Poltergeist

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Poltergeist

Postby QTmcwee » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Poltergeist || Neutral Killing
You are a malicious entity, whose bitter resentment locks you to the mortal plane.

Should this role be Unique? I'm assuming yes.

Attack: Powerful || Defense: None

Abilities:
-You may choose to Haunt a Player on Hollow-Moons.

Attributes:
-You will Rampage Haunt.
-You cannot be Roleblocked or Controlled.
-You will Haunt players visiting you. <===I'm not sure if they should be able to do this. Probably not tbh... Idk, what do you think? Probs too OP :shock:
-You can read and speak in Dead Chat as "Poltergeist". <===Mediums can read what you say and vice versa. Again, idk, what do you think? It fits what a Poltergeist can do... Maybe they can only read Dead Chat. 8-)

Haunt: A Long and terrifying endeavor. Players who are Haunted will have until the next night to live. Players will learn they have been Haunted at the beginning of the night they are to die. A Doctor can heal a Haunted player. <===Should the Doctor be able to do this? I think yes. Also I feel like the Poltergeist will Haunt a Jailed player + Jailor... Maybe? :?
Hollow-Moons: Odd nights, "No Moons" "Dark Moons".

To dispel a Poltergeist: <===Don't say this is too OP. It's nearly identical to how you would kill any NK. (Other than the Med, HM thing.) :geek:
  • A Jailor must Jail and Execute a Poltergeist. Or the Poltergeist will Haunt the Jailor (On Hollow-Moons).
  • A Medium must Seance a Poltergeist. <===I really want to do something with a Medium. However it poses a Medium Dilemma: Kill a Poltergeist OR Give the Living Information. This might also give the Poltergeist an Unfair Disadvantage. What do you think? Keep or Reject?
  • A Hex Master must Hex them with the Necronomicon. The Poltergeist will learn the Name of the Hex Master if they Hex them without the Necronomicon.
  • Public Lynch.
NOTE: If the Poltergeist has Haunted all the living town, they cannot be dispelled. They can be Publicly Lynched, but the Poltergeist will still Win if this happens :twisted:
SECONDARY NOTE: The Coven Leader cannnot Control the Poltergeist, nor dispel it. If the Necromancers Zombies and Ghouls targeted a Poltergeist, they will instead perform their action upon the Necromancer. If these Coven visit you without the Necronomicon: Hex Master, Coven Leader, Necromancer, then you will learn their names.

Notifications: A Poltergeist cannot die to any role other than the listed ones above. Players that attack a Poltergeist will receive 1) no notification. 2) Your attack went straight through your target without affecting them. As though they were a ghost.
Roles that receive the "1)" notification:
Mafioso/Ambusher/Vigilante/Pirate/Bodyguard/Arsonist/Vampire/Potion Master/Necromancer/Trapper/Poisoner
Roles that receive the "2)" notification:
Godfather/Serial Killer/Werewolf/Jester/Veteran/Crusader/Coven Leader/Medusa <===Should no role will receive a notification, or should all roles? :?

Results: A Poltergeist cannot be seen visiting a player by a Tracker or Lookout. A Lookout however can see "events" occur at a Poltergeist's home on a Hollow-Moon. <===This might be unfair to the Tracker. The Poltergeist seems here to be a Hard-Counter to the Tracker. So, should this happen? (just to throw shade, but an Invest is a Hard-Counter to a Juggernaut... js.)
  • A Sheriff will find them as NS. <===Should this be similar to a Werewolf find? Meaning they are NS on Full-Moons but will appear as Poltergeist on Hollow-Moons?
  • An Investigator will find them as: (_______/_______/_______/_______/________) <===No idea. Lol.
  • A Consigliere will find them as: Your target seems to be incorporeal, they must be a Poltergeist!
  • A Potion Master: Your target is a Poltergeist!
  • A Coven Leader: Your target is a Medium.
  • A Psychic: (Poltergeist will appear as Good) <===Again, possibly a Hard-Counter to a Town Investigative...
  • A Spy bugging a Poltergeist or a Haunted: Your bugs broke before you could see what happened. <===I like this idea tbh. However it can work just as easily the other way around. "Your target was Haunted by a Poltergeist." Both when a Poltergeist visits and kills.
  • A Lookout watching a Poltergeist on a Hollow-Moon or a Haunted: You saw a smokey figure dance in the house. <===Adds suspicion, however it would be kinda easy to find the Poltergeist.
(This text is here to make this space in between these paragraphs (the above paragraph and the below paragraph) not look as out of place and weird. Trust me, it looks like a massive rift without this, and it bugs me :lol:.)

Dialogs:
You have decided to haunt (Player Name)'s home tonight.
You haunted someone. <===There can be multiple of these dialog boxes. Similar to a WW Rampage.
(Coven Leaders Name) tried to Control you last night.
(Hex Masters Name) tried to Hex you last night.
(Necromancers Name) summoned a zombie to attack you last night.
Medium: Sup dead.

You are being haunted by a Poltergeist. <===To victims on the night they die. Should this be changed to when the Poltergeist visits?
You were haunted by a Poltergeist. You have died.
We found (Player Name) dead in their home last night. They were haunted by a Poltergeist.

You saw strange events take place at (Haunted Player/Poltergeist Player)'s home last night.

The Poltergeist visited (Player Name('s)) last night. <===To a Medium. But who knows. This is like the Spy sooo. No? Idk, I like it, it makes sense... but too OP?

Poltergeist: Sup living.

Goal: Standard NK Win. (Please don't say "OP Poisoner", even though this is like a Poisoner w/ an Opposite WW Rampage and a mild detection immunity buff.)

If I missed anything, contradicted something, or rather if you find it too OP, please highlight/quote the text where you found that! :P it helps a lot more than you just ranting. :D ty!
"... And I'm baiting all the haters like a paranoid Veteran. Been racking up that ELO, but now, what's the point of lying? When I'm uploading a game, while that game is slowly dying. Shots Fired." - Miss Medi, Channel Trailer Rap.
QTmcwee

Re: Poltergeist

Postby QTmcwee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:26 pm

walkerh13 wrote:This is insanely OP ("please don't say this role is too OP" lmao). I have quite a few problems with this role. 1) Why can it only be killed by 3 roles at night? This means that it has invincible defense at night outside of those roles, which is extremely unfair because it can kill Veterans, not die to Bodyguards, and withstand other Powerful attacks that the other NK roles can't. The entire concept of only 3 roles that can kill it seems to just be there for the lore. I would give it basic defense so that it's consistent with all of the other NK roles. 2) Being able to rampage haunt (or poison, rather) without risk of dying from a Bodyguard or being detected by a Lookout makes this role completely broken. Imagine if the Jailor reveals D1 and 5 targets visit the Jailor, and the Poltergeist haunts/poisons them all. By the next night, they're all dead, and town has lost the game. 3) The Poltergeist shouldn't have detection immunity against any TI role other than the Sheriff. A Psychic shouldn't have to account for a Poltergeist in their results, which could completely mess its results up. Also, I believe that the results for the Consigliere and Witch/Coven Leader are the same, so why have detection immunity against one and not the other. And fyi med/jan/ret/nm/trap would be the best investigative result for Poltergeist because it can read dead chat just like the Medium. 4) Targets visiting the Poltergeist should definitely NOT be haunted/poisoned. This would immediately out the Poltergeist, especially if they die on a Hollow Moon, meaning that they would have had to have visited the Poltergeist, not the other way around. 5) Haunted/poisoned targets should learn that they have been haunted/poisoned the night that it happens, not the beginning of the night after. This way they can inform a Doctor to heal them; otherwise there's no point. 6) This role seems like it's much stronger against Coven than Mafia with all of the weaknesses you mentioned Coven having against it. Balanced roles should be equally strong against both factions. 7) By the time he has haunted all of the remaining townies, he has pretty much won the game, so why even put that alternate win condition in for him?

With a bit of a rework, it can be good, but for now /no support.

1) Basic Defense Yes. I suppose I neglected BG/Crus/Vet/Trap/WW/Arson however that would be 6 additional roles that could kill this. I'm fine with it. But still, it's basically identical to any NK. I suppose I forgot to add that.

2) First of all, the player cannot be found on a Hallow-Moon (No-Moon), any other night the Lookout will see Haunted Players and the Poltergeist "dance". This is similar to WW with detect immunity to Sheriff. Perhaps the Sheriff finds it as well then? Again the Lookout basically becomes the Sheriff / Werewolf thing.

3) Psychics: Sure, they shouldn't have to account for the Poltergeist. Witch/CL/Consig thing: I dunno. Sure let them receive the same information.

4) Confused... This is the exact same as Werewolf except instead on Full-Moons being killed, it's No-Moons.

5) I was thinking about that. It doesn't make sense for it to be "Undetectable" unless it follows an Arson/HM template, even then those change a players possible Roles.

6) I didn't want to make it seem that way, I suppose though it does, I wanted it to affect them, but I suppose it shouldn't. (Give some ideas or something, considering you find it foul, add some of your thoughts as to change it.) (You read the beginning part of the end, but I'm not sure you read the last of it.)

7) That's not an alternate win condition? I knew someone would pry at that example. It's similar to a Hex Master let's say. As soon as all living players are haunted, they all die.
"... And I'm baiting all the haters like a paranoid Veteran. Been racking up that ELO, but now, what's the point of lying? When I'm uploading a game, while that game is slowly dying. Shots Fired." - Miss Medi, Channel Trailer Rap.
QTmcwee

Return to Role Ideas