Role Association – TOWN

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Role Association – TOWN

Postby Cookazoo2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:11 am

This thread contains Town roles which have synonymous or similar-themed names to the existing Town roles and have different abilities to them.

Deputy
Target two players.
You will be informed if there is a guilty between them.

Inspector
Target someone.
You learn how similar they are to their target that night.

Watcher
Target someone.
You learn a list of three people who they visited or were visited by.

Stalker
Target someone.
You note down all new footprints at their house.
Any footprints you recognize you are informed of.

Informant
Target someone.
If they are in a private communication or visit someone in private communication you learn.

Oracle
Make a prophecy and anonymously reveal it during the day.
If the prophecy turns out to be true the town is informed of this.

Nurse
Target two people during the night, bestowing Weak Basic defense.
If someone is given Weak defense and survives an attack of the same power then the attack is delayed a night instead of stopped.

Constable
Target someone at night and pick a priority group.
You’ll try to turn away people in that priority group.

Hunter
Mark someone at night.
You will shoot anyone who’s been marked if they also visit.

Knight
Selftarget at night to move to a random visitor to your current place’s house.
You will bestow Basic defense while at that player’s house.
If you do nothing you’ll follow your target to whoever they targeted.

Militia
You have one cannon which deals Powerful attacks.
If you shoot a Townie the cannon misfires and kills you instead.
Your target knows you shot at them even if it misfires instead of hitting them.

Major
Give guns to everyone who visits a target at night, twice.
Target someone with a gun to shoot whoever they visit.

Warden
Target someone to jailkeep them.
Roleblock through immunity, Powerful defense.

Infiltrator
You took the place of a groupscum in their meetings.
That player will join the meetings again if you die.
You appear to have the same role as the stolen one.
Scum names are anonymized.

Diversion
Create a diversion at someone’s house, redirecting all their visitors onto you. Also you force their ability onto you.

Deflector
Deflect all visitors to one player to another.
That’s all.

Governor
During Last Words, once in the game, you may stop an execution, even your own, and force things into the night phase.

Gravedigger
Target a dead player at night.
You gain an invention which does a random ability from their investigation bracket. You do not know the ability until you use it.

Channeler
Channel a dead player during the day.
That player is permitted to speak with you the night following, and may control you to use their ability.
Hiya. I'm a Tactical Mafia Kills supporter.

Help balance the Aliens!
Cookazoo2
Doctor
Doctor

Re: Role Association – TOWN

Postby Salocin481 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:01 pm

A lot of the criticism is going to be "This role doesn't need to exist, ____ role already fits its niche". I get that's what a lot of these roles are going for, but some overlap wayyy too much.

Also some of the roles don't have enough detail for me. I would've LOVED some of these roles if they were more fleshed out. Right now, there's just not enough substance.

Deputy:
I don't really see the use of this role when we already have Sheriff? Like I get that it has that it provides more information, but you get exactly the same information in exactly the same amount of time. (If anything, I'd say it's less reliable than Sheriff... It adds that layer of uncertainty, and can cause mislynches from town.)

Inspector:
Can you go into more detail abt this? what exactly does this role do? does it give you "Similar!" or "Not Similar!"? Do two townies count as similar? or does it have to be two TK? Sounds a lot like the Maid from Throne of Lies, which could be a very well done role! It just depends what counts as similar and not.

Watcher:
This is just LO combined with Tracker. If you Watch a townie, they can tell you who they visited, and all the info is cleared up. Too strong. It's a lot like the Agent by MarsGodofWar, but for Town.

Stalker:
Does it just give you "There are old footprints here"? or does it tell you who visited? Sounds like a bit of a weaker LO, since it can't see who visits the first time you see them.

Oracle:
I really like this one! It depends what the Prophecy is, but it could be a rework to Psychic :) with your permission, can I make a full fleshed our role of this? I'll link this page and give you credit.

Nurse:
I think this is underpowered. I have my own role similar to this which I think is a little more fleshed out that this, and you can find that here , but when it comes to Nurse, can a Doctor save a patient who's delayed from death entirely? I think if they can, there's a little bit more strategy in your role.

Constable:
This sounds a little like the Bouncer by CaveSpider17, except you need to guess who visits. I wouldn't be opposed to this role, it may just need a few balancing tweaks, because it might be a bit underpowered

Hunter:
This is a pretty random TK. You're not going to be able to pick WHO you kill (like Vigi/Vet), or WHEN you kill (like Vet). I see Hunter more... stumbling into kills than anything, and most of them will be town. This also reminds me of the Duelist by sunbird1002 which marks 2 people a night, and only kills attacking roles. It's a TP version of Hunter.

Knight:
This is RNG. I am a hugeee no-RNG person, so this causes a lot of problems for me. It's too weak in its current state. Doc provides Powerful to any target of your choice, while Knight provides only Basic to a random target. The tracker aspect doesn't help it, I don't think.

Militia:
You very rarely need powerful to kill a target, and giving up two bullets for that isn't quite enough. I like the canon misfiring, which makes it less swingy, but it does confirm a townie if you shoot them. Maybe a Vigi re-work?

Major:
This is "set up Vets at other places". Maybe the guns only shoot one person? Might need a little balancing, since there's so much potential to kill (Namely, a Vet every night after n1 on basically random people) However, I really like the concept!

Warden:
This is just Jailor?

Infiltrator:
This just excludes a mafia from talking with their team, and there's a reason Spy can no longer see Maf chat. It removes the ability of Mafia to coordinate well, so I'm not a huge fan...

Diversion:
This sounds a lot like Hostess by Cabohhh, and so a lot of my thoughts on that apply. I think it's cool! I would read into the discussion on this role for feedback on Diversion though.

Deflector:
This is just one way transporter. There's nothing *wrong* with it, but trans does the job already.

Governor:
This has a similar place in the meta as Mayor, although probably weaker? I like the idea of a role that can sway executions in a different way, but I don't think a single use ability is the way to do it... Maybe change the way that trials work? Plus, Governor and Mayor combo can basically mean town has so, so much more power.

Gravedigger:
So you gain the ability RANDOMLY of either Invest/Consig/Mayor for example? What does this mean if you use the ability of a Mayor? Does it just fail? This is INCREDIBLY swingy and based on RNG again... It's a weaker Retri, in all honesty

Channeler:
Medium + Retri then? Why does the dead player get to pick what you do? Takes away agency from the Channeler, in all honesty. Not a massive fan of this...

Anyways that's my initial thoughts on every role

Let me know abt Oracle! Maybe you want to flesh it out, or maybe you want to work together? Just let me know :)
Last edited by Salocin481 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salocin481

Re: Role Association – TOWN

Postby Benn3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Cookazoo2 wrote:This thread contains Town roles which have synonymous or similar-themed names to the existing Town roles and have different abilities to them.

Deputy
Target two players.
You will be informed if there is a guilty between them.

Just a Sheriff that can target two players. No.

Inspector
Target someone.
You learn how similar they are to their target that night.

This is just the Scientist role that was suggested quite a while back.

Watcher
Target someone.
You learn a list of three people who they visited or were visited by.

A Mafia LO has already been suggested many times, and yes, many people do indeed want it.

Stalker
Target someone.
You note down all new footprints at their house.
Any footprints you recognize you are informed of.

Isn't this just FM Miller, or wherever it came from?

Informant
Target someone.
If they are in a private communication or visit someone in private communication you learn.

In a Ranked environment this is just a slightly altered Sheriff.

Oracle
Make a prophecy and anonymously reveal it during the day.
If the prophecy turns out to be true the town is informed of this.

0 elaboration so I have no clue what this role's purpose is.

Nurse
Target two people during the night, bestowing Weak Basic defense.
If someone is given Weak defense and survives an attack of the same power then the attack is delayed a night instead of stopped.

Allowing them to target 2 players is not a sufficient way to back up the fact they only delay the attack of their target by one Day, although it does seem unique.

Constable
Target someone at night and pick a priority group.
You’ll try to turn away people in that priority group.

Tf do you mean by "priority group"? Do you mean faction? Cause then this is just FM Marshal.

Hunter
Mark someone at night.
You will shoot anyone who’s been marked if they also visit.

Pretty much my Sniper role I'm guessing, you gotta elaborate more. Like instead of making a megathread where you post one sentence for each role idea, make one role thread for each role so you can actually explain things in detail.

Knight
Selftarget at night to move to a random visitor to your current place’s house.
You will bestow Basic defense while at that player’s house.
If you do nothing you’ll follow your target to whoever they targeted.

"Selftarget at night to move to a random visitor to your current place’s house. My brain hurts from reading this sentence and I have no idea what this role actually does.

Militia
You have one cannon which deals Powerful attacks.
If you shoot a Townie the cannon misfires and kills you instead.
Your target knows you shot at them even if it misfires instead of hitting them.

Vigilante with one bullet. This is all that is. In Ranked a Powerful attack vs a Basic attack is almost no change unless you're trying to shoot a Witch, Godfather, or Executioner.

Major
Give guns to everyone who visits a target at night, twice.
Target someone with a gun to shoot whoever they visit.

EVERYONE who visits a target? So essentially you're a nerfed Vigilante that can only make people shoot who they visit. It'll just come down to "hey I gave you a gun, please visit so and so", and if your target is a Mafia member they won't.

Warden
Target someone to jailkeep them.
Roleblock through immunity, Powerful defense.

This is just... Jailor?? Jailor except they are called Warden. "Roleblock through immunity, Powerful defense." Wtf is this wording? Do you mean they are roleblock immune and have Powerful defense? Do you realize how overpowered Jailor would be if they had RB immunity and permanent Powerful defense?? What ru smoking my guy

Infiltrator
You took the place of a groupscum in their meetings.
That player will join the meetings again if you die.
You appear to have the same role as the stolen one.
Scum names are anonymized.

This is just the original Spy except you can join in the conversation and easily get the Mafia to tell you their roles and shit. No.

Diversion
Create a diversion at someone’s house, redirecting all their visitors onto you. Also you force their ability onto you.

Already seen a role like this and it's not really a good idea.

Deflector
Deflect all visitors to one player to another.
That’s all.

So this is just a Transporter then.

Governor
During Last Words, once in the game, you may stop an execution, even your own, and force things into the night phase.

Why? What Town member would want to force the Day into the Night phase? Also because it only has one use, you'd be waiting around all game as a paperweight.

Gravedigger
Target a dead player at night.
You gain an invention which does a random ability from their investigation bracket. You do not know the ability until you use it.

"You gain an invention which does a random ability from their investigation bracket. You do not know the ability until you use it." Wtf do you mean by this? Again, the wording is really weird. Do you mean you gain a random ability of one of the roles in their Investigator result? So like if you select an Ambusher, you'll get an ability of a Veteran, Vigilante, Mafioso, or Ambusher? That's just a weird overcomplicated Retributionist.

Channeler
Channel a dead player during the day.
That player is permitted to speak with you the night following, and may control you to use their ability.

This seems more like a Medium rework than an entire new role. Also the controlling aspect is just Retributionist's ability, except the Retri can choose who they want to target.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Return to Role Ideas