who is 5 spots above the guy who was struck n2. This would make winning as this role extremely easy since no one would have any reason to kill you. The only reason I can think of is stopping the apocalypse, but since the apocalypse can't be stopped by killing the "as", it would be meaningless.


Killing the AS does stop the apocalypse after a little while (when the AS's turn comes up to be struck by lightning), so it isn't completely useless. Killing the AS to give the lightning a definite end might be easier than coordinating the town to ensure that no deaths happen for 3 nights. So the AS's job is to actively coordinate the defense against the lightning, to assure the town that the apocalypse can be stopped without him needing to die.

Joacgroso wrote:Shouldn't this be an unique role?


I put two of it in my proposed rolelists. I think two apocalypses going at once would be fun, in the right context.

I can see some merits to giving it Unique, though. It would make it easier to code, and make it slightly less impactful when it shows up in All Any.

So overall, I'm uncertain.

Joacgroso wrote:Since the apocalypse will stop once the bolt hits the as, I think some sort of "curse" should be added to its backstory.


That's a good idea. To keep perfectly in line with his current backstory, perhaps he has subconscious magical powers, and his extreme paranoia summoned the apocalypse?

Joacgroso wrote:Will the protected person know they are being invited by an as (which would also easily confirm them), or will they have to visit them in order to see if they are actually as? (this could lead to interesting interactions with Medusa. Maybe that could be taken in account for the investigative results?).


They would have to visit to find out. Since the AS is so confirmable in other ways, I don't think there's much room for a Medusa to make plays here, but maybe for N2?

Making the AS non-confirmable is probably not in the cards, since there are so many ways to confirm him.

Joacgroso wrote:Will the invited person receive a notification if their house are struck by the lightning?


Oh, I left that out... I think the invited person should receive the "Your bunker was struck by lightning!" message in this case.

Joacgroso wrote:The predictability of the bolt would turn transporters into OP vigilantes.


It would! But if they're killing their enemies, then they aren't weathering the apocalypse, and that could pose a problem if they're also letting the AS survive...

Joacgroso wrote:Wouldn't it be totally unfair for the person who died n2 because of the lighting? No one except the as can possibly predict who is going to be struck, unlike with evil players whose attacks can be predicted (I guess we can ignore this one, though, since it's a NC role).


Maybe the AS should warn them, then? It would help assure the town that he's not trying to play like a Serial Killer and kill everyone else.

Joacgroso wrote:Why would the as want to invite anyone to their bunker? There more people that die, the sooner the game will end, and the sooner the as wins.


The "invite" feature is meant to allow the AS to participate in protecting the other players from the lightning, helping to end the apocalypse via 3 nights with no deaths.

If the AS goes the route of trying to kill off the other players to end the game quickly, then he's probably looking at a solo AS win, and that's a threat the other players can't ignore.

While technically the AS can win with anyone, the fact that the game cannot end while the apocalypse is going makes it very likely that everyone but the AS will die if there's just one or two people hanging on and trying to win with him after a mass slaughter.

(I should probably modify the "lightning can't strike twice" rule to make this outcome more certain, since as it stands there's a chance the lightning gets stuck only targeting the AS when there are 2 players left.)
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
User avatar
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Brilliand wrote:Killing the AS does stop the apocalypse after a little while (when the AS's turn comes up to be struck by lightning), so it isn't completely useless. Killing the AS to give the lightning a definite end might be easier than coordinating the town to ensure that no deaths happen for 3 nights. So the AS's job is to actively coordinate the defense against the lightning, to assure the town that the apocalypse can be stopped without him needing to die.

But it would take quite a lot of time, especially if the AS is skipped. It wouldn't be worth anyone's time, especially since no one needs to kill the AS in order to win (town can just wait until the end an coordinate with him to protect the right targets after all other factions are dead). Also, you're implying AS will try to stop the apocalypse, but that's completely out of their control. Even if they protect the right and predictable people, maf, coven and NKs will still kill. The only way to stop the killings would be eliminating them all, but at that point the game would end and the AS would win anyway. Also, being so easily confirmable is a big problem regarding this role in my opinion. Even if other players decided to kill the AS to stop the apocalypse, the AS would be completely defenseless against that as they would be known by everyone.
Joacgroso wrote:Shouldn't this be an unique role?


Brilliand wrote:They would have to visit to find out. Since the AS is so confirmable in other ways, I don't think there's much room for a Medusa to make plays here, but maybe for N2?

Making the AS non-confirmable is probably not in the cards, since there are so many ways to confirm him.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. Medusa's only hope would be to bait via whispers.

Brilliand wrote:It would! But if they're killing their enemies, then they aren't weathering the apocalypse, and that could pose a problem if they're also letting the AS survive...

But town has no reason to stop the apocalypse early. They can just focus on other factions and then coordinate their TP with the AS in order to stop the apocalypse, or just lynch the helpess AS without him being able to do anything about it. I still think being able to give a powerful attack each night without guilt is too strong for transporters, but since this is a NC I guess it doesn't have to be that balanced. It's just that I feel they are too townsided.

Brilliand wrote:Maybe the AS should warn them, then? It would help assure the town that he's not trying to play like a Serial Killer and kill everyone else.

Right, that's true. They are going to be confirmed anyway. But why would they want to play like a serial killer when they can only prevent deaths and not cause them? And how would they actually play as a nk when town knows their identity since day 3? It would also be way riskier for them, since they want to live.

Brilliand wrote:The "invite" feature is meant to allow the AS to participate in protecting the other players from the lightning, helping to end the apocalypse via 3 nights with no deaths.

If the AS goes the route of trying to kill off the other players to end the game quickly, then he's probably looking at a solo AS win, and that's a threat the other players can't ignore.

While technically the AS can win with anyone, the fact that the game cannot end while the apocalypse is going makes it very likely that everyone but the AS will die if there's just one or two people hanging on and trying to win with him after a mass slaughter.

(I should probably modify the "lightning can't strike twice" rule to make this outcome more certain, since as it stands there's a chance the lightning gets stuck only targeting the AS when there are 2 players left.)

Yes, I forgot about the "game can't end as long as the apocalypse occurs" rule when I wrote that. Still, the sooner the game ends, the sooner the AS can coordinate with the last faction in order to stop the apocalyse. At least if the last faction is the town or the coven with a PM. Otherwise the AS is hopeless. The thing is that there's nothing the AS can really do to stop the apocalypse by himself, and that's a big problem regarding the role. And even if the AS does that, he can't just prevent other roles from killing, and the other roles wouldn't just stop killing because of the apocalypse, since that would give town an enormous advantage over them.
Also, I feel like although this role could be interesting to play against, it wouldn't be as fun to play as, since you only have to protect whoever the game tells you to protect and try to guess wheter they will kill you or not. You can't even lie, even through you're neutral. That's another problem, since ToS is about deception.
Sorry if I have spelling mistakes. English is not my main language.
I added a petition to my achievement rework!
Plese come and vote to support it!
If you have any suggestions related to achievements, please post them on my thread so we can suggest them together!
Also, support my suggestion about private lobbies!It would definitely increase the playerbase.
User avatar
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Brilliand » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:29 am

Joacgroso wrote:But town has no reason to stop the apocalypse early. They can just focus on other factions and then coordinate their TP with the AS in order to stop the apocalypse, or just lynch the helpess AS without him being able to do anything about it. I still think being able to give a powerful attack each night without guilt is too strong for transporters, but since this is a NC I guess it doesn't have to be that balanced. It's just that I feel they are too townsided.


In that case the lightning should probably bypass transports to always hit the player it aimed at. That way the Transporter is stuck moving protection around (or fending off witches), rather than moving the kills around.

Joacgroso wrote:Also, being so easily confirmable is a big problem regarding this role in my opinion. Even if other players decided to kill the AS to stop the apocalypse, the AS would be completely defenseless against that as they would be known by everyone.


Joacgroso wrote:Still, the sooner the game ends, the sooner the AS can coordinate with the last faction in order to stop the apocalyse. At least if the last faction is the town or the coven with a PM. Otherwise the AS is hopeless. The thing is that there's nothing the AS can really do to stop the apocalypse by himself, and that's a big problem regarding the role. And even if the AS does that, he can't just prevent other roles from killing, and the other roles wouldn't just stop killing because of the apocalypse, since that would give town an enormous advantage over them.
Also, I feel like although this role could be interesting to play against, it wouldn't be as fun to play as, since you only have to protect whoever the game tells you to protect and try to guess wheter they will kill you or not. You can't even lie, even through you're neutral. That's another problem, since ToS is about deception.


You make some good points here. Perhaps I can make it possible to lie about being the AS...
  • Whenever the lightning strikes his bunker, he can choose which player the lightning will strike next. This is particularly useful on night 1, so that it doesn't have to count starting with him.
  • When he protects a player, he doesn't "invite" that player; instead he moves his bunker onto that player for the night. That player is protected, and guarded against visits. The Apocalypse Survivor has no protection while protecting someone else.

That makes it possible to falsely claim not to be the AS, and gives the AS some more Neutral Killing tendencies.

I'm not sure how much of an improvement these are; what do you think?
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
User avatar
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:21 am

Preventing transporters from transporting lightinings, even if they can still transport other visits, seems fine.
Also, what do you mean by "whenever the lightning strikes his bunker"? Does that mean the lightining has to strike the AS's house, or just any house that is being protected by the AS? If that were the case, AS would become even more townsided since now they would be able to actively hunt mafia without any repercussions, since they can't win with mafia anyway. Being able to choose who to protect instead of protecting yourself does sound better.
Alternatively, maybe the lightning should strike a random player n1 and then follow the pattern you suggested. That player should receive a warning at the start of day 1 so they can tell the town they will be hit if they want.
Sorry if I have spelling mistakes. English is not my main language.
I added a petition to my achievement rework!
Plese come and vote to support it!
If you have any suggestions related to achievements, please post them on my thread so we can suggest them together!
Also, support my suggestion about private lobbies!It would definitely increase the playerbase.
User avatar
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Apocalypse Survivor

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 am

Holy wack, when did this get bumped.

On-site FM Record: 8-0-10
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: XX7 - Tracker/Detective/Sheriff/Lookout - Win
Latest Scum Game: 20H - Caporegime/Janitor - Loss
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 20.07.20 AEST


User avatar
JacksonVirgo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 am
Location: Australia (AEST)


Return to Role Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests