Sniper (Neutral Evil)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

What is your opinion on the role?

It is good as is and should be submitted for testing.
18%
It needs small changes to be more balanced.
27%
It needs large changes to be feasible.
No votes
The idea is bad and should be scrapped.
55%

Total votes : 11

Sniper (Neutral Evil)

Postby EtherealEnder » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Sniper - Neutral (Evil)

Abilities:
Select a target at night to threaten them.

Attributes:
If a threatened target is voted onto the stand, they are dealt a powerful attack immediately and the day will end as if they were hung.
You may not threaten the same person two days in a row.
Jesters cannot be threatened.

Notifications:
For the role:
You have decided to threaten X tonight.
You have instead decided to threaten Y tonight.

For the target:
Someone promised to kill you if you were voted up. You were threatened!
You were voted onto the stand. You have died!

System:
X was shot through the head as soon as they got on the stand.

For spies:
Your target was threatened!

Goal:
live to see town lose the game blahblah

Special Attributes:
Hypno can make people think they are threatened

Investigator Results:
invest: with bmer
sheriff: uhhhh. inno?
consig: Your target is terrifyingly intimidating. They must be a Sniper!
Last edited by EtherealEnder on Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
My name is Axeras :>

Join the Testing Grounds!
EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Re: Blackmailer Rework (Idea by Kirize12)

Postby EtherealEnder » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:50 pm

update 10/13/21: now a bmer rework instead of a coven role

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:12 am

considering things.

what if this was NE? would the ability to "kill" be too much for ranked, or...?

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:38 am

EtherealEnder wrote:considering things.

what if this was NE? would the ability to "kill" be too much for ranked, or...?

I like it as a bmer rework since it keeps the core purpose of blackmailer (making it harder to prevent players from defending themselves) while fixing up a problematic role. But I'm not opposed to making an NE and don't think the killing would be a problem since you still need to get someone onto the stand, which would still require a Townie to vote the wrong way in LyLo.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:57 pm

I like it as a bmer rework since it keeps the core purpose of blackmailer (making it harder to prevent players from defending themselves) while fixing up a problematic role. But I'm not opposed to making an NE and don't think the killing would be a problem since you still need to get someone onto the stand, which would still require a Townie to vote the wrong way in LyLo.

I must disagree with you on this being the core purpose of bmer. i think bmer is more made to prevent people from sharing important information. this kinda encompasses defense, but i think it's more broad than just that.
LyLo is "lynch or lose" right? as in if town doesn't lynch an evil that day, they lose? i suppose it could end up making that situation a lot more deadly very quickly. idk if Mislynch or Lose is a term still but it could also help a lot with making that deadly as well

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Boredfan1 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:06 pm

Blackmailer needs a rework but it shouldn't be a killing role. Making the only possible outcome death for the blackmailed person is just not fun for the blackmailed person and it should still be fun.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby EtherealEnder » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:48 am

Boredfan1 wrote:Blackmailer needs a rework but it shouldn't be a killing role. Making the only possible outcome death for the blackmailed person is just not fun for the blackmailed person and it should still be fun.

i mean you COULD just not get voted up

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby DecDecAttack » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:59 am

Boredfan1 wrote:Blackmailer needs a rework but it shouldn't be a killing role. Making the only possible outcome death for the blackmailed person is just not fun for the blackmailed person and it should still be fun.

Just claim blackmailed lol, then you won't be voted up.
DecDecAttack
Executioner
Executioner

Postby alex1234321 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:22 am

How is this a killing role? It replaces a lynch, which will occur nearly every day in a balanced game, with another lynch. Fine maybe it replaces a Maf death with a Town death, but if you manage to get a blackmailed townie on the stand you deserve the advantage that you would get. Also it discourages VFR so this wouldn't happen as often as you might think.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:57 am

DecDecAttack wrote:

anyone can claim blackmailed though, including mafia. if a mafia claims blackmailed, it could be an easy way to get yourself off the hook -- which is why town has to decide whether someone is lying or not

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Boredfan1 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:34 pm

EtherealEnder wrote:

i mean you COULD just not get voted up

You can't always stop it...

EtherealEnder wrote:
DecDecAttack wrote:

anyone can claim blackmailed though, including mafia. if a mafia claims blackmailed, it could be an easy way to get yourself off the hook -- which is why town has to decide whether someone is lying or not

Town RARELY believes that someone is blackmailed if they didn't have the time or knowledge to spam votes and signal it so the town will lynch them 9/10 times. And this comes up fairly often actually.

alex1234321 wrote:

How is this a killing role? It replaces a lynch, which will occur nearly every day in a balanced game, with another lynch. Fine maybe it replaces a Maf death with a Town death, but if you manage to get a blackmailed townie on the stand you deserve the advantage that you would get. Also it discourages VFR so this wouldn't happen as often as you might think.

EtherealEnder wrote:Attributes:
If a blackmailed target is voted onto the stand, they are dealt a powerful attack immediately and the day will end as if they were hung.

Currently, if someone gets hung while blackmailed, you're only indirectly responsible but now, you're directly responsible.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby EtherealEnder » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 am

You can't always stop it...
Town RARELY believes that someone is blackmailed if they didn't have the time or knowledge to spam votes and signal it so the town will lynch them 9/10 times. And this comes up fairly often actually.

Well i mean you don't have to spam votes anymore. You can talk now. You just say "hey I'm bm'd" and town has to decide whether they trust you enough to let you off the hook for a day. In this case, if someone claims bm'd and gets hung anyway, town probably thought they were an evil trying to buy themself some time.

anyway, I'm gonna make this NE. I think it'll be a nice change.

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Re: Sniper (Neutral Evil)

Postby MR60G0LD » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:24 pm

I like this sniper idea, a creative way to kill players, however I feel it would work better as a mafia role, only because late game if there is no survivor, what do you do?

You can't kill anyone in a 1v1 situation so this being a solo role, weakens it for me, but outside of that i really like the role.
MR60G0LD
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Sniper (Neutral Evil)

Postby EtherealEnder » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:30 am

MR60G0LD wrote:I like this sniper idea, a creative way to kill players, however I feel it would work better as a mafia role, only because late game if there is no survivor, what do you do?

You can't kill anyone in a 1v1 situation so this being a solo role, weakens it for me, but outside of that i really like the role.

i mean... in a 1v1 the game would end like it does with witch? since your goal is to see town lose, and if you are 1v1 against a townie then, like witch, you lose. witch can only 1v1 against a vigilante, but this role cant 1v1 at all which i think isnt a problem since you really should not let the game get to that point anyway

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Return to Role Ideas