Skin Shifter (Neutral Chaos) Feedback needed!

Old Role Ideas

Do you want this in ToS?

Yes
71%
I like the role but not the idea
No votes
I like the idea but not the role
21%
No. I will explain why I think this in the comments below, or my vote shall simply be disregarded.
7%
I only play Classic, what would I know about balancing?
No votes

Total votes : 14

Skin Shifter (Neutral Chaos) Feedback needed!

Postby Totes » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:07 pm

Beforehand information: All italicized writings is just additional information to the previous attribute or whatever.

Role Name: Skin Shifter

Role Alignment: Neutral Chaos

Ability:
Upon your death, you will be able to assimilate another's skin the next night.

Attributes:
-You are unable to speak in the dead chat, and neither will your victim.
-Upon successful assimilation, you will completely become your target outwards.
You will also be able to perform that player's abilities and but still appear as Skin Shifter to Investigative roles. If your target has night immunity, you will NOT receive that night immunity, but if you assimilate a role that can do something to obtain night immunity, you will gain that night immunity.
-Unless you have assimilated a Neutral Killing role, you will have a second column of buttons which is used for devouring someone's essence.
If you devour someone's essence, they will appear alive to the town the following day, but the next day they will completely disappear, no body, no revealing of role. The only exception is that if your target was attacked by another killing role, they will disappear the following day rather than the day after that.
-Your target will know if their essence was devoured.
-Your target will know if their skin was assimilated into.
-You cannot devour essence and use your assimilated ability on the same night.
-Upon successful assimilation, the town will be notified the next day that a Skin Shifter has assimilated, and will state of which alignment the SS has assimilated into.
"Some [alignment, such as Neutral, Mafia, or Town] has been replaced!"

Goal:
Take revenge on the town that abandoned you
Wins with:
-Werewolves
-Witches
-Survivors
-Jesters
-Executioners

Special Attributes:
Unique role.

Investigative Results:
Consigliere: Your target is an unholy abomination. They must be a Skin Shifter!
Investigator: Your target works with bodies. They must be a Medium, Janitor, or Skin Shifter.
Sheriff: Your target is not suspicious.

Story:
One of the most repulsing horrors to ever haunt Salem, the Skin Shifter is an abomination completely out of this world. It has no apprearance, for in the blink of an eye it can morph itself to perfectly imitate anyone it wishes. Surprisingly enough, the Skin Shifter was once a benevolent being. It used its' strange talents in order to aid struggling people in day-to-day business. It would help out the metalsmith who was busy at the bellows but at the same time needed to be in another part of the town altogether. It stepped in for people who were in struggling situations, handling public speeches and awkward encounters in their stead. However, the Town soon realized that something odd was going on and started an investigation. The Skin Shifter was too afraid to reveal itself to them, so instead it stayed in hiding for a while. Soon, the search for the truth behind the Skin Shifter was abandoned when the murders began and the Mafia planned their conquest of Salem. This is when the Skin Shifter decided that it would finally show itself to the Town. It stepped in during one of the city square meetings, demonstrating its' shapeshifting abilities. The amazed Town looked on with eyes and mouths wide open. This was when the Shifter explained how it could be of use to the Town. It said how it could blend in with the Mafia, learn all of their secrets, and destroy them from within. Of course, now the Mafia would know of the Shifter's plans, but it would make them even more paranoid and start turning on each other. It was perfect. However, the Town were skeptical of the Skin Shifter, and in the end decided to banish it from the Town, only deciding to not kill it due to the fact that it had generously offered to help the Town. The Skin Shifter was shocked, and disgusted. Why would they turn away its' help? It swiftly ran away, hiding in the outskirts of Salem. There, the Skin Shifter's anger and bitterness grew, until it became a seething hate for the Town and all of its' wretched inhabitants. That's when the Skin Shifter decided that it would not go away. It would consume and destroy Salem from within, just like it had planned to do with its' enemies. The Town had to pay for abandoning the Skin Shifter, and the price would be high. (HUUUGE Thanks to Rossendale!)

Additional Information (comments):
Witches, Retributionists, Transporters, Mayors, and jailed players are immune to assimilation.

Sample Achievements:
Underneath Your Skin - 1st game won $5
Balling up Anger - 5th win $5
Hatred for the Town - 10th win $10
Essence of Resentment - 25th win $25
I feel you - Assimilate into someone's skin $5
Bottoms Up - Devour someone's essence $5
No one will miss you - Have someone disappear the night you devoured their essence $10
Cannibal - Assimilate into the skin of a Werewolf $10
Auto-Cannibalism - Devour your own essence $25
Hurting as One - Assimilate into the skin of someone on the night they were attacked $10
All the Best People are - Assimilate into the skin of a Serial Killer $10
Sleeper Agent - Assimilate into the skin of a Mafia member $5
A Family, for once - Assimilate into the skin of the Godfather $10
Last edited by Totes on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Heroes Never Die

Guess who owns a genuine WW2 German infantry helmet. This gal.

Pokemon Resolute Nuzlocke Party:

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Re: Skin Shifter (Neutral Chaos)

Postby murat1996 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:19 pm

So wouldn't this be a Skin Walker of some sort?

What does this give to the game?
33-40-3 : My FM Record

Hosted: VFM13

My discord is fluffymurat#2318 if you really want it I guess...it's now a legacy name.

My discord is just fluffymurat
murat1996
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby Totes » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:22 pm

murat1996 wrote:So wouldn't this be a Skin Walker of some sort?

Maybe...?

I don't know I just thought it would be a really cool and fun addition to the game. Once it dies it's really powerful and something towns need to watch out for, as the next day the Skin Shifter could've become anyone. But it does have to die first.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby murat1996 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Totes wrote:

Maybe...?

I don't know I just thought it would be a really cool and fun addition to the game. Once it dies it's really powerful and something towns need to watch out for, as the next day the Skin Shifter could've become anyone. But it does have to die first.

Kind of a Reverse Retributionist and a Reverse Reverse Jester combined xD

Seems decent though

My discord is fluffymurat#2318 if you really want it I guess...it's now a legacy name.

murat1996
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby Totes » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:31 pm

murat1996 wrote:
Totes wrote:

Maybe...?

Kind of a Reverse Retributionist and a Reverse Reverse Jester combined xD

Seems decent though

That gives me confidence that Murat thinks my role is decent.

Thank you!
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Kirize12 wrote:/support

Seems cool, but I'd like to get it tested first.

Thank you for your support!

Getting it tested is my goal as of now for this role.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby mikucake » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:40 am

It's a pretty interesting role, but I would like some questions answered.

1. If a Skin Shifter turned into a Serial Killer, Arso or Werewolf, it would sound really weird if they had no night immunity and were just killed by the mafia or vigilante. Maybe add the night immunity?

2. When you assimilate somebody, will the target be converted into the body of the Skin Shifter?

3. Let's say you turned into a town role, will you have the same goal for town or will you be secretly working with the other factions? If the Skin Shifter goal is to take revenge on town, it would be unusual to choose a town role. Maybe disable the option to choose town roles?

4. When someone's essence is devoured, will they go to the graveyard with their names on the list, cleaned?

5. When you shifted into another skin and you die, will you be able to assimilate another target?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'll post another list if I do think of anymore :)
mikucake
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:53 am

It an interesting role, and one I would like to see added into ToS. Of course, my opinion means nothing, and I usually say this to most of your roles, but to be fair, you make really good roles.
This is where roles are tested:
ToS QR: Spoiler: Image FM wins: Spoiler: NFM 2 Mafioso WIN
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
FM 8C-Aragog (Arsonist) LOSE
My roles
Nightmarer(Maf Supp.)& Switcher(Maf. Supp.)- MY FAVS
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Location: Hanging out with Oliy and Kirize, playing ToS and talking about roles.

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:02 am

mikucake wrote:It's a pretty interesting role, but I would like some questions answered.

1. If a Skin Shifter turned into a Serial Killer, Arso or Werewolf, it would sound really weird if they had no night immunity and were just killed by the mafia or vigilante. Maybe add the night immunity?

2. When you assimilate somebody, will the target be converted into the body of the Skin Shifter?

3. Let's say you turned into a town role, will you have the same goal for town or will you be secretly working with the other factions? If the Skin Shifter goal is to take revenge on town, it would be unusual to choose a town role. Maybe disable the option to choose town roles?

4. When someone's essence is devoured, will they go to the graveyard with their names on the list, cleaned?

5. When you shifted into another skin and you die, will you be able to assimilate another target?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'll post another list if I do think of anymore :)

I think I can answer most of these,, but Totes will have to confirm.
1. personally, this makes the skin shifter op. I still believe that the skin shifter should only be able to assimilate into a town role, as it makes sense to have a new ability instead of being an amnesiac that is still against the town.

2. No that person will remain dead, but as it says, they will not show up or be able to talk in the dead chat. *TOTES plz consider this* Also cause medium is it's fatal flaw, i.e. dead notice talkative person in dead chat just stopped talking, I believe that you should make it med/ janitor/ skin shifter.

3. You will be secretly working for other factions. You want to see the town lose.

4. I assume they will go to the graveyard, to show that they don't exist anymore, but in the spot next to the name, it will say nothing or "Devoured".

5. No. That would make it to OP

Totes, plz consider the bolded portion and also correct me if I am wrong with any of these answers!
This is where roles are tested:
ToS QR: Spoiler: Image FM wins: Spoiler: NFM 2 Mafioso WIN
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
FM 8C-Aragog (Arsonist) LOSE
My roles
Nightmarer(Maf Supp.)& Switcher(Maf. Supp.)- MY FAVS
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Location: Hanging out with Oliy and Kirize, playing ToS and talking about roles.

Postby Totes » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Arpitr20 wrote:
mikucake wrote:It's a pretty interesting role, but I would like some questions answered.

I think I can answer most of these,, but Totes will have to confirm.
1. personally, this makes the skin shifter op. I still believe that the skin shifter should only be able to assimilate into a town role, as it makes sense to have a new ability instead of being an amnesiac that is still against the town.

2. No that person will remain dead, but as it says, they will not show up or be able to talk in the dead chat. *TOTES plz consider this* Also cause medium is it's fatal flaw, i.e. dead notice talkative person in dead chat just stopped talking, I believe that you should make it med/ janitor/ skin shifter.

3. You will be secretly working for other factions. You want to see the town lose.

4. I assume they will go to the graveyard, to show that they don't exist anymore, but in the spot next to the name, it will say nothing or "Devoured".

5. No. That would make it to OP

Totes, plz consider the bolded portion and also correct me if I am wrong with any of these answers!

Thank you for the assistance while I was gone, Arpitr. My opinion now:

1) What Arpitr said.

2) Technically, but they would be unable to talk in dead chat anyways so it wouldn't matter.

3) What Arpitr said.

4) They will go to the graveyard, but it would only say their name. This would only happen on the day they disappear, and would be without ceremony.

5) What Arpitr said.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 pm

I apologize for double post.

I don't understand what you are getting at in the bolded section.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby oliy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:00 am

I kind of like it, but to get a clear view on the role, make the attributes and ability more player-friendly. Even I got confused my first two times reading it.
Consider most roles. You won't be able to do much with that ability, and it just kills but in a weird way. I don't think it fits as chaos, because Chaos so far is someone who wants to take over the town but just in a weird way other than killing.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby LadyAnnabelle » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:14 am

good role, its awesome, it should be in ToS. Totally :P
LadyAnnabelle
Spy
Spy

Postby Totes » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:20 am

oliy wrote:I kind of like it, but to get a clear view on the role, make the attributes and ability more player-friendly. Even I got confused my first two times reading it.
Consider most roles. You won't be able to do much with that ability, and it just kills but in a weird way. I don't think it fits as chaos, because Chaos so far is someone who wants to take over the town but just in a weird way other than killing.

I was thinking chaos because I designed it to screw over the town and Mafia. But I see what you're trying to say. I'll change it now.

Also, I'm not really sure on what to simplify and what not to simplify. Do you have any pointers?
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby murat1996 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:29 am

Totes wrote:
oliy wrote:I kind of like it, but to get a clear view on the role, make the attributes and ability more player-friendly. Even I got confused my first two times reading it.

I was thinking chaos because I designed it to screw over the town and Mafia. But I see what you're trying to say. I'll change it now.

Also, I'm not really sure on what to simplify and what not to simplify. Do you have any pointers?

I think the first attribute should be its ability, because it needs to have an ability.

murat1996
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby Totes » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Update! The attributes have been simplified as to avoid confusion. Now all italicized writings are just extra information pertaining to the aforementioned attribute. There are also now Sample Achievements!
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Update! Thanks to Rossendale, we now have a story! Yay!
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby DeathBell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Totes wrote:Beforehand information: All italicized writings is just additional information to the previous attribute or whatever.

Role Name: Skin Shifter

Role Alignment: Neutral Chaos I think Evil fits it a bit more due to the want everything dead except neutrals.

Ability:
Upon your death, you will be able to assimilate another's skin the next night.

Attributes:
-You are unable to speak in the dead chat, and neither will your victim.
-Upon successful assimilation, you will completely become your target outwards.I assume you just replace the target completely and send your target to the dead?
You will also be able to perform that player's abilities and appear as their role to investigative roles. If your target has night immunity, you will NOT receive that night immunity, but if you assimilate a role that can do something to obtain night immunity, you will gain that night immunity. Should definetly be seen as Skin Shifter or it's way too hard for town to find it. I assume you get the same limitation in terms of uses when assimilating a bg,doc and survivor? Otherwise its too strong.
-Unless you have assimilated a Neutral Killing role, you will have a second column of buttons which is used for devouring someone's essence.
If you devour someone's essence, they will appear alive to the town the following day, but the next day they will completely disappear, no body, no revealing of role. The only exception is that if your target was attacked by another killing role, they will disappear the following day rather than the day after that.Wait, Can you do the devour at the same time as you can do other ability?(the assimilated one that is). That would be ridiculous if that were the case. I think the role should be revealed also.
-Your target will know if their essence was devoured.
-Your target will know if their skin was assimilated into.

Goal:
Take revenge on the town that abandoned you
Wins with:
-Werewolves
-Witches
-Survivors
-Jesters
-Executioners

Special Attributes:
Unique role.

Investigative Results:
After assimilation, you will appear as your victims role to Investigative roles.
Invest/Consig: Your target is an unholy abomination. They must be a Skin Shifter!
Sheriff: Your target is not suspicious.

Additional Information (comments):
Witches, Retributionists, Transporters, and jailed players are immune to assimilation.Mayor should definetly be included and jailor is debateable. Mafia is also debateable as the knowledge of 2 confirmed roles and alignment might be too much.
Survivors are immune to both assimilation and devouring of essence.Why? Too many vest use or?

Sample Achievements:
Underneath Your Skin - 1st game won $5
Balling up Anger - 5th win $5
Hatred for the Town - 10th win $10
Essence of Resentment - 25th win $25
I feel you - Assimilate into someone's skin $5
Bottoms Up - Devour someone's essence $5
No one will miss you - Have someone disappear the night you devoured their essence $10
Cannibal - Assimilate into the skin of a Werewolf $10
Auto-Cannibalism - Devour your own essence $25
Hurting as One - Assimilate into the skin of someone on the night they were attacked $10
All the Best People are - Assimilate into the skin of a Serial Killer $10
Sleeper Agent - Assimilate into the skin of a Mafia member $5
Best Intentions - Assimilate into the skin of the Mayor $10
A Family, for once - Assimilate into the skin of the Godfather $10

It's alright. A bit too strong in it's current state but it's not bad.
Last edited by DeathBell on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can always pm me if you want me to comment your role idea
Favorite roles: Witch,Veteran,Transporter and Consort/Escort
Boring roles: Any direct killing roles

DeathBell
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby DeathBell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Arpitr20 wrote: Of course, my opinion means nothing

Meh.. Everyones opinion matters regardless of post count or game knowledge. The only thing you need to consider when stating an opinion is to make it not rude or unproductive.
You can always pm me if you want me to comment your role idea
Favorite roles: Witch,Veteran,Transporter and Consort/Escort
Boring roles: Any direct killing roles

DeathBell
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Totes » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Edits made in accordance to recommendations.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Totes wrote:

Don't you just love it when you say you'll do something and then you wait an entire day to do it but then "forget" about it? XD Sorry I've done that now.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:07 am

Kirize12 wrote:It's good as an NC because NC's should have the goal Survive to see the town and mafia lose the game.

They can't kill to accomplish these methods.

Well then I'm in a tough situation aren't I? Chaos fits more, but chaos' shouldn't be able to kill to accomplish their goal.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 pm

I would enjoy feedback, unless you all think it's perfect.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Kirize12 wrote:Actually they can accomplish something in order to kill and still be NC.

I'd reccomend giving it four rituals. If it does, or is lynched, performing a ritual, then it can take someone's skin and do whatever else it does.

If it does without performing the ritual, it loses.

What do you mean by this? It's a little confusing for me.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Totes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Kirize12 wrote:
Totes wrote:
Kirize12 wrote:Actually they can accomplish something in order to kill and still be NC.

I'd reccomend giving it four rituals. If it does, or is lynched, performing a ritual, then it can take someone's skin and do whatever else it does.

If it does without performing the ritual, it loses.

What do you mean by this? It's a little confusing for me.

N1: Skin Shifter summons evil energy. The Mafia attack and kill Skin Shifter.
Everything occurs as normal.

OR

N1: Skin Shifter summons evil energy.
D1: Skin Shifter is lynched.

Everything occurs as normal.

OR

N1: Skin Shifter decides not to summon evil energy. The Mafia attack and kill Skin Shifter.
The Skin Shifter doesn't get to take someone's skin and loses the game.

Thank you for clarifying. I have made the proper adjustments to fit this recommendation.
Heroes Never Die

Squidgins - Inkay
Barracutea - Basculin
The Hood - Scrafty
Pwn-iard - Pawniard
Brave Birb - Talonflame
Totes
Vigilante
Vigilante

Next

Return to Role Idea Archives