Rogue Sniper (Neutral, Killing)

Old Role Ideas

Rogue Sniper (Neutral, Killing)

Postby SparksElm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:40 am

Had this on the back-burner for a couple weeks or so now, waiting until patch 1.5 before posting (should've just posted it, to be honest). Taken the idea of a "long range killer" free of the dangers of visiting and (tried) providing suitable "counter-power" by making kills uncertain (in essence, a Rogue Sniper will always be wondering who they're about to kill). It is not based on RNG though (explained in the concept), so any comments relating to that will be ignored (you have been warned).

Role Name: Rogue Sniper
Role Alignment: Neutral, Killing
Attributes:
• Choose one target to watch each night.
• Shoot the first person to move at your targets house.
• You shoot from your own house and, as such, do not visit your target.
• You have two auto-vests to protect you at night.
Bodyguards and self-vests cannot defend against your attacks.
Abilities: Shoot a moving target at a chosen location each night.
Goal: Kill everyone who would oppose you.
Wins With: Rogue Snipers and Neutral Non-Killing roles only.
• Wins with Rogue Snipers.
• Must defeat the Town.
• Must defeat the Mafia.
• Must defeat Serial Killers.
• Must defeat Arsonists.
• Must defeat the Werewolf.
• Must defeat Vampires.
• May spare all other roles.
Special Attributes: Bite Immune, 2 Auto-Vests.
Investigator Results:
Investigator Results: Vampire Hunter, Survivor, Witch or Rogue Sniper - Your target keeps to themselves. Gives a half reasonable explanation for the auto-vests by claiming Survivor. Also makes sense, in regards to the flair, since the Rogue Sniper kills from a distance, essentially keeping to them-self.
• Sheriff Results: Your target is a Rogue Sniper. Makes sense since the Rogue Sniper is free of visit-related dangers and, as a result, undetectable to the Lookout.
• Consigliere Results: Your target owns a high powered rifle. They must be a Rogue Sniper.

Additional Information:
The Rogue Sniper's shots cannot be prevented by Bodyguards or self-vests. NOTE: Does not pierce Heals, Night Immunity or Jail.
The Rogue Sniper will attack the first person to "lock-in" their night action between the Rogue Sniper's target (whom they choose to watch) and all the visitors of that target. NOTE: A player "locks-in" their action by choosing their target(s) and not changing anything before the end of the night.
In the event that there are no visit-actions centred around the Rogue Sniper's chosen target, the Rogue Sniper's chosen target will be shot. This may not occur on consecutive nights.
Since the Rogue Sniper does not visit their target, they will not:
• Appear in Lookout results.
• Be shot by an alerting Veteran.
• Be killed by a defending Bodyguard.
• Be mauled by a Werewolf, unless directly targeted by the Werewolf on a full moon.
• Leave a death note.

Pros:
• Does not need to worry about visit-related dangers.
• Attacks pierce Bodyguards and self-vests.
• Auto-vests provide protection without the need to worry about guessing which nights they will be attacked.
• Unable to kill other Rogue Snipers, reducing likelihood of killing allies.

Cons:
• Always uncertain who they're about to kill.
• Temporary Night Immunity results in a real danger once no auto-vests are left.
• Limited, uncertain targeted killing makes non-visiting roles a larger threat for each day that passes.

Achievements:
• Patience Pays Off: Win your first game as a Rogue Sniper.
• (Don't) Hold Your Breath: Win 5 games as the Rogue Sniper.
• Who Needs a Spotter?: Win 10 games as the Rogue Sniper.
• Eagle-Eyed Killer: Win 25 games as the Rogue Sniper.
• Sniper Action: Kill someone who was being protected by a Bodyguard.
• Mine is Bigger: Kill a Vigilante who was about to attack you.
• Can't Shoot What You Can't See: Kill a Veteran on a night they alerted.
• Bulletproof This!: Kill someone who used a vest to protect themselves.

Change Log:
• No longer able to kill healed players. 10/08/16
• Now able to kill, in a limited manner, when no visiting actions performed by targets. 10/08/16

Stalemate Detector Scenarios (1v1):
Spoiler: • In a "standard" Rogue Sniper VS Town, the win is automatically given to the Rogue Sniper. Exceptions to "standard" VS Town: Vigilante, Mayor, Jailor.
• In a non-standard Rogue Sniper VS Town, the game will continue. In the situation of a VS Vigilante, the game will end on the following night when one of the players dies (if neither player dies, the win is awarded to the Rogue Sniper). In the situation of VS Mayor, the game will continue until the end of the following/current day (if the Rogue Sniper isn't lynched, they will be awarded the win). In the situation of a VS Jailor, the game will continue until concluded (draw possible).
• In a "standard" Rogue Sniper VS Mafia, the win is automatically awarded to the Rogue Sniper. Exceptions to "standard" VS Mafia: Godfather, Mafioso.
• In a non-standard Rogue Sniper VS Mafia, the game continues. Same rules as VS Vigilante apply. (assuming "High-Velocity Rounds", otherwise the Godfather is awarded the win. Mafioso unaffected)
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Serial Killer, the game continues. Same rules as VS Vigilante apply. (assuming "High-Velocity Rounds", otherwise the Serial Killer is awarded the win)
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Arsonist, the win is awarded to the Arsonist only if the Rogue Sniper is doused, otherwise the game continues. If the Rogue Sniper isn't doused the following night, they are awarded the win (otherwise the Arsonist is awarded the win).
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Werewolf, it depends on the moon phase of the following night. If the following night is a full moon, the Werewolf is awarded the win, otherwise the Rogue Sniper is awarded the win.
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Vampire, the Rogue Sniper is awarded the win.

Food for Thought:
• Maybe add in 1 "High-Velocity Round" that will allow penetration of Night Immunity? NOTE: This would be chosen by the player (Rogue Sniper) targeting themselves.
• Was thinking of allowing the Rogue Sniper to kill a revealed Mayor. This would work by giving a revealed Mayor a higher target priority than visiting players, despite that they have no night ability.
• In regards to the limited killing of non-visiting roles: I was thinking of removing the limit that prevents such kills on consecutive nights once the game reaches day 6 to provide the Rogue Sniper a better chance at winning in the event that several non-visiting roles survive to later days in a game, without providing too much killing power in the early stages of a game.
• In regards to Bodyguards, I was thinking that either the Rogue Sniper will "pierce" the first defence from each individual Bodyguard, or the first defence from Bodyguards in general. Added a poll to see what people think. NOTE: This is NOT implemented yet as I want to try the current Bodyguard interactions first. If the Rogue Sniper needs this change, I will make it.
• I've been hounded by a few people to give the Rogue Sniper permanent night immunity. Since this seems to be so persistent, I'm making it the "last resort" buff. Anyone who brings this up from now on (as of 10:30 AEST 28/10/16) will be ignored because I honestly can't be bother telling everyone the same thing.
Last edited by SparksElm on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SparksElm
Witch
Witch

Re: Rogue Sniper (Neutral, Killing)

Postby Cenas4life » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:08 am

I actually kind of like this concept. It seems like an interesting idea, and something that would be fun to play as. I would remove the autovests though, and give the role full night immunity. /Support
Spoiler: https://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=48645

I really need players for this one! Please Join! Castle Mayhem!
Spoiler: https://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=48781

Check out my role the Tailor
Spoiler: https://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47868
Cenas4life
Jailor
Jailor

Postby SilenceHacker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:30 pm

This sounds amazing. I'm going to write some lore for him.

Story:

The rogue sniper is an ex-military sniper. He was kindly invited to stay in town of salem until he could figure out his money issues with his friend, The Bodyguard, who they both shared very close war experiences with. Despite the kindness of his friend, the sniper, much like the bodyguard wasn't good at anything besides killing. He eventually came to the conclusion he'd have to use his skill in assassination to make him money. Now, every night he leaves his friend's home and accepts the many, many town peoples requests to have someone killed. To the sniper it didn't matter if it was the Godfather requesting the mayor be shot or the investigator asking to get rid of the arsonist. He killed whoever anybody wanted as long as it ended in him getting paid.
"Burn, baby, burn" - Napalm (IGN)
SilenceHacker
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Skulomania » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:29 pm

SparksElm wrote: Spoiler: Had this on the back-burner for a couple weeks or so now, waiting until patch 1.5 before posting (should've just posted it, to be honest). Taken the idea of a "long range killer" free of the dangers of visiting and (tried) providing suitable "counter-power" by making kills uncertain (in essence, a Rogue Sniper will always be wondering who they're about to kill). It is not based on RNG though (explained in the concept), so any comments relating to that will be ignored (you have been warned).

Role Name: Rogue Sniper
Role Alignment: Neutral, Killing
Attributes:
• Choose one target to watch each night.
• Shoot the first person to move at your targets house.
• You shoot from your own house and, as such, do not visit your target.
• You have two auto-vests to protect you at night.
• Your shots can not be defended against.
Abilities: Shoot a moving target at a chosen location each night.
Goal: Kill everyone who would oppose you.
Wins With: Rogue Snipers and Neutral Non-Killing roles only.
• Wins with Rogue Snipers.
• Must defeat the Town.
• Must defeat the Mafia.
• Must defeat Serial Killers.
• Must defeat Arsonists.
• Must defeat the Werewolf.
• Must defeat Vampires.
• May spare all other roles.
Special Attributes: Bite Immune, 2 Auto-Vests.
Investigator Results:
• Investigator Results: Vampire Hunter, Survivor, Witch or Rogue Sniper - Your target keeps to themselves. Gives a half reasonable explanation for the auto-vests by claiming Survivor. Also makes sense, in regards to the flair, since the Rogue Sniper kills from a distance, essentially keeping to them-self.
• Sheriff Results: Your target is a Rogue Sniper. Makes sense since the Rogue Sniper is free of visit-related dangers and, as a result, undetectable to the Lookout.
• Consigliere Results: Your target owns a high powered rifle. They must be a Rogue Sniper.

Additional Information:
The Rogue Sniper's shots cannot be prevented by Bodyguards, Doctors or self-vests. NOTE: Does not pierce Night Immunity or Jail.
The Rogue Sniper will attack the first person to "lock-in" their night action between the Rogue Sniper's target (whom they choose to watch) and all the visitors of that target. NOTE: A player "locks-in" their action by choosing their target(s) and not changing anything before the end of the night.
Since the Rogue Sniper does not visit their target, they will not:
• Appear in Lookout results.
• Be shot by an alerting Veteran.
• Be killed by a defending Bodyguard.
• Be mauled by a Werewolf, unless directly targeted by the Werewolf on a full moon.
• Leave a death note.

Pros:
• Does not need to worry about visit-related dangers.
• Attacks can't be defended against, reducing the effectiveness of Town, Protective roles.
• Auto-vests provide protection without the need to worry about guessing which nights they will be attacked.
• Unable to kill other Rogue Snipers, reducing likelihood of killing allies.

Cons:
• Always uncertain who they're about to kill.
• Temporary Night Immunity results in a real danger once no auto-vests are left.
• Unable to kill roles that do no visit (for example: Veteran, Medium).

Achievements:
• Patience Pays Off: Win your first game as a Rogue Sniper.
• (Don't) Hold Your Breath: Win 5 games as the Rogue Sniper.
• Who Needs a Spotter?: Win 10 games as the Rogue Sniper.
• Eagle-Eyed Killer: Win 25 games as the Rogue Sniper.
• Sniper Action: Kill someone who was being protected by a Bodyguard.
• Dead is Dead: Kill someone who was being protected by a Doctor.
• Min is Bigger: Kill a Vigilante who was about to kill you.
• Bulletproof This!: Kill someone who used a vest to protect themselves.

Stalemate Detector Scenarios (1v1):
[spoiler]• In a "standard" Rogue Sniper VS Town, the win is automatically given to the Rogue Sniper. Exceptions to "standard" VS Town: Vigilante, Mayor, Jailor.
• In a non-standard Rogue Sniper VS Town, the game will continue. In the situation of a VS Vigilante, the game will end on the following night when one of the players dies (if neither player dies, the win is awarded to the Rogue Sniper). In the situation of VS Mayor, the game will continue until the end of the following/current day (if the Rogue Sniper isn't lynched, they will be awarded the win). In the situation of a VS Jailor, the game will continue until concluded (draw possible).
• In a "standard" Rogue Sniper VS Mafia, the win is automatically awarded to the Rogue Sniper. Exceptions to "standard" VS Mafia: Godfather, Mafioso.
• In a non-standard Rogue Sniper VS Mafia, the game continues. Same rules as VS Vigilante apply. (assuming "High-Velocity Rounds', otherwise the Godfather is awarded the win. Mafioso unaffected)
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Serial Killer, the game continues. Same rules as VS Vigilante apply. (assuming "High-Velocity Rounds', otherwise the Serial Killer is awarded the win)
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Arsonist, the win is awarded to the Arsonist only if the Rogue Sniper is doused, otherwise the game continues. If the Rogue Sniper isn't doused the following night, they are awarded the win (otherwise the Arsonist is awarded the win).
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Werewolf, it depends on the moon phase of the following night. If the following night is a full moon, the Werewolf is awarded the win, otherwise the Rogue Sniper is awarded the win.
• In a Rogue Sniper VS Vampire, the Rogue Sniper is awarded the win.

Food for Thought:
• Maybe add in 1 "High-Velocity Round" that will allow penetration of Night Immunity? NOTE: This would be chosen by the player (Rogue Sniper) targeting themselves.
• Was thinking of allowing the Rogue Sniper to kill a revealed Mayor. This would work by giving a revealed Mayor a higher target priority than visiting players, despite that they have no night ability.

I like the effort , detail and organization you put into this role.

The concept is interesting, however there are a few concerns i have

1. You may potentially not kill anyone for a few nights. I suppose that would mean you have to be quite selective in your targets. for as we all know, you sometimes get 'no visitors' as lookout for a few days straight, especially if you are random targeting or just unlucky.

2. The role might come into trouble in late-game situations where there you are the only killing role left and there is no visiting roles. Ex. Vigilante with 0 bullets, Medium, Veteran , Rogue Sniper are in the game.

3. It nullifies an entire sub-alignment which revolves around protecting people at night from killings, while being lookout-immune. (Town Protective as the sub-alignment) I can understand the reasoning to an extent, but feel that may not be very balanced.

4. It's not in full control of who it kills, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may pose issues for a neutral killing.

Overall though i feel the role is quite interesting although i am unsure of how effective it would be in a game-environment, and I also admire the detail put into the role.
Skulomania
Jailor
Jailor

Postby BPsycho2 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:39 pm

1. Your target sticks to the shadows. They are either a Lookout, Forger, Witch (1.5 says Amne, but still), or Sniper

2. Full night immunity.

I returned and I saw the light return to my eyes.

BPsycho2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Tigerleap » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:30 am

This role needs full night immunity, not auto-vests.
As for the mayor flaw, this role is hard to kill with in the late-game. People will just be too hard to kill when there's a low amount of players alive, especially if some of them are non-visiting roles. If Mafia is wiped out, this role is doomed. A change that could fix this is that, if no one visits your target, you will kill your target instead, but then this would just be a little OP. This change could be split into two to make it less OP. 1: If your target is a non-visiting role and is not visited, you will shoot them. 2: If your target is a visiting role that is not visited, and does not visit anyone, you will shoot them. This second change is to prevent people from not using their abilities in other to not be shot by a Rogue Sniper. Also, Doctors should be able to heal targets shot by the Sniper. (Say Sniper targets player A, player B visits player A, so Sniper shoots player B, but player B is healed by the Doc. Both player A and B live.
With some changes, this role could work. If the changes that I suggested, or other changes that would fix this role, are implemented, then /Support.

"Skill and luck are bound to intercept each other, and thus the two cannot coexist in harmony."

-Tigerleap

FAQ

Spoiler: FAQ:
Why am I called Tigerleap? - It's my Warrior Cat name!
What is my favorite role? - The Lookout is the most fun role for me to play as.
What is my least favorite role? - The Pirate; it's absolutely cancer and we must get rid of it.
Tigerleap
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby SparksElm » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Made a change to the way the Rogue Sniper kills, shifting some power from piercing protection to "limited targeted" kills.

In regards to the Investigator results, I (personally) think it is fine as is. The current result gives the Rogue Sniper a risky claim to explain the temporary night immunity and non-visiting nature of their role, but only so far as there are no counter-claims or the true NB dies. It means that a Rogue Sniper who claims outside of their Investigator results is at great risk when Investigators are present.

In regards to the night immunity I understand everyone's concerns, however I believe the auto-vests are the correct way to go. In a standard ranked game, the most likely potential attackers will be the Mafia and Vigilante. Since killing roles are unlikely to attack an immune target multiple times, 2 auto-vests would suffice in the majority of cases. Since the Rogue Sniper is free from visit-related dangers it does need other risks to provide appropriate balance, which I think the limited night immunity helps to provides.
Point being: While the Rogue Sniper is an NK role, I firmly believe that permanent night immunity would make it too powerful.
SparksElm
Witch
Witch

Postby sh99er » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:35 am

Make it if no one visits you kill the person you watch
Check out my ideas:
My Guardian Faction
My Elemental Faction
My Spirit Faction
My Demon Faction

After agreeing that as Godfather id have my mafioso make food for me, here was a funny response.
Jezz wrote:Godfather: mafioso, make me a sandwich
Mafioso: ...we kinda should kill one of our enemies tonight sir
Godfather: no I'm hungry fuck you
sh99er
Spy
Spy

Location: When I'm at my home....London...when I'm at boarding school...hell.

Postby TheWolfBuddy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:54 am

make it so that when a bodyguard guards someone who is being shot, he takes the bullet.
I'm just a memer, I meme my life away... away...

frop418 wrote:
FMLSheWas12 wrote:
frop418 wrote:What do you guys find scummy about Sevo?

What do you think of S0me0ne's opinion on Sevo?

He pointed a lot of interesting points.

Understood is my #1 policy vig forever.
TheWolfBuddy
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby BPsycho2 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:12 pm

It needs Night Immunity.

We all remember pre-patch werewolf

BPsycho2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby SparksElm » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:30 pm

sh99er wrote:Make it if no one visits you kill the person you watch

This is (kind of) already implemented. It does happen, just not on consecutive nights. So if you watch someone night 2 and no one "moves" you kill the person you watched, but if the same thing happens night 3 you wont do anything (then it will "reset" for night 4). There's also an idea to remove that "limit" once the game reaches day 6 if it feels a bit under-powered.

TheWolfBuddy wrote:make it so that when a bodyguard guards someone who is being shot, he takes the bullet.

This seems counter-intuitive to the role. The Rogue Sniper is supposed to be able to work around certain "defences" the town/mafia has, such as Lookouts and Bodyguards. If it needs the change I'll make it but I want to give it a shot as is.

Role update:
I've added an idea regarding Bodyguards into the "Food For Though" section.
I've added permanent night immunity (as opposed to the 2 auto vests the Rogue Sniper currently has) as a "last resort" buff in the "Food For Thought" section, since people are so keen to see it for the sole reason that the Rogue Sniper is a Neutral Killing role. Anyone who brings this up from now on (as of 10:30 AEST 28/10/16) will be ignored because I honestly can't be bother telling everyone the same thing.
SparksElm
Witch
Witch

Postby mq003at » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:34 am

Poor WW, bite immune :(
Favorite roles: Werewolf , Serial Killer , Godfather, Blackmailer, Mayor, Jailor, Investigator

Low Ranked Statistic (winrate):
- Town: 56%
- Mafia: 22%
- NK: 18% (Arso: 0%)
- NB: ~ 15% (they always get themselves killed before doing anything)
mq003at
Witch
Witch

Postby GoldSlash » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm

It looks too much alike WW nerfed. Killing visitors are a concept from another NK;

Don't liked that much. /nosup
I usually goes by these nicknames: Hotel California(deceased), Bolsonaro(deceased), Todoroki

ELO: 1925
League: Diamond

Getting lots of mafia roles these days. The number one loser as nk when the game is a guaranteed nk win.

Prefered Roles: Jailor, Investigator, Transporter, Witch
GoldSlash
Transporter
Transporter

Postby BPsycho2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Definitely still needs full night immunity.

But is still good.

Here's some extra achievements

Holed Up- Be attacked multiple times
Isolation- Be seanced by a medium you somehow killed.

BPsycho2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Spectre0 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Scenarios exist where it would be impossible for him to win - in fact, if there are any non-visiting roles such as Medium or Retributionist, they HAVE to be killed by other means or it's absolutely impossible for Sniper to win.

That needs to be fixed.
Spectre0
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby sh99er » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:21 pm

Spectre0 wrote:Scenarios exist where it would be impossible for him to win - in fact, if there are any non-visiting roles such as Medium or Retributionist, they HAVE to be killed by other means or it's absolutely impossible for Sniper to win.

That needs to be fixed.

I agree. If no one visits you kill the target selected?
Check out my ideas:
My Guardian Faction
My Elemental Faction
My Spirit Faction
My Demon Faction

After agreeing that as Godfather id have my mafioso make food for me, here was a funny response.
Jezz wrote:Godfather: mafioso, make me a sandwich
Mafioso: ...we kinda should kill one of our enemies tonight sir
Godfather: no I'm hungry fuck you
sh99er
Spy
Spy

Location: When I'm at my home....London...when I'm at boarding school...hell.

Return to Role Idea Archives