Lore Keeper (Neutral Chaos)/Shaman (Neutral Chaos)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

decent role?

ready for testing
No votes
needs a change or 2
33%
needs major edits
33%
no....
33%

Total votes : 3

Lore Keeper (Neutral Chaos)/Shaman (Neutral Chaos)

Postby MorganTheMod » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 pm

This role is inspired by Native American beliefs of being in harmony with nature and not disturbing others and their activities.
Role Name:
Lore Keeper

Role Alignment:
Neutral(Chaos)

Abilities:
You may perform a ceremony for the Great Spirits, establishing a sanctuary within Salem.

Attributes:
None.

Goal:
Be promoted to a Shaman.

Win Conditions:
Must successfully create three sanctuaries to become a Shaman.

Investigative Result:
Sheriff- Innocent results
Investigator- Your target must be a Lookout, Forger, Witch/Coven Leader, or Lore Keeper.
Consigliere/Coven Leader- Your target performs ceremonies for the Great Spirits. They must be a Lore Keeper!

Role Name:
Shaman

Role Alignment:
Neutral(Chaos)

Abilities:
You may select a target during the day to grant a spiritual block. (Cannot be vote for to be Smote)
You may select a target at night to cast a spiritual vote for.

Attributes:
Receives one vote for the Greats Spirits' Smite selection.
Cannot be lynched, visited, or killed at night.
Will ascend (die) the night after becoming a Shaman.

Goal:
Ascend to live with the Great Spirits!

Win Conditions:
Wins with everyone.

Notifications:
Spoiler: Fear overwhelms your body. You may not speak to other players in order to preserve the sacred customs of the Great Spirits. (To Lore Keeper at beginning of discussion phase)
You may not reveal the customs and traditions of the Great Spirits to the town! (When the Lore Keeper tries to send a message)
I must not reveal the customs and traditions of the Great Spirits. (Shown to town when the Lore Keeper tries to talk during defense after being voted up by the town. Similar to "I am blackmailed.")

You have decided to perform a ceremony for the Great Spirits in (Target)'s honor! (After Lore Keeper selects a target at night)
The Great Spirits are pleased and have advanced you to the rank of a Shaman! You will ascend tomorrow night. (Shown to Lore Keeper after successfully creating 3 sanctuaries)
(Name) has pleased the Great Spirits and became a Shaman! They will ascend tonight! (Shown to town at the beginning of the discussion phase)
You have decided to grant (Name) with a spiritual block. (Message shown to Shaman, similar to Jailors message)
You have voted to Smite (Name). (Vote message sent to Shaman and Graveyard members)
(Name) has ascended with the Great Spirits. (Death message shown to town after a Shaman has ascended)
(Name) was Smitten by the Great Spirits. (Death message shown to the town of who the Great Spirits voted for)
You were Smitten by the Great Spirits! (Death message shown to the player at night)
A Guardian Angel has bartered their life for yours! (Shown to player at night when they have been saved by a Guardian Angel from being Smitten)
The Great Spirits turned you away from their sanctuary. (sent to player if they tried to visit someone with a sanctuary.

Special Attributes/Notes:
Spoiler: A sanctuary is established when a Lore Keeper visits someone who did not target another player that same night, and no one else visited this target. There must be no disturbances(visits) to the Lore Keepers ceremony for it to be successful.
A Lore Keeper may not create a sanctuary at the same place twice or at their own house.
Players will be turned away if they try to visit a player with a sanctuary at their home.
Players with a sanctuary can still be voted for.
A sanctuary will remain in place until the player votes for another player at daytime or visits another player at day or night. (Native American belief is that men should be allowed to live without disturbing others or being disturbed, infringing on others (voting/visiting) revokes your blessings.)
The Shaman and whoever has the spiritual block(shaman day time ability) will appear as not an option for the Smiting to Graveyard members.
If any Graveyard members do not vote, their spiritual vote will not count instead of it being randomized.
Graveyard members will select their spiritual votes at night time. They may not select the Shaman or a person with a spiritual block.
A Guardian Angels protection will save a target from being Smitten but will cost the Guardian Angel their life if they are not already dead due to them upsetting the Great Spirits.
No means of protection or transportation besides a Guardian Angel can protect a target from being Smitten (ie. Doctor, Transporter, Potion Master, etc.)
On the night of ascension, the Shaman will not have a box to be selected by other players. This also applies to day abilities.
A Lore Keeper's and Shaman's will's are not shown to the town regardless of when they die.
A Shaman may speak during the day, but cannot vote a player during the voting phase.
A player with a sanctuary must decide if they want to keep safe and unvisitable or if they want to vote/visit and help their faction.
Sanctuaries will be removed when the Lore Keeper becomes a Shaman.

Open to suggestions for the lore.

Achievements:
Tribesman: Win 1 game as Lore Keeper.
Sachem: Win 5 games as Lore Keeper.
Chieftain: Win 10 games as Lore Keeper.
Great Spirit: Win 25 games as Lore Keeper.
Unintentional but Satisfactory: Smite a the Guardian Angel of your original target.
Unholy Disease: Attempt to Smite a Pestilence.
Spirit's Slave: Perform 6 ceremonies in one game. (successful or unsuccessful)
Witch's Wish: Create a sanctuary from the graveyard via a Necromancer. (sanctuaries aren't super beneficial for coven so this would be rare I imagine)
Last edited by MorganTheMod on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Lore Keeper (Neutral Chaos)/Shaman (Neutral Chaos)

Postby Cabohhh » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:19 pm

I don't like this role, mainly because it limits you from speaking during the day.

It's the entire point of the game. If you can't speak during the day, what's the point?
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Grey's Anatomy, Season 5, Episode 6, 3:17
Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby EtherealEnder » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:32 pm

I think it's jusf phrased a little strangely. You can't speak during the day WHEN YOU DO THE RITUAL thing. Its like blackmailing yourself

at least this is how i read it
My name is Axeras :>

Join the Testing Grounds!
EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby MorganTheMod » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Cabohhh wrote:I don't like this role, mainly because it limits you from speaking during the day.

It's the entire point of the game. If you can't speak during the day, what's the point?

the no-speaking bit was there for when the lore keeper's goals and abilities operated almost completely independently from the rest of the town, which i have more recently changed now to the sanctuary ability. The no-talking was a way to keep them isolated and more observant. I'm all for removing the anti-speaking limitation if its really a deal-breaker.
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Benn3 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:35 pm

Lore Keeper should be able to speak during the day; as Cabo said, it's a fundamental part of the game. Shaman is just really confusing, they seem to have confusing abilities when they only last for one night? Them being unable to be lynched, visited, or killed is also very perplexing, no role should be fully invincible. This also seems more like a Neutral Benign than a Neutral Chaos, considering they just need to wait three nights, become a Shaman, and then win N4. It's too easy to win with unless the game ends quickly.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby MorganTheMod » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Benn3 wrote:Lore Keeper should be able to speak during the day; as Cabo said, it's a fundamental part of the game. Shaman is just really confusing, they seem to have confusing abilities when they only last for one night? Them being unable to be lynched, visited, or killed is also very perplexing, no role should be fully invincible. This also seems more like a Neutral Benign than a Neutral Chaos, considering they just need to wait three nights, become a Shaman, and then win N4. It's too easy to win with unless the game ends quickly.

the lore keeper has to successfully cast and create sanctuaries... it will take longer than 3 nights. It is chaos because the sanctuaries will mess up visits and the Smite.
Shaman is just the filler role that the Lore Keeper becomes when they reach their goal but before they die, essentially. everyone will know who the Shaman is. All the Lore Keeper does when they become shaman is (Day) - pick someone to save from the spirit vote, and (night) - cast their single spirit vote. that night they will die/ascend, having won the game. They aren't trying to survive or target anyone, just in Limbo the day before and night of their ascension.
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby MorganTheMod » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:46 pm

removed inability to talk and hearing dead chat during daytime bits.
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Ideas