Jester Overhaul #SeeNoNeutralEvil

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Implement my Jester?

Yes!
37%
Yes, but as a new role!
28%
No!
36%

Total votes : 76

Re: Jester Overhaul #SeeNoNeutralEvil

Postby marlony1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:59 pm

a role that stops lynching for the sake of stopping lynching is bad.

Scummy people shouldn't be alive because of a dumb jester mechanic honestly.
"Oh but Marlony1 (or as people from the discord formerly call me Memezaki), town would just random lynch"

Then they lynch town. They're already punished for their actions.

"But, town should be punished for lynching the wrong scum!"

Think about that for a second.

"wrong scum"

"wrong scum"

"wrong scum"

"But, town should be punished for lynching the wrong scum!"

Think about that for a second.

"wrong scum"

"wrong scum"

"wrong scum"

Just copy and paste those words and you basically have an argument for every remove jester ToS argument ever.

once again, /support.
"THE ONE AND ONLY. SPAGOT BOI SUPERDUPER *dAb DaB*"
-Superduper

Choose the character's actions in these fun and simple Arcade games:
Spoiler:
You: W-Where am I?

You wake up in a generic RPG.

Spoiler:
???: How will I get out of these rooms? I-I can't do anything...

SAVE the Red Girl

Spoiler:
But nothing was there...

Taking short break from forums
marlony1
Doctor
Doctor

Postby RHCube » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:11 pm

HereThereEverywhere wrote:Yes, the point of Jester is to make Town afraid of lynching. That's a bad point, because lynching is Town's main weapon for killing scum.

If jester didn't exist, then random lynching would be more common. It's already hard for evils to win against skilled towns. Again, I don't see why the current jester needs to be reworked.
RHCube
Witch
Witch

Postby marlony1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:15 pm

RHCube wrote:
HereThereEverywhere wrote:Yes, the point of Jester is to make Town afraid of lynching. That's a bad point, because lynching is Town's main weapon for killing scum.

If jester didn't exist, then random lynching would be more common. It's already hard for evils to win against skilled towns. Again, I don't see why the current jester needs to be reworked.

"Oh but Marlony1 (or as people from the discord formerly call me Memezaki), town would just random lynch"

-Superduper

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

SAVE the Red Girl

Spoiler:
But nothing was there...

marlony1
Doctor
Doctor

Postby RHCube » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Spoiler:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:

It's easy for skilled townies to avoid accidently lynching other townies. And how are they already punished for their actions?
Last edited by RHCube on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RHCube
Witch
Witch

Postby marlony1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 pm

RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:

Evils have the minority, so they can't lynch town. And it's easy for skilled townies to avoid accidently lynching other townies

If they were skilled townies who knew how to not lynch townies they wouldn't be random lynching.
-Superduper

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

SAVE the Red Girl

Spoiler:
But nothing was there...

marlony1
Doctor
Doctor

Postby RHCube » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Spoiler:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:

Evils have the minority, so they can't lynch town. And it's easy for skilled townies to avoid accidently lynching other townies

If they were skilled townies they wouldn't be random lynching, moron.

Be nice. And I have seen skilled players random lynch.
Last edited by RHCube on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RHCube
Witch
Witch

Postby marlony1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 pm

RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:

skilled townies to avoid accidently lynching other townies
= Not random lynching.

Read your own posts before you argue.
-Superduper

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

SAVE the Red Girl

Spoiler:
But nothing was there...

marlony1
Doctor
Doctor

Postby RHCube » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Spoiler:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:

= Not random lynching.

Just because they avoid lynching other townies doesn't mean that it's not random lynching. They could still randomly lynch evils.
Last edited by RHCube on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RHCube
Witch
Witch

Postby marlony1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Spoiler:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:

= Not random lynching.

Just because they avoid lynching other townies doesn't mean that it's not random lynching. They could still randomly lynch evils.

Then that's luck, not skill. There's a difference between the two.
-Superduper

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

SAVE the Red Girl

Spoiler:
But nothing was there...

marlony1
Doctor
Doctor

Postby RHCube » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Spoiler:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:
marlony1 wrote:
RHCube wrote:

= Not random lynching.

Then that's luck, not skill. There's a difference between the two.

I never said that it was skill or luck. I just said that it was random lynching.
RHCube
Witch
Witch

Postby marlony1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm

I never said that it was skill or luck. I just said that it was a random lynching.

-Superduper

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

SAVE the Red Girl

Spoiler:
But nothing was there...

marlony1
Doctor
Doctor

Postby RHCube » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Spoiler:
marlony1 wrote:
I never said that it was skill or luck. I just said that it was a random lynching.

Just because they're skilled doesn't mean that they won't random lynch.
RHCube
Witch
Witch

Postby marlony1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:31 pm

RHCube wrote: Spoiler:
marlony1 wrote:

Just because they're skilled doesn't mean that they won't random lynch.

skilled townies to avoid accidentally lynching other townies

It doesn't count as random lynching if you know who you're lynching and who you're not lynching.
-Superduper

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

SAVE the Red Girl

Spoiler:
But nothing was there...

marlony1
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Mystoc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 pm

thing is dying during the night it just way too easy to do

it should never be part of a goal is a natural part of the game you cant make it a goal casue people need to die for the game to end people don't need to be hanged for the game to end that's why current jester makes sense

the penalty not being able to vote is dumb because it affects everyone regardless if they voted guilted or not this clearly helps both evils and town depending who has the majority

you are trying to make the no hanging town sided penalty wise but it isn't cause evils can vote too and can sometimes have majority

they night prank is cleary town favored since it only affects the attacker and not everyone else, yes there are town who kill but there kill affects secondary expect jailor and vig

on a side note this incredibly dumb you can be jailed by jailor and just refuse to give role and then hit prank ofc jailor will exe you

this night prank just doesn't work cause dying during the night is part of the game you could easily get this done by accident

TLDR your day penalty is neither town sided or evil sided , night penalty cleary is evil sided in negatives, reverse jester don't work it's to easy to die during the night it doesn't matter you have to click a button for it to count

lastly giving a win condition charges is a horrible idea no role in the game is like this and never should be pranks need to unlimited and then whole point of clicking the button doesnt make sense this just can't work
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Parallax7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Mystoc wrote:thing is dying during the night it just way too easy to do

Well you only have three chances to, and you have to convince Mafia you're worth killing. You must have 5,000 ELO.

it should never be part of a goal is a natural part of the game you cant make it a goal casue people need to die for the game to end people don't need to be hanged for the game to end that's why current jester makes sense

People need to be hanged in order for Town to win, you're misconstruing scum principles as game mechanics, try again.

the penalty not being able to vote is dumb because it affects everyone regardless if they voted guilted or not this clearly helps both evils and town depending who has the majority

Voting is town's weapon, by scum, can scum use it against them? Yes. Can Town use scum weapon against its opposers? Yes, actually; so this point is moot.

you are trying to make the no hanging town sided penalty wise but it isn't cause evils can vote too and can sometimes have majority

If scum has majority, it doesn't matter, Town has lost 9/10, so this holds no substance.

they night prank is cleary town favored since it only affects the attacker and not everyone else, yes there are town who kill but there kill affects secondary expect jailor and vig

The party responsible suffers. Not the sole attacker, you even read the role?

on a side note this incredibly dumb you can be jailed by jailor and just refuse to give role and then hit prank ofc jailor will exe you

Jailor is incredibly powerful; your point? Any means of nerfing Jailor is a good means. Thanks for the feedback though!

this night prank just doesn't work cause dying during the night is part of the game you could easily get this done by accident

Yes, and so are lyches, and so are manipulating kills & lynches. Serial Killer could easily get killed N1 by Bodyguard. It's called being fortunate or unfortunate. It's a character trait of Mafia games, sorry pal, not my role's fault.

TLDR your day penalty is neither town sided or evil sided , night penalty cleary is evil sided in negatives, reverse jester don't work it's to easy to die during the night it doesn't matter you have to click a button for it to count

Preventing a lynch for 9/10 extensive purposes hurts Town.

lastly giving a win condition charges is a horrible idea no role in the game is like this and never should be pranks need to unlimited and then whole point of clicking the button doesnt make sense this just can't work

This mechanic insures it isn't too easy? I honestly think you have no clue what you're talking about.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Discord: Parallax#4977
Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Location: .-. .. --. .... - / -... . .... .. -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- (EST)

Postby Mystoc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:24 pm

getting hanged means you have to get town to suspect you and then get town to vote you up and then a majority all vote guilty all without tipping them off that you aren't jester you cant make it to obv at same time

during the night you could die cause you made yourself seem like an important town target but then TP would be on you that way its instant anti synergy

the best way to die during the night would be be quiet and hope you die randomly that's why it wont work dying during the night is a natural part of the game that only needs input from one person, getting lynched means u have to fool the majority to hang you and get hanged, getting lynched only happens when you play correctly dying during the night can just happen randomly its a bad goal

lastly giving limited pranks is bad cause it having a goal tied to only having x amunts chances to use pranks just doesn't make sense

-You own three pranks to last you through the game.

what happens when you run out pranks you just loose? no all other role in the game is like this

thing is your tried to make dying during the night more fair by making it like a vet alert and added hanging for parity sake

but it will feel so bad to use a prank then have fail and know you only have x amount left then you loose , but removing the charges alert like function would just feel to easy so i don't see and easy middleground

perhaps the charges come back but slowly

i like the concepts but its almost impossible to make reverse jesters work dying during the night is part of the game getting hanged is not and only happens to you by drawing suspicion on yourself
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Parallax7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:48 pm

added a suicide mechanic once you extinguish your prank count.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Jackparrot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 am

RHCube wrote:
HereThereEverywhere wrote:That's another problem, it means Town should be afraid to lynch scum - what else would suspecting all scum of being a potential Jester mean?

That's the point of jester.
HereThereEverywhere wrote:On page two I mentioned something about keeping the original Jester as a Chaos role, would that work for people?

No, because then jester would rarely appear in ranked. I don't see any issues with the current jester. Roles should only be reworked if their concept is broken(like spy/ret)
Jackparrot wrote:Maybe make jester and execountioner a NB, because it has it's own win conditions?

I support that, but exe would only work as a NB if it could have anyone(not just town) as its target.

If exe had any one as a target it would be very unbalenced beecause if exe had say mayor as target, he would lose garrenteed, if tho he had a scum he would nearly always win. /nosupport
I am not as active as I used to be, although I should be somewhat active.
Jackparrot
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby kookeekwisp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:33 am

You know, FINALLY this version of Jester can be nerfed when Exe becomes Jester. (I mean, it can't NOT do that, it's one of the greatest ToS staples)

I have a few suggestions & questions.
1. If Exe's target dies, he becomes a Jester with 1/2 pranks
2. What happens in Jail? Being able to prank in Jail is cool, but requires human reaction time, which this game should NEVER have.
3. Make both prank abilities done at night. Select yourself for night, and the sun icon (still at night) to activate it for the day. Maybe continue the icon through the death-count phase, too.
4. Put a TL;DR, because there's some confusing parts that can be very misleading. How about "It's a Jester that can win at day or night when you activate your ability that can be used 3 times." (It took me like 5 minutes to figure out that's how the role works)

Spoiler: First you read the abilities, seeing "Pull a prank on people", so you ASSUME you visit other players.
Second, you see the attributes saying "You can activate your prank", thinking it's an Arso-type role that "ignites" pranked targets, which can be used at day or night for some reason...
Third, Goal. "Successfully pull a prank". Now people think you're an idiot troll that makes insanely easy goals. all you have to do is douse & ignite & you win.
Then you don't care to read it carefully after thinking you're a troll, so they skip to the interactions, which would be UP for a 1 time Arso-type role.
So you look through the comments, and the first post asks for exactly what you're thinking, and the OP shoots them down without a care.
You skimp the comments cause you still dont care, and see nobody asking the same question, so you give up 'cause the OP is a jerk as you can clearly see.

Have i made my confusion clear?

BONUS: You say you don't ask for feedback, but you thank the posters for support & include a literal POSTER of your efforts.
Favorite roles: Framer Survivor Trapper VampireHunter Consigliere Mafioso Escort Lookout Mayor Arsonist Disguiser Veteran Bodyguard Plaguebearer Medusa Blackmailer Executioner Doctor Crusader Vigilante Vampire PotionMaster Poisoner Transporter Jester Jailor Consort Ambusher Werewolf SerialKiller Hypnotist CovenLeader Pirate Godfather Sheriff Forger ??? Retributionist Amnesiac Investigator Necromancer Spy GuardianAngel Tracker Psychic HexMaster.

Kirize wrote:
kookeekwisp wrote:Dont single out Arso cause it kills slower!
I didnt know you could contradict yourself in one sentence
kookeekwisp
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Parallax7 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have taken some of that.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby RHCube » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Spoiler:
Jackparrot wrote:
RHCube wrote:
HereThereEverywhere wrote:That's another problem, it means Town should be afraid to lynch scum - what else would suspecting all scum of being a potential Jester mean?

That's the point of jester.
HereThereEverywhere wrote:On page two I mentioned something about keeping the original Jester as a Chaos role, would that work for people?

No, because then jester would rarely appear in ranked. I don't see any issues with the current jester. Roles should only be reworked if their concept is broken(like spy/ret)
Jackparrot wrote:Maybe make jester and execountioner a NB, because it has it's own win conditions?

I support that, but exe would only work as a NB if it could have anyone(not just town) as its target.

If exe had any one as a target it would be very unbalenced beecause if exe had say mayor as target, he would lose garrenteed, if tho he had a scum he would nearly always win. /nosupport

There would be limits to this, an exe wouldn't be able to have the mayor, jailor, godfather, or coven leader as their target. The main reason exe should be able to have scum as their target is because roles shouldn't be dependent on another role/faction existing to be useful. And exe requires town to exist.
Parallax7 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I have taken some of that.

Can you also make this a new role instead of a jester rework? The only issue with jester is its alignment, and that can be easily fixed.
RHCube
Witch
Witch

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 pm

No, that's not the only issue. It's town sided.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Parallax7 wrote:No, that's not the only issue. It's town sided.

As any other neutral benign (that won't spawn in ranked anymore).
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Joacgroso wrote:

But they shouldn't be.
canadian joker says a lot aboot society

Riskka#1854
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:21 pm

HereThereEverywhere wrote:
Joacgroso wrote:

But they shouldn't be.

If neutral evil is meant to be evil-sided, it's fair that neutral benign is town-sided, especially since it can't spaw in ranked.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

PreviousNext

Return to Role Ideas