Neo Retributionist MK1 - Town Protective.

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Neo Retributionist MK1 - Town Protective.

Postby SilverCruz » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:06 pm

Needs a distinct name, of course.

- Unique

- Bracket is Medium/Janitor/Retributionist.

- If a member of the Town is killed, they will be informed of your existence. (Also applies to Mediums, and dead quits are no longer announced to anyone except this and Mediums)

- At night, you can choose to visit a dead member of the town. If your visit succeeds, you will resurrect them.

- The resurrection is... pretty squidgy, so resurrected players cannot speak or receive whispers (if the Jailor or a Medium is resurrected, they are also silenced at night). That said, they may still write to their Will.

- You may attempt to resurrect players which appear in the Graveyard to be a member of the Mafia or which are cleaned. If their true alignment is not Town, then your attempt will fail. When the player is dispatched again, their true role will be shown unless they were cleaned or forged again, but not at the time they are resurrected (you are also not informed of their true role when your resurrection succeeds).

- You may only have one target resurrected at at a time, and cannot choose a new target to resurrect the night after a successful resurrection. If you attempt to resurrect a player who has left the game and succeed, then you may use their Night Ability at night and use them to vote during the day, but you will be silenced (including if Jailed) until they are killed or you put them to rest (If someone attempts to whisper you at this time, you will not receive their whisper and they will not be told that it failed). You cannot attempt to resurrect a target and use your current disconnected target's Night Ability at the same time. If you resurrect a disconnected Jailor and choose to jail somebody during the day, then the Jailor screen will completely overtake your normal night screen, and you cannot write to your Will while in this state. You also cannot jail yourself, and will not be notified if the resurrected Jailor is attacked until the next Day.

- If you are killed, the player you have resurrected will also die. If your resurrected target is attacked successfully, they are killed again and cannot be resurrected a second time.

- Your ability takes priority over the Retributionist's ability, and you cannot resurrect a target who was already used by the Retributionist, with them likewise being unable to use a target that you have already resurrected.

Message - "Though you are damaged, someone has brought you back to the world of the living!", given to a target when they are resurrected.
Message - "Your tether to this world was severed and you collapse in a heap!", given to a target when the player who resurrected them is killed.
Message - "Your tether to this world has laid you back to rest.", given to a resurrected target when you resurrect another player. (Does not run the "You have died!" effect or message)
Message - "You cannot speak as long as your current ward walks this Earth.", given when trying to type while a disconnected player is currently resurrected.
Message - "Something seems wrong about your target, so you chose to leave them be.", when attempting to resurrect a player whose true role is not Town-aligned.
Message - "The body you checked was too far gone to be of any use.", given when attempting to resurrect a player the Retributionist already used.

PROS
- Adds a Town Protective that works differently than Doctor and Bodyguard, so damages the Jailor Meta since a role that can protect the Jailor is no longer a guarantee.
- Works like the old Retributionist, which was a fundamentally different role, but it's nerfed to hell and back.
- Resurrected Townies cannot lead the town particularly well since they cannot speak or be whispered.
- Has a backup plan if a desirable resurrection target has quit.

CONS
- Unique and blatantly obvious, just like old Ret, so not easy to lie about if you're a bad guy.
- Backup plan does still give more than one role to a single player, even if it cripples them while they utilize that.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Neo Retributionist MK1 - Town Protective.

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Resurrection is simply a bad mechanic, also this has absolutely nothing of town protective
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby SilverCruz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:48 pm

It's reactive, rather than preventative. That's still protection.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:15 pm

No its not, and even if it was, reviving is objectively broken as a mechanic
This role is as confirmable as the "almity wesly jailot"
It can confirm mediums aswell by writing them in your will
Is is not a town protective by definition and by funcionality
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby SilverCruz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:33 pm

Jailor's main problem is that it's a deadlocker that also just so happens to be an objectively superior version of two other Town roles, and it's nearabouts always static.

Plus, I continue to uphold that Medium's connection to dead chat should be thrown out completely in favor of having it just scrape auto-generated Last Wills that include the result of the night the target got smacked.

In any case, try not to take this one too seriously. Take the Framer one more seriously.

SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Return to Role Ideas