The Bootlegger (Mafia Support)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

The Bootlegger (Mafia Support)

Postby Cabohhh » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:43 am

Role Name:
The Bootlegger

Role Alignment:
Mafia Support

Abilities:
During the night, make a drink in your house.
Depending on the drink given, your chosen target will be given a buff or debuff.
Your visits can be seen by Lookouts and Spies.
If there are no more kill-capable Mafia roles, you will become a Mafioso. (Without TMK)

Attributes:
There are four types of alcohol you can make:
- Vodka: Your target loses the ability to specifically target a player, but will now use their ability on two people (Only Mafia can be targeted with this ability.)
- Strong Whiskey: Your target will be granted Basic defence for the night. The attacker will not learn that their target was too powerful to kill, and your target will be too drunk to learn that they were attacked.
- Gin: Your target will be confused for two nights. They will still get their results, but they will not know who they targeted.
- Molotov Cocktail: Deal a Powerful attack to a chosen target. You can only make one Molotov per game.
After a player has drank, they cannot drink again for two nights due to the hangover.
Gin and Molotov Cocktails can only target non-Mafia players.
You will spend one night to make a drink.

Notifications:
Bootlegger:
You will spend one night making [Drink].
You will give [Position] [Drink].
You will instead give [Position] [Drink].
You have decided not to give anyone drinks.
You have used your Molotov Cocktail. You may not make any more.

Player:
You were given Vodka by a Bootlegger! You targeted two random non-Mafia players.
You were given Strong Whiskey by a Bootlegger!
You were given Gin by a Bootlegger! You are now confused.
You were given Gin by a Bootlegger yesterday. You are still confused.
You were set on fire by a Bootlegger's Molotov Cocktail! (If killed)

Spy:
Your target was given drinks by a Bootlegger!
Your target was set on fire by a Molotov Cocktail!

System:
[Position] was set on fire by a Molotov Cocktail.

Goal:
To kill all who would oppose the Mafia.

WinCon:
Standard Mafia WinCon.

Special Attributes:
If you target a Spy with Gin, the mafia visits will be scrambled. At least one visit will be correct.
If you target a Psychic with Gin, their foretell will be scrambled. There may be no evil people on odd nights, and there may be no good people on even nights.
If you target a Retributionist/Necromancer with Gin, they will keep the same graveyard target, but their zombie will target someone random.

Investigator Results:
Sheriff: Your target is suspicious!
Investigator: Doctor/Disguiser/Serial Killer/Potion Master/Bootlegger
Consigliere: Your target illegally distributes alcohol for the Mafia. They must be a Bootlegger!
Last edited by Cabohhh on Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Grey's Anatomy, Season 5, Episode 6, 3:17
Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: The Bootlegger (Mafia Support)

Postby Salocin481 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 pm

This role kinda flew under the rader, but I think it's got an issue with RNG...

I actually don't know why Spy can't see Bootlegger visits to Maf. I think more maf roles that can visit maf nerf Spy's ability to rule out people. Might actually be a strength of Bootlegger!

Vodka is really RNG heavy, and can be really swingy. (Imagine giving Vodka to a Vigi, that can potentially be 3 town kills) Does TI still receive info if Vodka is used on them? I'm not sure how I'd change this without just making it Mafia Witch though.

Whiskey sounds really powerful, because it's a Mafia TP, and can stop all killing TP, Vigilante, and all threatening Neutrals (Besides a fully powered Jugg). Though, I can't think of a situation in which the attacker not knowing the person they attacked has any use, because the attacker can just go 'Oh I didn't kill anyone, so my target has defense' On another note, maybe only grant Basic defense? Stopping Vigi and Crus as well as most evils, but not BG and Trapper sounds fair enough imo. Let me know what you think!

The there's Gin. Does it randomize your target? If so, it's just Vodka but only uses the ability on one person, and the RNG problem still appears. If not... then the person you'd use it on would still know who they targeted? I don't quite understand this one.

The Cocktail is actually the most balanced drink I think. A one time extra kill for mafia that takes 2 nights to activate sounds both useful but also fair.

This role is really strong but super RNG heavy. I LOVE the concept, but I think it needs a few tweaks to be balanced :)
Salocin481

Postby Cabohhh » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:22 am

Salocin481 wrote:This role kinda flew under the rader, but I think it's got an issue with RNG...

I actually don't know why Spy can't see Bootlegger visits to Maf. I think more maf roles that can visit maf nerf Spy's ability to rule out people. Might actually be a strength of Bootlegger!

Vodka is really RNG heavy, and can be really swingy. (Imagine giving Vodka to a Vigi, that can potentially be 3 town kills) Does TI still receive info if Vodka is used on them? I'm not sure how I'd change this without just making it Mafia Witch though.

Whiskey sounds really powerful, because it's a Mafia TP, and can stop all killing TP, Vigilante, and all threatening Neutrals (Besides a fully powered Jugg). Though, I can't think of a situation in which the attacker not knowing the person they attacked has any use, because the attacker can just go 'Oh I didn't kill anyone, so my target has defense' On another note, maybe only grant Basic defense? Stopping Vigi and Crus as well as most evils, but not BG and Trapper sounds fair enough imo. Let me know what you think!

The there's Gin. Does it randomize your target? If so, it's just Vodka but only uses the ability on one person, and the RNG problem still appears. If not... then the person you'd use it on would still know who they targeted? I don't quite understand this one.

The Cocktail is actually the most balanced drink I think. A one time extra kill for mafia that takes 2 nights to activate sounds both useful but also fair.

This role is really strong but super RNG heavy. I LOVE the concept, but I think it needs a few tweaks to be balanced :)

I realise that I forgot to say that Vodka was supposed to be Mafia-targetable only >-<

As for the whiskey, basic does sound more balanced than powerful defence, I'll change it.
(Also, the only role that can tank a hit and not give a notification to the attacker would be Witch, and if people realise that they didn't get a notif, they could out themselves via whispers)

Also, spies can now see all visits from the Bootlegger, regardless of who you visit.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Grey's Anatomy, Season 5, Episode 6, 3:17
Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Benn3 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:51 pm

I'm just very confused about this role.

"Your visits can be seen by Lookouts and Spies."

Why did you need to specify this when that is the whole point of LO and Spy lol

"- Vodka: Your target loses the ability to specifically target a player, but will now use their ability on two people (Only Mafia can be targeted with this ability.)"

Tf? Do you mean that it just randomly selects 2 players at the start of the next night? If so that's incredibly swingy and there's too much risk into using it. Mafia roles need to be able to think about who a good target is, same goes for Town, yet this completely throws that out the window and is RNG based.

"- Strong Whiskey: Your target will be granted Basic defence for the night. The attacker will not learn that their target was too powerful to kill, and your target will be too drunk to learn that they were attacked."

I can't really see this being too helpful; all it does is protect against Vigilantes in a Ranked environment; and that's it.

"- Gin: Your target will be confused for two nights. They will still get their results, but they will not know who they targeted."

Again with the random targetting; wdym they won't know who they targeted? They SELECT it during the night, it doesn't tell them afterwards who they targetted either because that would be unnecessary. Do you mean that it just removes the names of the players for the night? Then you can just go back in the chat log to see who is who. If it shuffles them around and removes the names, sure I guess, but you never specified really. Also you mise will just have it remove all their results for the night since not knowing who you checked makes your results useless; and if you're using it on a TP, Consort is there to RB them already if you need them to get off a TPLO claim. This is also RNG based.

"- Molotov Cocktail: Deal a Powerful attack to a chosen target. You can only make one Molotov per game."

No MS should have the ability to kill a player unless it takes the place of the factional kill. Besides, all the other abilities are support abilities, why throw this in? A Powerful attack is barely different to a Basic attack when it comes to Ranked too.

"If you target a Psychic with Gin, their foretell will be scrambled. There may be no evil people on odd nights, and there may be no good people on even nights."

Why not just give Framer the ability to affect Psychics instead of this? I'd be much more affective. Also too RNG based here I'd say. Plus players are literally notified when they are confused so there is 0 point in doing this other than to make their information useless, aka essentially role blocking them.

"If you target a Retributionist/Necromancer with Gin, they will keep the same graveyard target, but their zombie will target someone random."

Again with the random targetting. They SELECT who they want to target right? Or are you saying the game picks for them; because like I said earlier that is really swingy; it's essentially a nerfed Witch ability. It renders their entire ability useless, essentially just stopping them from using their ability, and Consort already exists for that. (also rng based)

TL;DR: This role is way too swingy and from the looks of it is pretty useless; it seems to hurt the Mafia more than it hurts the Town; and the abilities that do hurt the Town mise will be what the Consort does. It's also HEAVILY based on RNG and not in a helpful way.

/nosupport
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Return to Role Ideas