Possessor (maf)

Old Role Ideas

Possessor, yea or nay?

Yea
2
67%
Nay
0
No votes
Needs tweaking (please comment)
1
33%
 
Total votes : 3

Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 pm

Role Name:

Possessor

Role Alignment:

Mafia
Support/Deception (?)

Flavour text:
Spoiler: You are an evil spirit of a dead mafia member who has possessed the body of your last victim. However you can't abide a physical form for long and want to "die" as soon as you can. Choose a time to leave this mortal coil and then your real powers start.

Abilities:
Spoiler: Can choose to “die” and possess a non Mafia at night to then control them during the day.

Attributes:
Spoiler: - Cannot possess Mafia members.
- Controls chat and voting of target the next day.
- Ability only lasts one day.
- Can only possess 3 times*.

Goal:
Spoiler: Kill anyone that doesn’t submit to Mafia
Wins with:
Spoiler: Mafia/Survivor/Witch/Guardian Angel/Pirate

Special Attributes:
Spoiler: - Mafia Chat**
- Graveyard Chat (once “dead”)
- Becomes Mafioso when Mafia Killing are dead
- Unique Role.


Investigative Results:

Spoiler: Sheriff: Your target is a member of the Mafia.
Investigator: Your target could be a Medium, Janitor, Possessor or Retributionist.
Consig: Your target is a vengeful spirit, loyal to the mafia. They must be a Possessor.

Possessed target's investigative Results:

Sheriff: Your target is (whatever the target’s true role is)
Investigator: Your target could be a Medium, Janitor, Possessor or Retributionist.
Consig: Your target is (whatever their true role is)


Additional Information:
Spoiler: Possessor

-You cannot interact with either the Mafia Chat or the Graveyard Chat
- If you are killed before you decide to leave your initial host, you will not be able to use your abilities and will join the dead proper.
- When you leave your initial host you will appear in the graveyard as cleaned. Your cause of death will be "Killed by the Mafia" so you'll have to co-ordinate with your fellow Mafia when you choose to die.
- The Retributionist will not be able to revive you at any point.
- The spy would see your visit to your target
- Like the Blackmailer, the Possessor can choose to possess the same person consecutive nights, but you don't have to possess someone every night.
- Once the Possessor has used up all their possessions they officially join the dead and can participate in the Graveyard Chat.
the Town will not get notified when this happens, but the Mafia will.

The target

- Your target will get a notification that they have been possessed at the end of the night phase (“You feel a cold presence fill you. You have been possessed!) and they are roleblocked***.
- The possessed Town member will be able to perform their night activities as normal the night following their being possessed, but they will have the investigative results of the Possessor. However they wont show up as Mafia to the Sheriff. The Consig would see the Possessor's target as their actual role.
- If the possessed Town member is killed the same night they are possessed (this includes from the player leaving) then the Possessor has effectively wasted a possession****.
- If the possessed player leaves in the middle of the day then the Possessor will not be able to continue that day and must wait for the night phase to begin again.




* Or maybe 4 times? idk lol
** Idk whether the surviving mafia would be able to see who the Possessor has targeted every night, or if maybe on N1 they establish a code word or something? If the mafia don't know who's possessed then a notification could show for the consig after their targets role ala "Your target is possessed!"
*** When you successfully possess someone you could be notified of their role? Or not, might make it more fun/tricky lol
**** If you target dies the same night you possess them, then maybe you could control their dead chat for the night? Just so it's not a completely wasted possession!


Would obviously work best with a Janitor too, but i imagine it being something like, they possess a confirmed Sheriff or Invest and use it to say they found someone suspicious etc and get that person lynched or to act suspicious themselves in the hopes of convincing people that they are an exe or jester. The person playing as the possessor would have to be careful to mimick the writing style of their target or something. Also Evil roles might claim that they were possessed if they're caught voting "wrong" or messing up a role call or something.

Anyway, this is not only my first time presenting a role idea, but also my first ever post! :) Feedback/critique/questions welcome :)

(Edited to fix the format lol)
Edit: Some suggested changes:

- Limit number of possessions to 2
- Make possessor control either chat or vote but not both
- Cannot decide when to "die" must be killed or lynched
- Original host would show up in graveyard as Possessor/mafia (to limit false reports if the possessor decides to spam or break the rules while possessing)
Last edited by Mermylermy on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:11 pm

am I allowed to bump?.... imma bump lol
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Tsavoriteprince » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Quite interesting, fits the Coven theme well.
Tsavoriteprince
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby MafiaMenace » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Ummmmm, what?
This has the problem that the old disguiser had.
It messes with the Trial System.

Check out Mystoc's Jinn role on how to make a role like this properly.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78692
Image


Hosted FM Games:
  • VFM30 (Town Wins)
  • SFM45 (Town Wins)
  • VFM39 (Mafia Wins)
User avatar
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Somewhere in the deep, dark, depths of Canada. (UTC -7)

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm

MafiaMenace wrote:Ummmmm, what?
This has the problem that the old disguiser had.
It messes with the Trial System.

Check out Mystoc's Jinn role on how to make a role like this properly.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78692


Hey thanks for replying ☺️

I’m relatively new so idk what the disguiser was like before? Do you have a thread to link about that? I’d like to have a look ☺️

Also I had a read of the jinn thread and I can’t say I agree lol I feel like giving the option for both killing and controlling someone is too op. That’s why I decided to make this role non lethal more of a mischievous mafia instead of my first thought of NE or NK.

As for the trial system, like I said before I wasn’t aware that there was isssues surrounding that especially as there’s no mention of it in the role idea guidelines (at least not that I saw?) but if it is an issue then it’s simple enough to just say you can’t vote while possessing?

Thanks again and if you have any constructive feedback please let me know! ☺️
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby MafiaMenace » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:50 pm

I don't believe there is a thread pertaining to the specifics of the old disguiser.
But when the Possessor possesses someone they can, lets say, spam in that persons body which will lead to a misleading report.

Okay.
Lets say Player A is Possessor, Player B is Town.
Player A possesses Player B. (signified with Player B[A])
Player B[A] spams in chat causing people to report Player B, who did nothing wrong.
Player B gets banned/suspended instead of Player A.
Image


Hosted FM Games:
  • VFM30 (Town Wins)
  • SFM45 (Town Wins)
  • VFM39 (Mafia Wins)
User avatar
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Somewhere in the deep, dark, depths of Canada. (UTC -7)

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:45 am

MafiaMenace wrote:I don't believe there is a thread pertaining to the specifics of the old disguiser.
But when the Possessor possesses someone they can, lets say, spam in that persons body which will lead to a misleading report.

Okay.
Lets say Player A is Possessor, Player B is Town.
Player A possesses Player B. (signified with Player B[A])
Player B[A] spams in chat causing people to report Player B, who did nothing wrong.
Player B gets banned/suspended instead of Player A.


But surely the team reviewing the report would be able to see that Player B has been possessed? After all they are notified at the end of the night. But also, if the possessor was a suspected role, then surely people would figure out that the spamming was the result of the possessor? especially if that Player B hadn't been spamming before. Then at the end of the game, once they know who the possessor was, they can report person A instead.

I mean, this is presuming people spam. The goal surely is to create a role that people will play correctly lol.
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Cirque » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am

MafiaMenace wrote:Ummmmm, what?
This has the problem that the old disguiser had.
It messes with the Trial System.

Check out Mystoc's Jinn role on how to make a role like this properly.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78692

If you're in the trial system you can easily tell if somebody disguised as you
I didn't read the role bc the formatting needs fixing and I'm not skimming through that
Image

FM Record: 8 - 1
User avatar
Cirque
Mayor
Mayor
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:20 pm
Location: Netflix

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:36 am

Cirque wrote:If you're in the trial system you can easily tell if somebody disguised as you
I didn't read the role bc the formatting needs fixing and I'm not skimming through that


What is the trial system? at first I thought it was like the lynching vote part but now i think it's not haha

also how can I improve the format? I'd like it to be as easily read as possible :)
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:22 am

Edited to fix the format! (I was on mobile when looking at the rules/guidelines so must have missed the one that says how to format it haha) no more walls of text lol
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby MafiaMenace » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Cirque wrote:
MafiaMenace wrote:Ummmmm, what?
This has the problem that the old disguiser had.
It messes with the Trial System.

Check out Mystoc's Jinn role on how to make a role like this properly.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78692

If you're in the trial system you can easily tell if somebody disguised as you
I didn't read the role bc the formatting needs fixing and I'm not skimming through that


Yeah you can ask for an appeal, but after you are banned/suspended
Image


Hosted FM Games:
  • VFM30 (Town Wins)
  • SFM45 (Town Wins)
  • VFM39 (Mafia Wins)
User avatar
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Somewhere in the deep, dark, depths of Canada. (UTC -7)

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby MafiaMenace » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

MafiaMenace wrote:
Cirque wrote:
MafiaMenace wrote:Ummmmm, what?
This has the problem that the old disguiser had.
It messes with the Trial System.

Check out Mystoc's Jinn role on how to make a role like this properly.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78692

If you're in the trial system you can easily tell if somebody disguised as you
I didn't read the role bc the formatting needs fixing and I'm not skimming through that


Yeah you can ask for an appeal, but after you are banned/suspended.
Or when disguiser still did that was it changed?
Image


Hosted FM Games:
  • VFM30 (Town Wins)
  • SFM45 (Town Wins)
  • VFM39 (Mafia Wins)
User avatar
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Somewhere in the deep, dark, depths of Canada. (UTC -7)

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55 pm

MafiaMenace wrote:
MafiaMenace wrote:
Cirque wrote:
MafiaMenace wrote:Ummmmm, what?
This has the problem that the old disguiser had.
It messes with the Trial System.

Check out Mystoc's Jinn role on how to make a role like this properly.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78692

If you're in the trial system you can easily tell if somebody disguised as you
I didn't read the role bc the formatting needs fixing and I'm not skimming through that


Yeah you can ask for an appeal, but after you are banned/suspended.
Or when disguiser still did that was it changed?



No lol what I mean is you wouldn’t get banned in the first place because the reports aren’t done automatically? Someone looks at them and they’d see that you were possessed and so not to blame
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby MafiaMenace » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Tell me when you said that.
Cirque said that.

Also anyone with I think it was more than 150 games played can vote guilty or innocent on a report.
Image


Hosted FM Games:
  • VFM30 (Town Wins)
  • SFM45 (Town Wins)
  • VFM39 (Mafia Wins)
User avatar
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Somewhere in the deep, dark, depths of Canada. (UTC -7)

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mystoc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm

the thing is this role is very strong

the use it while dead part means this ability is always useful and its uncounterable


its a swing vote of 1 3 times it being able to talk it just icing on the cake

controlling a vote is much more powerful then just stopping a vote yours controls a vote

being able to control their speech also very abusive with reporting system
waay to strong


you can argue this role isn't useful while alive but it is it's a vote for mafia and it can be the sacrificial lamb and draw attention to itself

this is a jack of all trades role i don't like it

you have to make it so the ability isn't guaranteed make it like jester so it only gets the ability if hanged, otherwise its a garenteened use of an OP mechanic 3 times
User avatar
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Mystoc wrote:the thing is this role is very strong

the use it while dead part means this ability is always useful and its uncounterable


its a swing vote of 1 3 times it being able to talk it just icing on the cake

controlling a vote is much more powerful then just stopping a vote yours controls a vote

being able to control their speech also very abusive with reporting system
waay to strong


you can argue this role isn't useful while alive but it is it's a vote for mafia and it can be the sacrificial lamb and draw attention to itself

this is a jack of all trades role i don't like it

you have to make it so the ability isn't guaranteed make it like jester so it only gets the ability if hanged, otherwise its a garenteened use of an OP mechanic 3 times


Thanks for the feedback ☺️

so, do you think this would be a more viable role if it wasn’t a voluntary death (but instead had to be lynched or killed) and if they weren’t able to vote?

And like I said before, being wrongly reported would be easy to fix because the people presiding over the report would be able to see that they were possessed surely
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Also just had an idea to make it somewhat counterable lol. How about if the target is visited, then the possession won’t work? The Possessor won’t lose a possession but it just won’t work. Lore wise it could be that they need their target to be alone or something lol.
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby MafiaMenace » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 pm

That sounds like it was the first thing to pop into your head.
With a role you need to take a LONG time to think it up.
Image


Hosted FM Games:
  • VFM30 (Town Wins)
  • SFM45 (Town Wins)
  • VFM39 (Mafia Wins)
User avatar
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Somewhere in the deep, dark, depths of Canada. (UTC -7)

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mystoc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Mermylermy wrote:Also just had an idea to make it somewhat counterable lol. How about if the target is visited, then the possession won’t work? The Possessor won’t lose a possession but it just won’t work. Lore wise it could be that they need their target to be alone or something lol.


its the whole part that evil role needs to die part that is unfair its gartneed use of it ability you cant not kill them your best hope is too kill other mafia first and get this role promoted out of its role but thats pretty hard to do , i would focus on nerfing the guaranteed use of 3 possession on death have a way it is denied it otherwise its unfair , the ability itself is way to strong as well but that's a separate issue


if u insist on keeping it how it is

nerf uses too 2 uses
and let the person possessed still be able to speak
(this allows townies to say hey im possessed help i cant vote who i want)
but this also allows evils to fake being possessed and be like i cant vote sorry


also does spy see you visit the person you posses i forgot to ask that
User avatar
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 pm

MafiaMenace wrote:That sounds like it was the first thing to pop into your head.
With a role you need to take a LONG time to think it up.



Which bit? And lol I have thought about it, thats why I’m posting it here to get feedback and ideas lol
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby MafiaMenace » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:37 pm

No, this role really doesn't seem like you took anytime to put out there.

Mystoc's idea to fix this role works wonderfully, your nerf doesn't

Also, I wasn't speaking about how the ability works at night, I was talking about the Trial System problem.
Image


Hosted FM Games:
  • VFM30 (Town Wins)
  • SFM45 (Town Wins)
  • VFM39 (Mafia Wins)
User avatar
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm
Location: Somewhere in the deep, dark, depths of Canada. (UTC -7)

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 pm

MafiaMenace wrote:No, this role really doesn't seem like you took anytime to put out there.

Mystoc's idea to fix this role works wonderfully, your nerf doesn't

Also, I wasn't speaking about how the ability works at night, I was talking about the Trial System problem.



I’m sorry I’m really confused as to what you mean by the whole trial thing :? Lol I think we may have been crossing wires?

Also lmao the very fact that you are saying mystocs ideas are good proves my point! I know it needed improving that’s why I asked for feedback!

(Also idk if it’s a “internet makes it hard to read tone” thing but you’re coming across a bit rude lol
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Mystoc wrote:
Mermylermy wrote:Also just had an idea to make it somewhat counterable lol. How about if the target is visited, then the possession won’t work? The Possessor won’t lose a possession but it just won’t work. Lore wise it could be that they need their target to be alone or something lol.


its the whole part that evil role needs to die part that is unfair its gartneed use of it ability you cant not kill them your best hope is too kill other mafia first and get this role promoted out of its role but thats pretty hard to do , i would focus on nerfing the guaranteed use of 3 possession on death have a way it is denied it otherwise its unfair , the ability itself is way to strong as well but that's a separate issue


if u insist on keeping it how it is

nerf uses too 2 uses
and let the person possessed still be able to speak
(this allows townies to say hey im possessed help i cant vote who i want)
but this also allows evils to fake being possessed and be like i cant vote sorry


also does spy see you visit the person you posses i forgot to ask that



I did mention that if the possessed target is killed then the possessor loses a possession? I take it you mean more than that tho lol

But two uses could work yeah! And so are you saying that the possessor can’t use the chat, but CAN vote, or that the possessor merely prevents the target from voting but nothing else?

Idea: what if the possessor has control of chat, but the target has control of voting? Or would that get a bit muddy :/ I suppose you’d just end up with the whole blackmailed vote/unvote thing huh (lol don’t mind me just stream-of-consciousness-ing here lol)

And lol I hadn’t really thought about that tbh! That would be interesting! I guess for fairness sake they’d have to lol it’d just come up as a mafia visit tho right?


So to recap based on some of your feedback, planned nerfs would be:

Reduce possessions to two,
Can no longer use the vote while possessing
Must be killed/lynched to use powers
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mystoc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm

no i said cant talk as them not cant vote as them

you would still be able to vote
User avatar
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Re: Possessor (maf)

Postby Mermylermy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Mystoc wrote:no i said cant talk as them not cant vote as them

you would still be able to vote


Lol that’s what I said :lol:
Please critique my role idea :) : Possessor
Mermylermy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Next

Return to Role Idea Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests