A Neutral Evil with no real name.

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

A Neutral Evil with no real name.

Postby SilverCruz » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:14 pm

Die-By-Night Operator isn't a really fitting name, and Reverse Jester would be too on-the-nose, so here we go.

Special Attack (Unstoppable)
Invincible Armor (Reduced by one stage each time you receive an attack at night)

- Cannot be the target of a Guardian Angel.

- At night, visit one target. Your action depends on that target's circumstance.

- If you visit a target who has a Bodyguard, you will provoke the Bodyguard into attacking you, causing you to receive a Basic attack. This interaction will not kill the Bodyguard (you are too weak to deal even a Basic attack or for them to have to use Powerful force), with them instead being told that they were roleblocked. If their target is attacked by a third party the same night, that attack will get past the distracted Bodyguard. You can only receive one attack in this fashion per night (so if the target has two Bodyguards, you won't distract both).

- If you visit a target who is attacked by a third party, you will get caught up in the crossfire and receive a Basic attack. This does not prevent the attacker's original target from getting attacked.

- If you visit a target who is not attacked and who does not have a Bodyguard, you will complete the visit if you are not not roleblocked or controlled, but do nothing except show up. This will get you shot by a Veteran, but that's kind of the sort of thing you're going for.

- If the Jailor attempts to execute you while you are still Invincible, they will be told that they were roleblocked, but your armor will still be reduced to Powerful.

- You win by dying at night by any means. Surviving to the end of the round or being lynched results means failure.

- When you win, you may choose a member of the Town to deal an Unstoppable Attack against. If there is at least one Medium in the round who is either alive or still capable of performing a seance, then you will be silenced and cannot speak until they're knocked out and either leave or blow their seance. You take the phrase "Dead men tell no tales" rather literally, after all. (Note - As I believe that the Medium should be overhauled to remove its talking to dead chat, having it instead scrape auto-generated Wills off of deads, this caveat would be redundant if that were implemented)
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: A Neutral Evil with no real name.

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:48 am

sounds as an intresting concept but it doesnt fits in NE and it could cause some problems like encouraging evils to act lazy in order to pretend to be....this, (just like how evils now decide to not have claims ready and pretend to be a jester)
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby runningwiththepower » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:10 pm

this isnt a bad role---i actually like it---but it is a bit complicated. or maybe there's just too many big words :P
so its like this:

"Clown" (i would do a name similar to Jester......maybe 'Mime' ? or 'Pulcinella' or 'Dottore' after stock Jester characters from Commedia dell'arte)
has Invincible Defense but with each attack, does down 1 level.
Invincible>>>>Powerful>>>>Basic>>>>None.
Once killed, can deliver an Unstoppable Attack to a Town member.

Ok. I like it. But the chance of them getting attacked 4---even 2 times in a single game is kinda of low. I think maybe they should be able to visit 2 people at night? Or maybe---if anyone visits their Target they receive a self inflincted attack??? It just seems too hard otherwise.

And then for the Unstoppable attack----i dont really think the Medium thing is necessary. But what would happen if this role spawned in AA and all the Town roles are dead? it could happen......plus Unstoppable Attack is cool but i think the mechanism for which it delivers its Unstoppable attack should be buffed as compared to the basic Jester. So maybe 2 Unstoppable Attacks? Or something of that nature? Rampage Attack? IDK.

I like the idea though, it just needs some finetuning.
runningwiththepower

Postby SilverCruz » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:56 pm

If all the Town roles were knocked out but the game was still ongoing, it would either redirect itself to be an attack against anyone still active, or simply not execute. In the latter case however it still counts as a win.

The Medium asterisk is to prevent it from being able to sell out the Mafia, else it could result in really stupid situations like "I'm [this role] execute me and I'll tell Medium who's not Town.". It shouldn't benefit the Town to get rid of this thing, and that's a case where you really have no choice but to get gag the role. Naturally, it's suspended if there is no Medium because in that case the information can't get out without somebody cheating, so it doesn't need to be gagged.

As for needing to get attacked up to four times to go down, I can see that to an extent. Abusing player behaviour would be a way to go about it. If someone says "im jailor tplo on me", then you pay them a visit, and if there's a Bodyguard your Invincible armor cracks. Someone lays out some obvious Vet bait, maybe pay them a visit, or at least keep them in mind since if you do drop by, get shot, and nobody dies then it becomes clear that something's going on and either you must exist or a Doctor made a very convenient decision, though if you fly under the radar you can keep camping that Veteran since he's a fairly reliable venue of getting shot. Someone claims Investigator and nobody seems to notice, pay them a visit to try to line up with a Mafia attack. Claim Vigilante to bait a real Vigilante into counterclaiming you the Vigilante's way (though this would be best done if you've already broken all of your armor so that he doesn't get the chance to call you immune and push for a lynch, and the Witch is already down so the Town thinks it's safe to let you stick around), make a super lame claim to the Jailor, that sort of thing, and in Coven drop by priority targets to try to find a Crusader or fish out somebody's Trap. The way I see it, it's like this role does have a normal attack, but the attack is so weak that it can't actually kill anybody even if they have no defense, to the point that the target isn't even notified.

I think Mime might be a good name if only because of the existing mime jokes and the fact that I imagine that the normal "attack" could be pantomiming the action of pulling out and firing a gun. The Bodyguard is just like, really wary of threatening motions or something.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby runningwiththepower » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:14 pm

I suppose you could think creatively to get those extra hits but I still think allowing either:
A. 2 visits
B. If anyone visits their Target they get an Attack

would make it a bit easier for the role to progress. I think #B defo especially fits with the whole 'Mime' aspect of it.
I love doing examples so allow me to do an example:

Abda-Aria is Mime. N1, Abda-Aria selects Baron. Baron is Jailor and called for TP-LO. Abda-Aria visits Baron; a LO was on Baron. Abda-Aria is fake 'attacked' by the LO; Abda-Aria's Defense goes from Invincible>>>Powerful. etc etc etc.
runningwiththepower

Return to Role Ideas