11%
I cannot see this role being in TOS
25%

Total votes : 92

Surgeon (Neutral Benign)

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Role: Surgeon

Alignment: Neutral Benign

Summary: A POW medic seeking a side to defect to.

Goal: Win with the faction of the last person you successfully healed.

Win Conditions: You win with who you successfully healed last and anyone they can win with. (if they never successfully healed, they do not win)

Abilities: Heal one person each night, preventing them from dying or being lynched the next day.

Attributes: Your target will not know if they were attacked, but you will.
Upon a successful heal, your win conditions will change to match your target's.
You may not change win conditions on consecutive nights. (you may still heal, but you will not change win conditions)
You may not heal the same person twice in a row unless you are successful.
If you heal someone froma lynch, the day will lose 8 seconds and a lynch can occur again, unless you target a Jester or Executioner's target.
Special Attributes: None. Can heal Arsonist douses the night of, but not ignites, and Jailor executions.

Sheriff: Your target is not suspicious.

Investigator: Your target is not afraid to get their hands dirty. They must be a Bodyguard, Surgeon, Godfather, or Arsonist.

Consigliere: Your target has blood-stained scrubs. They must be a Surgeon!

Backstory: Sneaking out of his house in the veil of the night, the ex-military Surgeon captured, put in a POW camp, and reluctantly freed by the side he fought for after initially turning traitor takes a trip down Salem Lane, and in the process, Memory Lane. He remembers the times of war - burning flags, bodies in the streets, brothers killing brothers, bloodshed. You couldn't take a step without wondering whether something was going to explode beneath you. You couldn't sleep at night when any moment, you'd be ambushed, captured, tortured, and killed. It was a hard, grueling time. It was a storm that would contain no rain - only blood. Hired as a Surgeon for Salem's side, he reinforced his resolve day and night - to stop the violence. However, he was eventually captured by the enemy while performing surgery on a wounded soldier. While the soldier bled slowly to death, the Surgeon was to be executed, but managed to talk his way out. He gave the enemy confidential secrets about his former allies - their hideouts, their allies, where they were located, the traps they set. Upon saying this, the Surgeon immediately wished he hadn't - but it was too late. He had officially turned traitor. As the events flew by, Salem's side was losing until they got help from a local power, which was the major turning point of the war. The Surgeon was captured on the battlefield and held hostage as a prisoner of war, which was more than he could have possibly deserved. Eventually, Salem won the war, and while most of the Prisoners of War were hung on the gallows, the Surgeon was reluctantly let free. Ever since that day, the Surgeon has been living with the guilt all his life, with all eyes scowling upon him and no friends, no family, no purpose, and no hope for the future. As he walked along the town that was once a battlefield that he fought in for both sides, he remembered how he used to be an expert combat medic, being able to heal just about anyone and any kind of wound, and now is out of work and has no purpose - he has been told multiple times that people would rather die than be saved from death by him. While he knows that is not true, as life is an essential fiber anyone would give anything not to lose, the world still burn inside him like freshly lit matches that his wardens used to inflict upon him as a Prisoner of War. As he returns home, ready to turn in for the night, he hears a blood-curling screech coming from the neighbor. He wakes up quick as a cat, grabs his medical tools, and rushes over, and sees a metal pole impaling his neighbor through a chair. The Surgeon runs over, rips out the pole, and gets to work, saving the man while he was within an inch of his life. "You...you saved my life..." "What attacked you?" the Surgeon asked and received the answer of "The Mafia." Giving the man some anesthetic, he walks back to his house with a sense of fulfillment and determination. The Surgeon has a purpose now - to defend the townies against the mafia and other criminal scumbags and redeem himself in the town's eyes...or defect, as he did 20 years ago, to the dark side, and combine the sinners and malicious intentions, cutting down the town's numbers one by one until organized crime...or anarchy...would take it's rightful place in it's reign of the land. This is a death game, after all, and the Surgeon is determined to save some lives, for better or for worse.

Achievements: An Apple A Day - Win one game as Surgeon.

Doc in the House - Win five games as Surgeon.

Scrubs - Win ten games as Surgeon.

MEDIC! - Win twenty-five games as Surgeon.

Prisoner of War - Save someone from a Jailor's execution.

Benedict Arnold - Save the Godfather from a Veteran's attack after previously healing said Veteran from an attack.

Can't Touch This - Save the same person twice in a game.

Additional information/comments: A simple but challenging Neutral Benign that takes skill to play, but has lots of different possibilities and can use the day chat to make reads and determine the alignment of his previously healed target and matching his playstyle to fit in with that target, while he might have to be forced to change his playstyle completely at a moment's notice without the town noticing due to the fact that he must take an action every single night.

If the Surgeon heals a jester or the target of an executioner, and the jester or executioner's target is lynched the next day, the lynch will go through, the Jester/Executioner will win, and you will not win (yet).

Overall it's a Neutral Doctor that's fun to play and improves the skill level of the player, which cannot be said about the current Neutral Benigns that don't take much skill to play at all. It also can't be a kingmaker, and would lower chances for kingmakers that require little effort to spawn.

Either way, I hope you enjoy and support the role! ^^
Last edited by Kirize12 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Factional balance - understanding that whisper games are bad because they cause Town to win a disproportionate amount

Strategical balance - understanding that whisper games are bad because there's no reason to use any other strategy

Structural balance - understanding that disabling the Mayor's whispers, despite it fixing whisper games, means that a player can't use a core mechanic of the game and is still bad

This matters - educate yourself.
Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Surgeon (Neutral Benign)

Postby Technetium » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Kirize12 wrote:Also, if he heals let's say a Jester, and the Jester gets lynched, the Surgeon does not win unless that's the last person he successfully heals, so he's going to have to try and find people who aren't likely to be subject to an attack, thus changing his playstyle completely.

Orrr he could just stop healing people.

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Technetium wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:Also, if he heals let's say a Jester, and the Jester gets lynched, the Surgeon does not win unless that's the last person he successfully heals, so he's going to have to try and find people who aren't likely to be subject to an attack, thus changing his playstyle completely.

Kirize12 wrote:You must heal every night at the cost of death and losing if you do not choose a target.
Last edited by Kirize12 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factional balance - understanding that whisper games are bad because they cause Town to win a disproportionate amount

Strategical balance - understanding that whisper games are bad because there's no reason to use any other strategy

Structural balance - understanding that disabling the Mayor's whispers, despite it fixing whisper games, means that a player can't use a core mechanic of the game and is still bad

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Technetium » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Kirize12 wrote:
Technetium wrote:

Kirize12 wrote:You must heal every night at the cost of death and losing if you do not choose.

...Sorry. Missed that part; it was lumped in with a couple of other attributes, and I didn't see it there.
Edit: I do like this role. /support

The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:56 pm

Technetium wrote:...Sorry. Missed that part; it was lumped in with a couple of other attributes, and I didn't see it there.
Edit: I do like this role. /support

Don't worry, it happens. I'll put it in a bullet point format or something.
And thanks. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I allowed revoting, so you can vote that you like the idea and the role now, technetium. ^^

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Technetium » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:59 pm

Kirize12 wrote:EDIT: I allowed revoting, so you can vote that you like the idea and the role now, technetium. ^^

I hadn't voted yet.

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Technetium wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:EDIT: I allowed revoting, so you can vote that you like the idea and the role now, technetium. ^^

I hadn't voted yet.

Oh.

Hey, whoever voted I like the idea but not the role itself, please explain your opinion so I know what to fix. Thanks! ^^

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby oliy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:58 pm

There should be more self-protection involved, maybe the ability to self-heal, but you don't win with yourself :\

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:17 pm

oliy wrote:There should be more self-protection involved, maybe the ability to self-heal, but you don't win with yourself :\

Definitely no self heal for this guy.
Not a chance.

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby oliy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Kirize12 wrote:
oliy wrote:There should be more self-protection involved, maybe the ability to self-heal, but you don't win with yourself :\

Not a chance.

It should be night immune in some way, like how Executioner needs to be immune because it's pretending to be an Investigative, this is pretending to be a protective.
NBs always have a way to protect themselves.
Amnesiac becomes a role that can, or joins a faction where he gets that trust.
Survivor gets vests.
Phantom and Shade have rituals, similar to vests but are productive.

This needs some way to protect itself. One self-heal could be nice, but if you're attacked, it does nothing for your win con.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:26 pm

oliy wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:

Not a chance.

It should be night immune in some way, like how Executioner needs to be immune because it's pretending to be an Investigative, this is pretending to be a protective.
NBs always have a way to protect themselves.
Amnesiac becomes a role that can, or joins a faction where he gets that trust.
Survivor gets vests.
Phantom and Shade have rituals, similar to vests but are productive.

This needs some way to protect itself. One self-heal could be nice, but if you're attacked, it does nothing for your win con.

Phantom and Shade aren't in TOS?
Either way, the Surgeon's goal isn't to survive, and he doesn't need to survive. If he gets too friendly with scum, town can lynch him. If he's getting too friendly with Town, scum can kill him - but not if he can protect himself.

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby oliy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:30 pm

Neither is Amnesiacs, but it still gets a small way to protect itself.
One self-heal would be enough, or maybe the healed person is informed it was a Surgeon and knows the Surgeon's identity. This would be a change from no feedback though.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Technetium » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:31 pm

oliy wrote:Neither is Amnesiacs, but it still gets a small way to protect itself.

What does this mean?

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby oliy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Technetium wrote:
oliy wrote:Neither is Amnesiacs, but it still gets a small way to protect itself.

What does this mean?

IT becomes a faction where it gets trust to be protected/not killed
Or it can literally become a night immune/vesting/self-protecting role

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:33 pm

One self-heal would be enough, or maybe the healed person is informed it was a Surgeon and knows the Surgeon's identity. This would be a change from no feedback though.

If Amnesiac dies, it instantly loses. Game over.
Surgeon can still win while dead.

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby oliy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Kirize12 wrote:

Not true
Post-remembering

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 pm

oliy wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:

Not true
Post-remembering

Surgeon will be too strong and town-sided with a self heal.

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby oliy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Kirize12 wrote:
oliy wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:If Amnesiac dies, it instantly loses. Game over.

Not true
Post-remembering

Surgeon will be too strong and town-sided with a self heal.

How so? Vigilantes could try to shoot. Heck, we could allow it to self-heal in Jail.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Kirize12 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 pm

oliy wrote:How so? Vigilantes could try to shoot. Heck, we could allow it to self-heal in Jail.

Why would Vigilante try to shoot a potential ally?
No. If you're in Jail, you're roleblocked. A Surgeon wouldn't say "Yo, before you jail me, let me grab my med kit." No - he'd just be jailed.

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Raetah » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:08 pm

"I hate Neutral Benigns, so I'm going to make a role with a bunch of Artificial Difficulty in order to make Neutral Benign lose more frequently"
Raetah

Postby Kirize12 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:29 pm

Raetah wrote:"I hate Neutral Benigns, so I'm going to make a role with a bunch of Artificial Difficulty in order to make Neutral Benign lose more frequently"

So you hate this role because you actually need to play the game and don't win upon rolling unlike Survivor or Amnesiac.
GG.

Also, I don't hate Neutral Benign.

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Lizzie0 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:56 am

Kirize12 wrote:
oliy wrote:How so? Vigilantes could try to shoot. Heck, we could allow it to self-heal in Jail.

No. If you're in Jail, you're roleblocked. A Surgeon wouldn't say "Yo, before you jail me, let me grab my med kit." No - he'd just be jailed.

Same reason to why a vigilante would shoot a survivor and amnesiac. but in the surgeon's case, it's more about that the surgeon could potentially heal mafia/neutral killing.

Why should the surgeon be able to clean the dousing? Arsonist doesn't need a nerf.
Lizzie0
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Kirize12 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Lizzie0 wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:

Same reason to why a vigilante would shoot a survivor and amnesiac. but in the surgeon's case, it's more about that the surgeon could potentially heal mafia/neutral killing.

Why should the surgeon be able to clean the dousing? Arsonist doesn't need a nerf.

Then give it a buff. It's not like it's hard-countering Arsonist, but it needs to be able to deal with any NK.

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Lizzie0 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:45 am

Kirize12 wrote:
Lizzie0 wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:Why would Vigilante try to shoot a potential ally?

Then give it a buff. It's not like it's hard-countering Arsonist, but it needs to be able to deal with any NK.

Why does it need to be able to counter every role??? Arsonist is a slow killing role, no need to make it even slower.
Lizzie0
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Kirize12 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 am

Healing is the whole shtick of Surgeon. It needs to be able to heal to barter with it's chosen side. Plus, if it can stop Jailor, it should stop this.

Also, buff Arsonist. :roll:

Kirize12
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to Role Idea Archives