The Mystic (Coven Evil)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

How is the Mystic so far, in terms of balance?

Amazing, stellar, how is this not already being tested!!1!!!!!11
13%
Pretty good, could use some changes, but otherwise fine.
40%
Meh.
20%
Needs more power, all the powah!
No votes
Oh, Jesus. Gross.
27%

Total votes : 15

The Mystic (Coven Evil)

Postby Cabohhh » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Role Name:
The Mystic

Role Alignment:
Coven Evil

Priority:
1 (With Ambusher), 6 (Learning Roles)

Abilities:
During Full Moon nights, cast a curse on a chosen target.
With the Necronomicon, you deal a Unstoppable attack to your target after the curse is dispelled.

Attributes:
Casting a curse on a target reveals the roles of all visitors to your target.
One of the visitors will be dealt a basic attack.
If the curse is activated, all other visitors will be notified that someone was attacked by a curse.
The curse is dispelled when someone is attacked by the curse or two nights have passed.
You will gain the Necronomicon last.

You may place a curse on a Coven teammate, however, you will not be able to curse for the following two nights.
Coven teammates will not die to your curse.
Coven teammates cannot trigger curses.

With the Necronomicon, curses can be cast every night. The attacks dealt by the curse are now Powerful.

Curses can be purged by Guardian Angels.
If more than two people visit your target, your curse will be dispelled, and no visitor will be attacked. You will still be given a list of roles, and visitors to the cursed will be notified.
If all remaining non-Coven players have been cursed, the Mystic will be able to instantly trigger all curses.

Notifications:
Mystic:
You have decided to curse [Position].
You have instead decided to curse [Position].
You have decided not to curse.
Your curse was triggered!
A [Role] visited [Cursed Target].
All non-Coven players have been cursed. You can trigger all curses tonight.
You have the Necronomicon. You can now cast every night, and your attacks are now Powerful.
You casted a curse on a Coven teammate yesterday. You cannot curse tonight.
You casted a curse on a Coven teammate two nights ago. You cannot curse tonight.

Player:
Your target had a curse on them. (Curse trigger kill)
You were cursed by a Mystic! (Direct kill)
A curse was triggered by another visitor to your target.
A curse was triggered, but there were too many visitors.

Spy:
Your target was killed by visiting someone with a curse!
Your target was killed by a curse!
Your target had a curse placed on them!

System:
[Position] was killed by a Mystic's curse.

Goal:
Standard Coven Goal and WinCons.

Special Attributes:
None.

Investigator Results:
Sheriff: Your target is suspicious! (Without Necronomicon)
Investigator: Vigilante, Veteran, Mafioso, Ambusher, Pirate, Mystic
Consigliere: Your target causes death with trickery and sorcery. They must be a Mystic!

Achievements:
Denied- Have three or more people visit a cursed target.
Flaming Disaster- See a cursed target get visited by an Arsonist.
Not Today Satan, Not Today- Kill an Plaguebearer with a curse.
Extermination- Attack four people with curses in a single night.
You Betta Quirk- See a cursed target get visited by a Mystic.

Examples:
Example A: Basics
Spoiler: Player A is a Mystic.
Player B is a Consigliere.
Player C is a Mayor.
Player D is a Bodyguard.

Player A curses Player C (The Mayor) on a Full Moon night without the Necronomicon.
Player B decides to size up Player C.
Player D decides to guard Player C.

The curse triggers, and Player A learns that their target was visited by a Consigliere and a Bodyguard.
Player B dies to the curse.
Player D learns that another visitor triggered a Mystic's curse.

Example B: Disguisers and Retributionists
Spoiler: Player A is a Mystic.
Player B is a Disguiser.
Player C is a Retributionist

Player A has a curse on Player B.
Player B decides to disguise themselves as Player C.
Player C uses a dead Sheriff on Player B.

The curse attacks Player C's Sheriff-Zombie.
Player B is notified of a triggered trap.
Player C learns that their zombie was attacked.
Player A learns that their target was visited by a Sheriff and Retributionist.

Lore:
Spoiler: 21 seconds.

21 seconds was all it took for collapse.

She wasn't hurt, of course. She had the protection of a Guardian Angel.

She watched as her house was set ablaze, the smell of burnt wood in the air, charred ashes floating in the sky like confetti. She was left virtually unscathed, save a few bruises leaving the house, and minor singing to her hair. All her memories were inside, the childhood doodles of flowers and trees, the first bead necklace she made, her favourite dolly. All gone in a wretched blaze.

She knew who the culprit was, of course. He pretended to be a simple Investigator, but she knew it was him. As they dragged the burnt corpses out of the other house, she saw the hunger in his eyes, the fire, the passion, the anticipation. But alas, why would they take the word of a simple girl against that of a highly-regarded Investigator? After all, she had no evidence.

That night, she was approached by a figure from the darkness. She was slender, with a unnatural hue, an extravagant cloak, and a rather curious hat.

"You're very lucky, you know." Said the woman. Her voice was lower than one would expect, but still high enough to be recognized as female. "You seem in bad sorts for a girl that's still alive."

The girl turned and faced the peculiar woman. "How is any of this lucky? My house burned down, my belongings have been destroyed." She paused slightly, steadying herself. "I have nothing, so how could you say that I'm lucky?" she yelled, angered by the woman's nonchalance.

The woman looked at the girl, watching her huddled on the floor. "Look around you, my dear. All these charred, burnt houses, all these people who were once filled with hope, all dead, cooked to a crisp. And yet here you stand, perfectly healthy." reasoned the woman, plucking out a bit of ash from the girl's hair as she did so. "You should be grateful that you are alive right now."

The girl had no rebuttal. She was too concerned to argue with the woman. "Why are you here?"

The woman adjusted her hat, and tucked her hair back. "I have a proposition for you."

The girl nodded. "What proposition?"

The woman flicked dirt off of her hand. "I'll help you kill the Investigator, in exchange for a favour."

The girl flinched. How did this woman know, with such certainty, her thoughts and wishes? "How did you-"

She was interrupted by a laugh. "I'm the Coven Leader, my dear." said the woman nonchalantly, swatting at a fly in front of her. "And you're right about him, you know."

The girl was taken aback. She was taught that the Coven was the manifestation of the purest evils, that they were to be burned, to avoid them at all costs, and yet standing in front of her was the leader, flicking away insects.

"What favour?" asked the girl. She was concerned. Would she be killed? Would she have sell herself? Would she have to do all sorts of unsavoury things?

"I've been looking for a new addition. We would protect you, and you're quite knowledgeable." The Coven Leader put down her staff, and put out her hand. "It's lonely here in the Coven, and honestly, the Poisoner is weird, and the Hex Master is a pain. She never does anything useful despite everything I've said, and I need to put my teaching into good use."

The girl pondered for a second. Should she refuse the Coven Leader, and risk death? Or should she join the Coven, and get revenge? Should she abandon her teachings, for her own personal gain.

She put her hand out, and shook the Coven Leader's hand vigorously. "I accept your proposal."

The Coven Leader smiled. "Wonderful. You'll stay with me tonight, and then I'll introduce you to everyone in the morning." She paused. "Don't look at Medusa. We can reverse the stoning, but it takes too long, and I don't want to be around the Potion Master longer than I have to."

The girl smiled, and pondered her new life. She would learn from the Leader herself, and she would make herself feared.

And thus, the Mystic was born.

Rolecard can be found here.

Last edited by Cabohhh on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:22 am, edited 34 times in total.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Grey's Anatomy, Season 5, Episode 6, 3:17
Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: The Mystic (Coven Evil)

Postby Ezradekezra » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:18 pm

FM Blackmailer as a Coven role is a pretty cool concept

I would suggest having curses last only for the night they're cast and letting the Mystic curse someone every night tho, since with the Necronomicon it's only able to get a kill off every other night, which is even weaker than Poisoner with the Necronomicon.

Aside from that issue, /support
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Cabohhh » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:I would suggest having curses last only for the night they're cast and letting the Mystic curse someone every night tho, since with the Necronomicon it's only able to get a kill off every other night, which is even weaker than Poisoner with the Necronomicon.

Aside from that issue, /support

Oh, I may have forgot to mention that you can cast every night. You can have two curses up at the same time.

Edit as of July 17th, 2021: This comment is inaccurate. The Mystic can normally only cast on Full Moon nights.
Last edited by Cabohhh on Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby MorganTheMod » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:54 pm

It is always fun to see new ideas for the Coven, and this didn't disappoint.
This gives me Coven Ambusher vibes with an investigative twist, and I don't mind it.

would you specify more about the necronomicon ability? after the curse runs out (whether that's one or two days) the target dies, but if someone visits the Cursed person (curse is dispelled), do they also die, meaning a possible 2 deaths with the necronomicon?

Spoiler: if this is the case, you should think about equalizing the early/late game. if the necronomicon ability allows for the occasional 2 kill per night (KPN) then maybe without ncrnmcn the Mystic should be strictly investigative. I know it sounds weird. but as you are throwing curses each night which last for a night or two, you learn roles of visitors to that target, and you could certainly add another buff to this investigative side, or a deceptive side such as people cursed appear under a different investigative result or suspicious to a sheriff, similar to a hex.
Maybe at the end of the Curse's duration you learn their role (if too OP you can change this to IF no one visits your target while they have curse)
Or you know who your target visits like an added tracker function? could get messy if curses last more than one night though.

i don't see anything wrong with the occasional 2 kpn as the coven leader can get this if they find a Godfather. And by the time a Mystic gets the necronomicon who knows how many coven members are left, so i personally would choose that route (visitor and cursed target die with necronomicon, and no killing without necronomicon, just investigative) but up to you, as there are other possibilities!

you could also do the kills one visitor before necromicon, and with necronomicon kills target no matter what and kills visitorss as well, or kills visitors for 2 nights, who knows.

This is only one of many possible combinations to try, but i would suggest that when deciding you think about how the necronomicon ability will change this role, and if it still offers something to the coven before it had to necronomicon, which will make people want to play this role.

also how does a doctor or guardian angel's protection affect a cursed target? will it purge the curse or would the doctor be killed

will targets know that they are Cursed?

in the abilities you have that they only cast curses on full moon nights, but under attributes you have they can cast every night. i think that the mystic should be able to cast a curse every night, which sounds like your original intention.
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Sorry, I realized that I wrote the role rather confusing.

Without the Necronomicon, the Mystic can only curse on full moon nights, however, with the Necro, the Mystic can curse every night.
GA does purge curses from their target.
With the Necro power, if the trap is triggered, it will kill the person the curse is on. If the curse runs out, the target will be dealt an unstoppable attack.
I made it on Full Moon nights so that you could have a curse on someone, then entice a TI/TP to go on your cursed target. This way, you couldn't be able to constantly have two curses up without it being late game, or having the Necro. Coven is much too dependant on gaining numbers through killing, so I made it so that a kill wasn't always guaranteed until you gain the Necro.

Thanks for the feedback!
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby runningwiththepower » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:09 pm

This role is pretty interesting

/support
runningwiththepower

Postby MorganTheMod » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:29 pm

thank you for clarifying that.
does the curse take effect the night it is cast or the next night? meaning if a player visits the same target as the Mystic will they die from the curse?

i am actually rather confident in the Mystics ability to get kills early on, as there are a lot of visits that go unnoticed by the entirety of the town when thinking about TI, TP, TS, Mafia, and some of the Neutral Chaos.
I’m wondering if we should take a page form the ambusher’s book and nerf this a little so that kills aren’t constantly being set off.

maybe not necessarily giving out the Mystics name, but maybe giving information bits about the Coven to people who visit a cursed target and survive. maybe like remnants of information that were left when the curse was cast such as number of coven members alive, psychic-like information such as “there is a poisoner or a potion master in the coven.” or something like that? or no one is killed if there is an even number of visitors? if it doesn’t need a nerf then that’s fine just wondering because i’m worried that there will actually be a kill more often then not early in the game from curses. but it might not be an issue due to the full moon bit. definitely something that will need testing in a 15 player game setting.
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:05 am

The curse takes effect from the night it is cast, meaning that you could cast your curse N2 and kill someone with it the same night.

I have made it so that if the cursed target is visited by more than two people, then the curse doesn't kill, and visitors are notified that a curse was triggered. Hopefully, this will balance it out a little more.

The Mystic has a huge capability of getting kills off, but because they can only be cast on Full Moon nights, I feel like it's fair. At most, for the first 4 nights, you'll get 2 kills maximum without the Necronomicon. If you do get Necro, that means that you're losing numbers, so I feel like it's a good balance.

I've made the Necro kill Powerful instead of Unstoppable. It was brought to my attention that it was "op as hell", so I've changed it.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:20 pm

I've changed the Mystic more now (please god stop me).

You can now cast curses on Coven teammates, so no one is insta-confirmable not coven anymore. If you do choose to place a curse on a Coven teammate, you will be restricted for two nights.
I've also made it so that Spy can tell when someone is cursed from a bug (They'll probably die, but whatever).
Two examples have been added to explain the role in further detail.

I've also added the condition that when all remaining non-coven players have been cursed, the Mystic can force-trigger all curses. This is just so that it's not like endgame Poisoner, which really, really sucks.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:20 pm

New changes:

-A rolecard has been made for the Mystic.
-Achievements added.
-Added and cleaned up some of the notifications.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:09 pm

New Changes:

-Certain redundant notifications removed.
-Investigative results changed from BG/GF/Arso/Crus line to Vig/Vet/Maf/Amb/Pir line.

That's about it.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:43 pm

So after some testing, it seems that Mystic is a lil boosted. To remedy this, I've made it so that the Mystic will now get the Necronomicon last.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Kirize12 wrote:This role, alongside Ambusher and Crus, really needs to not be random to be honest.

Why? Nothing gets revealed, and it's not really there to stop anyone from doing anything. It's to get kills. As long as someone that isn't coven dies, that's beneficial.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Ideas