ToS Card Game Role Ideas Thread

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

ToS Card Game Role Ideas Thread

Postby oliy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:15 pm

Since I moved into my college dorm rooms, I have found a group of people who I regularly play the Town of Salem Card Game with. Naturally, we're starting simple role-wise and working our way up, but the desire for new roles is always there. Some of the existing roles are alright, some are kind of eh in my opinion.

This thread is for discussing ways to change up existing roles, or to propose new role ideas for cards!

If you aren't familiar with the available cards, here's a list of all of them.
They are different from Town of Salem default roles, so I recommend reading through them if you aren't familiar.

Just as a general rule for ToS TCG gameplay:
For simple games, you'll only use a couple of these roles at a time, since it's easy for players to remember and moderators to organize. However, if you have an advanced setup (a computer connected to a TV for example), you can create games with a bunch of these complex cards together! This gives you the option to add whatever roles you want to the game, and change them however you want.

There won't be any "official" list of changes/roles here. Every group you play with will have their own setup and rules they incline towards. For example, you might not want to reveal anyone's roles upon death. Every role has a few variants in the rulebook and a few potential changes you can choose to make. You may also use any role idea from this thread that you want. This is my personal document outlining my group's rules and what roles/changes I want to try out with them. I will be updating it with any new role ideas I like in this thread.

When coming up with roles for the card game, you do not need to follow the standard rolecard format. Just give a brief 1-2 sentence description for what the role does to put on a card, and then any further details a moderator should know underneath.
Example:
Role: Arsonist (Neutral Killing)*
Ability: Douse one person in gas each night, or ignite all doused targets. You cannot be killed at night.
Notes: Players do not know if they have been doused. Dousing and igniting cannot be stopped by a Doctor, Bodyguard, or Night Immunity. Shows as good to Sheriff.

*Note: There are no official alignments in the card game, but we can use ToS role alignments to establish what we expect from the role. For example, Neutral Killing means this role is alone in trying to kill everyone else, and will be night immune.

General requirements for a good TOS TCG Role:
- No Night Feedback (feedback is awful to establish within an IRL environment (especially with a lot of roles), it's easier to have everyone perform their actions and get results and such within one move)
- No roles that rely on remembering lots of information (Ex. Lookout, Transporter, TOS Witch, TOS Investigator; All require potentially memorizing multiple targets from each night and remembering them later, and Investigator requires memorizing a list of possible results)
- No roles that rely on specific communication with other players or the dead (Ex. Medium, Jailor, Retributionist; It's impossible to establish private communication in an IRL environment, and the dead enjoy watching the complete show and should not be consulted)
- No bad roles :v)

With all that said, feel free to share any ideas for roles you think would work well specifically in the card game environment! This can include new roles, role changes for standard roles, or feedback on roles people have posted or roles that are in my document!

If you want to be part of a more active discussion, there is a channel specifically made for this topic in the Testing Grounds Discord Server!

One final note: If you ever plan on playing with a lot of new roles or role modifications, I recommend purchasing a set of card sleeves. They're good to have around in general since they hide any telling bends/tears in cards and preserve your cards better, but with sleeves you can slide in little slips of paper that feature role changes or new roles entirely. The four blank cards may not be enough depending on who you are :v)

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Return to Role Ideas